Event Pre-Releases

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
I want to go to a Pre-Release tomorrow but have some questions:
1. Do I need sleves for a Pre-Release?
2. Do I need to register somewhere/how do I register?
3. I have never been to a real life tournament before, do I need anything else?
Thank You!

Hey! If you're planning on attending a prerelease, here are a few suggestions:
1. Although they aren't 100% necessary, I VERY strongly suggest bringing some sleeves (you will need at least 40). Shuffling cards is a pain without them, and if you pull nice things, it is best to keep them in sleeves in the event that someone wants to trade with you.
2. Normally, you do not need to register in advance/online for prereleases: you just show up during the registration times, and pay the admission cost.
3. If this is your first real-life tournament, there are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Make sure to keep track of the stuff you bring. I have lost decks before, and they are a pain to replace.
  • Make sure you know the rules, as well as proper etiquette (basic stuff like offering to cut/tap the deck, shaking hands with your opponents after a game, etc.)
  • Bring Dice if you can. Dice help you keep track of damage, and can be used for coin flips as well. D6's (6 sided dice) are best for damage counters and can be used for coin flips, but I personally would recommend a D20 if you have one.
  • Tournaments--especially prerelease tournaments--can be long and rough. Bring something else to do if you can, like an extra deck, DS, or the like to keep yourself entertained during rounds, especially for when you finish early.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask! I have played in a few prereleases, as well as helped staff some.

Thanks,
-Alpha

I want to go to a Pre-Release tomorrow but have some questions:
1. Do I need sleves for a Pre-Release?
2. Do I need to register somewhere/how do I register?
3. I have never been to a real life tournament before, do I need anything else?
Thank You!

You don't need sleeves, but they're recommended. Consider the wear and tear of playing without them.

When you go to a tournament you register with the organizer or whomever is registering players. They won't be difficult to find. You don't need to preregister for any event unless they've required you to, which is rare for a pre-release.

Bring the things you'd need to regularly play with -damage counters, GX token etc.

Thank You all! I don't have any sleeves but I do have damage counters and a GX Counter. Thanks again!

If you are going to the Celestial Storm one check out my article about it and to register you just rock up to your local league.

I highly recommend buying sleeves (they were $5 for 60 at my card shop). I didn't think I'd need them but tried them anyway and they made shuffling easier and kept the cards from getting too damaged during play.

Back