• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format (Post-2018 Rotation) Beast Box ft. Trump

John InCENAroar

Praising the Vish, Praying for Sableye V
So I hear that Stakataka GX makes Beast Box kind of viable. Thought I'd put my list in the ring, since I'm not sure everybody's doing what I'm doing.

Pokemon (14):
  • Poipole (3)
  • Naganadel GX (3)
  • Stakataka GX (4)
  • Xurkitree GX (1)
  • Celesteela (1)
  • Kartana GX (1)
  • Tapu Lele GX (1)
Trainers (32):
  • Ultra Space (4)
  • Ultra Ball (4)
  • Cynthia (4)
  • Guzma (3)
  • Ultra Recon Squad (1)
  • Acro Bike (3)
  • Beast Ball (1)
  • Choice Band (2)
  • Lillie (1)
  • Tate and Liza (2)
  • Copycat (2)
  • Field Blower (1)
  • Max Potion (4)
Energy (14):
  • Metal (5)
  • Unit Energy [L][P][M] (4)
  • DCE (4)
  • Beast Energy Prism Star (1)
For those Unfamiliar with Beast Box as an archetype, the basic strategy is to fill the bench with Ultra Beasts and then use Naganadel GX's first attack, Beast Raid, to 2HKO pretty much anything. Obviously that didn't pan out so well before this set, since Naganadel didn't really have any good partners until now. With the introduction of Stakataka, however, this changes. Since Stakataka is the most useful Bench-sitting Ultra Beast to date, Naganadel can be used as more of a frontliner than a supplement, as it was used before.

To support this, I only use 1 Lele, out of necessity, but the rest are ultra beasts, which allows for the maximum base output of Beast Raid to be used more often. Now what others have done is use strictly Metal types, such as Dusk Mane Necrozma, as supplemental damage, but I think that may get in the way of the core focus, which should be Naganadel. That is why I have instead included tech cards like Kartana and Xurkitree, which can utilize their GX attacks for a single Unit Energy, which are generally of a higher utility than Naganadel's GX attack. Unit energy also includes Psychic Energy, which enables Naganadel to use it's second attack relatively easily when the bench is not full.

As for trainers, most people would probably include a Beast Ring in their versions, to power up their supplemental damage like dusk mane, for instance. I, however, have opted to not include one due to the fact that supplemental support is not the strong suit of this list, and the basic energy count is fairly low. As for my other trainers, a combination of 4 Ultra Space and 4 Ultra Ball ensure that I have what pokemon I need, when I need it 99% of the time. Draw support is also fairly consistent in my opinion, with 4 Cynthia, 2 Tate and Liza, 2 Lillie, 2 Copycat, 3 Acro Bike, and 2 Ultra Recon Squad. With a total of twelve draw supporters, I can probably have whatever I need whenever I need it, making the deck extremely consistent.

I think my list is mildly unorthodox, making Naganedel the primary focus instead of just a supplement, but in my experience it seems to work out okay in the end.

Edit 1:
  • +4 Max Potion
  • -1 Field Blower, -1 Lillie, -1 Beast Ball, -1 URS

Last edited:
Max Potion? The biggest strength of Naganadel-GX/Beast Box to me is being able to 2HKO things for one Energy while spamming Max Potion.

Uhmm...where are the beast rings? You will have to attack with Stakataka too sometimes.

You don't need Kartana. Swap it for a copy of baby Dusk Mane. Xurkitree is useless in this deck imo and you don't need the unit energy either. I'm not even sure if Beast Energy is needed for Naga, as you will be 2-shotting most things and it's easy to get rid of anyway. I wouldn't play DCE either. Naga's GX is not that good (unless you want to build some sort of gimmicky deck based on it) and Naga is the only one who can use DCE. Stakataka's GX attack is much better for closing games. I'd play about 9 basic metal, and maybe, just maybe that new item that will let get back 1 energy to your hand or 3 into the deck - good for beast ring later on if you had to discard energy early-game. It's also a sort of super rod replacement, just worse.

I am honestly not a fan of Lele in this deck. The ideal board state is usually Naganadel in the active 3-4 Stakas, 1 Poipole and either Celesteela or baby Dusk on the bench, depending on the situation. Lele messes with that. I think with the right amount of supporters Beast Box is doable without Lele.

Not sure if Acro Bike is needed. Trashalanche will be pretty good post rotation, don't feed it more than necessary, seeing as you main attacker is weak to it. Tate and Liza is...ehhh, imo it's pretty weak, but that's all we can work with so I guess it's ok. I'd prefer simply using switch, but since it will be the second best draw supporter and can also work as a switch I guess you have to play it.
I'd do a 2/2 split between Max Potion and Acerola because Acerola doesn't discard your energy and sometimes you might not find another one immediately.

1 Beast Ball is good imo. Sometimes you really need that 4th Staka and it's not unlikely that you will prize one of them. 4 copies of CB are necessary imo. Also, you absolutely need 4 Poipoles.

In my defense, the second and third paragraphs explain why my list is the way it is and why some of the cards you recommend are not included. Specifically, I explain why Beast Ring is not in the deck, and why cards like Xurk and Kartana *are*. Although it does not explain the inclusion of Tapu Lele GX thoroughly enough, I suppose. Lele GX is broken. For a deck to succeed, it needs one, if not for the sole fact of pulling that last Guzma you need to win the game with Assembly GX, for instance. Normally, I would have two, so the option is usually available on T1 to grab a supporter if I have none, however, I reduced the standard count of 2 to 1, just so it minimizes the chance of having it in play, while also granting the ability to use it still.

I have yet to see substantial evidence that Trashalanche will see a resurgence, but if it does, the Acro Bikes would still have a purpose. If I had Beast Ring, it may be a different story, but that's another reason why I don't use them. A total of 11 Items is actually fairly low, considering a standard minimum of 8-9 being almost required for a competitive deck (4 Ultra Ball, 3 tools, 1-2 Field Blowers). That, paired with the fact that it is also weak to me, I really see little need for concern.

Finally, as for the DCE inclusion, I only use them for the support of Jet Needle half the time. The other half of the time I use it as a way to manually retreat the things like Xurk or Stakataka whenever I have either used my supporter or I don't have one of the ones that switches out my active upon use.

Back