XY Possibility of Dive?

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
So, i was looking at the Kalos map (specifically Coastal) and started thinking about Skrelp and Clauncher. Now, this is what i was thinking, "How would you fish a seahorse and a shrimp out of a river where they don't live?"

My guess is you find them underwater. I'm guessing that, because there's 4 surfable looking areas on the Coastal side, you may be able to surf and dive. 3 of the 4 seem to be deep enough to dive in, but one seems too narrow and shallow for Dive.

1_by_rubberyparts-d69fkn4.png

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think that's enough deep sea areas to bring back Dive. It might end up being gimmicky again like it was in 5th gen.

Flys Gone 2071

Also known as Flygon2071
I could see Skrelp appearing when surfing or fishing (Horsea, Seadra and Kingdra could be found this way) while Clauncher appearing in the coast (similar to Kingler).

If they are going to cut HM's, one of the first they would cut would be dive. I don't expect them to have Dive a must like in Gen 3.

jdivinity

Still a dorky art student
It would be pretty amazing to use dive in these new graphics. Exploring an endless sea filled with new Pokemon to discover would likely be my favorite part of the game if they used it.

Bashamo

The Original Fire Fighter!
It's possible but nay unlikely. From what we've seen with gameplay, this gen seems a bit too land oriented to even focus on the sea, dive seems really far off. These graphics would be great with dive however.

Chocolate Death

i never said it would be an HM, guys. it could end up being like Dig, a TM.
Or Flash, HM to TM.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
FloodBadge said:
i never said it would be an HM, guys. it could end up being like Dig, a TM.
Or Flash, HM to TM.

No one's saying whether or not it'll be an HM. Regardless of whether or not it is, the lack of deep sea water areas makes it not worth adding. It's not like Hoenn where half the region is water routes.

Theviking06

Aspiring Trainer
I think what I would like to see is Dive coming back and in the river ways and such is where you find more underground areas. Like you have to dive in the river to find a underwater cave entrance.

TheGuy

Member since '09
I actually thought about this when I first saw the map. There's little to no water in the region, I extremely doubt we'll see dive.

Chocolate Death

ok, if dive isn't necessary, then shouldn't that apply to moves like flash and waterfall?
i mean, there's few caves needing flash, and flash isn't mandatory for each cave in existence
and waterfall is only added for the waterfalls, which don't even need to be in the game.

Raptor9229

Aspiring Dragon Trainer
FloodBadge said:
So, i was looking at the Kalos map (specifically Coastal) and started thinking about Skrelp and Clauncher. Now, this is what i was thinking, "How would you fish a seahorse and a shrimp out of a river where they don't live?"

My guess is you find them underwater. I'm guessing that, because there's 4 surfable looking areas on the Coastal side, you may be able to surf and dive. 3 of the 4 seem to be deep enough to dive in, but one seems too narrow and shallow for Dive.

You can't tell if there are any dive spots just by looking at that map. If we do have dive it might be a TM this time rather than HM, Dive is practically a water type version of dig. In gen three fly and dive were weak but in gen one dig was super powerful but got downgraded in gen two but but dive got released which has since always had the same stats (power and accuracy) as dig.

The only difference between dive and dig was that in gen three you could literally go underwater and possibly coincidental that most of the pokemon that learn dive by level up are the ones you would expect to go deep under water. I would rather have dive not be an HM but rather a variation of dig and for anyone saying that HMs are worthless should remember that the ones that deal damage are good for the most part and a Slaking using Strength would be over 100 power not to mention its one hundred accuracy. But to get back on track my point is that you can't tell if there are going to be dive spots just by looking at that map alone.

Drohn

Wild War Dance
Being able to dive underwater was one of my favorite new features in Generation 3. I would really like it if they will return it. I would love to see underwater passages and more underwater maps.

There is enough water in the Kalos region, it is up to Gamefreak whether they want to make use of that!!

Frezgle

Winged Death
FloodBadge said:
ok, if dive isn't necessary, then shouldn't that apply to moves like flash and waterfall?
i mean, there's few caves needing flash, and flash isn't mandatory for each cave in existence
and waterfall is only added for the waterfalls, which don't even need to be in the game.

Flash has been demoted to ordinary TM status, so in a way, it's not necessary. The only caves that required it in Gen 5 were sidequest type things. If Dive does make a return, I can see it getting a similar treatment, because I don't see much deep ocean in the Kalos region. If there's any game to make Dive important again, it'll be possible Gen 3 remakes.

Then again, they could pull a fast one on us and have a whole new chunk of the region be on an island off the coast of the mainland, and then Dive might be important...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
FloodBadge said:

Flash is already a TM, so it's not necessary.

Waterfall, though, should definitely be downgraded because it's so pointless, all you do is use it to go up and down waterfalls, simple as that. Hell, if they design it so you never have to go up a waterfall to return to the main path, then it can't trap you if you don't have something that knows it (as long as they enable you to descend waterfalls without it), making its HM status unnecessary.

Raptor9229 said:
You can't tell if there are any dive spots just by looking at that map.

Maybe not, but we can deduce that there are only two spots in the region which are really suitable for Dive spots, and that's not really enough for it to be useful. Dive only really shines in areas that have lots of water like Hoenn.

Raptor9229 said:
If we do have dive it might be a TM this time rather than HM, Dive is practically a water type version of dig. In gen three fly and dive were weak but in gen one dig was super powerful but got downgraded in gen two but but dive got released which has since always had the same stats (power and accuracy) as dig.

HM status is not determined by how powerful the moves are. Rock Smash and Flash are clear counterexamples of that. It's determined by how useful they are in the field. Flash was downgraded to TM because it's not required in order to progress through caves, it only makes them easier to navigate. Rock Smash was removed because it was an unnecessary obstacle.

Raptor9229 said:
The only difference between dive and dig was that in gen three you could literally go underwater and possibly coincidental that most of the pokemon that learn dive by level up are the ones you would expect to go deep under water. I would rather have dive not be an HM but rather a variation of dig and for anyone saying that HMs are worthless should remember that the ones that deal damage are good for the most part and a Slaking using Strength would be over 100 power not to mention its one hundred accuracy.

You mean like using Dig to go underground and stuff? That'd be neat. I had a better idea that incorporates that, where Dig can be used to dig through any loose soil, including walls (allowing you to create new paths through rock walls) or floors (creating pitfalls).

DorianBlack

Tropius Rider
I'd love if diving were in the games this time around too, but I'd rather see it (and waterfall-climbing) as special uses of the Surf HM technique rather than as independent HMs that waste space.

Chocolate Death

Raptor9229 said:
FloodBadge said:

You can't tell if there are any dive spots just by looking at that map. If we do have dive it might be a TM this time rather than HM, Dive is practically a water type version of dig. In gen three fly and dive were weak but in gen one dig was super powerful but got downgraded in gen two but but dive got released which has since always had the same stats (power and accuracy) as dig.

The only difference between dive and dig was that in gen three you could literally go underwater and possibly coincidental that most of the pokemon that learn dive by level up are the ones you would expect to go deep under water. I would rather have dive not be an HM but rather a variation of dig and for anyone saying that HMs are worthless should remember that the ones that deal damage are good for the most part and a Slaking using Strength would be over 100 power not to mention its one hundred accuracy. But to get back on track my point is that you can't tell if there are going to be dive spots just by looking at that map alone.

1) didnt you know that you shouldn't expect everything needed before to remain? dive spots may no longer be existant, but you can still dive

2) wow, thanks for not reading the rest of the thread where we went over some of this stuff

Blasto

Aspiring Trainer
If Dive is an HM yet again, I don't want it to be something unimportant and optional. The only games so far that Dive should have been in were RSE, I didn't like it in later games at all. If they want to make it crucial to the gameplay and story then go ahead. Doesn't seem like there's much room for it thought. We'll see, if it winds up being optional I won't use it. Unless there are pokemon down there of course!

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
As much as I love how Gen V changed the usage of HMs to "gah, why do I need to teach these crappy moves to my pokémon just to move around everywhere on the map" to "hey, there's this extra section, let's come back and explore it with [insert HM here] later" (not applicable to Surf), I would really love if Dive came back in the optional way. Give us some pokémon to catch and new places to explore with it, but please don't make it necessary to move around and finish the game.

Blasto

Aspiring Trainer
Artemis said:
As much as I love how Gen V changed the usage of HMs to "gah, why do I need to teach these crappy moves to my pokémon just to move around everywhere on the map" to "hey, there's this extra section, let's come back and explore it with [insert HM here] later" (not applicable to Surf), I would really love if Dive came back in the optional way. Give us some pokémon to catch and new places to explore with it, but please don't make it necessary to move around and finish the game.

You just said the exact opposite of what I said XD but hey that's alright, everyone has their own opinions. Whatever they do I will be fine with!