Porygon-X's 2nd Place Masters Cities Report - GA Marathon

Porygon-X

There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1
Hello! This is my first time ever doing a report, so bear with me. :) I am also doing all of this from memory, so some parts may be incorrect.

~Pre-Tournament Thoughts and Stuff~

This tournament was one of the first in the Marathon held at the Super Games in Roswell.

This is my third Cities of the season so far, and the first two I failed horribly. The first one, I played Magnezone Eel, and went an amazing 2-4. The second I ran ZPST after swearing never to run Magnezone again. I did fantastic with a thundering 3-3 record!

So, the night before this tournament, I decided to run Magnezone Eel again, having not been able to test any other decks. I kicked myself the whole way to the tournament for running the deck that I did so poorly with the first tournament. But, I kept a high spirit, and had fun! :)

We got to the tournament and met up with friends. We had a lot of time to play and talk because there was a problem with the printer (that my dad fixed :D). I compared lists with my friend who was also playing Magnezone Eel, and he suggested I add Cryogonal because there where a few Donphan running around. James W (who I faced in round 4) was kind enough to let me borrow one with two water energy before I turned in my list.

There really isn't anything different about my Magnezone Eel list than everyone else's, except for the Cryogonal. I also didn't run Super Rod, which would have made my life much easier.

Round 1 - Brendon(?) - Vanniluxe

I'm pretty sure that he went first, and opened Reshiram. (I was confused too). I open two Tynamos. He plays Collector and gets two Oddish and a small ice cream cone. I forget what I do at this point, but I end up Catchering both Oddishes before he could set up a Vileplume, and I just over power from there. He couldn't even set up Vanniluxe. Brendon is a really nice guy, and I enjoyed playing with him. Good game!

1-0

After the round, I watched my dad play the end of a Durant Mirror. :p It was pretty intense, I think it came down to one card or something to my dad's loss. :(

Round 2 - Craig A. - ZPST

He opens lone Tornadus to I think my Magnemite. He goes first and whiffs the donk. I get set up from there with a T2 Zone. I Catcher and kill everything he tries to set up. I was feeling pretty good, for I was up in prize cards 1 to 5. However, he top decks a Catcher at the right moment and drags up my Eel. I realize that I have used both Switch, and three Junk Arm. I count my Energy, and realize that I have 2 left in the deck, but I'm not sure where my Junk Arm is. I have to pass, and he gets nothing. I top deck an Energy, and attach it to my active Eel. Feeling good knowing that all I have to do is Magnetic Draw into the last one next turn, I pass. He top decks Junk Arm, and Catchers my OTHER Eel. Now, there is only one Energy left I can use, so I cannot retreat it. At this point, I just draw pass, and he just draw passes until I'm out of deck. Now I realize that my last prize card is my last Junk Arm. I scoop, and I'm off to next round. Good game!

1-1

Round 3 - ??? - ZPST

I'm sorry to say I have forgotten my round 3 opponent's name. He is a really nice guy, and we chit-chatted after the round. Anyway, he opens Zekrom to my double Tynamo. I think I went first this game, but I'm not sure. In fact, the only thing I am sure about this game is that he got a really bad hand, and I set up everything. From there I just Catcher the stuff he does manage to set up, and take the win. Good game, and I'm sorry for the rotten luck. :(

After the round, I realize that he was 0-2, so I played down. Plus, my opponent dropped, so that did not help. Knowing that, I was sure there was no way I was going to make Top Cut.

2-1

Round 4 - James W. - Magnezone Eel?

James is a really nice guy, and he goes to the same League as me. Honestly, I'm not sure what he was running. It was ether Magnezone Eel, or Zekrom Eel. Anyway, he opens Tynamo to my Magnemite. I go first, and Sage. I get nothing at all, attach and pass. He draws, attaches, and tackles. I top deck Sage, play it, and get Rare Candy and Magnezone. From there, I just attach, evolve, and Lost Burn for the game. I hate donking people, because I know what it's like to get donked, but I had to take the win. I'm sorry that it worked out the way it did James. :(

He wanted to get some food or something so we did not play again, which allowed me to watch my friends play from a distance which was cool.

3-1

Round 5 - Justin F. - Zekrom Eel

I suddenly feel really great when I realize that Justin is 4-0. That means that I'm the highest of the 3-1s! (I think). We sit down, and chat for a bit while we wait for the round to start. He opens Zekrom and one or two Tynamos I think, and I open Zekrom with a Magnemite, but I'm not sure. I cannot remember much about this match, but I get pretty well set up, and he runs out of Zekroms. All he has in play is three Eels and a Tynamo. :p At one point, he knockes out one of my Magnezones with one of his Eels! I think he drew into a Zekrom later in the game, but it was already too late. From there, I just Catchered around for cheap prizes and the game. Justin is a really great guy, and for some reason we always play. I enjoyed playing with you, good game!

4-1

Round 6 - Alex - TyRam

Going into this round, I realize that I am facing the only 5-0 player, which means I am playing up again. He opens Reshi to my Zekrom I think, and I go first. Not sure how this played out, but we each got really bad hands and are forced to "Eeeeek" for the first several turns. About T4 or 5 we are both fully set up. He sets up 3 Typhlosions and a Ninetails, while I have two Eels, two Magnezones, and a Zekrom ready to roll. From here, it was mainly just prize trading. At one point I pulled way ahead because the after burner damage on his Typhlosions allowed me to Catcher and Bolt Strike for KOs. At the end, he ends up decking out when he was down on prizes 3 to 1. Good game Alex! For some reason, just like Justin last round, we play at just about every tournament we go to. :p

5-1

The standings are posted, and I'm 3rd in Swiss! :D So I organized my deck and turned it in.

I THINK top 8 looked like this:

1 Durant
2 ZPSTs
1 Zekrom Eel Druggegon
1 Reshiboar
2 Magnezone Eel
1 Reshiphosion (?)

I am unsure of their standings, but Durant was first in Swiss.

I was feeling pretty good about myself after all the failing I have been doing at BRs and Cities, but I was really nervous. I checked the standing and found out my first opponent is my friend Marc M. Senior.

After getting all shuffled and set up, the Organizer bought pizza for the top 8, so we got to eat before we played. :)

Top 8 - Game 1 - Marc M. Senior - Reshiboar

So after shuffling until my hands cramped, I draw into a garbage hand with a Tynamo active. He opens Smeargle I think, and goes first. He portraits my Collector, and starts to slowly get set up. I Collector and forget to count my Pokemon in the deck to get some Magnemites and a Tynamo. My next turn, I top deck sage, and get a T2 Magneton and I think a Zekrom, while discarding one of my Eels. That was a good play in the moment, but in the long run, that lost me the game. Soon after I Saged, I realized that not only were my other two Eels prized, but so were two of my Magnezones. Good game Marc! :)

Top 8 - Game 2 - Marc M. Senior - Reshiboar

I choose to go first (I know, shocker right?) and open something to his Tepig. I am not too sure how this played out, but I get set up really well, and he gets a really slow start. Even though Embors are big, they are still in 3 energy range of my Zones. I just Catcher and kill stuff until he is unable to do anything and he scoops.

Top 8 - Game 3 - Marc M. Senior - Reshiboar

This game is really fuzzy, but he goes first and I think opens Tepig again. I may have started double Tynamo. Anyway, this game played out the same as the second game. He gets a few boars up, and I get a few Zones up. We trade prizes, but he runs out of steam early, and I Catcher for the last prize. Good game! Marc was at my party last weekend, so he blamed his loss on him going. :p I really enjoy your company, and congratulations on your first (?) top cut! :)

So I won my first round of top, and I'm really excited! Unfortunately, the last game went to time, and we were the last people playing, so I didn't get a break to rest my brain... (Or go to the Restroom) :(

Top 4 - Game 1 - Craig A. - ZPST

I'm playing my round 2 opponent again, and he seems not too happy to be playing me. We sit down, shuffle, and I open Zekrom to his Shaymin I think... Anyway, he goes first, and can't really get anything set up. I get a ton of stuff set up, and sweep. I get down to one prize, and just like in Swiss, he Catchers up my Eel, and I'm out of Junk Arm, Switch, and energy. So, for time, I scoop and shuffle up for game 2.

Top 4 - Game 2 - Craig A. - ZPST

This game went exactly the same as game 1, except I was very conservative with my Junk Arms, as I used them almost exclusively for switch. When he tried decking me out again when I was at 1 prize, I just switched back. Catcher was a huge help here, and he couldn't set up any more Zekroms.

Top 4 - Game 3 - Craig A. - ZPST

This game goes well for both of us, as we get really good starts. To be honest, I have no idea who opens what, but I consistently pump out Zones and Zekroms. He wasn't the happiest guy (in fact, he was kinda a bad sport) when I would Catcher and kill anything with Energy while setting up countless Magnezones. He tries yet again to deck me out, but this time, he was at less deck than me, so his plan did not work. He scoops, and I'm off to top 2!

We were the last two playing again, so I didn't have much of a break, but at least I got to use the restroom. :D

Top2 - Game 1 - Logan W. - Zekrom Eel Druddigon Rocky Helmet

I have won several tournaments in the past, but never a Cites, and nether has Logan - so whoever won this game, would be a first time city champ! We shuffle up and set up while we wait for the Judge to start the clock. Throughout the match we just talked about random stuff, and had a great time. Tymon, the Head Judge, said to stop being friends and start slaughtering each other (he was being silly) :p Anyway, I go first and he gets a really bad start. I set up, and he really doesn't have anything. At one point he has to Juniper 3 other Junipers away. It was too late for him, and I just Catchered everything he was setting up for game.

Top2 - Game 2 - Logan W. - Zekrom Eel Druddigon Rocky Helmet

He chooses to go first, and opens Zekrom I think to my Tynamo. He gets a really great setup, and I fall way behind while struggling to get even one Zone in play. He stacks Eels like no tomorrow, and has a response to every KO I take. Rocky Helmet really won him the game here because it puts my Zones in range of a Bolt Strike Revenge. I get nothing, and even though we have plenty of time, I scoop. I feel a little better knowing that I have the safety net of winning my first game, and getting to go first game 3.

Top2 - Game 3 - Logan W. - Zekrom Eel Druddigon Rocky Helmet

I go first with my Tynamo active again, and I'm not sure what he opens with. I get an OK start, and so does he. We keep Catchering each other's Eels and stuff in an endless prize trade, but eventually he pulls ahead due to Rocky Helmet. There wasn't much I could do to avoid hitting Rocky Helmet, because he runs four, and puts some on Eels. I try one last ditch effort with Magnezone, but he Catchers for his last prize and game.

Very excellent game Logan, and congratulations - you deserve it! I enjoyed talking and playing with you.

So I came in 2nd, and I was very pleased. I got 10 packs (I think) and got a FA Coballion, and a bunch of nothing else. Logan got 3 N, like 2 Eviolite, a FA Fliptini, a Coballion, and a Kyruem. lol I think he got the better half.

So I did learn stuff about my deck: Super Rod is pro. I did not run it that day, but boy it would have made my life easier. So is Shaymin. Don't let people convince you otherwise, Shaymin is pro.

Props and Slops

Props:

2nd! :D
Logan winning! :)
Free Pizza.
Got to play a lot of nice people.
Pulled FA Coballion.
The very well run Tournament.
My dad fixing the computer so the tournament could start. :)

Slops:

Watching Logan pull all the Ns in the whole box and getting Kyurem. lol :p
Going to game 3 every game in Top Cut. I was really tired when I got home. :p

I would like to thank my dad for his support, and I'd like to thank Greg and Tymon for the very well run event.

Thank you all for reading this, and good luck at States! :D

There really isn't anything different about my Magnezone Eel list than everyone else's, except for the Cryogonal.
Interestingly enough, I went 3-3 lately at a Cities, and all 3 of my losses that day were to Eelzone decks. Of those 3, 2 of them had Cryogonal in them. I only know the 3rd didn't because I'd seen my opponent's list before.
Putting Cryogonal in Eelzone isn't reducing consistency; it's playing smart. And, on that note, so is putting Reshiram in VVV. (CA Masters are not to be trifled with.)

A very...interesting day you had nonetheless. Some of your wins were due to luck, others due to skill. However, you did make it all the way up to Top-2 which is a feat in and of itself, so it was no fluke. Congratulations.

DNA said:
Interestingly enough, I went 3-3 lately at a Cities, and all 3 of my losses that day were to Eelzone decks. Of those 3, 2 of them had Cryogonal in them. I only know the 3rd didn't because I'd seen my opponent's list before.
Putting Cryogonal in Eelzone isn't reducing consistency; it's playing smart. And, on that note, so is putting Reshiram in VVV. (CA Masters are not to be trifled with.)

A very...interesting day you had nonetheless. Some of your wins were due to luck, others due to skill. However, you did make it all the way up to Top-2 which is a feat in and of itself, so it was no fluke. Congratulations.

Interesting about the Reshi in VVV. I've never heard of it.

Thank you very much for your comment. :)

It's in mine, plus I see it frequently in decks around here too. It's a Cobalion counter. It's common sense, really.

I did fantastic with a thundering 3-3 record!
Out of curiosity, was this sarcastic or serious?

Regardless, congrats on second. I wish I could have gone to a marathon. Darn things kicked me out of top 25 in NA. :(

lol It was sarcastic. :p Thanks.

DNA, I would think that Victini (V-Create) would be a better Lion counter... Do you mind elaborating?

Okay good lol. I was going to say, for a Regional Champion, you have pretty low standards. :p

DNA, I would think that Victini (V-Create) would be a better Lion counter... Do you mind elaborating?
I prefer to use something that can actually take a hit or two before dying, thank you :p

Back