Pokemon Worlds 2023 in Yokohama, Japan!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon just announced that Worlds 2023 will be held in Yokohama, Japan! As usual, the announcement was made during the closing ceremony of Worlds. Yokohama is the real life inspiration for Vermilion City in Red & Blue.
This will be the first Worlds held in Japan. It will also be the third one held outside the United States. It seems Worlds may continue to see international venues in the future. Holding Worlds in Japan was once thought to be a pipedream to fans.
TPCi should announce the specific venue and dates around January. It should take place in August, like every year.
This will be the 18th Worlds tournament. Previous Worlds were held in:

2004: Orlando, Florida
2005: San Diego, California
2006: Anaheim, California
2007: Kona, Hawaii
2008: Orlando, Florida
2009: San Diego, California
2010: Kona, Hawaii...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
How do they choose the city? Is there an application process or something?

On one hand its probably right its in Japan for first time but personally i wish it was back in US/Canada because by god is Japan is one of the most expensive places to get go.

Seen a lot of people on social media thinking it would be Spain, which makes sense. I wonder how this will work out with Japan having strict Covid restrictions. Still a ways away, but still...

Glad it's not in the US again, but why the hell is it not in Spain where Scarlet and Violet are based? Huge missed opportunity there.
Maybe 2024 seeing as S&V VGC will be around for the next ~3/4 years.

There are plenty of opportunity's to have it in Spain/Portugal during the lifespan of S&V. Im so grateful we had it in London this week, i had a great time going, after waiting 3 years for it to happen im really sad its been and gone lol. As much as i love the US as its not too expensive to get to from the UK, i hope this is the start of a trend whereby the World Champs do infact go round the world, not really fair just to have it in US/Canada each year.

There are plenty of opportunity's to have it in Spain/Portugal during the lifespan of S&V. Im so grateful we had it in London this week, i had a great time going, after waiting 3 years for it to happen im really sad its been and gone lol. As much as i love the US as its not too expensive to get to from the UK, i hope this is the start of a trend whereby the World Champs do infact go round the world, not really fair just to have it in US/Canada each year.
I was looking forward to it for 3 years too, then I caught COVID on Tuesday and couldn't go. Absolutely gutted! :(

Japan might be a delayed celebration/homecoming for Pokemon 25th Anniversary, but got pushed back as they have commited to London since in 2019, which got pushed from 2020 to 2021 (25th anniversary), then 2022.

I was looking forward to it for 3 years too, then I caught COVID on Tuesday and couldn't go. Absolutely gutted! :(
Ahh gutted for you, what a damn shame. I went on Thursday, thought it was an amazing experience, even my wife who doesn't really care for Pokemon enjoyed it. I managed to get everything i wanted from the Pokemon Centre apart from the playmat that sold out even by then. Felt very sorry for people at weekend as from what i understand pretty much everything London themed was long gone.

On one hand, it feels like it's about time that this finally happens. But on the other hand, Japan has been so strict with allowing foreigners to visit due to their COVID restrictions, to the detriment of their own economy, I wonder if things will ease up by then... It would really be a shame if some competitors weren't able to travel in order to compete. But hopefully this will all work out well.
What a horrible twist of fate. I'm sorry to hear that!

It’s not in Spain because of gambling laws
Kinda weird since they host EPT in Barcelona and Poker is a huge gambling game lol. But it could make sense kids are involved but Japan also has gambling laws too.

Pachinko being the "grey area" gambling.

Back