'Pokemon V' Mechanic Announced: Zacian V, Zamazenta V from 'Sword & Shield!'

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Hopefully this means we're getting "Professors Research" as a reprintable card. It's pointless to collect ANOTHER playset of the same card.

Yen

Aspiring Trainer
I think the "Prof Magnolia" is just some flavour text to denote just what generation Professor the "Professor's Reserach" card is portraying. I think they want to avoid the Sycamore/Juniper fracas at the B&W/XY transition, so hopefully, future "Discard hand, Draw 7" supporters will just be named Professor Research.

Marnie might be pretty strong, though it is less powerful will the new Supporter Rules

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
They haven't shown any evolved Pokemon as V. We don't know if they've ditched evolutions EX-style and that will make or break those Pokemon.

Btw Dynamaxing is a lazy and rehashed mechanic, so V-Pokémon have to stay faithful.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Marnie might be pretty strong, though it is less powerful will the new Supporter Rules

What do you mean, there is a change?

I think she is a N on steroids and N was in the standard format for 8 or so years? And all these years he was a staple!
So welcome Marnie, everyone will support you too! :p

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Professor's Research - 5 Geodudes. Maybe 4.9999 Geodudes because you can't T1 it if you go first. But hey, Sycamore is back bois.
  • Marnie - I luv Marnie. Decent draw, Decent Distruption. 5 Geodudes

Yen

Aspiring Trainer
What do you mean, there is a change?

I think she is a N on steroids and N was in the standard format for 8 or so years? And all these years he was a staple!
So welcome Marnie, everyone will support you too! :p

Player who goes first now can't use a Supporter on their first turn, so no Marnie to disrupt their hand. Marnie is not N on steroids because N is just a card too powerful and versatile and will overshadow any supporter that deals with having to shuffle both players hands into their deck,

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Urgh!

I really want to return to the game but then... THIS!
The PTCG has one of the maybe worst powercreeps in card games.

Why do you need to boost the HP even further? Why is V a basic Pokémon mechanic?
There is just no more real reason to go for any Stage 2 anymore, since they can't keep up anymore.

It would be a risk to lower the HP and go a step back from the current powerlevel?
This might help the game a bit from the current state of nearly every Pokémon having a devasting 1-hit K.O. attack that grants 3 prizes.

As stated, I don't play currently but when I look at the cards I just can't help but feel that the strongest move in the game is to win the coin flip and be the starting player to set up and then knock out the first Pokémon.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Finally they amalgamate the Professor cards into one card with several alternate versions / arts!!

Also re: the Pokemon V: holy power creep. Remember that the first cards of any new major block (like Megas, TTGX, EX, ex, GX...) are always the worst. If these are the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of Pokemon V, then we have some crazy powerful cards coming down the pipeline.

Nyora

A Cat
Marnie is better worse N- awful if your opponent has a bad hand, amazing if they have a good hand, awful if you have a good hand, amazing if you have a bad hand.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Marnie isn't N, she's a better Judge. Judge can sometimes see play, so I'd expect Marnie to do too.

TatsuyaOrimuta

Aspiring Trainer
Urgh!
Why is V a basic Pokémon mechanic?
we don't know that yet? sure the hp of the ones we know about might indicate this, so far every v we've seen is just a basic by default anyway? (yes i know every EX pre legendary treasures did this as well but it doesn't mean it'll be the same thing) if i'm wrong, then i'm wrong oh well.

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Anyone else notice anything odd about the Pokémon-V?

Celebi-V, Victini-V, and Keldeo-V are both #/23. Yet Regirock-V and Tapu Koko-V are both #/24...

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Urgh!

I really want to return to the game but then... THIS!
The PTCG has one of the maybe worst powercreeps in card games.

Why do you need to boost the HP even further? Why is V a basic Pokémon mechanic?
There is just no more real reason to go for any Stage 2 anymore, since they can't keep up anymore.

It would be a risk to lower the HP and go a step back from the current powerlevel?
This might help the game a bit from the current state of nearly every Pokémon having a devasting 1-hit K.O. attack that grants 3 prizes.

As stated, I don't play currently but when I look at the cards I just can't help but feel that the strongest move in the game is to win the coin flip and be the starting player to set up and then knock out the first Pokémon.

I think they are clearly viewing from the perspective of the Pokemon League. Bigger stronger attacks that give more prizes means faster games. As for HP, when those Pokemon are contained within their own sets the HP really doesn't matter. Power creep is important in video games because it effects the whole cast, but if you are playing standard play in the Pokemon TCG the monstrous HP is only going to be matched up against other things with big HP numbers. It's not really fair to saying winning is just a matter of getting the flip, it's definitely not that cut and dry. Not to mention they made a huge new rule change.

I do wish they would do more to bring evolution back into the limelight though. I thought that GXes where an opportunity to do so.

My biggest frustration with these reveals honestly is that we just got 5 new V cards, which there usually aren't a ton of per set, and they're all old Pokemon with no abilities or special mechanics (that we know of).

Oddish22

Aspiring Trainer
Even the card design looks like EX - just bigger pictures., probably V max will be like M EX.
It's a bit disappointing, as I liked GX more than EX. And the illustrations are really boring. If they could do it more like the GX alternative artworks, the ultra rares would be something worth to collect, but now they probably all look worse than regular holos again.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
Ok but Pokebeach hasn’t reported that Japan is changing the rule to player who goes first cant play supporters (starting with this release).

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Oh yay are we going to see a V.S. seeker reprint too.
Also, the lack of work being put into the art on the V cards is becoming sad because pokemon knows that they will be producing 2 more arts/rarities for them.

Wechselbalg

brb
Lazy, low-effort game design as expected based on the last few years of this TCG. These are literally EX pokemon, just with slightly increased HP and damage values. Looks like it was a good idea to quit this game.

Idk why so many people keep complaining about the state of the pokemon video games when the TCG is a way more obvious cash grab at this point.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder if the TCG will be a way to include all the Pokémon that are not in the Galar Dex. They've done it with the Sun and Moon cards....

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Idk why so many people keep complaining about the state of the pokemon video games when the TCG is a way more obvious cash grab at this point.
The TCG still has its perks in terms of collectibles, and I'm sure that there's more to these than just this. They're too underwhelming to be just the entire mechanic. And as I said with collecting-A lot of cards still have good art and stuff, and until the Hidden Fates debacle, they've really been improving on meeting demand lately. Of course, it isn't flawless, Rainbow Rares and Gold Items are cash-grabby and the worst collectibles this game's ever come up with, but I just don't deal with them. But I think still that the TCG has got much more than putting out a rushed product where it's missing half of the content and looks like an up-res'd 3DS game.