Help Pokemon TCG Rotation, Tournaments, and Other Questions for New Player

lt_tatter

donde esta la biblioteca?
So when do the rotations occur? I know the last 4 expansions get rotated out, but when does that happen?

I also would like to know how tournaments work, winning, and attending official Pokemon Events.

I used to do the Regionals for the video games from 2009-2013 , but back then all you had to do was attend the events, win within 1st-4th to get guranteed spots in nationals with 1st-3rd getting prizes like paid flights, hotels, and extra spending money. I was one win away from making top 15 in AZ the first time, but the guy who beat me Alan on the 3rd round ended up winning nationals too! Knowing I almost got up to the top 15 in the state got me hooked on tournaments.

But one year in 2012 the regionals skipped AZ and in 2013 it turned over to the play pokemon thing where we got ID cards and became point based. It really changed because VGC regionals used to be this huge thing held at the Phoenix Convention Center in Downtown Phoenix with events, games, awsome fixtures and now the tournament was held at a high school cafeteria. It sucked because I ended up winning that VGC tournament 1st place and all i got was a gift card. I signed up with the play pokemon ID card and saw I had won the tournament and got points. I didn't understand it anymore and gave up on regional tournaments and just played. Every time I went online to see events I would always miss them so I kinda gave up on following VGC events.

Now that I am playing the card games too and tring to get back into VGC, I would like some clarification on how everything works now.

Thanks for reading and answering any questions!

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hello! I'll try and keep this relatively short: some stuff I can easily answer, some I can't.

So when do the rotations occur? I know the last 4 expansions get rotated out, but when does that happen?

First, set rotation does not always eliminate four sets. Historically the number ranges from zero to (I believe) seven. Since I'm keeping this short I'm not going digging and just answering from memory. The Standard Format (also known as the "Modified Format" for many years) has skipped rotating sets only once, and I seem to recall that is what lead to the massive seven sets cut the next year. Three to five sets is a typical number to see leave Standard play. Right now, Standard allows XY: Primal Clash and later releases.

Expanded is a relatively new format, around only for two rotations. Each time, it lost no sets. This may be because TPCi is hoping to keep the oldest cards around as long as possible, or it could be because they want to make large cuts (like entire series), or some other reasoning I can't even guess at. Still, that means it has been BW-On and remains BW-On until at least the next rotation.

As for the day when rotation occurs, it typically happens sometime after the Pokémon World Championship. That tournament takes place in August (usually). Sometimes rotation has happened early. I recall at least one time when it happened shortly before the World Championships. I seem to recall that for the last few years, the date of rotation has been September 1st.

I also would like to know how tournaments work, winning, and attending official Pokemon Events.

Can't help you there; I haven't bothered with the tournament scene in 10 years.

Good luck!

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside

If I remember correctly, they're still using the Pokemon ID system, so you would still use that number to register for Tournaments/Events/etc. Entry fees are usually different for each event, so you would have to figure that one out on your own, unfortunately.

As far as prizes go... I believe those also depend on the event and how many people decide to show up. That said, the prize turnout is typically pretty solid, so it's usually worthwhile to go and give it a shot. I know that as a general, TCG prize pools are bigger than VGC prize pools, so keep that in mind as well.

I hope this helps. Otaku (I believe) answered everything else pretty handily. Have fun and if you have any more specific questions, let us know and we'll do what we can to help you out.

-Asmer