Pokemon Stadium 2: Beating the Elite Four with rentals

Pokeman

The great snake rules forever!
Only using the rental pokemon, what is a team I could use to beat this? Because I have been struggling for a while now.

Hoo, boy. Rentals. The biggest slap in the fact to those of us that lost the Transfer Pak.
I guess the most important question is, are you in Round 1 or Round 2?

Well, that gives you a bit more room.
The rental Pokemon team that I usually use is:
  • Fearow: Has Drill Peck and Hyper Beam, which are both backed up by STAB and a decent Attack stat. Also Toxic, which isn't as useful, but it's there nonetheless. The first four out of the five each have at least one Pokemon weak to Flying.
  • Raichu: Fast, and has Thunderwave. Paralysis is a HUGE help. The only other good move on its set is Thunder though, which misses more often than I'd like... Lance's big weakness is Electricity, though, so it's pretty necessary. You could also use Magneton, which does the same thing, whilst trading speed for power and bulk.
  • Primeape: Very fast, and has Cross Chop, which can be nice against some of Bruno and Karen's Pokemon (and REALLY helpful against Lance, should he decide to send out Tyranitar). Not very useful in the first two battles, however.
  • Alakazam: Also fast. The running theme here is fast = good. Three out of the five members have at least one thing weak to Psychic type attacks. Psybeam is a bit on the weak side so you could use Kadabra instead, but it's a lot weaker defensively.
  • Moltres: For Fire Blast. That's about it. Lance's Steelix is a huge pain in the butt without it, though.
  • Slowbro: Not fast at all. I guess I contradict myself here! But, it has Surf, which is nice against some of Lance's Pokemon, and its defenses are good enough to actually get a chance to use it.
This team has gotten me through the Gym Leader Tower a few times, but I must stress that rental Pokemon suck and you will have to pray for luck to be on your side. Good luck!

Alright sounds good. Instead of Slowbro, wouldn't Quagsire be a better option?

Quagsire does also have Surf, but its stats are lower all across the board (except Speed, but only by a measly 5 base points - both are still slower than almost everything they're put against). Might be good if you're really worried about Koga's Electrode, but overall, Slowbro is the better option.

You're welcome; hope the game doesn't cheat you too badly like it does so often to me d:

Congrats! :D You mean the second half with the Kanto Leaders? Those are honestly much easier since you can build a team around each one.
God help you once you reach Round 2 mode though; I don't really have a rental strategy for that. Had to buy a used Transfer Pak, dust off my Crystal version, and train a proper team. Stadium 2 doesn't pull any punches.

You would probably be ok with much of the same team, but they really made it hard on people that didn't have one of the handheld games. Probably a money-grabbing scheme; who knows? d:
It's not impossible but it's frustratingly unfair and you need a lot of luck on your side :/

Ahhh probably, they need to make a pokemon stadium 3. But I will give it a shot and see how I do.

Help with Pokemon Stadium 2 Elite Four and Lance Round 2 with RENTALS

Yup, I'm one of those guys who still play Poke Stadium 2, and I've recently made it my personal goal to beat the game using only rentals.

I've managed to beat R1 Elite Four/Lance with sheer luck, but their Round 2 version is simply driving me nuts.

What's even more frustrating is that I've actually managed to go all the way up to Lance at least twice, one even to the point where I had 2 out of 3 of his Pokemon dead, but then the remaining one took out all three of mine. UGH

Since then, I've been trying to beat the Elite Four R2, but I just can't seem to do it.

Does anyone who has actually beaten the R2 Elite Four/Lance with only rentals possibly give me some recommendation?

Which six pokemon did you choose?
Which three did you select, in order (because who starts off in each battle can be crucial), of each battle with Will, Koga, Bruno, Karen, and finally, Lance?
Which, if any, berries did you use?

Most importantly...if you can, could you give me a step-by-step detail on how to take down each one of them? For example, if Will started off with this one Pokemon, would you switch? Do a move? etc.

I have no intention of getting a gamepak and the gb game and all that stuff. I specifically wish to beat R2 Elite Four and the Champion Lance with RENTALS ONLY.

Sorry, if I sound demanding, but I'm really determined to beat it with rentals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey, the rentals may be bad, but at least you get more than 12 Rentals in this game, unlike PBR.

Actually, most people think that PBR was just to sate the hunger for another Stadium. It had pretty bad movepools as well. A Monferno with Meadow Plate and Grass Knot. WHY?! Anyway, I DO remember beating R2 with Rentals. But that was a long time ago. I am stuck on R1. I plan on using the above mentioned Pokemon at the start of this thread. When I start R2, I will let you know what the Team I use, the berries, and order since it does change the way they send out their Pokemon, Nooh.

I do agree with the fact that having the Transfer Pak and a Silver, Gold, Crystal, Yellow, Red, or Blue in order to stand a chance in R2 was maybe a money-grabbing tactic. But for those that have a Transfer Pak the team you should consider using should consist of having a Starmie and Electrode. The best thing to do in this game is to have Speed.

Hey Nooh, I found a guide on how to beat the whole Pokemon Stadium 2 game using only Rental Pokémon. I just thought this could come in handy for you in beating Round 2: https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/452036-pokemon-stadium-2/faqs/28400

Do have some scepticism about this guide, since I used it to try and beat the Elite Four in Round 1 and I couldn't beat Lance two times (although he only had 1 Pokemon left in both tries, and even though I was able to easily pass through Bruno, who had been blocking me since). Next time, as advised in this thread by Frezgle, I'm going to use a fast Electric type Pokémon and ponder about switching Quagsire for a Slowbro to see if I have better results.

I share the opinion that the AI in this game is extremely difficult so as to prevent you from using rentals and force you to buy that Transfer Pack (a.k.a. frustrating money-grabbing). I noticed that Lance's Dragonite missed Hyper Beam 3 times in a row (and still a 4th time after) because he knew my Wobbuffet would be using Counter for major damage on the next turn.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Back