Pokemon Specials - Should There Be More and What Kind?

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
There have been less and less Pokemon Specials being shown. Do you believe that there should be more specials? If so, what type of specials would you like to see?

Should they be focused on more than the actual Pokemon anime?

RE: Pokemon Specials, should there be more and what kind?

Ice Arceus said:
There have been less and less Pokemon Specials being shown. Do you believe that there should be more specials? If so, what type of specials would you like to see?

Should they be focused on more than the actual Pokemon anime?

Yes, the specials are way better than Ash doing the same thing over and over. They should make Pokemon Adventures into a spin-off anime.

I really like the specials, they tend to go for a different mood than the anime does. I kind liked Pokémon chronicles as well, so I'd definitely like to see a spin off series like that.

The Pokémon TV app just launched yesterday, and they're planning to premiere Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade through the app this Friday. I honestly think that special is being used as testing grounds for the app. If the app is successful, I hope they'll start make more specials specifically for the app.

Oh, and the BW2 animated trailer. If they made special episodes in that style for the app, I would get down on my hands and knees and cry for more.

Noteworthy said:
The Pokémon TV app just launched yesterday, and they're planning to premiere Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade through the app this Friday. I honestly think that special is being used as testing grounds for the app. If the app is successful, I hope they'll start make more specials specifically for the app.

But that's hardly fair! What about people who don't live in America and don't have a smart phone?

I don't own a smart phone either, I downloaded the app on an Android tablet. Pokémon TV is the video player on Pokémon.com The app is just a means of making it available in a mobile format. Anything that's available on the app can probably be expected to appear on Pokémon.com as well.

I would definitely like more specials and spin-offs from the original anime. I would love to follow the journeys of the other characters in the games on TV. I loved stories like the Legend of Thunder and the other chronicles where we saw what the other characters were doing. I wish to see more of different characters, rather than just watching Ash, especially since he has stopped progressing, and everything he does and learns resets in every region. I still like the current anime, but not as much as I used to. I hope they will make it great again.

I completely agree with Drohn. We need more spin offs like Chronnicles. I couldn't get enough of those and although I love the anime with Ash, it's certainly nice to get a wiff of fresh material with alternate characters and purposes.

The kind of special that I never want to see released ever again are ones like Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade. That was an absolute train wreck and to me it just kind of seemed like a waste of production. Can anyone say they truly enjoyed that? lol

In the three years and ten months since the last post in this thread, we have received two incredible special series.

First, Pokémon Origins, which first aired a scant few months after the last post, in October of 2013. Now that was a glorious mini-series. It was essentially Red and Blue, condensed into four OVAs, with solid voice acting (I'm quite fond of both the dub AND the sub), a fun story, and some very intense action. One of the most noteworthy things about it was just how dark it was, compared to the regular anime. Many people compared it to PokéSpe, aka Pokémon Adventures, which is the most well known of the manga adaptations. And, to top if off, this was how Mega Charizard X was officially revealed, which is ridiculous in the best way possible.

Moving on, to September 2016, about seven months ago. This is when Pokémon Generations came out, which, as an avid TCG player, briefly confused me, due to the TCG subset of the same name. Generations was an absolute treat. It's what's known as an ONA, or Original Net Animation, series, which gave the powers that be more flexibility. Short episodes, ranging from around three to five minutes, that encompassed interesting parts of the story of the games that lacked attention in the game. The focus was on side characters, and honestly, it was incredible.

So, to answer the question posed in the title, I absolutely think that there should be more specials. As for what kind? I want a Pokémon Origins for each generation. I'd also love if Generations would continue with Sun and Moon shorts, as the games have been out for awhile now.

Back