'Pokemon Players Cup' Online Tournament Announced by TPCi!

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
Juniors totally jilted as well. I have two kids who play (one senior and one junior). Thanks TPCI for not including them. I guarantee after the long break numbers of juniors and seniors still playing competitively is going to sink due to so much inactivity. You would think they would want to include them as that represents future long term players to build player base.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
The reason they may be excluding juniors and seniors is because of the fact that A: there may be some complications with age or, B: anyone can make and account and say that they are a certain age therefore making it an unfair age advantage that no one can really prove until after the tournament is over when they are handing out prizes.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
I bet you can still probably enter as a junior. In the past, I've seen people that would normally be in juniors or seniors enter into the masters division with no problems.

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
Since this is an unprecedented time, maybe they're just allowing Masters as to not overload the system. It's NOT discrimination.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Let us see.
  • Masters only
  • Ran on barely prepared TCGO client
  • Qualifiers through grinding BO1 tournaments
  • "said [...] vice president of marketing"
Yeah, they're giving us their best.

Nyora

A Cat
I hope they waive entrance fee tickets for online tournaments or this is such a terrible, horrible idea lol.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon TCG competitors will qualify through their ranking on the June Leaderboard (Standard format, Tournament Rep) in the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online.
Ewwwwwwwwww, the TCGO is plain AWFUL for these kinds of tournaments. There's a reason why they haven't expanded past hosting 8-person single elimination tournaments and it sure as heck isn't due to lack of player demand.

And with how wonky the TCGO's connections can be sometimes, the TCG section of this tournament is bound to go belly up if an outside force decides to be a cheeky code monkey.
Let us see.
  • Masters only
  • Ran on barely prepared TCGO client
  • Qualifiers through grinding BO1 tournaments
  • "said [...] vice president of marketing"
Yeah, they're giving us their best.
It sounds to me like they're just going to "retool" the TCGO's current tournament structure to work with this mess of a TCG tournament, those are already set to single-elimination.

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
The reason they may be excluding juniors and seniors is because of the fact that A: there may be some complications with age or, B: anyone can make and account and say that they are a certain age therefore making it an unfair age advantage that no one can really prove until after the tournament is over when they are handing out prizes.
Out of curiosity, how is it any different for masters? The age thing may not be a problem, but cheating is bound to be rampant in this kind of format. You could have several players playing as one and all helping keep track of things while one player is actually playing.

They should be considering younger age groups just to keep them involved in the game. It's definitely disappointing to see their response.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
also a problem with online tournaments is its easy to break the rule of no getting help from others

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Out of curiosity, how is it any different for masters? The age thing may not be a problem, but cheating is bound to be rampant in this kind of format. You could have several players playing as one and all helping keep track of things while one player is actually playing.

They should be considering younger age groups just to keep them involved in the game. It's definitely disappointing to see their response.
Yeh so anyone can make a new account and say they are a certain age and then enter. With no way to check the age of the person behind the computer it will be unfair because you could have a 35 year old with critical thinking skills masquerading as a JR. then they could end up playing a 10 year old with little critical thinking skills and minor experience. It's just easier to make it masters exclusive because then they can ensure that no cheating for age at least can be done(take this with a grain of salt because no one really knows why TPCI choose to make this move).

E1ijah

Aspiring Trainer
Juniors totally jilted as well. I have two kids who play (one senior and one junior). Thanks TPCI for not including them. I guarantee after the long break numbers of juniors and seniors still playing competitively is going to sink due to so much inactivity. You would think they would want to include them as that represents future long term players to build player base.
That's not entirely true, this isn't the full post. Juniors and Seniors will be combined into one division and will be the same as masters points/travel wise as far as i am aware. I wouldn't worry too much, im sure pokemon has a plan. They are a big business and can work things out along the way.
Is there a way to contact the pokemon company and tell them how we feel about this?
not sure, but you can look at their website or google their number/email and ask the,

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenatta_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
That's not entirely true, this isn't the full post. Juniors and Seniors will be combined into one division and will be the same as masters points/travel wise as far as i am aware. I wouldn't worry too much, im sure pokemon has a plan. They are a big business and can work things out along the way.
I just looked at the entire post on Pokémon.com and there was nothing about Juniors and Seniors. Not sure where you are getting your information.

Only Masters Division players who have opted in to participating in all available Play! Pokémon programs are eligible to participate in the Play! Pokémon Players Cup Online Tournament.
Yeh so anyone can make a new account and say they are a certain age and then enter. With no way to check the age of the person behind the computer it will be unfair because you could have a 35 year old with critical thinking skills masquerading as a JR. then they could end up playing a 10 year old with little critical thinking skills and minor experience. It's just easier to make it masters exclusive because then they can ensure that no cheating for age at least can be done(take this with a grain of salt because no one really knows why TPCI choose to make this move).
I get that part, although I think that is unlikely. My post was more on the cheating side than on the age, although I do think they have neglected the younger players for sure. I understand there are complications with the age for sure (being that they are all minors), but let's not forget that there are a number of Masters that are minors as it begins at 15 and up. I don't see how the issue for age is any different.

Where I was expressing concern was on the enormous amount of ways that players could cheat. I would imagine it is fully possible to have a number of players around 1 screen helping 1 player win against another by providing advice. This is just one of the ways I could see this happening. Furthermore, what happens when there are technical difficulties like an internet outage? They can't exactly reset the game and replay it. To me this just seems like a bad idea altogether. Points shouldn't be available in this kind of format. Watch during the event and after to see the forums light up with posts about cheating.

John The Pokevol

Aspiring Trainer
I would put my son who is a Junior up against a bunch of Masters and I think he can hang. He played in a league challenge one time where he was the only Junior and no Seniors only masters and he went undefeated.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
...And don't mess w/ Jack!

^ Jack Millar won the TCG players' cup!

After a long tournament, LucMelZac is victorious.

Congrats to Jack Millar!

Last edited: