sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
Oof I hadn't played since noble victories till recently so I had no idea they added entry fees, that's gonna mess with my Toronto and Vancouver plans, 65 USD seems insane though, are judges getting paid or something now or has booking venues just risen that much?

Twyxle

Aspiring Trainer
A money game? *Magic: The Gathering* has entered the chat.
Mtg Standard you can build a viable deck for 150ish, yugioh is about to join the group chat with their 3 of 30 dollar staple and more, most decks reaching a grand while not having a rotation at all, oh and if you buy the expensive deck it will either get powercrept or banned within 6 months

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
This is honestly sad in my opinion. I have loved the TCG and have played for many years. However this mixed with the apparent loss of expanded tournaments just screams even more that all they are out for is money. I do however understand that organizers need to be able to cover the cost of the venue and such but I feel that if as a company you want to be expanding more, then you should offer incentives such as providing a stipend to organizers to help them hold the tournaments and such. But, they may already have some form of funding that we haven't heard of yet due to the non disclosure agreement.
I did run a midseason showdown in the past and I can disclose I did not get any stipend from TPCi for running it. I was responsible for finding a venue, determining the prizing, the entry fee, etc.

TheNidoKing

Aspiring Trainer
This is true. Pokemon has been very good about important and good cards not being prohibitively expensive.
Don’t get me wrong, a price increase to $70 when players are used to much less can be upsetting, but I do chuckle when I read about “expensive” Pokémon. I have individual MTG cards which are more expensive than entire. PTCG tier 1 decks. That’s one thing I’ve always enjoyed about Pokémon- it’s fun AND affordable.

ZestyGan

Aspiring Trainer
Don’t get me wrong, a price increase to $70 when players are used to much less can be upsetting, but I do chuckle when I read about “expensive” Pokémon. I have individual MTG cards which are more expensive than entire. PTCG tier 1 decks. That’s one thing I’ve always enjoyed about Pokémon- it’s fun AND affordable.
Yeah, but the main audience and fanbase for MTG is and has been 20+ year olds to late 30 year olds with money to spend on hobbies. The main audience for PTCG is teens to 20 year olds. The kind of people currently in school looking for something fun to work towards or do during their free time- it's two entirely different worlds. I'd be peeved if they asked for THIRTY dollars- $70 is a lot to ask for from high schoolers and college students.

TheNidoKing

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah, but the main audience and fanbase for MTG is and has been 20+ year olds to late 30 year olds with money to spend on hobbies. The main audience for PTCG is teens to 20 year olds. The kind of people currently in school looking for something fun to work towards or do during their free time- it's two entirely different worlds. I'd be peeved if they asked for THIRTY dollars- $70 is a lot to ask for from high schoolers and college students.
Good point!

Deikun

Aspiring Trainer
My theory is that local sanctioning isn't going to reopen until Japan (as a country, but that includes events) reopens fully. And, unlike their competition that is mainly sold to be actually played, I don't think TPCi really cares.
Japan will be opening up a bit more again on 9/7. No more "blue list" country of origin and no more guided package tour requirements. Not sure just how free this is, but my guess is it still won't be quite like what it was pre-pandemic.

Luca

Aspiring Trainer
it’s such bull crap that they keep doing this, the would lose microscopic amounts of money tpci takes in every, it should be 20 across all age groups lower for juniors. this is just tpci being massive goddamn cheapskates

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Prices were already fairly absurd for events, even some locals charging a whopping $10 for entry fee.

This is a massive turn-off to both VGC and TCG players. I hope they reconsider this decision as the past 2 years were already giving off the vibe that Pokemon is an overpriced luxury. From needing NSO to play online, to Pokemon Home needing premium access for competitive play statistics - Pokemon is becoming excessively pricey to enjoy to it's fullest and I am frustrated by it.

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
The thing is, Pokémon has been around long enough they could have done the same stuff as Wizards of the Coast and focus on relatively fewer whales pushing up prices of products. Instead they keep it at an economical position so that you can actually play it.

JacetheDerpScuplter

Aspiring Trainer
Im confused by some of these people who are blaming the Pokemon company about this. Doesnt the local Tournament Organizer (TO) set the prices? Since the Pokemon company doesnt have really much to do with these events. Other than allowing these companies to use their materials to advertise, they have zero involvement.

And prices have seem to went up since rents have went up. For TOs to organize tournaments, they need to pay the convention centers and with inflation going on Im sure rents have gone up and the cost to use the space has went up. With MTG, the same issues have been going on forever since the cost to rent these places just keeps going up. Even pre-COVID, the cost to use convention centers just kept going up.

Maybe they need to increase prize support to compensate for the increasing rents since Im not sure what else they can really do. Having organized play just isnt cheap anymore. These convention centers just keep getting more expensive. If rents went down, then yeah Im sure they can lower tournament entry, but as long as rents remain high, they need to be able to make some sort of a profit, if any. The TO's barely struggle to make money as it is and some of these events end up losing money if they cant get enough people. It is just is what it is.

ultimatedra

Aspiring Trainer
Digging up the topic but SLC registration is up and TCG and GO are both $70, so it will be more expensive to play in Utah than Baltimore.