Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Entry fees for Pokemon tournaments are continuing to climb.
This weekend TCG players discovered it would cost nearly $70 (after taxes) to register for September’s Baltimore Regionals, the first event of the 2022-2023 season. This cost is for all three age divisions, including the Junior division.
Isaiah Cheville, one of PokeBeach’s competitive article writers, summed up the concerns of many Pokemon players who voiced their opinions on social media:
I’m fortunately in a position where I can afford the cost of registration for multiple events in a year, but if events had this level of cost when I started as a Junior, my family...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
My theory is that local sanctioning isn't going to reopen until Japan (as a country, but that includes events) reopens fully. And, unlike their competition that is mainly sold to be actually played, I don't think TPCi really cares.

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
Pokemon TCG has always been a money game. If you cant afford the good stuff you cant really compete. I don't keep up with the competitive scene anymore so I don't know if the value in cards, like Umbreon VMAX or anything with Charizard in the name, reflect their competitive status but it's been like that since I tried being competitive during the end of ruby/sapphire and toward the end of HeartGold/SoulSilver and I was generally priced out of cards.
This is just how I see it though, if others have different experience than fine.

Polaris

Pokemon TCG has always been a money game. If you cant afford the good stuff you cant really compete. I don't keep up with the competitive scene anymore so I don't know if the value in cards, like Umbreon VMAX or anything with Charizard in the name, reflect their competitive status but it's been like that since I tried being competitive during the end of ruby/sapphire and toward the end of HeartGold/SoulSilver and I was generally priced out of cards.
This is just how I see it though, if others have different experience than fine.
While it's true the game has ways costed money, there's always been ways to make playing the game reasonable; many fun, playable decks can be reasonably costed, and borrowing cards within a group of people has always been a thing as well. A 70$ price tag on playing for a single day is unprecedented in my experience; I've never traveled to be play, but I'd have to imagine that traveling has gotten a lot less appealing with this as well. At least if I'm playing for cards, that's something I can take with me forever to play with friends or just collect; the tournament experience is fun but it isn't 70$ fun. The game is possibly more popular than ever too, but a lot of people will probably check out at this point; what a way to shoot yourself I the foot.

I just went to a prerelease with a bunch of new families who's kids want to get into the game; most of them probably won't let them go to regionals for this price. Super lame.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Rising entry fee costs were something I did not agree with and was one of the main reasons I stopped judging events. The game did not go in a direction that aligned with my beliefs. The event is also going to be an even higher cost when you factor in the cost of travelling to the venue. Airplane tickets aren't cheap and neither is gas. If you are out of state, you are liking booking a hotel room for at least 1 night. If I were to come back as a player, I would not be willing to go to a regionals because of the ridiculous cost. I'd rather use the $70 and go to a theme park instead.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
On one hand, for Yugioh deck prices are disgusting currently (we're talking about 900 for a deck) while entry prices remain chilling at $20 even for large events.

Pokemon, on the other hand, seems to cap at around $150 max, but events are pretty pricey. Also, it has cash prizing (which yugioh doesn't do).

I think having substantially cheaper decks and Pokemon simply being collected more results in way larger tournaments. In other words, more players -> way larger venues and resources needed -> larger costs need to be recuperated.

I'm not sure what the most reasonable solution would be. Considering how much money Pokemon makes, would it kill them to provide more support to let costs be capped at the $20 mark Konami generally aims for in their tournaments? They'd easily make up the losses from events that aren't profitable through more cards and miscellaneous stuff being bought

Zeeman

Pachirisu is the cutest
Holy smokes. I didn't realize there was an entrance fee.

The last tournament I played was regionals 2012 so that lines up with my experiences of free tournaments. I Definitely wouldn't have been able to play as a kid, my dad was bringing us three kids to tournaments (including 1-2 regionals a year) and there's no shot we could have afforded even $30 per person (we played poo decks lol).

I'm really sad to see TPCi has added fees like this, even if I'm late to the party.

Luke Skywalker

Expanded Best Format
This is honestly sad in my opinion. I have loved the TCG and have played for many years. However this mixed with the apparent loss of expanded tournaments just screams even more that all they are out for is money. I do however understand that organizers need to be able to cover the cost of the venue and such but I feel that if as a company you want to be expanding more, then you should offer incentives such as providing a stipend to organizers to help them hold the tournaments and such. But, they may already have some form of funding that we haven't heard of yet due to the non disclosure agreement.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Guess it's now time to play TCG Online instead. Here is a random code someone can use (first come first serve):

62J-CLRN-P9Q-W6D

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
So the physical scene is getting worse and TCGLive remains as crappy as 6 months ago...

Thank god PTCGO is still alive, although I wonder how long can the (competitive) game actually survive if the app is the only thing entirely holding it up... I wonder if TPCi is just trying to kill competitive Pokemon on its entirety and make PTCG a collector based game.

WojtekBB

Aspiring Trainer
For me the main issue is traveling costs. Going to a different country can be expensive. A single regional can cost about 500$ We are getting first regionals in Poland but it's still about 200$

We need one of these things to happen:
Lower CP requirements
CP for online tournaments
League Cups and challenges back

Otherwise qualifying for worlds will be imposefor some due to costs. I am not even mentioning juniors or seniors

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
The last event I ever participated in was the prerelease for EX Delta Species.

(Wow 🥲)

You paid, I think, $20 or $30, but you got more than enough back in packs and whatnot.

TheNidoKing

Aspiring Trainer
A money game? *Magic: The Gathering* has entered the chat.