OU: Strategy Pokemon of the Week - Rotom-Wash

RE: Pokemon of the Week - Tornadus-Therian

tumblr_naqcpfQOMi1snsyxqo1_1280.png

Tornadus-Therian

written by Uralya

tornadus-therian.gif

Base Stats

79/100/80/110/90/121​

One of those banned during the weather-infested fifth generation, Tornadus-T returned to an OU that surprisingly was dominated by clear skies for it to fly through. Though this proves a challenge to Tornadus-T based on its reliance on rain and team support to accommodate for its shortcomings, Tornadus-T has carved out a sizable niche as an offensive pivot thanks to its quickness, survivability, above-average offenses and unique typing.

Vested Pivot

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

This variant utilizes the best of Tornadus-T's ability to provide momentum by switching into special attackers like Keldeo and Landorus, using its Assault Vest to tank their best shots, and turning the tables with one move. Hurricane, despite its lackluster accuracy, must function as Tornadus-T's main attack due to its great power. Knock Off comes from the other side of the offensive spectrum to cripple Pokemon like Chansey, Landorus and defensive Heatran, all of whom rely on their items for power or bulk. Focus Blast provides crucial coverage alongside Hurricane for Pokemon like Tyranitar, Heatran and other Steel-types. U-turn provides Tornadus-T with its momentum expertise, letting it pivot out of opposing switch-ins and compromise residual and chip damage by healing with Regenerator. The given EV spread and nature allows Hurricane to OHKO Keldeo and Tornadus-T to outspeed base 115 speed Pokemon and Scarf Tyranitar while also retaining bulk to combat special attackers.

Life Orb Attacker Pivot

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Superpower
- U-turn

This offensive set enjoys the rain especially, trading bulk for much greater power and abusing the chance to fire off perfectly accurate Hurricanes. The aforementioned move still functions as it did before, but is now joined by Superpower to combat Tyranitar, Excadrill, Chansey and others thanks to the ability to go with mixed offenses with a Naive nature. Taunt is a nice tool for rendering ineffective defensive Pokemon like Gliscor and Ferrothorn as well as stopping incoming status moves. Finally, U-turn returns to keep Tornadus-T mobile, this time countering its Life Orb damage in addition to accumulated residue. The given EVs allow Superpower to OHKO Tyranitar and Excadrill, Hurricane to hit as hard as possible, and Tornadus-T to outrun the base 115 speed tier.

Discuss!

I'm suprised the AV set got a mention, hahaha I remember a couple of members saying it wasn't viable :p From my last memory of using AV Tornadus-T I found the coverage and longevity quite suprising, being able to threaten a lot of the metagame, while having some suprising bulk combined with easy recovery. You could even stick Heatwave on it as a guaranteed Steel killer or put Superpower on it for special walls like Chansey.

tumblr_naqcpfQOMi1snsyxqo1_1280.png

Rotom-Wash

written by Uralya

rotom-wash.gif

Base Stats

50/65/107/105/107/86​

Rotom-W, once having gained its Water/Electric typing, became arguably the best bulky pivot in OU during the fifth generation, and, even with the rise of Mega Evolutions, it still holds a decent niche doing what it does. Through a great set of resistances, one weakness, solid invested bulk, access to momentum-based moves, and amazing core synergy with certain common sights in OU like Scizor, the washing machine that could takes on some of the most fearsome attackers the game has ever seen and does it admirably.

Defensive Pivot

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Rest

Rotom-W has little variance in its set choices because the minimum serves it very well, accomplishing its task of handling Pokemon like Landorus-T, Talonflame, Azumarill, Crawdaunt and more. Hydro Pump functions as its all-purpose Water STAB, taking out Ground-types like Landorus-T and Mamoswine that it can take on well. Volt Switch capitalizes on all of Rotom-W's traits as its main Electric STAB by supplying its pivot abilities while still doing sizable damage to weak threats. In the third slot, Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and essentially raises Rotom-W's bulk while being a nuisance overall. The last slot holds the recovery option, with Pain Split preferred for multiple uses alongside Leftovers but the combination of Rest and Chesto Berry also being viable for a full heal and the benefit of covering for a status-weak team. The EV spread maximizes Rotom-W's physical bulk while keeping it at an odd HP count to reduce Stealth Rock damage. However, one can take EVs from Defense and put them into Speed to help outrun specific threats - 44 for the uncommon Jolly Azumarill, 88 for Jolly Crawdaunt, and 128 for Adamant Bisharp are among the options. Special bulk can be used to take hits better from the likes of Latios, Manectric, and Landorus, but this costs Rotom-W the ability to switch into its normal assignments greatly.

Discuss!

I still prefer Scarf versions of Rotom to their defensive sets. With Trick and Volt Switch, they definitely increase momentum through the game.
And Rotom-W is my preferred choice over Rotom-H simply to make the opponent less inclined to switch in Ground-types due to the threat of Hydro Pump.

I've never really liked Scarf Rotom-W in gen 6 because it isn't very hard-hitting and your opponent may send out a mega to ruin your Trick. I prefer a solid wall with WoW and a fairly slow Volt Switch.

Ah, my good old pal. Had some fun times with this.

Even back in Gen V, when the Scarf sets were arguably more viable, I almost never used them. For me, Rotom has always been a jack of all trades; whenever I was missing a physical or special defender, or lacking a check or counter, most of the time Rotom would fit the spot pretty well. Amazing typing and great utility were always what made me like this Pokemon so much, to the point of it appearing in 80% of my teams. To this day, I don't think I've ever used anything else to that degree. It just seemed perfect for most of the situations I was facing when teambuilding. Defensive versions in particular were great-I've never been a fan of Trick, only used Specs Gothitelle with it-with WoW and Volt Switch, always critical to my mostly offensive teams, allowing for much-needed momentum.

I like the double status set which gives up Paint Split for Thunder Wave enabling Rotom-W to catch fast Pokemon off guard on the switch while expecting a Will-o-Wisp especially Lati@s which are a common answers to Rotom-W, while still being able to burn physical attackers.

Back