OU: Strategy Pokemon of the Week - Rotom-Wash

Uralya

*ponders everything*
Welcome to the Pokemon of the Week project! Each week, there will be a new Pokemon to be thrust into the discussion spotlight, primarily those in the Overused tier. This project is designed to spark discussion on trends in a Pokemon's viability, threats that a player must know and be prepared for, and give shed some light on lesser-known Pokemon. Any discussion related to the chosen Pokemon is welcome during the week it is focused on. Enjoy!

tumblr_naqcpfQOMi1snsyxqo1_1280.png

Thundurus-I (Incarnate)

written by Keeper of Night and Uralya

thundurus.gif

Base Stats

79/115/70/125/80/111​

Thundurus is well known for its extremely useful ability, Prankster, which grants it instant priority on several great moves in its moveset, including Thunder Wave, Substitute, and Nasty Plot. Its viability in OU is rarely outclassed by other Electric-types, and its typing is semi-unique to the metagame. It has a massive Special Attack stat, and base 111 Speed puts it just past the 110 mark that runs rampant in OU. Thundurus is truly a gold standard for offensive Pokemon.

Prankster Attacker

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast / Psychic​

This Thundurus set is the epitome of utility and support on offensive teams, often acting as "glue" that patches up their weaknesses. With the amazing Prankster ability, Thundurus is able to instantly Paralyze any non-Ground- or Electric-type Pokemon, especially sweepers, slowing them down significantly. Thunderbolt is Thundurus’ main STAB of choice, while also being super effective to common Flying- and Water-types. Hidden Power Ice provides important coverage, allowing Thundurus to hit the likes of Gliscor, Garchomp, Landorus, and Dragonite for massive damage. In the last slot, Focus Blast gives Thundurus an out to common Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon such as Excadrill, Ferrothorn, or Tyranitar that would otherwise force Thundurus out. This does, however, leave Thundurus vulnerable to Venusaur and Assault Vest Conkeldurr, both of which can take a Thunderbolt and swing back for tons of damage. Psychic is the flip side of the coin, dealing super effective damage to Venusaur and Conkeldurr, but leaving Thundurus open to Excadrill, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar.

Nasty Plot

Thundurus @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Flying]
- Focus Blast / Psychic​

Making full use of prioritized Nasty Plot and high speed, this set allows Thundurus to set up and wreak havoc on the opponent very quickly. After a Nasty Plot boost, Thundurus is able to overcome many specially defensive Pokemon, turning Thundurus into a wallbreaker as well as a sweeper. Aside from Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt is the other definite move of the set, due to its STAB bonus, high power, and reliable accuracy. Hidden Power Flying offers great neutral coverage when combined with Thunderbolt, also allowing it to hit Venusaur and other Grass-types super effectively. Hidden Power Ice is great coverage against a majority of Grass-, Ground-, Flying-, and Dragon-types, but Thundurus loses the ability to reliably take out Venusaur (this is fixed, however, if running Psychic). Focus Blast versus Psychic is the same coin flip as our first set. Depending on the rest of your team’s set-up, you should opt for the move that you feel Thundurus would need most often. The utility of Thunder Wave in the last slot is a solid option of course, though it significantly limits Thundurus' coverage. Substitute use to prevent status and revenge kills works as well, but it has the same problem.

Mixed Attacker

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant / Prankster
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower / Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

A different take on Thundurus, becoming even more deadly through its use as a mixed attacker. This Thundurus is great at breaking apart common defensive cores in the early- to-mid-game while also being an asset against offensive teams. With the Defiant ability, Thundurus’ Attack is raised each time a stat is reduced, making it great to send out on the expected Defog or against Intimidate users such as Gyarados or Landorus-T. Superpower is preferred if using Defiant, while Thunder Wave is only really useful on a Prankster set to help Thundurus outspeed faster threats. Hidden Power Ice is the last move on this set, getting Thundurus around its would-be counters of Landorus and Gliscor, while also letting it deal good damage to dragons that resist Thunderbolt.

Now that you know what the mighty Thundurus can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Thundurus in? How do you handle opposing Thundurus? Discuss!

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #1: Thundurus-I

I like to deal with it with Choice Band Dragonite
Dragonite can 2HKO with +2 priority ExSpeed which is Faster than Prankster so I just need to set SR before sending him and after that it is most likely will be KO'ed.

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #1: Thundurus-I

I haven't played OU in a while, but it *appears* to me that each of the sets listed are made with the idea of punching holes in the opposing team. The Prankster Attacker set trolls a lot of offensive cores due to priority Thunder Wave, as well as the trollsy base 111 speed, while the latter 2 sets deal much more effectively with defensive cores. Nasty Plot will KO pretty much anything (at +2, if you run Focus Blast, you can even beat Chansey!) while the other can lure things like Latias/os out and proceed to just click "knock off". This would theoretically make dealing with Thundurus incredibly difficult because each set is tailor-made to take out things that give the other sets trouble.

X / Y Pokemon of the Week #2: Talonflame

Talonflame

written by Uralya

talonflame.gif

Base Stats

78/81/71/74/69/126​

While possessing mediocre stats across the board save in Speed, being easily walled by physical tanks and Pokemon that resist its moves, and having extreme frailty, Talonflame is no ordinary regional bird; it has all of the right tools to succeed in OU. With its amazing ability Gale Wings, which grants priority to Flying-type moves, and access to powerful STABs like Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, it can become the best revenge killer in OU and function as a cleaner, a sweeper, or a stallbreaker depending on its moveset. Talonflame is a force to be reckoned with and an offensive cornerstone.

Revenge Killer

Talonflame @ Choice Band / Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind / Roost​

Arguably the best revenge killer in OU when holding a Choice Band, Talonflame hits hard and fast, cleaning up weakened teams at the drop of a hat. Thanks to its ability and raw power, Brave Bird is a nuke button for offensive teams and OHKOs many Pokemon; this is Talonflame's staple move. Pokemon that resist Brave Bird, namely Steel-types and Pokemon like Zapdos, are wrecked by Flare Blitz, though this is used less often. U-turn is the obligatory momentum-gainer on this set, allowing Talonflame to chip away at would-be counters like Rotom-W and scout if necessary. The last slot is correspondent to the chosen item: with the preferred Choice Band, Tailwind provides team support and helps teams KO Pokemon that Talonflame can't, like Mega Manectric and Mega Aerodactyl, while Roost is preferred with Sharp Beak in tandem with Talonflame's ability to switch moves and stay in on foes. Other moves can be used in this slot as well, such as Will-O-Wisp for status utilities and Sleep Talk to create a switch-in to Breloom and the occasional Mega Venusaur, but these are outclassed by the first two options.

Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost​

In contrast to the hit-and-run nature of the first set, the Swords Dance set allows Talonflame to sweep, simply put. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz accomplish the same things that they do on any Talonflame set, but the boost granted by Swords Dance adds a substantial level of power to each move, OHKOing a wider range of targets. Roost is best as the fourth move to supplement a possible early-game role in firing off attacks and coming in later to sweep, and it also allows Talonflame to more ably deal with what it checks, like Mega-Venusaur, Scizor, and Clefable. However, U-turn can be used as a momentum enabler here too. The given EV spread is preferred to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus-I, a troublesome and popular offensive Pokemon, but using a maximized offensive spread and an Adamant nature is an option for more power while still being able to get rid of Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird.

Utility

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up / Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt / Will-O-Wisp​

With a few select move choices, Talonflame can assume a specially defensive spread and become a stallbreaker, crippler, or a sturdy physical sweeper. With Bulk Up and/or Will-O-Wisp patching up its Defense stat, all of the EVs can be focused on its special side, with 248 HP to allow five Stealth Rock-afflicted switch-ins. Brave Bird is once again the staple offensive move here, functioning in much the same way as always. Roost is the second fixed move, enabling Talonflame to boost up on Pokemon that can barely scratch it or do its job with a more durable body, even cushioning it from faster Rock- and Electric-type moves in the process. Taunt cripples many defensive Pokemon and delays hazards and status moves, also allowing Talonflame to beat some of its checks, like Heatran. Lastly, Bulk Up's option allows Talonflame to beef itself up and sweep, while Will-O-Wisp is can be used with either Bulk Up or Taunt to further cripple counters and promote set-up.

Now that you know what Talonflame can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Talonflame in? How do you handle opposing Talonflame? Discuss!

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #2: Talonflame

My Talonflame counter is my scarfed Garchomp with stone edge even if they run intimidate

Have you tried SD + Liechi Berry Talonflame? With Natural Gift.

With that set. It is able to beat one of it's biggest counters being Rotom-Wash with a +2 100 base power move that is a grass type.

I use Talonflame on my VGC team, but I'm not using the standard Choice Band set. Tailwind is the main purpose it serves on my team because getting first strike can mean all the difference between winning and losing. Tyranitar is how I had handled Talonflame at Worlds since it doesn't take much damage from Brave Bird or Flare Blitz.

This is THE bird spam king
With Staraptor on his side it can be really dangrous.
One of the greatest checks and partners for Talonflame is MegaManactric which can take BB and OHKO it and on Talonflame's side can find many chances to switch in on T-waves and T-bolts to active its ability while both creates a great Volt-turn party

DdogTheKing said:
Have you tried SD + Liechi Berry Talonflame? With Natural Gift.

With that set. It is able to beat one of it's biggest counters being Rotom-Wash with a +2 100 base power move that is a grass type.

That's a pretty cool idea. I'm not sure it's worth losing Sharp Beak and Roost/Flare Blitz, but it certainly sounds fun to use. It would definitely catch people off-guard and I'm sure nobody would expect it.

Thanks man. I been using that set for quite a bit. And as you said it does catch mons off guard.

The only flaw is that Natural Gift is a one time use. After I use the berry I can't use it after that. This can be bad if I mispredict the Rotom coming in or etc. I had a mixed Talonflame as well. It was pretty legit.

Natural Gift with Salac Berry is also another option to hit Heatran.

Jolly nature is perfectly viable on the Choice Band set, I'd slash that in. It misses the loss in power a little, but makes up for it by being able to revenge kill Thundurus and other faster stuff (you can u-turn out of greninjas too I suppose lol). Also means your talonflame will be able to revenge kill other talonflame most of the time.

Mixed and Natural Gift Talonflame are possibilties (especially VGC for the latter), however, they're quite situational. Natural Gift in particular is a one-use move which only functions against Rotom-W and carries huge risk. Sure, the element of surprise exists, but that's about it, and I wouldn't make it a habit of using it:).

It's good if your team specifically needs a heatran or rotom-w lure.

Chaos Jackal said:
Mixed and Natural Gift Talonflame are possibilties (especially VGC for the latter), however, they're quite situational. Natural Gift in particular is a one-use move which only functions against Rotom-W and carries huge risk. Sure, the element of surprise exists, but that's about it, and I wouldn't make it a habit of using it:).
SD Natural Gift Talonflame is situational but nonetheless a potent strategy, though I would say that in most cases the other options the SD set can utilize do outclass it. However, it earned itself a set of its own on the Smogon analyses index, so if that's any testament to its viability, there you go.

Personally, I use the proven CB set time after time, but then again I play offense time after time as well. CB Talonflame is just so reliable, and it's extremely satisfying to sweep through half of a team with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz.

X / Y Pokemon of the Week #3: Pinsir

Pinsir

written by Chaos Jackal and Uralya

pinsir.gif
pinsir-mega.gif

Base Stats

65/125/100/55/70/85

65/155/120/65/90/105 (Mega)​

Formerly outclassed by Heracross, Pinsir finally gets its chance to shine in the XY metagame. Thanks to the god-sent gift of Mega Evolution, Pinsir is one of the most powerful setup physical sweepers in OU. While doubly weak to Stealth Rock in vanilla and 4x weak in Mega forme, Pinsir possesses titanic Attack, great Speed and a fantastic ability in Aerilate in addition to decent defenses and access to Quick Attack - a STAB move thanks to its new ability. Pinsir might be predictable due to practically having only one set; however, its potential as a physical attacker is frightening.

Swords Dance

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return/Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat/Earthquake
- Swords Dance​

This is the set that almost all Pinsir will have. Swords Dance boosts Pinsir’s Attack to impossible heights, allowing it to sweep entire teams once its checks and counters have been removed. Aerilate enhances this by boosting the vast array of Normal-type moves Pinsir can learn and turn them into Flying-type nukes. Return/Frustration is Pinsir’s strongest STAB option, while Quick Attack provides assistance in the form of very powerful priority. Close Combat is the preferred option for the last moveslot against the only things that can resist Flying-type moves: Rock-, Steel- and Electric-types, specifically Tyranitar, Rotom-W and Heatran. Earthquake can be used for a clean OHKO against Heatran while still doing severe damage to Tyranitar and having the bonus of not reducing stats. In terms of abilities, Hyper Cutter is a great option due to granting immunity to Intimidate, which is pivotal against Landorus-T - a +2 Return is necessary to OHKO the defensive version. Alternatively, Mold Breaker can be used in vanilla form to lure and KO Rotom-W, and Moxie can be used to grab an early boost with Return or Quick Attack against an unsuspecting opponent.

Now that you know what Pinsir can do, how do you use it? What teams and playstyles do you utilize Pinsir in? How do you handle opposing Pinsir? Discuss!

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #2: Pinsir

Just thought I would say this is #3. This was after Talonflame who was #2.

And about Pinsir. Last generation it was very useful as a Moxie + Choice Scarf user. In a sense it was one of my favorite scarfers in NU. But, now it's solely a mega now much like Mawile, and Manectric. Pinsir legit fits in any HO team out there cause of its immense power and 30% boost from Aerilate and granted STAB. It's destructive and very few mons in OU can beat it like Skarmory.

RE: X / Y Pokemon of the Week #3: Pinsir

When it comes to Mega Pinsir there is always the major dilemma :
CC or EQ?
While EQ main use was to hit Aegislash, even after its ban EQ is still a great coverage move that can destroy many other mons and is still used more then CC.

CC on the other hand is Mega Pinsir's best move to go against a weakened Rotom-W and does best against
Ferrothorn :
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 202-238 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 84-99 (23.8 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 106-125 (34.8 - 41.1%) -- 65.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

CC puts end to Mega Tyranitar without SD boost while EQ neets SD in order to OHKO.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 420-496 (123.1 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar: 174-206 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think Close Combat is finally a viable move on Mega Pinsir now. Previous counters of Skarmory and Rotom-W can no longer wall Close Combat Mega Pinsir.

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 170-200 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 211-249 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

CC is the better coverage move overall in non-aegislash meta.

I've seen people running feint > quick attack because the increased priority means you can check other pinsir with your own pinsir, but it's very situational and the extra power of quick attack makes it the superior option in general.

Void said:
CC is the better coverage move overall in non-aegislash meta.

I've seen people running feint > quick attack because the increased priority means you can check other pinsir with your own pinsir, but it's very situational and the extra power of quick attack makes it the superior option in general.

It also worth mentioning that Fient can be used against weakened Talonflame in Pinsirs original form to overcome BB and gain Moxie boost. But overall Quick attack is better.

Back