Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Starting in September, Japanese booster boxes will feature a new tamper-proof design. To open one, you’ll need to tear a perforated line along the top of the box. Previously, you simply lifted the flap to open one.

Old-Japanese-Booster-Boxes-200x150.jpg

Old Booster Boxes

New-Japanese-Booster-Boxes-200x150.jpg

New Booster Boxes

This new method will “damage” the box to make it obvious it’s been opened. This is no doubt a countermeasure by Pokemon to combat the increasing number of resealed booster boxes making it to the secondary market. In recent years there have been numerous reports of Japanese fans opening booster boxes, only to find the booster packs contain no chase cards. This is because members of Team Rocket are filling the boxes with tampered packs and reselling them.
As we reported last year, Japanese stores began to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
"although it upset some fans who wanted to keep sealed boxes in their collection." Tough luck for collectors but this is a great idea. It is going to be extremely difficult to reseal that particular box since you have to first tear out the seal. It will leave bent marks.

Chari

Aspiring Trainer
"although it upset some fans who wanted to keep sealed boxes in their collection." Tough luck for collectors but this is a great idea. It is going to be extremely difficult to reseal that particular box since you have to first tear out the seal. It will leave bent marks.

Tough luck for scammers*. The collectors can keep it sealed if they want a sealed booster box and it's fine, I don't see the problem

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
I support this 10,000% !!!! Crossing my fingers that this concept will spread outside Japan too. I will even pay TPCi to do this.

Pokemon1982

Aspiring Trainer
This only works with Japanese boxes because of the guaranteed Ultra Rare. English boxes, for the most part, aren't seeded.

Snowy Lilacs

Aspiring Trainer
dude you miss read that part, it was when in Japan they would take the plastic seal off the box, not this new thing

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
No clue, took me a moment to process the possibilities before realizing "Oh, nope, yeah, we'd better get this box design pronto"
Oh hey, don't worry. I didn't mean it as a 'gotcha' question. Like some other people in the thread have pointed out, I don't think EN boxes have any guaranteed number of rares per box, and absolutely are not mapped (I think SM base was and that's kind of been it?) so anti-tamper action seems like it's not going to do much for the boxes – it'd be a good move for booster packs, though. Japan's booster wrap seems like it's not possible to reseal.

HershelLayton

Aspiring Trainer
Oh wow... this kind of design choice had BETTER come to our English products and boxes at some point amidst the current chaos. This could really help even the odds with the scammers' antics worldwide!
What we need is for Pokemon to stop making 500 card sets who the hell wants to buy a $90 box (usually 120 in LCS) just to not even be guaranteed a certain amount of pulls