Ruling Pokemon Card "Can't Use /Attack... Next Turn"

mistermagic91

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone,

i am asking for a very special thing about the ruling of cards. I am still new (now 1 year playing) in the game and still can't believe one ruling in cards. I played against a friend of mine and he used the new Ho-oh. So the card is telling me the following with its second attack
"This pokemon can't use Phoenix Burn during your next turn". Well here is also the card to read it yourself.
1123536.jpg

So my question is:
If you switch Ho-Oh out of the active to the bench and it comes back in (the same Pokemon as it was before, not a different Ho-Oh from the bench), can it attack in the same turn?

Because i would say it is not possible, because the effect of the attack is still on this Pokemon. If you would use a different Ho-Oh it should be ok, because it didn't attack the last turn and has still the possibility to use Phoenix Burst. But if you are using the same Ho-Oh it is not possible.

For example, i used the decklist of the youtuber YellowSwellow. He used the pokemon Swellow with Victini together and also had switched out the attacking Swellow with another Pokemon on his bench. After he switched back he still had the effect from his attack going on. Here is a link to the video:

I hope someone can help me with this.
Thank you very much everyone.

If a card reads that it cant attack / use a specific attack. That effects remains on the active pokemon as long as its active. Just like status conditions, those effects go away when moved to the bench, if a player manages to put the same pokemon active again in anyway possible. Then the effect is no longer on that pokemon and it can attack once again. Hopefully this answered your question :)

Thank you very much for your answer. I still don't really understand, why they did it like that.
It will give those Pokemon a strong impact on just going to the bench and switch back into the active. I mean you have a lot of cards helping you there and also some pokemon with no retreat cost. So making such an effect is really stupid, because you can loose it by switching it with a pokemon without retreat cost or just using switch twice or escape rope etc.
I would be really happy if they stick to the wording, what is really written on the card and you have to stick to it. Maybe mark the used pokemon like Ho-Oh so it is completly sure that you are not using the same Pokemon, which actually can't use that attack in the next turn.

I would just use Pokemon ranger and then you can attack again which is good with Ho Ho GX. Pokemon ranger also works with Pokemon on the other team like say you vs a seismetoad ex or Mismagius you can use Pokemon ranger and defy their move which is so helpful. :)

If a card reads that it cant attack / use a specific attack. That effects remains on the active pokemon as long as its active. Just like status conditions, those effects go away when moved to the bench, if a player manages to put the same pokemon active again in anyway possible. Then the effect is no longer on that pokemon and it can attack once again. Hopefully this answered your question :)
No it stays on the Pokemon until the end of the turn because it reads "This Pokemon can't use Phoenix Burn next turn" no matter what you do it is still the sam epokemon and there is nothing you can change about that, but you can use different moves that are named Phoenix burn, which is the GX more of the snipe move. Sorry about he confusion but those are the rules I'm pretty certain.

But nothing to fear pokemon ranger nullifies the effect and you can use the move again, it's a helpful supporter.

No it stays on the Pokemon until the end of the turn because it reads "This Pokemon can't use Phoenix Burn next turn" no matter what you do it is still the sam epokemon and there is nothing you can change about that, but you can use different moves that are named Phoenix burn, which is the GX more of the snipe move. Sorry about he confusion but those are the rules I'm pretty certain.

I can 100% guarantee you the effect goes away after you retreat. Ive been playing lapras gx and that pokemons blizzard burn states that you cant attack at all. But if I retreat with manaphy and get back with something like a switch, guzma or wishiwashi. Then i can attack just fine ive used this at several local tournaments and never heard any complains about it

Last edited:
Totoboss is 100% correct here. That's why cards to switch around your Pokémon have been the basis for Volcanion (and later Lapras, and now Ho-Oh) decks since they became a thing.

You could even use Phoenix Burn on the same Ho-oh. All effects drop when it hits the bench. So if you were to guzma out of active into a Tapu koko and then retreat koko into the Ho-oh, you can attack with it.

Yep. I realize now that my post was unclear about that, but that's what I meant to be saying... Float + switch/rope (or Olympia/Guzma) = Use same Volcanic Heat / Phoenix Burn over and over

Thank you very much for your answer. I still don't really understand, why they did it like that.
It will give those Pokemon a strong impact on just going to the bench and switch back into the active. I mean you have a lot of cards helping you there and also some pokemon with no retreat cost. So making such an effect is really stupid, because you can loose it by switching it with a pokemon without retreat cost or just using switch twice or escape rope etc.
I would be really happy if they stick to the wording, what is really written on the card and you have to stick to it. Maybe mark the used pokemon like Ho-Oh so it is completly sure that you are not using the same Pokemon, which actually can't use that attack in the next turn.

You're right that there are plenty of cards now that help you get Ho-oh out of the active to be able to attack again next turn. However you're using resources fr your turn to achieve this. Instead of using a supporter to try to set up additional pokemon you're focusing on Ho-oh attacking again. Just helps balance out the card.

Hitting the bench is kind of like evolving. You hit the reset button on the effects of attacks and on status conditions.

Back