Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi’s European branch has sent out a press release revealing that Pokemon broke all its previous records in Europe during 2021.
Together, the Pokemon TCG and Pokemon toys were either the #1 selling property in a country or saw the highest increase in sales out of any tracked property.
Pokemon was the #1 property in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, and saw the highest year-on-year sales increase in the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
The press release says TPCi plans to launch increased TCG distribution to Eastern Europe in 2022, including in Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Israel. These plans also include greater marketing efforts.
The press release says more than 22 billion Pokemon cards have shipped around the world, but this figure appears to be incorrect...

Continue reading...

montoya.c

Aspiring Trainer
It’s crazy to think that the Pokémon TCG will probably outlive all of us.

At some point I’m also anticipating that they’ll start releasing exclusive Pokémon TCG NFT’s…imagine the resale value on those.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
I'll roblox myself if official pokemon nfts are ever made. Maybe it's only a matter of time. It's already so irritatingly similar to how the secondary tcg market functions.
Now comes the inverse relation to it very soon. Just like in the 1990s, pokemon was all day everyday, then people got annoyed.

this is probably true. Although the boom-to-bust cycle is less of a problem these days with universal accessibility being such an omnipresent part of our media consumption. I wouldn't mind a bit of a die down, since there is a lot of hype surrounding the artificial scarcity of cards, which imo shouldn't be a thing in a card game where gameplay is a key factor.

Why the scare quotes around Eastern Europe?

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I'll roblox myself if official pokemon nfts are ever made. Maybe it's only a matter of time. It's already so irritatingly similar to how the secondary tcg market functions.

this is probably true. Although the boom-to-bust cycle is less of a problem these days with universal accessibility being such an omnipresent part of our media consumption. I wouldn't mind a bit of a die down, since there is a lot of hype surrounding the artificial scarcity of cards, which imo shouldn't be a thing in a card game where gameplay is a key factor.

Why the scare quotes around Eastern Europe?
With cards, you actually own something. NFTs are just a pyramid scheme where they only gain value if more people buy into them, which is why the people and companies that are investing in them push them so hard.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
With cards, you actually own something. NFTs are just a pyramid scheme where they only gain value if more people buy into them, which is why the people and companies that are investing in them push them so hard.
don't you own the right to replicate nfts, if they are images at least?
I agree NFTs are a sham, but tcgs are just as, if not moreso, an artificial market, constructed with fomo in mind. I'll never stop collecting as long as there is a game to play, though. I think that's what makes the Pokémon tcg as long-lasting and ubiquitous as it is, whereas the lenticular cards, stickers, branded pogs, etc. are significantly smaller sub-segments of the tcg economy.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
don't you own the right to replicate nfts, if they are images at least?
I agree NFTs are a sham, but tcgs are just as, if not moreso, an artificial market, constructed with fomo in mind. I'll never stop collecting as long as there is a game to play, though. I think that's what makes the Pokémon tcg as long-lasting and ubiquitous as it is, whereas the lenticular cards, stickers, branded pogs, etc. are significantly smaller sub-segments of the tcg economy.
If I copy your image, link it to another NFT, and sell it, what can you do about that?

NFTs are completely false scarcity. Any physical item is going to be limited in some way though, and that'll just lead to natural supply and demand. The TCG market is the same as any other.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
If I copy your image, link it to another NFT, and sell it, what can you do about that?

NFTs are completely false scarcity. Any physical item is going to be limited in some way though, and that'll just lead to natural supply and demand. The TCG market is the same as any other.
I guess its lucky I've never made anything worth eternalizing ;)
The main difference between tcgs and other regulated markets is that tcg companies have production monopoly and thus their markets have an imposed scarcity. There's no practical situation that stops a reprint of base set for example. There are plenty of financial benefits to not doing so, both for the company and other off-exchange market participants. This is not "natural" supply and demand.

AimanAbdallah

Aspiring Trainer
It’s crazy to think that the Pokémon TCG will probably outlive all of us.

At some point I’m also anticipating that they’ll start releasing exclusive Pokémon TCG NFT’s…imagine the resale value on those.
Here is my idea for Implementing NFT's the right way. Oppose to the believe of some on here, you actually do have ownership with NFT's and Pokemon could use it like that:

1. They upgrade the whole TCG Online Plattform and integrate it in a NOT TOO INVASIVE manor into their other games. For example you could find a hidden TCG Card in Pokemon GO or the newer games. Play the tcg game inside of the other games and so on

2. If you pull a real Card you get access on the same card in the TCG APP(or they could make a special rarity which makes the card "Uploadable" in case the online tcg market gets inflated)

3. Now to the NFT part. If you have a certain amount(2-5) of a Card you can mint it on to the partnered Blockchain, that way you have ownership over your own unique Card(not the Artwork itself) <= This system is allready found in games like Gods unchained and is very well resieved from Community and company alike.

I know NFTs are misused a lot and people are getting scammed. But it acutally is cool technologie to make digital goods more sustainable. Look how much money is spend on Fifa every year again and again just for the Football player being worth nothing a year later.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Here is my idea for Implementing NFT's the right way. Oppose to the believe of some on here, you actually do have ownership with NFT's and Pokemon could use it like that:

1. They upgrade the whole TCG Online Plattform and integrate it in a NOT TOO INVASIVE manor into their other games. For example you could find a hidden TCG Card in Pokemon GO or the newer games. Play the tcg game inside of the other games and so on

2. If you pull a real Card you get access on the same card in the TCG APP(or they could make a special rarity which makes the card "Uploadable" in case the online tcg market gets inflated)

3. Now to the NFT part. If you have a certain amount(2-5) of a Card you can mint it on to the partnered Blockchain, that way you have ownership over your own unique Card(not the Artwork itself) <= This system is allready found in games like Gods unchained and is very well resieved from Community and company alike.

I know NFTs are misused a lot and people are getting scammed. But it acutally is cool technologie to make digital goods more sustainable. Look how much money is spend on Fifa every year again and again just for the Football player being worth nothing a year later.
This doesn't work because to make use of this NFT you still have to use TCG Live's client and that means there's a database somewhere that links your NFT to the digital card. Meaning, if the game ever shuts down (COUGHTptcgoCOUGH) your NFT is completely useless.
The reason NFTs don't work is because they can ONLY store a very limited amount of metadata. Meaning for anything more complicated there is always a centralized database that links NFTs to actual assets. So trading NFTs is no more "decentralized" than trading on Pokemon TCG Online right now.

AimanAbdallah

Aspiring Trainer
This doesn't work because to make use of this NFT you still have to use TCG Live's client and that means there's a database somewhere that links your NFT to the digital card. Meaning, if the game ever shuts down (COUGHTptcgoCOUGH) your NFT is completely useless.
The reason NFTs don't work is because they can ONLY store a very limited amount of metadata. Meaning for anything more complicated there is always a centralized database that links NFTs to actual assets. So trading NFTs is no more "decentralized" than trading on Pokemon TCG Online right now.
Okay hmm like i said they should upgrade the whole tcg plattform and what if Pokemon made their own blockchain and crpytocurrency "Pokecoin" for example?

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Okay hmm like i said they should upgrade the whole tcg plattform and what if Pokemon made their own blockchain and crpytocurrency "Pokecoin" for example?
The question isn't whether the word "crypto", "blockchain" or "NFT" are used, but who controls the data and who gives data meaning. Without it, there is absolutely no reason to use blockchain technology. So, for instance, who would say that your NFT is assigned to a card? A database. Who holds that database? TCG Live. So the only tangible difference with using NFTs would be that they have no control over card trading, but they can still delete all of your cards at any time.

AimanAbdallah

Aspiring Trainer
The question isn't whether the word "crypto", "blockchain" or "NFT" are used, but who controls the data and who gives data meaning. Without it, there is absolutely no reason to use blockchain technology. So, for instance, who would say that your NFT is assigned to a card? A database. Who holds that database? TCG Live. So the only tangible difference with using NFTs would be that they have no control over card trading, but they can still delete all of your cards at any time.
Yeah by now that's probably the situation. But if you can't trust that the biggest frenchise in the world doesn't delete your data what else should we trust in 😅. Technicalities by side I would think it would be a cool thing to have more integration of the tcg on the games and digital platforms.