Pokemon Adventures Thread (Pokemon Special)

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
For those of you who do not know, Pokemon Adventures (Pokemon Special in other countries), is a manga loosely based off of the Games themselves. If you have not read it I heavily suggest that you do, although parts are violent and not for small children (even though bookstores have it in the Children section).

For those of you who have read it, how far have you read?
What do you think of the manga overall
Are you happy with the amount of leeway taken from the games?

Discuss! :)

Vulpix-core

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey
I have the last two of the Red/Blue/Green arc, and one of the Yellow arc and have to say it was pretty good. It rivals other mangas.I actually think they might move it to the regular manga/anime section in the bookstore when we hit the Ruby/Sappire arc. That one was quite violent.
I'm glad they loosened up a bit about violence in the Pokemon Special. There is blood in Pokemon now! Finally something natural!
Okay, as for my favorite chapter, i'll have to go with the whole volume three. I loved it. So action packed.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
Im almost at the end of Diamond and Pearl and Platinum is just about to start. It is very interesting and I love the series

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
mlouden03 said:
how far have you read?

Chapter 416 and counting.

And please don't ask people for their favourite this or that. The mods don't like favourite threads (or even semi-favourite ones, because they tempt people to just post what their fave is and call it a day)

AnimeUSA said:
It rivals other mangas

It rivals a good deal of every other pokemon story media. Including that of the anime (whose story is mainly Ash being in filler eps) and games (whose story is mainly lots of pokemon battles). Even with the weaker storyline in DP, pokespe was still pretty good.

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
I'm only at the start of Gold and Silver, to be honest I have a lot other things on my never-ending list of things I want to do that are more important (like getting caught up in Subbed Naruto Shippuden), but I'll get back to PA sooner or later

Toxicitys

Hero Of Time
I bought one volume, and i'm definatly going to get all 7 soon!
I just need to buy other things atm, but, it's brilliant, and it has a good feel to it! :D

K-Obsessed

Aspiring Trainer
Waaay back when Pokemon was new and these first came out is when I read them. I reallly enjoyed them but only read probably like 3 issues. Then after a long gap I picked up an issue of the Yellow one and was totally confused by the events that took place and what not. It looks really cool and now that there's actually graphic novel (I think that's the right name?) forms of them, I think I should buy them all.

I was just wondering though, are the English versions all complete? I ask this because it feels like this manga has been going on for a long time and I think the Red/Blue adventures only takes of 3 volumes? Nothing is skipped right?

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
RBY took 7 volumes, they released some a While back but are re-releasing them in english and are midway through GSC arc.

also the graphic novels are called Manga

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
Graphic novel is just a fancy term for comic.

Manga is just the Japanese way of calling it, just as how I presume every language has its own way of referring to the medium (I think the French call it bande dessinee or something).

K-Obsessed

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so I went ahead and ordered the first 3 volumes. I noticed that there was a volume one for the I think daimond/pearl adventures? Is that a whole different series that doesn't tie in with this one?

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
K-Obsessed said:
Ok so I went ahead and ordered the first 3 volumes. I noticed that there was a volume one for the I think daimond/pearl adventures? Is that a whole different series that doesn't tie in with this one?

lol what are you ordering, the "first" volume of pokespe DP is vol 30:

aKh1.jpg

Emperor_Gaius

Formerly mlouden03
I think he means pokespe 12 3 as in rby, but he Also probably saw the Diamond and pearl adventures NON poke special

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Viz botched up Adventures ever since Volume 4. I was so hoping they would stick true to non-censored Adventures.
Honestly, with all the censorship they've been doing lately, pretty sure they're gonna lose more of the older fanbase and rely on the very little-to-non-existant younger fanbase. Thus putting Adventures in a hole yet again. They just don't get it do they? Wake up and smell the coffee Viz, Pokemon's fanbase doesn't consist of just children anymore.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Green's Pokeball breasts for one...
Another being the fact that in volume 11, they edited out Crystal's mother slapping her.

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
mlouden03 said:
I actually only see VIZ so..what's censored?

Ignorance is bliss, you don't have to bother yourself :rolleyes:

I on the other hand, have never seen VIZ's handiwork (my reading material is either online scanlations or hard copies by Chuang Yi) so... ignorance is bliss for me too I guess

Starblade

Something
I still call the girl Blue >_>

Other than that, I'd have to say I like the PokeSpe manga far more than the anime. Red's epic battle against Giovanni was one to remember.

The R/S arc started off pretty boring but quickly picked up after the first 10 chapters or so. I just didnt like what Ruby pulled at the end of the arc.

GSC was pretty enjoyable.

Are there any websites where I can read the HGSS arc? It isn't on Mangareader yet and I cant seem to find it anywhere =/