Finished Pokebeach's Philosophy Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

corn bread

Food item
Edit: Game is cancelled and replaced by a debate club in the Member Clubs Forum!

Our goal:The freedom to express one's thoughts.

Welcome one and Welcome all to Pokebeach's first philosophy tournament!

In this event sixteen members will compete in a single-elimination tournament that pits their minds against each other.

How it works:
In the first two rounds of the tournament two competitors will be given a question and a side to defend. The competitors will then have to argue for the side they are given. This will happen in this format:
A--->B--->C--->D
a)Competitors are given their debate question and sides. They have 7 days to create an argument for their side. Once a competitor has finished their argument they must PM it to me, and I will post both arguments simultaneously at the end of the 7 days.

b)Competitors will then have 5 more days to read their opponent's argument and to type up a response to their opponents claims.

c)After those 5 days, 3 more days will be held for votes. In those 3 days anyone(other than the two competitors of course) can place their vote in-thread for the debater that they believe put on the stronger argument.

d)After the voting process the winner will be announced and the next question and sides will be revealed for the next competitors. The cycle repeats.

In the final round of the tournament the two finalist will have three weeks to obtain, read, and write a literary analysis on a text(which will be announced later). Then people will vote on who made the better analysis.

All questions can be can be answered simply with your mind.

Sign-ups:
1.)Celever
2.)Keeper of Night
3.)Lugia123
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
11.)
12.)
13.)
14.)
15.)
16.)corn bread

Definitely in, but just thinking, 7 days is forever lol. I would say 5 max. 7 days in the actual debating part would be fun though.

Keeper of Night said:
Will all the topics be similar (like, all pokemon related) or different and random?
The topics are based more on general questions, in order to minimize the necessity of research.

I currently have no questions based around videogames.

If anyone has a question they would like to submit feel free to PM it to me and we will discuss putting it in the competition.

Not in because debates aren't really my thing, but this sounds cool and I plan on following along. Good luck and have fun to everyone involved. :)

So here's a quick idea.

I thought about changing the structure of this thread from a tournament style competition to a simpler club, where two people could debate questions in a civilized manner at will. The format of the arguments and votes would remain the same, but the tournament would be eliminated and all wins would be superficial.

Thoughts?

corn bread said:
So here's a quick idea.

I thought about changing the structure of this thread from a tournament style competition to a simpler club, where two people could debate questions in a civilized manner at will. The format of the arguments and votes would remain the same, but the tournament would be eliminated and all wins would be superficial.

Thoughts?

I think that it's better as a tournament because it means people don't get to chose the topic. However it is a good idea. 70-30 in favour of keeping the tournament style.

If you want to cancel the game and start a "Debate Club" in the Member Clubs Forum, please create a new thread in that forum and let me know to remove this one! :)

Drohn took the words out of my mouth. :p There would be nothing wrong with a Debate Club sort of thing, but it wouldn't be fitting to be in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back