PokeBeach's Official 5th Gen Ban List

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
RE: PokeBeach's Official Ban List

SH49er said:
Why is Blaziken banned?
Speed Boost, plus two very strong STABS in Flare Blitz and Hi Jump Kick. Extremely difficult to take down.
Blaziken got banned not long after Gen 5 competitive play started, actually. It was one of the first to go, and it went right away.

Chillarmy

El problemo?

I wonder how Blaziken would fare in the current meta... so many things resist his STABs and he's weak to all hazards, not to mention Rain being dominant and Sand Rushers threatening him if he can't get enough boosts... I'd like to see at least a retest.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Rain has always been dominant, so that's a weak argument.

Nothing's changed since Blaziken's ban. Keldeo, Stoutland, and Sandslash are kinda shaky checks since none of them can switch in, two of them rely on weather, Keldeo@scarf is outrun after two boosts, and all three of them are destroyed by Wobbuffet.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past

What would be more viable is allow people to run Blaze Blaziken. It's not OU material, but it would function in UU with all that hail.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

That would require a ban on Speed Boost, which won't happen because Speed Boost in itself isn't broken.

Professor Palutena

The Queen

And banning just Speed Boost on Blaziken is far too complex of a ban that makes it difficult for newer players to understand. Plus artificially banning parts of a Pokemon to make it balanced sets a nasty precedent ("oh, we banned speed boost on blaziken. Let's ban Hurricane on Tornadus-T and allow it back in OU as well").

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past

Well, maybe... After all, I guess there is a number of Pokemon whose secondary abilities are useless. I just thought of something, that's all.

bacon

!!!!!

I propose a ban on all things that begin with the letter D

- Drizzle
- Drought
- Deoxys
- Dugtrio
etc

AdrianD

Competitive Trainer

Pride said:
Banned Pokemon:

Kyurem-W

Shaymin-S

Tornadus-T

Why are these pokemon are banned but not the other forms also why is Soul Dew banned I dont get that its just a status booster.

Sorry if I am reviving a dead thread

J

Juliacoolo

All of those are banned on other forums. Our ban list is consistent with that of Standard OU.

As for Soul dew, it /would/ be uber due to it doubling special attack, but I believe it's unobtainable in B/W which is why it's banned indefinitely.

Uralya

*ponders everything*

I don't see why Soul Dew is banned here because it isn't banned on Smogon. It's only banned from being a held item on Latios and Latias. Basically, this means that anything but them can hold it legally (Ditto even) - also, it is obtainable in BW2 by catching the Dreamyard Lati@s.

We ought to have it just banned on Lati@s.

@AdrianD
Kyurem-W is banned because it has access to the strongest Draco Meteor in the game along with amazing coverage moves. Shaymin-S was unanimously voted Uber over two years ago for being the flincher it is - nearly unstoppable and amazingly annoying. Tornadus-T was banned early this year due its amazing durability. We follow sites like Smogon with their ban lists.

~AoH

AdrianD

Competitive Trainer

AoH said:
I don't see why Soul Dew is banned here because it isn't banned on Smogon. It's only banned from being a held item on Latios and Latias. Basically, this means that anything but them can hold it legally (Ditto even) - also, it is obtainable in BW2 by catching the Dreamyard Lati@s.

We ought to have it just banned on Lati@s.

@AdrianD
Kyurem-W is banned because it has access to the strongest Draco Meteor in the game along with amazing coverage moves. Shaymin-S was unanimously voted Uber over two years ago for being the flincher it is - nearly unstoppable and amazingly annoying. Tornadus-T was banned early this year due its amazing durability. We follow sites like Smogon with their ban lists.

~AoH

I thought Soul Dew can only be used on Latios and Latias

Why not just follow Nintendo bans instead of creating individual forum bans. Opening it up like that should make trainers think about how to counter pokemon regardless of their strength or ability. I personally want to see Trick Room banned but I have to adapt in order to proceed to a World stage. I dont like it but thats how it goes

One Approved

;
Advanced Member

^Yes and no.

You can make any pokemon hold any item you want, but only Latias and Latios will actually gain the effect intended from Soul Dew. No other pokemon will (not even Ditto.) Which is why Soul Dew is only banned on Latias and Latios - because it would be a completely useless item while equipped to anybody else.

Uralya

*ponders everything*

Yes, it only has an actual effect when held by Latios and Latias - thus, it was banned from being held by those two. Any other Pokémon can legally hold it even if it has no effect while being held by that Pokémon.

~AoH

Edit: Worst ninja ever, TPO3. Literally less than a minute.

J

Juliacoolo

@AdrianD

There is a substantial community of people who play VGC, which is Nintendo's official set of rules like you mentioned. This format is very restricted, however.

Standard OU aims to replicate the standard DS battle conditions as best possible. The OU ban list is supposed to help balance the metagame by excluding members that would over-centralize it.

AdrianD

Competitive Trainer

Can you explain how its very restrictive? I am familiar with the clauses and the pokes that are banned are all Legends except Chatot (which doesnt make much sense to me). It seems to my IMO that forum rules and more strict then Nintendos

One Approved

;
Advanced Member

MineWizar said:
What about Mew? He's just like Mewtwo...

Mew is significantly less powerful than mewtwo. Mew boasts base 100 in all of its stats. Mewtwo on the other hand, boasts a massive base 130 Speed stat and an even more massive base 154 Special Attack stat, meaning it can reach 394 Speed and 447 Special attack, while Mew can only reach 328 in each. Thus, Mewtwo is significantly more powerful.

@ArianD: Nintendo's format is much more restrictive in the fact that they have a different ban list. Pokemon like Jirachi, Celebi, and Mew are all usually banned in nintendo's format while they are not in standard OU.

J

Juliacoolo

Mew is a sad case. Its attacking stats are below that of the average sweeper. It also has horrible defensive typing which makes Mew struggle in an OU utility position.