PokeBeach’s October 2018 PTCGO Tournament, Sponsored by TCGplayer.com!

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
We've never mentioned how we work, but JGB and myself run the tournaments on an alternating basis due to the sheer amount of work that goes into running just one event. Once one ends the next is just starting up, but the end of game play isn't the end of the work. There's a lot of PMs, a lot of communicating with other staff, and a lot of emailing between us and our sponsor TCGplayer for coordinating prizes.

Also: I never did introduce myself, did I? An introduction seemed like it would come across as vain. JGB and I were discussing last week that we both sort of showed up one day and you never saw PMJ again without knowing who we were or what was going on.
While I am a private person I guess there's no harm in telling you a little about myself and my relationship with Pokemon

• I've loved the Pokemon franchise since I was introduced to it in 1999. My friend would let me borrow his Gameboy and cartridges so I could play Red, Blue, and then Yellow once he had beaten them. I had heard about the TCG on television before, but it was hard to find people to play with. Circumstances in life kept me from playing as much as I had wanted to
  • One day after gym class I was showing a friend who also played some of my cards. This other kid behind us, for reasons unknown, pulled a Jigglypuff that I was showing my friend right out of my hand. He then ripped it up into about a dozen pieces and threw it into my face. What I did to him after that got the game banned from my school. I refer to this as 'The Jigglypuff Incident'
  • I became a league leader in 2008 and then took over my league later that year. I became a Pokemon Professor and Tournament Organizer in 2010 and 2011 respectively. Back then those were mutually exclusive roles. While I did go out and play in other events and occasionally judge, I invested most of my skills into growing my league and helping players improve. I used to run non-premier tournaments that would pull in 30 players, which was really unheard of then. I was a good promoter and organizer!
  • In 2012 while at Toy Fair in NYC I met some TPCi representatives. In our conversations they were very pleased to hear about all the activities I was doing back at home with my league and tournaments. They proposed making me a PTO and wanted to have me sign an NDA to make everything official, but I declined the offer. I had too many things going on in my life that would cause conflicts
  • Some of the best players in our state and country first learned to play the game from me at my league. I continued to train them until I exhausted all that I could teach them. I don't think it's important who you learn things from -it's the quality of what you're learning that's important.
  • I had actually began giving up on Pokemon in 2013 after the venue I ran the league from shut down and my life got far more complicated than I ever would have expected. Sometime after that I packed my bags, moved to dumpy apartment in a big city and worked as a career medic in the cities EMS system. I didn't get back into Pokemon until the beginning of this year. There was a hole in my heart that other people could recognize when the topic came up. When I got back into the game, PokeBeach was the first place I came to. This is where I spent a lot of my time discussing the games and making friends. Now I get to give back to something that gave to me.
Anyway, enough of the biography. Go play!
Round 3

Last edited:

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
Round 3: @JGB146 won 2-0 over @theprp30

Sorry for the sucky draws, man. I wanted to win, but not like that :(

Shikageru

Aspiring Trainer
Round 3:
@Shikageru wins 2-1 versus @PokemonProGX

Tough mirror matchup. Consider what I said about those spicy techs. They really do throw a wrench in people's plans. But otherwise, good games, and good luck moving forward, tournament or otherwise!