XY Pokémon X / Y: Tips & Tricks!

NoDice said:
Axell Starr said:
I wouldn't suggest using it. I did some poking around and all the things I read on the application it uses to work properly said it's either possible to contain a virus, has known to have viruses in the past, or questionable. I asked my fiancé to be (he's an IT guy) and he advised me not to use it since it doesn't look worth the risk.

Ive downloaded the program on two laptops (my own and another since mine was missing Firewall data and cant produce a hotspot) and on mine I have ran malware removers and virus checks and nothing has been found(in my attempt to get my Firewall working again). Also, the website of Pokemon players that uses the program vigorously now doesnt seem to have anything that I can tell that points to anything malicious.

I know my methods are a bit methodical- o_0 - but I think having a decent method to hatching for shinies or ANYTHING makes things MUCH easier than just relying on dumb luck randomly.

...Do you...happen to know of some source that says it's clean? It's not that I don't believe you, I just like to do my own research to reassure myself. Like I said, nearly everything I found said it was bugged or was a bug. Reading something that says otherwise would help comfort my worry.

Soooo... I'm special... and not very tech savvy... so pardon my stupid question...

So basically that Pokechecker thing. It just checks the egg right? It doesn't manipulate the odds or anything. It just gives you the chance to check if its shiny and has decent IVs right? You still need to collect a bunch of eggs and examine them right?

And it works by trading it to someone? Anyone or a specific person?

Cause that whole thread made my brain sad like Patrick Star...and I got very confused.

edit: okay I think I sort of get it after some research. You trade the egg to someone whose shiny value matches right? If thats the case thats phenomenal... downside I see is the pokemon won't have your Trainer ID and people could keep but when others are helping out I dont see why you need to steal...

Axell Starr said:
NoDice said:
Ive downloaded the program on two laptops (my own and another since mine was missing Firewall data and cant produce a hotspot) and on mine I have ran malware removers and virus checks and nothing has been found(in my attempt to get my Firewall working again). Also, the website of Pokemon players that uses the program vigorously now doesnt seem to have anything that I can tell that points to anything malicious.

I know my methods are a bit methodical- o_0 - but I think having a decent method to hatching for shinies or ANYTHING makes things MUCH easier than just relying on dumb luck randomly.

...Do you...happen to know of some source that says it's clean? It's not that I don't believe you, I just like to do my own research to reassure myself. Like I said, nearly everything I found said it was bugged or was a bug. Reading something that says otherwise would help comfort my worry.
I dont have anything unfortunately, but you can check the forums where the download is and simply ask if anyone has had problems. A quick skim shows that one person did get a blue screen error, but it easily could have been their PC wasnt suited to handle the program- the designers of it are most likely the same ones that made RNG reporter, and the programs are very resource intensive. Im curious to see what you have been seeing that says its a virus?
MrSquarepants said:
Soooo... I'm special... and not very tech savvy... so pardon my stupid question...

So basically that Pokechecker thing. It just checks the egg right? It doesn't manipulate the odds or anything. It just gives you the chance to check if its shiny and has decent IVs right? You still need to collect a bunch of eggs and examine them right?

And it works by trading it to someone? Anyone or a specific person?

Cause that whole thread made my brain sad like Patrick Star...and I got very confused.

edit: okay I think I sort of get it after some research. You trade the egg to someone whose shiny value matches right? If thats the case thats phenomenal... downside I see is the pokemon won't have your Trainer ID and people could keep but when others are helping out I dont see why you need to steal...

Basically, you start the program (once properly set up), start the hot spot, start Pokecheck, start a trade with someone (or yourself if you have 2 copies of XY and 2 3DS's) and then once the trade is started you hit "START SCAN". Once you hit this it may take a minute initially but both trainers information will begin showing up on your computer once each of you puts a Pokemon up for "show". It tells you all the information you need such as shiny value of Pokemon already hatched or eggs, along with IVs, EVs, moves, Trainer ID, Trainer Secret ID, and Trainer shiny Value. Its really an amazing program for how simple it is.

NoDice said:
Axell Starr said:
I dont have anything unfortunately, but you can check the forums where the download is and simply ask if anyone has had problems. A quick skim shows that one person did get a blue screen error, but it easily could have been their PC wasnt suited to handle the program- the designers of it are most likely the same ones that made RNG reporter, and the programs are very resource intensive. Im curious to see what you have been seeing that says its a virus?

I decided to search up the name of the add on application for for Instacheck, varying from just the name to "Info about X", "Is X safe to use?", "History about X.". Much of what i found said it's something used by some IT people when they do checkups and repairs in house and on occasion forget to uninstall it, and that if you haven't had anyone take a look at your computer it probably was a tag-along on some 3rd party software and and contains bugs. Apparently (from what I read. I spent a few hours reading before my eyes started to strain.) it seems than many people seemed to have gotten some nasty bugs from it being DLed without their knowledge along side 3rd party stuff. Others found it impossible to uninstall, regardless what method. Similar to that virus that was attached to daemon tools a while back. I do find it weird that I had trouble finding any information on it for this year. For 2012 and earlier, I had no issue with finding stuff about it.

Axell Starr said:
NoDice said:

I decided to search up the name of the add on application for for Instacheck, varying from just the name to "Info about X", "Is X safe to use?", "History about X.". Much of what i found said it's something used by some IT people when they do checkups and repairs in house and on occasion forget to uninstall it, and that if you haven't had anyone take a look at your computer it probably was a tag-along on some 3rd party software and and contains bugs. Apparently (from what I read. I spent a few hours reading before my eyes started to strain.) it seems than many people seemed to have gotten some nasty bugs from it being DLed without their knowledge along side 3rd party stuff. Others found it impossible to uninstall, regardless what method. Similar to that virus that was attached to daemon tools a while back. I do find it weird that I had trouble finding any information on it for this year. For 2012 and earlier, I had no issue with finding stuff about it.

Thats very... interesting to say the least. Im no computer expert, but I think the program itself allows certain applications to run through your computer that it normally wouldnt allow (with Windows). Which would be why it needs to be installed for instacheck. However, its also possible that when the 3rd party software(s) were downloaded it was included as a tag along to allow the viruses that were with the software to work? Im not sure, though. It could possibly, down the road, allow stuff to seep in, but I think having a working anti virus/malware program will prevent MOST if not all of it. Before you download it make sure you have a WORKING Windows Firewall. If its not working properly, the Instacheck program wont run at all because for some god-forsaken reason Microsoft tied internet connection sharing (which is how IC works- by using your laptop as a wireless hotspot to scan the information appearing on your computer).

Speed Spreadsheet for Prospective VGC Players

I also posted this on a few other sites, but here it is, if you've seen it elsewhere, wonderful!

I took some time to set up a spreadsheet, it consists of every pokemon useable in the VGC (evolutions and single stage pokemon only, can edit at request). With the following calculations:
Level 50
Base + 31 Speed IV
Neutral Nature + 252 Speed EV
Positive Nature +252 Speed EV
Sorted from fastest to slowest.

I know this is probably already easy to figure out for some people, but for others, such as beginners (like myself) it's a great tool to figure out where which pokemon stands in the race.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5TV8PK64MNCXzg5QV9Tb3Z0N3c/edit?usp=sharing

Any questions/comments would be wonderful and I'll gladly take requests for additions or edits.

Thanks!

NoDice said:
Im not sure, though. It could possibly, down the road, allow stuff to seep in, but I think having a working anti virus/malware program will prevent MOST if not all of it. Before you download it make sure you have a WORKING Windows Firewall. If its not working properly, the Instacheck program wont run at all because for some god-forsaken reason Microsoft tied internet connection sharing (which is how IC works- by using your laptop as a wireless hotspot to scan the information appearing on your computer).

Yeah...I'm waiting until I remember to DL and install 8.1. I have 8 currently and there's a lot of little issues. Like my power options files are missing and such. I am on the fence about the program, but still intend to give it a try sometime in the future...only because it seems so darn useful.

If you're fishing for Heart Scales you only get Heart Scales using the Thief attack on the opposite gender, if you use Thief on the same gender as your pokemon you will not get a Heart Scale.

PokeChimpo said:
If you're fishing for Heart Scales you only get Heart Scales using the Thief attack on the opposite gender, if you use Thief on the same gender as your pokemon you will not get a Heart Scale.

Is that right now...? Interesting... Sounds like that would be more for Covet but I have used it to steal from same gender pokemon. Sometimes. It all depended if the luvdisc had the scale on them (they only have a 50% of holding it...) or if I was dumb and forgot to unequip it...

And here's a tip from me to hunt a shiny Klefki! Magnet pull works wonder to turn a horde of Klefki from being rare to more common! Be sure to take a Pokémon with False Swipe, Paralysis, Swagger, etc (anything that won't damage or KO the Pokémon and give you a good indication where your shiny is in that horde) And of course make sure you have plenty of Pokeballs to catch it with.

Magneton is a great choice for Magnet pull and it's right next door! In the Lost Hotel, use a Pokémon with Trace to see if has the ability Magnet Pull otherwise you get Sturdy and wonder why you get so many Foongus and Murkrow. While it does increase the chance of Klefki appearing you can still be really unlucky and get a shiny Murkrow or Foongus...

This is also good for hunting a shiny Honedge in Route 6 as well.

I managed to see my shiny Klefki within 500 horde encounters. Or 250 since this number is by using two systems at once... but if were to count the amount of Pokémon then that would be around 1,250+... still, fairly quick as I have seen folks take their counts as high as 20k...

98Greener said:
You can do all sorts of tricks with your Roller Blades!

- If you hold the B button right before you start going, you'll get a speed boost!
- While you have the speed boost, if you hop off a ledge, you can do a backflip!
- You can do a 360 if you rotate the Circle Pad really fast!

While that is true, you have to speak to some roller skaters around Lumiouse city.
There are three to learn and one in a hotel in another city.

PokeChimpo said:

Huh. That's weird. I was able to steal Heart Scales using Thief regardless of gender of the wild Luvdisc in my game.

I too successfully "Thief" Heart Scales regardless of gender match-ups. Some Luvdiscs don't have the item, and some do. That's really all there is to it.

I didnt know this until recently, but the move Sweet Scent will summon Pokemon hoards. That's a big time saver ,since I had been spending hours encountering Combee repeatedly to use Theif and get Honey before. It makes EV training really fast and easy when you combine a hoard, a power item, and Pokerus. Sorry if this is obvious for most, this is for people who are still using theif to get honey like I was.

I completely forgot to mention using Sweet Scent for horde encounters! And I was using it to hunt shiny klefki. Shame on me... but yeah it is very efficient for EV training too... I fully trained my shiny Florges within minutes thanks to Dazzling gleam, Power Lens and Pokerus. Whereas using super training took 45 minutes..

Dracaufeu said:
how does dazzling gleam play into it?

A field attack, so a move that hits multiple enemies. stuff like dazzling gleam and earthquake are perfect for hoard ev training since u can defeat all 5 enemies with 1 attack.

Back