XY Pokémon X / Y: A Review

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon X/Y: A Review

Hello, friends. PMJ here with a review for the newly released Pokemon X and Pokemon Y for the Nintendo 3DS. Gamers have been waiting for this game ever since it was announced in February 2013. With a leap to 3D graphics, a whole new region to explore, and new Pokemon to befriend, Nintendo was confident that this would be the game that Pokemon fans have been waiting for. Did it live up to its hype?

The following review contains major plot spoilers.

Story/Characters - 2/10

Pokemon has never been big on weaving a grand tale. The focus of each of the main series games, since day one, has literally been the same thing:

1) Acquire badges
2) Encounter villains
3) Defeat villains
4) Become champion

The best reason I can think of for this plan is that Pokemon's audience is constantly being renewed. The games are directed (mostly) at young children, so Pokemon can get away with having almost no story.

Or can it? The Pokemon trainers who started their journey when Pokemon first came out are all young adults; many of them are well into their twenties, even thirties. It's clear that Pokemon is trying to make previously hidden stats more accessible, which many young children could not care less about. The entire reason the Fairy type exists at all is because of the dominance of dragons in competitive play; likewise, the reason Steel no longer resists Dark and Ghost can be attributed to the competitive fanbase, which consists largely of adult players. Breeding has become easier than ever. All of these prove that Pokemon is, in part, catering to its adult players. They know we exist and are doing something to keep us interested.

So why, then, can't we get a decent story to go with our adventure? For all of this game's hype, this game utterly fails in the story department. Six generations in, Pokemon is still delivering the bog standard game. Like it or not, Pokemon is an RPG, and to see such a popular game all but ignore one of the best aspects of a genre--again--is sad. Black and White did decently in this area--certainly better than any other installment--but this game seems to step backwards in that regard. It's like they raised the bar, then crashed into it rather than surpassing it.

The characters in this game are largely forgettable. Lysandre's ambitions are completely ridiculous, even for Pokemon game villain standards. About 75% of the way through the game, Lysandre calls you and casually drops that he's the leader of Team Flare and oh, by the way, he's going to destroy the world. This is supposed to be a huge reveal, since Lysandre is lauded by Professor Sycamore for being such a great guy, and all throughout the game he's pretty cool to you. He is obsessed with beauty yet sports an out-of-control bright orange hairdo and a goatee. His scientists all have what I like to call Saturn Syndrome, or "get introduced far too late in the story to mean anything to anyone, and don't give the player a reason to want to defeat you other than the fact that they're part of the villain team" syndrome. Team Flare has so many higher-ups that it's hard to keep track of them all, let alone remember their names. Forget the tacky outfits, I just want to remember their names and assign them correctly to each person. Even gamers who haven't played Final Fantasy 7 know who Sephiroth is. Why? Because he's a memorable villain. He did things, huge things, to make the player want to defeat him. What does Team Flare do other than be a general nuisance? Nothing.

It was also painfully obvious that Diantha was the Champion. She had all the hallmarks of a Pokemon League champion: a name, no back story, met only once or twice throughout the game before the end; yep, she's the Champion, all right. BORING. If you're going to hide the identity of the Champion, then don't make it painfully obvious who it is from the very beginning.

And how could I forget your character's friends? Tierno may as well not exist. He does nothing for you or the story. Ditto for Trevor, who was cursed to be his tag-along partner. They don't even provide comic relief. Tierno is serious about his goals but we know nothing about how he goes about achieving them, or if he's even successful. The little girl whose name I can't remember is really no better, although at least she hangs out with you for a couple story elements. The only one who has any sort of real relationship with the player character is Calem. He's a good rival, and the only character I found myself caring about other than Serena in this game.

Graphics - 8/10

This was the game's largest selling point and a good source of hype for the eight months we had to wait for this game. The move to the Nintendo 3DS meant three-dimensional graphics, and it was a welcome change for sure. The Kalos region looks quite impressive; towns are lively, the colors are bright, and the people are numerous and unique.

That said, while the game looks stellar rendered in 3D, the actual 3D was restricted to Single Battles and a few maps. It's a shame it isn't used more often; I don't feel like these games are really pushing the 3DS to its limits. Go big or go home, right?

Sound: 10/10

The music in this game is nothing short of wonderful. Each track is like joy in my ears; I love playing with headphones in. I have heard mixed feelings about the soundtracks for the important battles in this game. I rather like all of them. Diantha's theme is a remix of Iris's theme from Black 2 and White 2, but it still sounds great.

Gameplay: 6/10

Great music and great graphics are all well and good, but what good are they if the game is rubbish? Pokemon X and Y are surprisingly lacking in things to do if you're not trying to progress the main story. The main draw is the new Pokemon-Amie, where you can play mini-games with your Pokemon in order to gain beneficial effects in battle, such as boosted experience, the ability to evade some attacks, and even survive a fatal attack with 1 HP. The higher your Pokemon's affection stat in Pokemon-Amie, the higher chances these effects will occur, and that brings me to one of the biggest gripes I have about this game:

It's too easy.

As bacon put it, "There is no difficulty." The new Mega Evolution mechanic makes battles hugely easy, especially if you use the Mega Lucario that is given to you as part of the main story. And because of the change to how Exp. Share works, I don't even have to switch my team around to raise them because Exp. Share will do it for me. I feel like the game is trying to get me to get done as fast as I can so I can take advantage of all the fun things Kalos has to offer me once I've completed the main story. A rich, fulfilling postgame is all well and good, but that doesn't mean we have to have our hands held the whole time with the difficulty setting to Beyond Easy.

Pokemon X and Y also don't have a postgame to speak of. The only things you can do in-game after you've trounced Diantha are the Battle Maison and Battle Safari. The whole game is a weak setup for an even weaker payoff. I hardly feel motivated to continue playing this game because, with only 70 Pokemon to capture, I feel like I can just wait for Pokemon Bank and then mass-transfer my Pokedex from Unova in order to fill the pages up.

Overall: 26/40

For all its hype, I feel this game did not deliver, but in all fairness, flagship games in a generation usually don't. They introduce many new things, but they leave the really fun stuff out for the third game. This generation, the third game will no doubt focus on Zygarde, and I feel that it will give us everything that X and Y are lacking; a [better] story, a [higher] difficulty, and, dare I say it, more Pokemon? Diancie, Volcanion, and Hoopa have been proven to be in the game's code, but they're nowhere to be found in X or Y...

If you haven't gotten this game yet, then wait for Z. I have faith that it will be leaps and bounds better than what these games have brought to the table.

tl;dr Wait for Z.

RE: Pokemon X / Y: A Review

I'm just starting to play the game but I already feel the same... And I've always thought third versions are better than the first pair too. Yet, I bought both games (mainly to get the version exclusive stuff)... I just didn't want to wait until Z to try the new gen...

It is just as I said in the Disappointments thread, the game really is too easy. I really love the new Exp. Share but not at the cost of the game being ridiculously simple. I thought that because of the Exp. Share, the game's difficulty would be ten-fold, especially since the first gym leader wasn't a pushover. Also, the fact that they raised the level of gyms made me believe that it would be harder... but that certainly wasn't the case.

You shouldn't have left out or rather explained more on the other game features which are likeable about the game..

Super Training, Amie, PSS. Trainer Customization were all very welcome additions which made the game more enjoyable.. I personally believe 26/40 is too low for it, I'd give it a 33-35/40 just because this game gave me my faith back for Wi-Fi play.

You also forgot the Looker Missions and legendary birds as some sort of post-game for the game.

Addendum:

- The PSS is one of the best inventions in Pokemon history, it needs to stay in every game from this point forward. It makes trading and battling with your friends super easy - as it should be.
- Super Training is decent if you're too lazy to go out and kill some pokes. As far as I know it doesn't get affected by pkrs or macho/power things so it might just be a waste of time in the long haul (ignore this if it is affected by EV modifiers in which case super training is the best thing ever
- Trainer customization is a welcome addition, it's about friggin time but having it is like being promised twenty bucks but given five instead

Re: Looker missions, there are only five of them, as soon as they're done, they're done, and they don't take hours and hours to do.

Also if you consider chasing the birds around Kalos literally a dozen times some kind of postgame, then, well... my hat's off to you

Thank you, PMJ, for confirming what I already knew to be true about the game. At least you, unlike so many others I have met, are deadly honest about how subpar the game is. (No, I am not referring to people here. I'm referring to people I've met elsewhere, primarily.)

Black and White did decently in this area--certainly better than any other installment--but this game seems to step backwards in that regard. It's like they raised the bar, then crashed into it rather than surpassing it.
They did that in BW2, as well.

tl;dr Wait for Z.
We can only hope that Z won't be a colossal failure. It's a shame, because Zygarde is my 2nd favorite Kalos Pokemon. (That honestly isn't saying much - the number of Kalos Pokemon I actually like is a grand total of 2, Talonflame being the other.)

- The PSS is one of the best inventions in Pokemon history, it needs to stay in every game from this point forward. It makes trading and battling with your friends super easy - as it should be.
Is that the thing that lets you connect with your friends on the 3DS Friend List?
...the thing that I'll never use because I don't use the 3DS Friend List?

Yep! That's the one! ^o^ It's great because you can connect with your friends from anywhere in Kalos; on the street, in a building, in a cave, standing right in front of Diantha...it's pretty cool.

PMJ said:
Yep! That's the one! ^o^ It's great because you can connect with your friends from anywhere in Kalos; on the street, in a building, in a cave, standing right in front of Diantha...it's pretty cool.

You forgot to mention you can contact Passersby - in the immediate area or on a global scale - and use the GTS, Random Matchup, and some other stuff. :p

Anyone else hoping for that key system they did for b/w 2 to return to Z?
Y'know, how you could give a challenge key to one player, and the game would get more challenging.
It could solve the problem of the game being 'too easy.'

The only thing I have a problem with in this review:

Your analysis of the post-game. Post-game changes with different circumstances. In your position, just wait until December 27th for PokeBank because you finished BW2, and got all the pokemon and bla bla bla bla.

In my position, I still have hours of gameplay left, because I'm inspired to catch all the the pokemon available in Kalos, BECAUSE I cannot mass-transfer my pokemon from Black and White 2, as all I will get from it is Oshawott and Lillipup (speaking of which, I really should get onto playing BW2... And my LeafGreen game...)

EDIT: Not to mention the people without Black/White2 in general.

PMJ said:
- Super Training is decent if you're too lazy to go out and kill some pokes. As far as I know it doesn't get affected by pkrs or macho/power things so it might just be a waste of time in the long haul (ignore this if it is affected by EV modifiers in which case super training is the best thing ever
Super Training is not affected by EV modifiers, but even so, I believe it to be superior to previous methods. Once you unlock Level 3 training and get some x2 Punching Bags, you can get 252 EVs in surprisingly few sessions. The high score system makes you want to keep playing, and the EV distribution chart is a very helpful addition. Overall I think that Super Training (or something similar) should be a permanent addition to future games.

I also love love love the PPS. But Pokemon-Amie... I'm sure it's great but I actually haven't touched it. 140 hours and not a second has been on it lol. I guess I should check it out.

mega safariblade said:
I also love love love the PPS. But Pokemon-Amie... I'm sure it's great but I actually haven't touched it. 140 hours and not a second has been on it lol. I guess I should check it out.

Some of the many helpful additions to a team using Pokemon-Amie:

- Boosted XP, at least 1/2 of the XP extra, combine that with traded pokemon and its double the XP
- Extra little dialogue to battles
- More chance of a Crit. Hit
- A chance of surviving a One-Hit KO, to prove the Pokemon's worth to you
- And obviously, pokemon like Riolu, Buneary and Eevee evolving through affection and happiness

I agree with most of this review, except for one thing: The Exp. Share is optional. You don't have to use it and the game doesn't have to be easy because of it. I turned it off as soon as I got it, and while the game wasn't near Gen III's E4 levels of frustrating, it was still mildly challenging.

Oh, and the battle musics for gym leaders and the E4 were awful xP They threw out the powerful and memorable melodies and replaced them with techno beats. What is this, Battle Revolution? Ggguh.

I think XY can be summed up as:

1) The best competitively orientated game yet.

2) The weakest story orientated game yet.

Ironically, I'm having more fun with the post-game. Yes there isn't much to do, but with easy access to good IVs, breeding, good items and more, it's easier than ever to make competitive teams. And that's what Pokemon is all about for me.

XY has a plot, but I wish it didn't. If you have no plot, then sure that's a shame, but at least nothing is getting in between you and catching Pokemon. If you have a bad plot on the other hand, then you're forced to read through tons of exposition you don't care about and listen to the woes of characters you can't even remember the names of. It's not as if Team Flare is even as enjoyably stupid as Team Aqua, because Lysandre takes himself way too seriously. Team Flare's goal is to annihilate everyone who isn't a part of their group. Christ.

I guess I'm just happy to no longer be wading through a plotline that would embarass a Sonic fanfiction.

This would honestly be a 9/10 for any competitive player tbh.. Even a dumbass breeder like me can get 5IVs so fast it's not even funny.

Besides, who plays a Pokemon game mainly for the plot anyway? if you wanted plot in a game, go play the Persona series

Riskbreakers said:
This would honestly be a 9/10 for any competitive player tbh.. Even a dumbass breeder like me can get 5IVs so fast it's not even funny.

Besides, who plays a Pokemon game mainly for the plot anyway? if you wanted plot in a game, go play the Persona series

Well, if you force to go through that sh't, you could at least try to make it worthwhile. Nobody plays it mainly for the plot, but I'm being asked to play the plot and I'm paying for it, so I expect at least not a drop in quality.

And it's not even a 9/10 for competitive players. There are some decent changes, but it hardly changes the meta. Fairies are, as expected, no dragon killers. You get hardly a handful of new competitivable Pokémon.
Weather got a decent nerf, but that was bound to happen, since weather teams could get ridiculously op in a splitsecond. Hazards got a slight nerf, which was due for a long time now.
The part about IV breeding is true, but considering that nearly every serious competition is done on a sim, one could not care less for the IVs in-game.

To the OP:

I just can say /signed. I wrote down my own opinion about the game in the "Dissappointments & Possible Improvements" thread. It does bring some fresh wind, but it sure is not worth the money. 20 Bucks more and one would have Skyrim's price on it's release day.
It sure as hell isn't 30+/40 either. You don't even get to a decent amount of hours in your first runthrough. I took my time and I was done after 24 hours, a friend of mine who "rushed" through the game was done after 18 hours. If one substract the huge amount of annoying Pokémon popping out from everywhere, one could get to 15 hours.
For a 45€ game, it is a huge rip off.

I pray that GameFreak will read some of the player's reviews and not just the selling chart, but I think my prayers will be left unanswered.

These games definitely are a step back from B/W ( and even B2/W2) concerning plot and overall difficulty. This game will probably be somewhat difficult for people who use level caps, but otherwise these games are extremely easy.

I also think PMJ made a statement that is very true for the Pokemon main series; ''For all its hype, I feel this game did not deliver, but in all fairness, flagship games in a generation usually don't. They introduce many new things, but they leave the really fun stuff out for the third game.'' This is so true on every level. Game Freak should really add more features to the flagship games, or at least make them feel more complete. Making a more complex and engaging plot with actual character development, adding more intriguing side-plots for the weaker legendaries, and making the evil faction(s), gym leaders, league, important trainers, etc. way more threatening for the flagship games would definitely help to uplift the status of the Pokemon franchise as a whole. Pokemon has so much potential for becoming a glorious example of a great (and lengthy) RPG and it increases with every gen, but I have never felt they actually really tried to tap into that potential (especially not in flagship games, besides the plot of B/W to a certain extent).

Speaking about competitive battling, this generation is a true blessing! Finally easy IV's and less tedious EV training. Even tough the metagame may not change as much as people had hoped, these games amazing accessibility to competitive battling really makes up for that. People may finally stop using those simulators and actually battle in the games again. Also weather got nerfed and that was the most problematic part of gen 5 for me, so I'm happy anyway.

Also these games are great for people who prefer to play in the lower tiers, lots of new toys to play with. There is a serious lack of OU material, but a lot of the new Pokemon have nice gimmicks and are fun to use.

You can tell that the game is too easy when your two-levels-weaker-than-any-of-her-Pokemon Dunsparce solos the Fairy gym leader's team without a single potion.

If I'm going to be completely honest, this is a bad review. You never explained why you thought the story was a disappointment or even went into detail about the story. You didn't touch upon some of the redeeming aspects of the story like the history of Kalos and the war, the ultimate weapon, or one of the most important characters in the game: AZ. To be frank, you're not really reviewing the game, you're pretty much just ranting about how bad you think some of the characters are and then talk about the other aspects of the game very briefly to try to make this look like the review.

Back