Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon General Discussion Thread

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Pokemon-Super-Mystery-Dungeon.jpg

This is a thread discussing the recently released 3DS game; Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. Become a Pokemon and befriend all currently released Pokemon; all 720 of them!

Please SPOILER ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING RELATED TO THE GAME. This is for the everyone who does not have the game who doesn't have the game currently and want to be able to play the game blind, and to those who have not reached the end of the game and do not want anything to be spoiled. (Use Spoiler tags; tag them appropriately and there should be no problem.)

Feel free to casually discuss this game with friends. Need help with a rescue? Go over to the Wi-Fi Zone and someone will be glad to help you!

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Connections Thread

Last edited:
I'm really excited to try this game! Sadly, we've got a few more months to wait for the PAL release. :<

For those of you who have played it so far, what are your thoughts? I know a lot of PMD fans were kind of disappointed with Gate to Infinity compared to earlier PMD games. Is this one an overall improvement? What things do you like? What things could be better? I'm interested to hear what you think. :D

I'm really excited to try this game! Sadly, we've got a few more months to wait for the PAL release. :<

For those of you who have played it so far, what are your thoughts? I know a lot of PMD fans were kind of disappointed with Gate to Infinity compared to earlier PMD games. Is this one an overall improvement? What things do you like? What things could be better? I'm interested to hear what you think. :D
I don't have the game yet (why are they waiting to release the PAL game? ;~;), but I do have a Japanese friend who has beaten it and they've told me about it. They say that the plot returns to more like PMD: Explorers which is I think something we're all really pleased to hear. They also said that the difficulty has been ramped up since GTI too, to the point of them getting stuck on the 4th boss; I'd take this with a grain of salt, since @Keeper of Night was talking about it on Skype yesterday and was still complaining about how easy it is after being way past the 4th boss, so it seems like maybe some starters are much more powerful than others.

Some of the new gameplay elements I know of are (off the top of my head) wands, which are stackable orbs sort of like the pebbles in previous games. Some of these, such as sleep wands, appear totally broken. Also, you can use wands in boss rooms, which if you have something like a panic wand means that the boss might never deal damage to you. All of your Pokemon constantly level up when they're on the backburner, which means that you could be overleveled, though this also allows you to have lots of good variety. It definitely looks as though the new gameplay elements further decrease the difficulty from GTI, so this might not be the best game for people looking for a real challenge, but if you want a good plot, then it looks like PMD: SMD could be worth picking up.

Last edited:

I imported it and so far the NPCs and town Pokémon have very distinct personalities. Some even have random accents, like Hippopotas!
BTW, in case you don't already know, you can recruit all 720 Pokémon in this game.

The game does have its issues, such as:
- Never go into a dungeon without Reviver Seeds
- You can't just switch places with your team mates by walking into them (you push them instead, which makes your belly go down really fast)
- Prepare to be 30+ levels below all Pokémon you fight
- Belly goes down faster than in other games, but compared to the level curve, that's much more minor
- All of your Connected Pokémon share your EXP, even if they're not with you
- All of the Pokémon you're Connected with need the Move re-learner, as they don't learn moves when you're grinding (unless they're with you)
- No scarves or bands, so you can't rely on them to suppress hunger or prevent you from being poisoned ect...
- Most TMs you find are one-use only, though, there are very rare ones you can use multiple times
- Post-game is bare bones

They also said that the difficulty has been ramped up since GTI too, to the point of them getting stuck on the 4th boss; I'd take this with a grain of salt, since @Keeper of Night was talking about it on Skype yesterday and was still complaining about how easy it is after being way past the 4th boss, so it seems like maybe some starters are much more powerful than others.
Maybe. I started Charmander which has Flame Burst and Dragon Rage. Flame Burst did eventually pass Dragon Rage in terms of damage, but 'Rage was really good in some of the first dungeons. Mostly though, it ended up being a way to get through the early bosses (3 and 4 mostly) that resisted Flame Burst.

Some of the new gameplay elements I know of are (off the top of my head) wands, which are stackable orbs sort of like the pebbles in previous games. Some of these, such as sleep wands, appear totally broken. Also, you can use wands in boss rooms, which if you have something like a panic wand means that the boss might never deal damage to you. All of your Pokemon constantly level up when they're on the backburner, which means that you could be overleveled, though this also allows you to have lots of good variety. It definitely looks as though the new gameplay elements further decrease the difficulty from GTI, so this might not be the best game for people looking for a real challenge, but if you want a good plot, then it looks like PMD: SMD could be worth picking up.
Wands are ridiculous, and both them and Orbs seem to be usable in Boss rooms (so far anyway). Haven't come across a Panic Wand or anything of the sort, but having instant Sleep and Confusion is enough. Actually, my favorite is the Truant Wand, which changes the target's ability to Truant. Can't remember if there was anything similar in previous games.
The first portion of the game immediately gives you two level 50+ pokemon for your team, and plenty 25+ while your starting Pokemon are still 10+. You don't get them for a majority of the boss battles or bigger story portions I've seen so far, but it's still overkill.
There's also these fancy doohickeys called Looplets which can have various effects among themselves, but are made to be fitted with "Emeras" which add effects themselves, such as adding more attack power, higher crit chances, status immunities... Allowing moves to hit multiple times, being able to see items and Pokemon on the floor... My favorite, the Bulldozer, makes moves do way too much damage to Pokemon that would normally resist them.

BTW, in case you don't already know, you can recruit all 720 Pokémon in this game.
That was supposed to be the major selling point, so we're just missing Volcanion.

The game does have its issues, such as:
- Never go into a dungeon without Reviver Seeds
"Tiny Revive Seeds" are about as common as Heal Seeds in previous games, which revive you without restoring PP and hunger.

- You can't just switch places with your team mates by walking into them (you push them instead, which makes your belly go down really fast)
Holding B and walking into your team members allows you to switch places with them. Not holding B is what causes you to push them.

- Prepare to be 30+ levels below all Pokémon you fight
???

- Belly goes down faster than in other games, but compared to the level curve, that's much more minor
Haven't noticed this, but I guess if you're trying to push everybody around instead of passing them, then it would make it seem that way.

- All of your Connected Pokémon share your EXP, even if they're not with you
- All of the Pokémon you're Connected with need the Move re-learner, as they don't learn moves when you're grinding (unless they're with you)
The move re-learner being free and infinite makes this so easy though.

- No scarves or bands, so you can't rely on them to suppress hunger or prevent you from being poisoned ect...
Replaced by Looplets, which are essentially basic scarves that only get better as you progress through a dungeon.

Last edited:

It's a thing...

Haven't noticed this, but I guess if you're trying to push everybody around instead of passing them, then it would make it seem that way.

No, it definitely goes down faster. In Explorers, your belly would last between 5-10 floors, while in this game it lasts 2-4.

The move re-learner being free and infinite makes this so easy though.

Still makes it a chore.

Replaced by Looplets, which are essentially basic scarves that only get better as you progress through a dungeon.

Except that you either have to get lucky, or have a lot of money. At least scarves bare relatively common. Oh and as far as I'm aware, you can't get any Looplets that suppress hunger.

It's a thing...
I can't tell what the levels of a boss are, but 30 levels behind seems a bit extreme. They aren't exactly difficult.

Still makes it a chore.
Okay...? Not liking to do it doesn't mean it isn't really easy to do.

Except that you either have to get lucky, or have a lot of money. At least scarves bare relatively common. Oh and as far as I'm aware, you can't get any Looplets that suppress hunger.
Looplets arguably have better and multiple effects than any scarves. As for hunger, Apples aren't exactly uncommon. I rather be immune to weather and then fill that Looplet with Emeras that increase strength and prevent other effects than have a scarf that only suppress hunger.

Overall, the added items make the game a lot easier. Wands and Looplets/Emeras are all bonuses that I don't think we needed, and maybe if they weren't used the game would be a lot more difficult. But they're very prominent as far as I can tell, and there isn't really a reason not to use them, and in an effort to balance the difficulty I think they just made it a bit too easy.

Hey, just noticed something...
Anyone else recognise a bit of this from Serene Village?

Anyway, the thing that really kills the game for me is that everyone shares an EXP bar.

PSA if you buy something from a Kecleon dungeon shop and have not paid for it yet, DO NOT use a tunneling wand to leave the room before paying for the items, the game will think you're trying to steal from the shop for no reason and next thing you know you have a 500 + HP Kecleon hunting you down with more goons following you and spawning every 3 turns.

I only survived the above because I had quite a few blast and reviver seeds on me allowing to spam them while the shop keeper was confused. BTW Kecleon shop keepers can now be effected with status conditions with stuff like blinker seeds which are the only reason I beat it, also that one Pure seed I accidentally stole really helped.

I have one spoiler free tip for everyone still going through the game FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS STOCK UP ON REVIVER SEEDS! The post game dungeons are pretty hard to the point where I basically didn't play the dungeons so much as cheaped out on them and spammed guiding wands (they locate the stairs) and tunneling wands just to finish them. *Note I am a veteran of PMD 1-2-2.5 that knows the true value of throwing objects in those games and was basically a near god in them with max IQ Swampert + tight belt* (swampert had an ability that allowed you to move through walls and break them but removed 1 point of belly for each wall block remove and tight belt prevented you from losing belly points naturally*

Spoilered as it's a long list.
Here is a list of the things you should stock up on as they are not as common later on in the game:
Reviver seeds *post game you'll be lucky to find 2 per 15 floor dungeon* Post game dungeons can have you easily go through 5 of them in one go.
apples *post game dungeons do not believe in providing you with food to the point where you're lucky if you can*

Elixir *see apples*

Warp Wands these are super helpful for when you have a boss that's getting too close to you so you wave it and oh, look sniping time! : D They are uncommon in post game dungeons, but monster houses post game are ridiculous and teleporting away 2-3 in a crowd for one turn does NOT hurt.

Silver spikes, Iron Spikes, wooden spikes, anything stick or rock like that you can throw and deal damage with. Rocks do about 20 damage and can go over walls and be lobbed by your party if you register them in the bag. Spikes have a really good rage, (note I don't know the exact number of tiles but it's shorter than other PMD games) and deal a solid 40+ damage to whoever they hit. If you get these early game HOLD ONTO THEM FOR THE FINAL BOSS, then spam them you will know when that is when you get there.

Blast seeds, originally a fun early game gimmick in PMD 1-2 that dealt about 20-30 damage if you ate or threw them now deal 75 damage if you throw them at an opponent or 100 damage if you eat them, like spikes save them for the final boss and bosses in general. BUY THESE WHENEVER YOU CAN.

Petrify orbs, these are pretty rare at any point in the game, but basically trivialize monster houses, they immobilize every enemy pokemon in the room until you damage them, it's sort of like facing an army and pressing the pause button on each opponent until you already are kicking them on the ground. BUY THESE WHEN YOU CAN. I cannot say this enough post game monster houses are horrible and even then if you use the petrify orb you will still likely take some damage while you're trying to kill some of the opponents.

QUICK ORBS, Dodge all orbs, and another orb that gives your entire team a big boost. Half way through the game bosses become immune to status conditions minus the traunt wand (that helps a lot as well) to the point where if you use something like say a blinker seed on them you will have wasted a turn because the effect lasts for 0-1 turn and then they heal it off like it was never there. This is a new mechanic to the game that I do like as it makes bosses harder to beat. The only thing you can do against bosses half way through the game on is spam blast seeds and damaging throwables at them and boost your party like you're prepairing your buffs for a boss in an MMO.

The best part of the game is a one off line that I don't think should be spoilered as it's not relevant to the plot but, I guess it's a spoiler for a joke?
When the Pokemon class is being taught about evolution the teacher says "and you may notice...." *teacher gets interrupted and you never hear the ending of that line*.....then I realized evolution is......Pokemon puberty, my feelings can only be described in the following image X M theory, the theoretical number that is higher than infinity.
the goggles they do nothing 1.jpg

Also the following contains no spoilers asides from what you'll feel in the game.

On a scale of 1-Angel Beats *abbreviated "AB"* (insert crying image here) The game pretty much goes like this chronologically 1-1-6-3-4*end game as of the following number* 8 *post game* 6-7-5

Can't understand that reference to an awesome anime? Ok then, without discussing the plot it is not as sad as PMD 1-2 but it is pretty sad and I actually cried, however if they release a second edition of the game (LIKE THEY SHOULD) I would not cry, unlike PMD2 where I cried when I completed Explorers of Sky when it came out, ages after I finished Explorers of Darkness despite me knowing what was going to happen. The feels are real in this game though they are NOT as bad as the previous games. *note I never played Gates of Infinity as I didn't have the money and I heard that it sucked a lot by the time I remotely had the money*

Is it just me or I see this game less challenging..
I still remember during the PMD Red Rescue, I had to ask my big bro help to complete the 99FloorDungeon(Celebi) and most of time using Escape Orb for other tough dungeon once I got what I want.

Nowdays, its seem to simple. As much as I like the stronger but less level dungeon.. the Connection Mechanic isn't to thrilling.
I played the game just around 2 weeks (not playing all the time only occasionally) and I'm already more then halfway connected. Which is like a bundle of connection after getting my partner back. It's like an overflow atm

Back