Pokemon Pokémon Red, White, and Blue - Peta Strikes Back

professorlight

Ice Queen
RE: Pokemon Red, White, and Blue - Peta Strikes Back

TrainerSivan said:
Sheriff_K said:
Pokemon is pretty much glorified dog fighting.

Except in the world of Pokemon, the Pokemon are willing participants who you treat as partners rather than something you own. In Pokemon world culture, battling is a way to bring your hearts closer to both people AND the monsters who you dedicate your life to. There is a huge emphasis on maintaining friendships with Pokemon and to never force them to do anything against their will. People who do so are seen as bad and you must defeat them in order to help the Pokemon.

Exactly, think of it like you have a friend. Kinda dumb, the guy, but strong and resilient as f*** and with a heart of pure 24 carat gold. You love your friend, but he doesn't get along with people, so you get him into boxing. He likes fighting, makes him feel good, and you feel good he feels good, plus, you and him make money to eat and get fabulous outfits.

So, Pokemon is exactly like rocky, from paulie's perspective.
Without the fabulous outfits, of course.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

TrainerSivan said:
Eh, I wouldn't want MY work to be associated with a large organization that openly states that eating meat is equal to the Holocaust and pays large amounts of money to a recognized terrorist organization (ALF) that has been known to kill people and firebomb science facilities. But that's just me.

My name isn't associated with PETA, and neither is my work, really. It's just some symbols and that's it. Enough to think it's cool a large organization (however sketch) used it, but not enough to warrant any action.

Naked Snake

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I remember a while back, PETA attacked Nintendo saying that Mario glorified hunting and skinning defenseless animals... somehow.

I emailed them something a while ago, although I can't remember what. I know it wasn't a very happy letter; I was mad at them for some reason. Now they send me free stickers :D

WitherSnow

I have no pokemon and i must scream.

Everybody getting their panties in a wad over a parody is hilarious. Also GF can't sew them cause it's a parody. (Parodies fall under free use.)

Reggie McGigas

-

WitherSnow said:
Everybody getting their panties in a wad over a parody is hilarious. Also GF can't sew them cause it's a parody. (Parodies fall under free use.)

They can't sew them but they can sue them for copyright infringement. This is barely a parody, more like an attack on nintendo and mcdonalds.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant

WitherSnow said:

If GF feel that this 'parody' is negatively affecting them as a company, then they can sue. They can also, like Reggie McGigas said, sue them for copyright infringement; I highly doubt that GF would ever give their consent for this sick game to be made.

And it's not like PETA can actually say that this game was for 'education purposes', when it clearly isn't.
It has none of the moral values in a real Pokemon game - not least the whole Pokemon are our friends! part of the series.

And PETA can try to fall on to their 'it's a free use parody!' lifeboat, but it is clearly a blatant attack on Pokemon.

professorlight

Ice Queen

P.DelSlayer said:
WitherSnow said:

If GF feel that this 'parody' is negatively affecting them as a company, then they can sue. They can also, like Reggie McGigas said, sue them for copyright infringement; I highly doubt that GF would ever give their consent for this sick game to be made.

And it's not like PETA can actually say that this game was for 'education purposes', when it clearly isn't.
It has none of the moral values in a real Pokemon game - not least the whole Pokemon are our friends! part of the series.

And PETA can try to fall on to their 'it's a free use parody!' lifeboat, but it is clearly a blatant attack on Pokemon.

I don't know if it can be qualified as an "attack" on pokemon... sleazy? yes. disgusting? of course. hateful? you bet. they are certainly promoting misinformation, but it doesn't seem... oh, what the hell, it's PETA we are talking about! burn them to the ground, GF.

It's actually funny, since, by peta's logic (pokemon = real animals) then pokemon not only is not about abusing animals, but it's quite the opposite: about treating pokemon (animals) with respect and care, since they are your friends, what they claim to be their own message.

The pokemon franchise might even be the most famous advocate of animal rights in history... so by saying pokemon is bad because children will treat animals as they treat pokemon in the games they are, essentially, kicking their own argument in the shins, burning it to the ground and pissing in its ashes. It's so person it's almost a work of art.
Of course, this is all assuming they actually believe the BS they spout, and it's not just a calculated move to cause controversy and buzz.

Sheriff_K

Eevee Breeder

professorlight said:
So, Pokemon is exactly like Rocky, from Paulie's perspective.

Why not Mickey, since you train them?

professorlight

Ice Queen

Sheriff_K said:
professorlight said:
So, Pokemon is exactly like Rocky, from Paulie's perspective.

Why not Mickey, since you train them?

Why not apollo creed then? it's from paulie's perspective because paulie is rocky's friend and your pokemon are your friends. That question is one that peta would ask. Paulie takes care of rocky more than mickey and apollo creed, and he does benefit from rocky's success.

Liraxus

Aspiring Trainer

I'd suspect PETA would attempt another uneducated move here, they probably just saw Pokémon X and Y and yelled "THEY'RE MAKING ANOTHER GAME THAT'S BAD FOR KIDS STOP STOP STOP."

That's basically PETA's way of thinking, they always aim to get kids to think that its bad to harm animals, yeah, animal abuse is a thing, but it's called survival, we gotta eat meat, if they think the entire world can eat nothing but Tofu, think again.. they also use sex appeal to get grown men to join in, and the celebrities they endorse recordedly wear animal fur. They're a joke with unstable grounds that needs to quit existing, I seriously hope Nintendo finally does something here so they can strike PETA with a nailed bat.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant

Liraxus said:
I'd suspect PETA would attempt another uneducated move here, they probably just saw Pokémon X and Y and yelled "THEY'RE MAKING ANOTHER GAME THAT'S BAD FOR KIDS STOP STOP STOP."

That's basically PETA's way of thinking, they always aim to get kids to think that its bad to harm animals, yeah, animal abuse is a thing, but it's called survival, we gotta eat meat, if they think the entire world can eat nothing but Tofu, think again.. they also use sex appeal to get grown men to join in, and the celebrities they endorse recordedly wear animal fur. They're a joke with unstable grounds that needs to quit existing, I seriously hope Nintendo finally does something here so they can strike PETA with a nailed bat.

The funny thing is, X and Y have like the next-to-no Pokemon abuse.
Its the opposite... for the first time in the series, we can directly play, feed and interact with Pokemon to deepen the connections.

they don't understand the series as a whole... In the anime, Ash makes sure all of his Pokemon are all ok, takes care of them when they're hurt etc, they also reprimand people like Paul for mistreating his Pokemon.
Pokemon can even leave their trainers if they feel they don't like them in the anime... Snivy is widely speculated to have had a less-than-average previous trainer.

And I think its in B/W that someone says 'just because you capture a Pokemon, doesn't mean you capture its heart' - it's not as tho because a Pokemon has been trained by someone and captured that they immediately become this slave that can't think for itself at all...

PETA are kinda hypocritical themselves... They're all about saving animals, letting them have free lives blahdiblah.
who is it that kills around 90% of the animals in their care each year?