Ruling Pokémon EX & Mega Pokémon Question and Coin Flip For Overkill Damage?

grantm1999

VileGar
These might be kind of dumb questions but I wanted to be sure for worlds so as not to get unnecessary penalties.

Q1: Can I run more than four total of a basic and its mega? For example a 3-2 line of M Venusaur EX? I am inclined to believe yes because the "M" changes the name but I'm not sure.

Q2: When dealing damage with an attack that has a base damage and a flipping effect for extra damage, do I need to flip for the extra damage if the target would be knocked out anyway from the base damage? I'm not sure how much this makes sense but it would save a decent amount of time if you could just skip to the knockout.

I was not sure if I should include scans because these are rather general questions.

RE: Megas and "overkill" questions

Venusaur EX and M Venusaur EX are differently named, so yes you can have 4 of both.

About your second question, you technically should for formalities, and there are rare situations where it would somehow make a difference. But for the most part, you don't technically need to if it's guaranteed a KO either way. That being said, it only takes a second to flip a coin so if your opponent or the judge feels you should anyway then make sure you do.

Back