Pokemon Pokémon Design Analyses: DUNSPARCE

professorlight

Ice Queen
We all here love pokemon, right? (If you don't, I think you might be in the wrong place). One of the best things of pokemon are the pokemon designs; I think we can agree on that, right? (If you don't, again, wrong place) but people often don't understand the designs, at all.
Over the years, we've been hearing a lot of "boo hoo, worst designs ever", , "what the hell is that supposed to be?" and the ubiquitous "those are not pokemon, first gen it's where it's at". And, as we know, people who don't understand something automatically think it's bad.
Well, no more. This thread can be a place to analyze, ask questions, get answers and understand pokemon designs.

So, with that out of the way, some required readings:
-The origins of pokemon red/blue
-design in gen V
-More gen V, this time here
-X and Y design process
Examples of good analysis:
-gen I
-gen II
-gen III
-gen IV
-gen V
Examples of bad analysis:
-someone doesn't like inanimate objets pokemon, apparently.
-dimwit thinks he's really smart and edgy.
I feel I should clarify in those cases: those are bad analysis because there is not much reaserch or thought involved it them, nor any amount of critical thinking, just hate and "personal opinions". Personal opinions are perfectly fine, you can certainly not like many, maaaany pokemon, but there is a difference between disliking and "this is crap because I don't like it". A bad design feature is that which cannot be explained by anything other than whims, which isn't supported by sensible, logical links, concepts or raw data (please don't mistake "whims" with "creativity").

Some final things: personal opinions (like, hate, etc) are ok, as long as they are supported by something, could be the concept, a design feature, anything that shows some thought put into the why you *insert verb here* that pokemon. And, above all, this thread is for understanding the pokemon, seeing if other people can make sense of something you don't understand, so, a humble mindset is required when asking questions, you must be willing to learn (humble mindset not required when answering, after all, we all like being smartasses every now and then).

You don't need to come out of here liking a specific pokemon, but you do need to come out of here not hating that pokemon, having learned why it is the way it is.

EDIT:

I think there's a misunderstanding here, guys, this is not a favorites thread, or a "X gen was the best" discussion, those get ignonimously dumped in other place, so if that were the intent of the thread, it would go there.

This thread is to dissect the designs we find particularly interesting or ask question about what we don't understand, in case someone can answer them, like how altaria is based on the peng, a chinese mythical creature, or how magikarp and gyarados are based on the carp that jumped over the dragon gate, became a dragon, did bad stuff and was stripped of it's dragon powers.

Lets do this, each week I'll post a pokemon, and people can come and give their (supported and/or well defended) opinions on that pokemon, requests are welcome, but only discuss pokemon other than the one being discussed at the moment if it's to compare or are related in some way (counterparts, evolution, etc).

RE: Pokemon design analyses

Good Idea for a Thread!

Rattata Evolution line: This guy is just yes yes yes, The Classic rodents must be present in a Nintendo game (Chickens in Zelda, Goomba's in Mario)
His design is a great design based on the average rat, that purple colouring makes it seem more of a pest as it gives the viewer the idea that he probably lives somewhere grotty like the sewers, Rattata was a great start for GF, first learning to create a monster based on something we see. Youngster Joey further proves my point, because his Rattata is a Beast, Don't see why he ditched it in X/Y, Raticate is a proper evolution to rattata, He defines evolution, He gains Large Teeth, Becomes a light brown and gets bigger, this shows whats happening over time to rattata, Raticate is the perfect evolution to Rattata. To be Perfectly honest when I first saw Raticate I took a disliking to it, but as I saw it again and again, It grew on me and I saw how Rattata can Evolve into Raticate. Hope he gets a Mega-Evolution next game.

RE: Pokemon design analyses

As far as generations go, I'd probably put Gen 2 as the best with 6 right behind it. For me, its a combination of really cool designs and a lack of really poor ones. Many of my favorite Pokemon come from Johto such as Octillery, Magcargo, Politoed, Ho-oh and Suicune. Generation 6 has, so far, really impressed me. With the exception of Klefki and maybe Espurr and the sword, I like all of the Pokemon I've seen so far. There are many Pokemon that really stand out.

Generation 1 has the nostalgia factor (although, I would say that factors even greater for Gold/Silver even though I started with the original) and I honestly like a lot of the designs here too. However, and maybe its because of the large amount of Pokemon, but many of them are just average for me. There are few that I dont like but many that dont impress me as much as Johto and Kalos Pokemon. Voltorb is my #1 Pokemon and I also really like Execcutor, Starmie, Victreebel, Mew and Venemoth. Generation 3 is in the same boat. I think there are plenty of really great designs, but they are just not quite enough. It might also be a factor that I never played any of the games from that generation :( Ninjask, Crawdunt, Banette and Cacturn are some of my favorites from Gen 3.

Generation 4 and 5 are my least favorites. 5 edges out 4 just slightly because I enjoy a lot of the Pokemon in Unova like Zebstrika, Chandelure, Eelectross and many others. But my goodness, do I really dislike a lot of them from that generation. Sinnoh falls behind mostly because it stands out the least for me. I like Yanmega a lot, but besides a few others, its pretty boring to me.

My bottom 5 Pokemon would probably be:
Keldeo, Volbeat/Illuminise, Lickilicky, Rhyperior and Simisear. There are a lot of Generation 5 Pokemon that I dislike too. I think the ideas where great, but the execution was poor. Obviously this is all my opinion so please dont get upset if I listed your favorite Pokemon. Except if its Keldeo, in which case, I hope you're mad. That thing really pisses me off.

RE: Weekly pokemon design analyses: CHARIZARD

So, in accordance to the thread's new, hopefully more clear purpose, our current subject of study is:

CHARIZARD

You've got one week, people, make good use of it (though, if things get interesting, I might break the rules... we'll see).

As far as Charizard's design, I question the decision of making him so "plump." As a little kid, he always looked funny to me and I used to call him the "chubby lizard." This apparently wasn't a random decision as you can see in the megas, where Charizard Y is much slimmer and ,to me, more appealing. Then there's Charizard X who they've made even more "robust." The fact that his second highest stat is speed makes me wonder why he wasn't streamlined to begin with.

Good Points:
-Fabulous horns.
-Classic fire tail.
-Dat shiny coloring.

Bad Points:
-Generic orange coloring...sorta.
-Too small arms.

I actually never liked Charizard. Not that I disliked it, but the bulky design, stocky legs and short wings gave me a hard time envisioning it moving - and that sort of thing tends to bother me a lot in Pokemon designs. The strong points in the design - the trademark flaming tail, for example - are great, though. The head especially - the horns, the general shape, the eyes...
The Mega Evolutions were what won me over, though. The Y variant has amazingly broad wings, a sleek and streamlined design, and legs that just manage to fit within my suspension of disbelief. And, while X retains the original's design quirks, it looks downright awesome in spite of that. Even the fire leak, which I initially thought was weird, is cool too. As several people have pointed out now, it basically says that Charizard can no longer contain its power.

3355454-4439470650-tumbl.gif

So that's my two cents, I guess.

I forgot to change the pokemon (and this will happen a lot), so a month later, we get a new subject, why don't we go for an easy one?

DUNSPARCE

Dunsparce

Pro's
-Can use an effective trollset in the metagame
-A nice colouring, blue and yellow
-Badass Pink Shiny

Con's
-Bad Typing
-Didn't get retyped to fairy
-Looks short and stubby

I was hoping Dunsparce was going to be fairy, so that kinda sucked.

One thing that's brought up alot is that it is the Land Snake Pokémon.
Yet it looks like it's based on an insect.
(It looks like some kind of earth worm with wings)

I for one love Dunsparce and love its inclusion in Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity!
But it's species name is a 'lil confusing.

Dunsparce:
  • Has a Drill for a tail
  • Often depicted as being a lot smaller than it really is
  • Has its teeth on its chin
  • Has small, yellow wings
  • It's a fat, yellow serpent
  • In Pokémon Channel, there's one that speaks like a valley girl

Back