XY Pokémon Bank: Cloud Storage for Pokémon

Bolt the Cat said:
Drohn said:
It will be great if they would keep using it for future generations as well and maybe even allow transferring back and forth between generations. This would require the same conditions to be used as in generation 1 and 2.

I doubt it'll be usable past 6th gen, especially if it's on a new console. There's constant compatibility issues with a new generation of games and a new generation of handhelds, and Game Freak probably considers all of the restrictions too much of a headache to be worth doing. Not to mention that the new gameplay mechanics that have arisen since make things even worse, most notably abilities. Wanna transfer that Sheer Force Makuhita you have to 4th gen? Too bad, Sheer Force doesn't exist in 4th gen so it can never go to your 4th gen games.

Don't forget it's saved online; all data can easily be put on a new console.

The only restrictions would be to not allow Pokémon and moves/abilities that didn't exist in the older generation. This shouldn't be too difficult for them to manage. They use filters all the time for many different things (battles, transfers, trades).

Drohn said:
Don't forget it's saved online; all data can easily be put on a new console.

I guess that's viable if they plan on closing support for this after 6th gen ends (like how the DW is going down soon).

Drohn said:
The only restrictions would be to not allow Pokémon and moves/abilities that didn't exist in the older generation. This shouldn't be too difficult for them to manage. They use filters all the time for many different things (battles, transfers, trades).

Yeah, but it's not as worth it in the end for the player. A huge chunk of the Pokemon you would obtain in 7th gen would be restricted from going back to 6th. I don't think it would be worth it.

Bolt the Cat said:
Drohn said:

Yeah, but it's not as worth it in the end for the player. A huge chunk of the Pokemon you would obtain in 7th gen would be restricted from going back to 6th. I don't think it would be worth it.

My reason is mainly to be able to use the generation 6 Pokémon in generation 7, but also to be able to transfer them back again to use them in generation 6. And that for all future generations.

On a side note, does this mean we can start new games without having to spend a lot of time trading the Pokémon we don't want to lose to a different game? That would also be great!

I've already said this about three times, but hacked Pokemon aren't allowed to be transferred.
So yay, we'll probably see less hacked 'mons in battles. I also imagine that it'll be harder to hack X/Y now, but that's for a different thread. Maybe.

An annual charge will allow the service to be maintained long-term so it can provide support for future Pokémon titles.

This is from the official site. They could mean new titles in the same generation, but new generations are very possible!

Poké Transporter is a free downloadable application for the Nintendo 3DS system that will be available along with Pokémon Bank. Note that Poké Transporter cannot return Pokémon to Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 after they have been stored in an online Box.
This is also from the official site (I was someone asking about it in an earlier post).

98Greener said:
I've already said this about three times, but hacked Pokemon aren't allowed to be transferred.
So yay, we'll probably see less hacked 'mons in battles. I also imagine that it'll be harder to hack X/Y now, but that's for a different thread. Maybe.
Well I have already been traded hacked Pokemon many many times in White 2, and the same goes for battles. I am not sure how transferring your Pokemon to cloud will be any different, yes they may have made the 3ds harder to hack but what could they possibly do to stop hacked mons coming from the previous games? If they know how to stop it then why didn't they test it before? I have not had a clear answer on this.

I have pre-ordered the new game and have been following its progress since it's announcement, I just cannot wait. BUT, like I said before I have acquired some hacked Pokemon and have seen how it's done, so on day 1 I will be trying to transfer 1 one them to X&Y, if I am successful I will being heading back to the game store with my receipt for a same day refund because the game is broken on it's release.

Drohn said:
An annual charge will allow the service to be maintained long-term so it can provide support for future Pokémon titles.

This is from the official site. They could mean new titles in the same generation, but new generations are very possible!

Poké Transporter is a free downloadable application for the Nintendo 3DS system that will be available along with Pokémon Bank. Note that Poké Transporter cannot return Pokémon to Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, or Pokémon White Version 2 after they have been stored in an online Box.
This is also from the official site (I was someone asking about it in an earlier post).

I don't think "long term" means that it's necessarily cross-generational, it's going to be relatively hard to plan for 7th gen because we don't know what the hardware situation will be like then. Especially if 7th gen is on the next handheld, because then they have to face the same kind of compatibility issues they're facing now. It's certainly going to be useful for 6th gen, but as far as whether or not it will work after that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, from what I understood, you can use this with various copies of the same game, so I presume if we reset our game, we can get back pokémon from the previous save file that we sent to the Bank, right? If it does, I already know what I'm planning to do this gen... (muahahahah)...

I can see the storage being useful in pulling Pokemon out for spin off games and the like. Similar to how you can use your own Pokemon with the mini games in Stadium 2.

I hope we get exclusive Pokémon in the Pokémon Bank -- just like in Pokémon Box: Ruby & Sapphire! And there could be minigames? :3

Dan32 said:
98Greener said:
Well I have already been traded hacked Pokemon many many times in White 2, and the same goes for battles. I am not sure how transferring your Pokemon to cloud will be any different, yes they may have made the 3ds harder to hack but what could they possibly do to stop hacked mons coming from the previous games? If they know how to stop it then why didn't they test it before? I have not had a clear answer on this.

I have pre-ordered the new game and have been following its progress since it's announcement, I just cannot wait. BUT, like I said before I have acquired some hacked Pokemon and have seen how it's done, so on day 1 I will be trying to transfer 1 one them to X&Y, if I am successful I will being heading back to the game store with my receipt for a same day refund because the game is broken on it's release.
They said themselves that the system has a hack check. It will probably run through all the info of your pokemon, checking for any abnormalities, AND THEN submit it to the bank.

Dan32 said:

Except that the apps will only be available on December 27th in Europe (25th in Japan and not sure about the other releases but probably not too far away).
Unless you'd buy the game around that time but you already said you pre-ordered it so... ^^'

GODDAMMIT! Pokémon Bank doesn't allow to store Pokémon with held items... Now my scheme of trading the Kanto starters Mega Stones and restart the game without having to use 2 3DS's is ruined!!

Metalizard said:
GODDAMMIT! Pokémon Bank doesn't allow to store Pokémon with held items... Now my scheme of trading the Kanto starters Mega Stones and restart the game without having to use 2 3DS's is ruined!!

I guess it means you'll need to have 4 games (2 Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise).
I hope you can store Pokémon with HM moves.

Yeah i was shocked when they said you cannot store Pokemon with items.
Then again they have not announced the Australian storage fee which gets me worried , as they are likely to double the price.

Windies said:
Yeah i was shocked when they said you cannot store Pokemon with items.
Then again they have not announced the Australian storage fee which gets me worried , as they are likely to double the price.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's £7.99 here, which is more than double what it is in the US.

Thaaaaaaank god, finally no more complications over trading your older pokemon to your new edition.
I'm pretty sure this will be a feature for future generations too.
They mentioned in one interview that this way even your children and grandchildren will be able to get your Pokémon. And I don't know about you, but I don't have any kids and won't have any in a near future.
That makes me believe that this feature is still going to exist even in a distant future. It would make no sense to just invent it for one generation, I mean you'll have to trade from Gen 6 to Gen 7 too, so why invent the same all over again, when you have it already.

iDrake said:
Thaaaaaaank god, finally no more complications over trading your older pokemon to your new edition.
They mentioned in one interview that this way even your children and grandchildren will be able to get your Pokémon. And I don't know about you, but I don't have any kids and won't have any in a near future.
That makes me believe that this feature is still going to exist even in a distant future. It would make no sense to just invent it for one generation, I mean you'll have to trade from Gen 6 to Gen 7 too, so why invent the same all over again, when you have it already.

The 3DS won't last forever...

Blob55 said:
iDrake said:

The 3DS won't last forever...

It doesn't need to. Any current and future system could feasibly access your cloud boxes if given a way. There's nothing specifically holding it to 3DS, except for maybe some 3DS-specific code in Bank. Nothing a little tweaking couldn't fix.

Back