Writing Pokémon Add On!

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.
sqp8u9.jpg

Pokémon Add On!

A Collaboration in the Writer’s Corner

Ever thought about teaming up with your friends to make an amazing story? After rounds of competitions and discussion questions, we thought it would be nice to play a little writing game I like to call “Pokémon Add On.” Basically, a group of participants are going to be playing a Pokémon-based game that involves taking turns in writing a story. I will start by typing up a 600 word introduction, and then the next person in line will continue with the trend until one full round is up. We will have two rounds, the first consisting of a 600 word count and the second increased to 800. Each participant will have two days to write up his/her chapter.

Basics

Rules: The rules are simple; along with the regular set of rules, I am putting a special emphasis on appropriate content. We need to stay focused and try to stray from creating plot holes. Our content can have humor in it, but limit your usage of puns. Remember that the person after you may be a serious writer, but you’re making it extremely difficult by passing on a page of goofing off. Even so, try not to make many mild references to TV shows or video games. Over my experience with the game, that comes up often. The person behind you may not know what Doctor Who is, for example.

Word Count: Our word count, as stated above, will start at 600 words. In either round, you may write up to 100 words over the maximum as it is near-impossible to format it perfectly on one word. With that said, you cannot go below the word limit. It is not hard to write 600 words in two days. I will put below a Table of Contents for easy access to the chapters. This will allow readers to be able to keep up with the story along with the players themselves. It’s a good idea to read every chapter posted since your turn will come up eventually.

Dates: Sign-ups end on Wednesday, February 26th! If you’d like to participate, please just say so below and I will add you in. The game’s end date is going to be somewhere near March 20th.

Order: I will go first so I can introduce the topic, however I will generate the order of players so that it is completely random. After I post my chapter, the order will continue the story until I post with my 800-word chapter. Then, it will cycle once more so that every participant will get two full turns.

Here is the official order that will begin when I update with the Introduction chapter.
  • Turtwig
  • Wandering Wolf
  • Chaos Jackal
  • Scorched Feathers
  • Keeper of Night

Emergency: In the event that someone forgets to write a chapter, I ([mod]Turtwig[/mod]) will write a substitute chapter of 400 words to provide a transition from one author to the next. If you do not explain why you did not post your chapter, we will assume that you are not playing the game.

Goal: Our new goal is going to be 7,000 words! We can hopefully make that goal. As long as everyone contributes, we're sure to make it!

Remember: This is a game! Try to keep commentary to a limited amount of posts, but feel free to give constructive criticism to the authors above you. No one’s perfect, but you can certainly try. Do not argue about how the story has changed its flow entirely from before. That’s natural. As long as the author is following the rules, anything goes!

Conclusion: As our first game, I really want to impress the forums with an amazing story created by the whole Writer’s Corner. Wouldn’t it be amazing to show our dedication? Not only will we all work together to produce an original creation, but we all get to learn about each other’s styles and how to cope with them when collaborating. Even though this is not a contest, I am looking forward to all entries because I’m counting on you to make this PokeBeach’s best story ever.

If you have any questions, please either ask below or PM me.

Participants
1. Turtwig
2. Scorched Feathers
3. Chaos Jackal
4. Wandering Wolf
5. Keeper of Night

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Sign me up. this was all my idea guise
As long as I can write something about Dread Lord Fletchling, I will be content.
I'll write anyway.

WanderingWolf

Only *insert number here* days to go!
I'm willing to sign up, but I'm with Teal. 10 seems a bit much. I'm okay to sign up, up until 6-8 though.

Questions:
Are all Pokémon (1 to 721) accepted in the story?
Is the Pokémon team going to be decided by all of us, or will a few people just catch the Pokémon in their parts?
Also, hopefully this doesn't go for more than about a month and a half. I'm in Japan in about 6 weeks for 3 weeks, and then I have camp the next week for a week...

Turtwig

Every Pokemon is accepted. It may actually not even be based on a trainer. It could be focused on one Pokemon, or even just a habitat of them. As long as we all keep the story flowing, everyone gets to add a little input. I've done the math and if we get 7 people (my ideal number for this game), it will take one month exactly if all conditions go according to plan.

Turtwig

Hesitant to sign up? Don't be! We're all just as skilled as everyone else--this thread is open to anyone who can play by the rules. Sign-ups continue until this Wednesday at 11 PM EST.

Turtwig

UPDATE: I have added in information about goals and dates if you are interested. I have also posted the order--please look at that! Even though I am getting everything ready, you all still have until tonight to sign up.

Turtwig

Here is the introduction! I have set the stage for the story, however it can be changed in however way you wish. Just make sure that everything makes sense and there are no holes!

Introduction

"I don't care if you have to rub Mr. Zuru's left foot--with his money and support, there is no limit to the political successes I will achieve," the blue-haired politician whispers into the black and seemingly outdated cell phone.

"I will do my best, sir, but it's like negotiating with the devil. If we agree, we may never be safe from him," one of the man's employees replies with a hasty tone in his voice.

"Excellent. Just remember that I, Cyrus, will be elected as the Sinnoh region's prime representative in the multi-region conference. Together, we can finally end this universe and hopefully rewrite the world!"

All that could be heard on the other line was heavy breathing. Cyrus snaps the phone shut, throws it on his mahogany desk, and kicks back in his black office chair. Then, Cyrus picks up his coffee mug and takes a quick sip of the hot, caffeinated liquid. He picks up a pen from the small cup lying to the left of his computer and plays with it. He taps the tip with the pad of his finger and eventually holds it on his face like a mustache. Rubbing it back and forth on his upper lip, Cyrus goes through the papers that are scattered around his room as though a Rotom had gotten in.

"Raaawr," yawns a medium-sized dog that lies on a bed near Cyrus's desk.

Cyrus looks at his precious Houndoom. The Pokemon is simply magnificent: the sleek black fur seems very dark and menacing, though its pure eyes cancel out the effect with a look of happiness. The bone-like structures on its neck and back shine with a small glint. His Pokemon, both fiery orange and deep black, is his pride and joy.

Since he no longer can have a family in such a pathetic world, Cyrus puts more of his time in the lesser-focused things in life. His pet, for example, is the most important Pokemon to him. His work, though, is a close second, and he takes pride in being one of the elite council members of Sinnoh. However, he is in a heated battle--a political battle--with Cynthia in order to represent Sinnoh officially.

Cyrus looks over at the picture frame on his desk; the memories placed on his desk as though they were a plate of food being served. He, his wife, and six-month-old child pose happily in one of those sappy portraits that cost a fortune to purchase. However, it was important to his wife at the time. Cyrus, upon glancing at his past, is reminded of a conversation he had back when he was campaigning in Eterna City. He was visiting the Town Hall and decided to take any questions. There were dozens to be answered, but Cyrus saw one person that stood out: a little boy. The child was still in school, but he was still a pleasure to talk to.

"Why are you wanting to become our leader?" the young, energetic boy had asked.

"I want to make our world a better place. Not just Sinnoh, but the whole Pokemon world. It is my dream to improve society of its...discrepancies with our expectations of life," Cyrus had replied to him.

"Do you stand for something?"

"Loss. Failure. Disappointment."

"What did you lose?"

At this question, Cyrus had cringed. He yelped a short, quiet squeal and swallowed hard. He then told of the day when his family was accidentally killed by a Tyranitar. Cyrus was working as a lawyer at the time, so he was not at home. The Pokemon had, become a danger to his family at once because the trainer, deliriously thinking he would be a Pokemon Master, was training right outside. Well, the Tyranitar's Hyper Beam was aimed straight at Cyrus's house and--"

That conversation took place two years ago on this month. Now, though, he needs the help of that stupid trainer's father if he wants to fix this disgusting world.

Wandering Wolf, you need to submit your ~600 words by this Friday night. Thanks for reading! (Also, future writers, it might be a good idea to remind the next person at the end of your post like I just did).

WanderingWolf

Only *insert number here* days to go!
I... don't even know where to begin? So, since Cyrus is our main character here, I have to follow from his perspective? Ok. He's still in his office, and I have to move the story forward by getting Cyrus to the father. *cracks knuckles*
Actually, I have homework right now. *uncracks knuckles*

-----

Quick Question: Is my deadline you're time? If so, I'll just check you profile to know when I absolutely have to submit it, since I live in Australia.

Turtwig

You can follow his perspective if you want. Yep, he's still in his office, and I've set it up so that he needs help from this mysterious guy in order to win the election.

Due to the time zone difference, you can add almost a day to what I said. In my time, it will be by Friday night, but you can submit by Saturday at noonish since your time zone is that different from mine. If that doesn't work, we'll think of something.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
[rant]Damn, not Cyrus vs Cynthia! These two have to be my favorite characters in all Pokemon games, how am I supposed to write properly?[/rant]

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Chaos Jackal said:
[rant]Damn, not Cyrus vs Cynthia! These two have to be my favorite characters in all Pokemon games, how am I supposed to write properly?[/rant]

This. But I like Cynthia more ;o
Guess what direction the story's gonna go in~
totally not CyrusxCynthia