Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2017 - Beginnermons - All Results Up!

Also, for my card, the way it works:
Ability- Sniper Flight
Just your regular nulling card from items, and you have a limit set to once every three turns, it doesn't break the believability barrier. (On benched Pokémon.)

Peck- (C) -30
This is a regular 1-Energy attack and it's Colorless, relieving you from getting an energy you don't have.
If you can boost it with a Professor Kukui and a Muscle band (before it goes to a bye-bye in expanded) the damage would be
a whopping 70 (on one turn) for 1 Colorless Energy.

Hyper Wing- (L)(C)(C) - 80+
If you can support it with the Kukui and MB, it does a base 1-turn 120 damage, but adding 80 more damage
(That's 200 Damage!) will put down short the HP there (90 damage to itself) and can also support on DCEs.
Plus, you must discard the DCE on it (and any other specials on it.) So it leaves the thing on a guillotine.

Also, the weakness and resistance.
Really, to admit, there is only some of the Pokes left that are based on (L) in Standard,
so it might reign victory unless Jolteon-EX is put into the case.

Fighting types-well, how many are le- Zygarde is one. the first attack he has while setting up will do no damage at all to
this bird of forgotten times.

So this is how the card works.

Stage 2 Magnezone HP 140 Metal

NO. 638 Magnet Area Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 396.8 lbs.

Ability: Magnetic Attraction
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, prevent all effects of your opponents Attacks, Abilities and Trainer cards that switch your Active Pokémon or one of your Benched Pokémon.

[L][C] Static Charge 80
Attach 2 basic [M] Energy from your Discard pile to this Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
Three units generate magnetism. There have been many mistaken reports of UFO sightings when Magnezone flies through the night sky.

I know I probably screwed up the wording at least once, but I did as best as I could for my first one ever.

As this month's theme is Beginnermons, I have chosen to go with the most recognisable mon and the Beginnermon of Pokemon Yellow (which was the very first Pokemon game I ever owned and played)!

Pikachu - Electric - HP60
Basic

Ability: Circumstantial Evolution
If you have both Raichu and Alolan Raichu in your hand, flip a coin. If heads, evolve this Pokémon to Alolan Raichu. If tails, evolve this Pokémon to Raichu.

[L][C] Mascot Mayhem 20+
If the opponent’s active Pokémon is a Basic Pokémon, flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 more damage for each [C] in the opponent’s active Pokémon’s retreat cost.

Weakness: [F] x2 Resistance: [M] -20 Retreat Cost: [C]

It occasionally uses an electric shock to recharge a fellow Pikachu that is in a weakened state.

I have also tried my hand at the rest of the evolution line, just for fun.

Pichu - Electric - HP40
Baby

[C] Baby Spark
Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 10 damage to the opponent’s active Pokémon. If tails, this Pokémon does 10 damage to itself.

[L] Search and Evolve
Search your deck for Pikachu and an [L] energy card, reveal them and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards and evolve this Pokémon.

When Pichu plays with others, it may short out electricity with another Pichu, creating a shower of sparks. In that event, this Pokémon will begin crying, startled by the flash of sparks.

Raichu - Electric - HP100
Stage 1 - Evolves from Pikachu

[L][C] Tail of Thunder 50
Your opponent’s active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

[L][C][C] Psychic Switch 80
If this Pokemon has an [P] energy card attached, switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Alolan Raichu.

If the electrical sacs become excessively charged, Raichu plants its tail in the ground and discharges. Scorched patches of ground will be found near this Pokémon's nest.

Alolan Raichu - Electric/Psychic - HP100

Stage 1 - Evolves from Pikachu

[L][C] Exotic Zap 50

[L][P][C] Psychokinetic Tail Surf 80+
If this Pokémon has any [W] energy attached to it, this attack does 80 more damage to your opponent’s active Pokémon and 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon.

It uses psychokinesis to control electricity. It hops aboard its own tail, using psychic power to lift the tail and move about while riding it.

Pidgeot-GX.jpg

WIP card. I haven't even finalized what I want it to do yet. Been working on this for the last 20 days. Just wanted to show my Hyper Rare so you can at least see it.

Breloom HP 110 Grass Type
Stage 1 Pokémon- Evolves from Shroomish

NO. 286 Mushroom Pokémon HT: 3'11" WT: 86.4 lbs.

Ability: Poison Truffle Scavenger
Once during your turn, before you attack, you may search your deck for a Paras, Shroomish, Foongus or Morelull and show it to your opponent. If you searched for Paras, during your next turn, your Active Pokemon's attacks do 10 more damage. If you searched for Shroomish, you may leave your opponent's Active Pokemon Confused. If you searched for Foongus, you may leave your opponent's Active Pokemon Poisoned. If you searched for Morelull, draw a card. Either way, put the card on the bottom of your deck, and then shuffle your deck.

[G][G] Spore Shot 50
Flip a coin. If heads, and if your opponent's discard pile has any [G] Energy cards in it, discard both Active Pokemon and any cards attached to them.

Weakness: [R] x2 Resistance: [W] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
Breloom's body is covered in mushrooms, making it very aware of the smell of them, its nostrils detecting very small mushrooms that are miles away

Yay, Breloom is cool, he finds mushrooms. Hence the ability. And he needed a cute attack, so boom.
My final submission btw.

On a more serious note, would any EXPERIENCED image fakers being willing to make this into a physical card (as a reverse), and send it as a pdf to me. If so, pm me >.<

[G][G] Spore Shot 50
Flip a coin. If heads, and if your opponent's discard pile has any [G] Energy cards in it, discard both Active Pokemon and any cards attached to them.

I'm just curious, how would this effect resolve if both players only have one pokemon in play? Does "Discarding" an active still allow players to take prizes?

Dropping partially because of schoolwork and because of my own procrastination. Maybe when summer comes around and I have nothing to worry about, I'll be able to put my all into this.

So the deadline for dropping out was supposed to be 22nd of May at 12 PM, however since I didn't post a reminder a decent time before that... the deadline for dropping out is now 23rd of May at 12pm. If you were planning on dropping, don't forget!

Also, a reminder that the deadline for posting your entry is Saturday May 27th! You can find the countdown here.

Pidgeot-GX.jpg

Loyalty

This Ability started as Quick Search for me from the Pidgeot card in Fire Red Leaf Green. I really liked the Ability because you can grab any one card you want but given this meta and how dumb cards are, it would just be broken so rather than just copy-paste the Ability, I decided to go the falconry route of things and make the Ability reference humans. A good sign of trust between a human and a bird is if you can get them to fly back to you, a human so making the Ability fetch a Supporter, which all have human characters as art seemed like the perfect idea and since Supporters have a limited effect pool when compared to the entire card pool, it makes the Quick Search inspired Ability more Pokemon and lore worthy while not breaking the meta since Quick Search would be overpowered now rather than just a Supporter search.

Supersonic Cyclone

I wanted something better than M Pidgeot-EX's Mach Cyclone. It's fine for what it does but not something you can really use in most cases like you can with other Pokemon attacks. So in order to fix this, I just placed Lysandre on the effect. Some may think it's overpowered but I don't think so considering there isn't much a Colorless Pokemon can do in the game. This Pidgeot will never hit for Weakness like other types can so it will always do the same thing regardless of matchup so I wanted something consistent and reliable. This is also why I choose 160 damage for the attack and that is so it could 2HKO any Pokemon, which is a fair trade of considering it can lose a matchup through Weakness badly but can 2HKO every other matchup. The ability to switch any Pokemon you want give Pidgeot-GX some board advantage but considering how common switching effects are now, this effect isn't as broken. If players can have and use cards with permanent locking effect (which is happening still with Noviern-GX), then I can make a Pidgeot with a Lysandre effect on its attack.

Mirror Move GX

Pidgeot is one of the few Pokemon (like Lucario) who have a signature move and that is Mirror Move so I would hate to take that away from it. I really like Pidgeot-EX's Mirror Move and how well it combos with Max Potion so the idea behind Mirror Move GX was just that, a mashup of Max Potion and Mirror Move, but with a twist. Not only does it heal you of all damage and deals the same amount of damage done to you the last turn, it also copies the effects of that attack. So if an attack discarded a Energy on you, you can do the same thing as well. It's not a nuke level attack, which is something I like about it and is purely tactical, something they all should be.

The Art

The art is a picture I drew for another Pidgeot card some years ago and wanted to reuse. I feel the pose and overall scale of the art would have been perfect for a new GX Hyper Rare. It was hard to change up color enough to make it look good and using the many Hyper Art cards as reference was revealing. The rules for them all seem to be completely random. The Hyper Rare cards from Sun and Moon based seem to look the same with some changes with things like Sogaleo-GX but Umbreon-GX looks like they just threw a rainbow gradient on it and called it a day, something I did on my first version of this card. as I examined other Hyper Rare cards like Lycanrock-GX, I noticed that defining features of a Pokemon should have a different color. For example, Pidgeot black eye markings, though the rules are completely subjective. Umbreon-GX's rings are almost white and Pokemon like Sylveon-GX is completely white with almost no rainbow gradient on it so it seems you want to follow rules and then do what's best for the Pokemon species you're doing.

Unlike the preview I showed above, I opted to make Pidgeot's color a range of reds, oranges and yellows as opposed to the more rainbow you saw above. I wanted to do this because I feel it makes the card more Phoenix like with bright sun-like colors and with the pose being very Phoenix like with the wings and body flaring out. I feel this does the card better but I also wanted some hint of foil so I overlapped a lite rainbow gradient to give it that foil look. This was a lot of research and time just on the art.

The Card

Specs of the card are standard. Realistically if Pidgeot got a GX, it would more than likely have 240 HP, because of how trends are going but I'm of the came of doing things right and not accepting anything less. If you had the option to take 50 million dollars or 60 million dollars, you'd take the 60 million every time so I went with the max HP of 250. other things are pretty standard like the x2 Weakness to Lighting and -20 Fighting Resistance and free Retreat Cost - things you expect. I really wanted to make the Weakness +20 because I just don't care for the weakness system because it turns what could be a skill based game into an auto loss or auto win and no one likes that but given I'd just lose points to unbelievably (something that's going to happen anyway), I just decided to keep it like the game is now. I just wanted to make the card as self-contained as possible and since I don't like "filler" that exist to just say it does, I wanted to make the card good and competitive.

Summery

Overall this was fun to work with and just see the inside of how 5 Ban Graphics may have made these cards and given I have other work to work on, I spent more time than I should have on this card but I think it looks good and it well balanced. I just look forward to the day I can use a Pidgeot-GX.

Last edited:
Smeargle Final.jpg

I definitely had artist's block for a long time with this month's submission. But I came up with this! I had plenty of Beginnermons, my favourite of which is Whismur (which is not on this list). I cleared the Elite Four with one that I kept as a basic. Also kept a Lotad as a basic so that it will learn Rain Dance. It's definitely satisfying to stick with those lovable characters all the way to the end. But then Lotad was done already (really beautifully btw) so I had to find an alternative.

And this came in the form of Smeargle. Smeargle never came across as a Beginnermon to me. A really strange move that confused me thoroughly when I first saw it. But it really appeals to me as an artist who is just starting out in card faking and all. So here's my take on this Pokemon.

Back