PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2014 - Stage 2 (Congrats Scorched, rev3rsor, & Zygarde)

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
RE: PokeBeach Create-A-Card: May 2014 - Stage 2

...Are people complaining about results being a few hours late?

That's, like, weeks better than some of the other CaCs.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Yeah, like 3 months ago, when we didn't even had a contest because the results were THAT late...? e.e At least I'm here to stay as long as [smod]Ice Arceus[/smod] allows me, and I hope CMP stays just as long, so another mess about the judges doesn't happen. :D

Wait, so Deadline is half an hour from now? CMP, send those results in... :p

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Amperglyph:
VivillonPromoF2_zps45a3688d.png

Ooh…ahh…you sure know how to earn those Creativity points, Amperglyph! Such a drastic new blank gives you major points in that category. However, as has been pointed out, the same drastic changes that earned you Creativity points does hurt you as far as Believability is concerned. The blank, while beautiful, is certainly all over the place, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m digging the golden Ability symbol, though! Regarding “Negotiations,” there are some errors. To start, the Ability should read something like, “Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. If you do, your turn ends. Choose 1 card type: Pokémon, Trainer, or Energy. Your opponent may search his or her deck for 1 card of the chosen type. If your opponent searches his or her deck, you may do the same. Both players shuffle their decks afterward.” -- (just afterward, not afterwards). Remember to use numbers instead of spelling them out as you have done in both the Ability and attack. Wonder Trade is a fantastic idea for a Vivillon card, and it pairs decently with the Ability. Wording, though, should be, “You may move a basic Energy attached to this Pokemon to 1 of your Benched Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 30 more damage.” Because the blank is so different from the current styles, it’s hard to really determine how many points to take off for fonts, but I feel justified in taking a point off for not justifying the effect text. This has been a staple since the ex-era. There are a few other design decisions that I question (small Pokédex font, including both imperial and metric measurements, the large spaces between lines in the effect text), but I can’t justify taking off any points for those. Overall, though, I’m thrilled with your entry. It’s always good to see a fresh take on the TCG, if a bit out there! I look forward to seeing more of your work in future competitions.

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
(Can anyone argue with this score?)
Wording: 12/15
(Some missteps with both Ability and attack effects, spelling out ‘1’)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(As discussed, a lack of text box justification)
Believability/Playability: 2.5/5
(Beautiful blank, but almost too drastically different)
Total: 43.5/50

anabel1406:

Interesting choice to make a Plasma card on an e-card-esque blank (asche’s Plasma Reach?). I’m a little confused on how to judge, though, since you used an old-style blank mixed with BW wording/fonts/placement…overall it looks decent, but according to rule 2 in image-based, “try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose.” Instead of taking too many points off, though, I’ll just give my opinion on what works/doesn’t. Firstly, the “Evolves from…” text needs to be bold. The BW/XY cards can get away with it not being bold because it’s in its own little box; here, it just doesn’t stand out enough. I’m surprised at how much I like the smaller HP in comparison to the number on this blank actually; it helps make the total number stand out (in a good way). The height/weight is where things get a little tricky…since BW cards use ‘HT’ and ‘WT,’ I’m assuming you knew that e-cards spelled out the names instead. Since you spelled them out, I’m going to take a point off here for using a dash instead of a colon (no card, to the best of my knowledge, has ever used a dash) and for not rounding the weight (as was the norm for WotC-era cards). I do think it would’ve looked better as bold-italic, but that’s just me. The use of the Ability symbol works fine, as e-card is when cards switched to Power/Body symbols. However, instead of starting your Ability with “Each turn,” I would’ve used “Once during your turn (before your attack),”. In the Ability, remember that “basic” should never be capitalized, but “Energy” should (which you missed in both the ability and the attack). Speaking of the attack, the way you worded it seems slightly strange. Unless you’re using Rainbow Energies (or Double Rainbow Energy, which isn’t legal in either the e-card or BW formats) to pay for the [R] costs, you’ll be using basic [R] Energy, so that’s an automatic 20 extra damage. Attacks like that work best when costing [C][C][C] (and making the conditional for each [R] Energy attached). Or, you could make the attack do 10 more damage for each type of basic Energy attached to Infernape. Either way, it seems…awkward right now. Otherwise, W/RC is okay, if a little jarring to see an Infernape without free RC. It does fit in the e-card era, though.

Creativity/Originality: 17/20
(Pretty standard Ability/attack -- nothing really stands out)
Wording: 11/15
(Errors by the Pokédex info, using “Each turn,” in the Ability, basic capitalization, Energy missed capitalization)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Using the BW fonts looks weird with older-style blanks)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(That attack just doesn’t work as well as I’m sure you intended it to)
Total: 39/50

Heavenly Spoon:

x1vUMTv.png

First glance it looks great! I’m a little confused about the faint diagonal lines running through the card, though…trying to make it look like scan lines? Regardless, I like it. Love the Power name (and effect). A fun card, indeed – my knowledge of the TCG isn’t what it once was, but I don’t think we’ve seen a card with that effect before! There’s just one tiny error I see…you forgot to italicize “before your attack” – I’m sure you’ll end up kicking yourself for it. Mind Break is a nice attack, too…starting with a forced discard, the chance to Confuse can help kick your opponent when s/he’s down. Damage output seems fitting for an e-card era Alakazam with that cost and effect. Word checks out across the board. I would probably move the “Illus.” text over slightly, but that’s pretty nitpicky. The e-card ID number shouldn’t be bold, either.

Creativity/Originality: 19.5/20
(You guys know how hard it is to get a perfect score from me here -- for all intents and purposes, a 19.5 is a perfect score)
Wording: 14/15
(Almost perfect, save for the missed italics in the Power effect)
(Bolded ID number and slightly misplaced “Illus.” text)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(I could absolutely see this as a real Alakazam)
Total: 47.5/50

Jeremy1026:

kGcbxsC.png

Ooh – a dual-type card! Those were always a fun mechanic that I wish would make a return someday. However, your dual-type rule would’ve been a little better if you included the specific types it was – even if it’s obvious with the two symbols at the top. The official rule was, “This Pokémon is both [P] and [M] type.” I’d ditch one of the symbols at the top, use a emerged symbol, and clarify what types that specific Pokémon counts as. As for the attacks – a Metagross that Poisons? Interesting…and in a format where another Stage 2 can Poison and do 50 damage for [P][C], I’m not sure if the attack is powerful enough to justify not being able to use it again the following turn. Also, since the effect is the result of an attack, you should also use “Defending Pokémon,” not “your opponent’s Active Pokémon.” You repeat this error in the second attack as well. Psychic Stomp’s choice of words confuses me a bit. Do you mean to discard a Special Energy or all Special Energy cards attached to the Defending Pokémon? With the Energy cost and damage output, I’m going to assume you meant all. Looks like you’re having a bit of font troubles. The Resources Sticky should help you out a lot. Otherwise – the HP and damage output needs to be bolded. Also, remember to line up attack names (Toxic Smash should be moved in line with Psychic Stomp). The attack effect text also looks incorrect. I now I pointed this out to you in the thread, but you need to credit Ken Sugimori for that art – and take your name off of the “Illus.” text while you’re at it. I’m not sure what part of the card you illustrated, but if others can’t tell, time to remove! Overall, though, a nice first entry. I’m sure you’ll show great improvements over time!

Creativity/Originality: 17.5/20
(Pretty standard attacks saved by an interesting dual-type mechanic)
Wording: 13/15
(Either use “a” or “all” when describing a discard, and use “Defending Pokémon” in attack text)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(Check out the Resources thread I linked to above)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Not sure why a Metagross would Poison, nor is the damage/turn skip realistic in the current metagame)
Total: 37.5/50

PMJ & Athena:

9QyupHA.png

Once again, the team of Athena and PMJ prove they work well together. Hats off to Athena’s art, which looks perfect with the Dragon blank (psst…if you want to work on some cards for Neo Redux, I wouldn’t say no…). PMJ holds up his end of the bargain, too, with another great entry. Prize Trap is quite the creative Ability, and one that will definitely deter your opponent from using Special Conditions. It pairs wonderfully with the attack, too, which can cause self-inflicted Confusion. Wording of both seems to be correct. The HP might be a bit high, but we haven’t seen any Flygon cards in the XY-era, so I can’t fault you. The Energy cost, however, might be a little low compared to traditional Flygon cards; for those with a single attack, most usually require two typed Energies and a Colorless, so I would’ve made Outrage’s cost [G][F][C]. Minor gripe. Additionally, I would’ve chosen a shorter Pokédex entry as “as” is much closer to the border than usually seen, and I don’t really see a way around that, unless you make the font a size or two smaller. But again, minor gripe. Something I’ve noticed from the preprint scans is that the attack effects should be centered on the card, so I’d extend the text box of the Ability a few pixels to the right, and line up the attack effect accordingly (it doesn’t look like they’re lined up).

(You guys know how hard it is to get a perfect score from me here -- for all intents and purposes, a 19.5 is a perfect score)
Wording: 15/15
(Even with creative effects, I see no errors)
Fonts and Placement: 9.5/10
(Some minor gripes with the effect text and Pokédex info)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Would’ve liked to have seen Outrage cost [G][F][C])
Total: 48.5/50

Zygarde:

delphoxcoacutepia_zpsa40c0cb0.png

Sweet blank! Cool art! Great choice representing Delphox as Psychic-type – it’s a nice change from the more commonly seen Fire-type. Red Magic is a great name with a cool effect, very fitting for a Delphox. Card Trick is a nice, simple attack, and using Red Magic beforehand could get you pumped for a potential 120 damage – it amuses me thinking about how often you might get excited only to have your hopes crushed when the top card of your deck isn’t also an Energy card. There’s beauty in simplicity here – simple (but effective) effects which make for a really nice card. Well done, Zygarde!

Creativity/Originality: 19/20
(Card Trick is a twist on Synchronize, but with a slightly higher risk/reward)
(Even with interesting effects, I see no errors)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Everything seems to be in place)
(High risk/reward that I’m not sure how many players would actually play)
Total: 48.5/50

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Amperglyph:

Ooh…ahh…you sure know how to earn those Creativity points, Amperglyph! Such a drastic new blank gives you major points in that category. However, as has been pointed out, the same drastic changes that earned you Creativity points does hurt you as far as Believability is concerned. The blank, while beautiful, is certainly all over the place, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m digging the golden Ability symbol, though! Regarding “Negotiations,” there are some errors. To start, the Ability should read something like, “Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. If you do, your turn ends. Choose 1 card type: Pokémon, Trainer, or Energy. Your opponent may search his or her deck for 1 card of the chosen type. If your opponent searches his or her deck, you may do the same. Both players shuffle their decks afterward.” -- (just afterward, not afterwards). Remember to use numbers instead of spelling them out as you have done in both the Ability and attack. Wonder Trade is a fantastic idea for a Vivillon card, and it pairs decently with the Ability. Wording, though, should be, “You may move a basic Energy attached to this Pokemon to 1 of your Benched Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 30 more damage.” Because the blank is so different from the current styles, it’s hard to really determine how many points to take off for fonts, but I feel justified in taking a point off for not justifying the effect text. This has been a staple since the ex-era. There are a few other design decisions that I question (small Pokédex font, including both imperial and metric measurements, the large spaces between lines in the effect text), but I can’t justify taking off any points for those. Overall, though, I’m thrilled with your entry. It’s always good to see a fresh take on the TCG, if a bit out there! I look forward to seeing more of your work in future competitions.

anabel1406:

Interesting choice to make a Plasma card on an e-card-esque blank (asche’s Plasma Reach?). I’m a little confused on how to judge, though, since you used an old-style blank mixed with BW wording/fonts/placement…overall it looks decent, but according to rule 2 in image-based, “try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose.” Instead of taking too many points off, though, I’ll just give my opinion on what works/doesn’t. Firstly, the “Evolves from…” text needs to be bold. The BW/XY cards can get away with it not being bold because it’s in its own little box; here, it just doesn’t stand out enough. I’m surprised at how much I like the smaller HP in comparison to the number on this blank actually; it helps make the total number stand out (in a good way). The height/weight is where things get a little tricky…since BW cards use ‘HT’ and ‘WT,’ I’m assuming you knew that e-cards spelled out the names instead. Since you spelled them out, I’m going to take a point off here for using a dash instead of a colon (no card, to the best of my knowledge, has ever used a dash) and for not rounding the weight (as was the norm for WotC-era cards). I do think it would’ve looked better as bold-italic, but that’s just me. The use of the Ability symbol works fine, as e-card is when cards switched to Power/Body symbols. However, instead of starting your Ability with “Each turn,” I would’ve used “Once during your turn (before your attack),”. In the Ability, remember that “basic” should never be capitalized, but “Energy” should (which you missed in both the ability and the attack). Speaking of the attack, the way you worded it seems slightly strange. Unless you’re using Rainbow Energies (or Double Rainbow Energy, which isn’t legal in either the e-card or BW formats) to pay for the [R] costs, you’ll be using basic [R] Energy, so that’s an automatic 20 extra damage. Attacks like that work best when costing [C][C][C] (and making the conditional for each [R] Energy attached). Or, you could make the attack do 10 more damage for each type of basic Energy attached to Infernape. Either way, it seems…awkward right now. Otherwise, W/RC is okay, if a little jarring to see an Infernape without free RC. It does fit in the e-card era, though.

(Errors by the Pokédex info, using “Each turn,” in the Ability, basic capitalization, Energy missed capitalization)

Heavenly Spoon:

x1vUMTv.png

First glance it looks great! I’m a little confused about the faint diagonal lines running through the card, though…trying to make it look like scan lines? Regardless, I like it. Love the Power name (and effect). A fun card, indeed – my knowledge of the TCG isn’t what it once was, but I don’t think we’ve seen a card with that effect before! There’s just one tiny error I see…you forgot to italicize “before your attack” – I’m sure you’ll end up kicking yourself for it. Mind Break is a nice attack, too…starting with a forced discard, the chance to Confuse can help kick your opponent when s/he’s down. Damage output seems fitting for an e-card era Alakazam with that cost and effect. Word checks out across the board. I would probably move the “Illus.” text over slightly, but that’s pretty nitpicky. The e-card ID number shouldn’t be bold, either.

(I see no issues here)
Fonts and Placement: 8.5/10
(Bolded ID number, slightly misplaced “Illus.” text, and missed italics in the Poké-Power)
Total: 48/50

Jeremy1026:

kGcbxsC.png

Ooh – a dual-type card! Those were always a fun mechanic that I wish would make a return someday. However, your dual-type rule would’ve been a little better if you included the specific types it was – even if it’s obvious with the two symbols at the top. The official rule was, “This Pokémon is both [P] and [M] type.” I’d ditch one of the symbols at the top, use a emerged symbol, and clarify what types that specific Pokémon counts as. As for the attacks – a Metagross that Poisons? Interesting…and in a format where another Stage 2 can Poison and do 50 damage for [P][C], I’m not sure if the attack is powerful enough to justify not being able to use it again the following turn. Also, since the effect is the result of an attack, you should also use “Defending Pokémon,” not “your opponent’s Active Pokémon.” You repeat this error in the second attack as well. Psychic Stomp’s choice of words confuses me a bit. Do you mean to discard a Special Energy or all Special Energy cards attached to the Defending Pokémon? With the Energy cost and damage output, I’m going to assume you meant all. Looks like you’re having a bit of font troubles. The Resources Sticky should help you out a lot. Otherwise – the HP and damage output needs to be bolded. Also, remember to line up attack names (Toxic Smash should be moved in line with Psychic Stomp). The attack effect text also looks incorrect. I now I pointed this out to you in the thread, but you need to credit Ken Sugimori for that art – and take your name off of the “Illus.” text while you’re at it. I’m not sure what part of the card you illustrated, but if others can’t tell, time to remove! Overall, though, a nice first entry. I’m sure you’ll show great improvements over time!

(Either use “a” or “all” when describing a discard, and use “Defending Pokémon” in attack text)
(Not sure why a Metagross would Poison, nor is the damage/turn skip realistic in the current metagame)

PMJ & Athena:

9QyupHA.png

Once again, the team of Athena and PMJ prove they work well together. Hats off to Athena’s art, which looks perfect with the Dragon blank (psst…if you want to work on some cards for Neo Redux, I wouldn’t say no…). PMJ holds up his end of the bargain, too, with another great entry. Prize Trap is quite the creative Ability, and one that will definitely deter your opponent from using Special Conditions. It pairs wonderfully with the attack, too, which can cause self-inflicted Confusion. Wording of both seems to be correct. The HP might be a bit high, but we haven’t seen any Flygon cards in the XY-era, so I can’t fault you. The Energy cost, however, might be a little low compared to traditional Flygon cards; for those with a single attack, most usually require two typed Energies and a Colorless, so I would’ve made Outrage’s cost [G][F][C]. Minor gripe. Additionally, I would’ve chosen a shorter Pokédex entry as “as” is much closer to the border than usually seen, and I don’t really see a way around that, unless you make the font a size or two smaller. But again, minor gripe. Something I’ve noticed from the preprint scans is that the attack effects should be centered on the card, so I’d extend the text box of the Ability a few pixels to the right, and line up the attack effect accordingly (it doesn’t look like they’re lined up).

(A great Ability which pairs well with the attack)

Zygarde:

Sweet blank! Cool art! Great choice representing Delphox as Psychic-type – it’s a nice change from the more commonly seen Fire-type. Red Magic is a great name with a cool effect, very fitting for a Delphox. Card Trick is a nice, simple attack, and using Red Magic beforehand could get you pumped for a potential 120 damage – it amuses me thinking about how often you might get excited only to have your hopes crushed when the top card of your deck isn’t also an Energy card. There’s beauty in simplicity here – simple (but effective) effects which make for a really nice card. Well done, Zygarde!

Creativity/Originality: 19.25/20
Total: 48.75/50

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2014 - Stage 2 Results!

It's results time!!

Text Based:

Fletchluke said:
Stage 2 Eelektross HP140
TCGLight

Evolves from Eelektrik

eelektross.gif

NO. 604 EleFish Pokémon HT: 6'11" WT: 177.5 Ibs.

SF-Ability
Power Down
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a
TCGLight
Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, discard the top 2 cards of your opponent's deck.

TCGLight
TCGWhite
ElectroStorm
This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

weakness
SF-None
resistance
SF-None

retreat
TCGWhite
TCGWhite

With their sucker mouths, they suck in prey. Then they use their fangs to shock the prey with electricity.​

That weird Eel has always seemed like... odd to me. Like it would suck my brain when he had the chance.
*looks at dex entry*
... ... ...Be right back, gotta go cry on the corner until that mental image fades away...

Creativity/Originality: 19/20pts
Well, an amazingly creative card here, Feathers. The Ability really is something original, and I find it really clever. The attack, though, does seem like a cliché. That "Does XX damage and XX damage to each benched Pokémon" is kind of boring to see a lot(Minun has it... e.e). Something else would have given you that last point. But overall, I actually liked this a lot, so kudos!

Wording: 15/15pts
Nothing to see here. Perfect wording. Good.

Believability/Playability: 15/15pts
Like I said before, that card, in a BW-On/Unlimited format would be as broken as Hawaii after a Magnitude 15 Earthquake caused by a volcanic eruption. Imagine an Eelektrik/Eelektross/Prank Scope/Sableye deck... D: An effective 8-10 cards per turn. But since this is NXD-On, and there's no real way to keep streaming Lightning Energy in a turn apart from the unreliable Ether, is balanced enough to be an actual card AND for someone to use it in some sort of mill deck. Nicely done!

Amazing card, Feathers, nice work this month, you gave me no reasons to yell at you for doing things wrong correct anything just because there was almost nothing wrong! XD Congrats on the score, keep it up!

Total Score: 49/50pts
The 5th Regi said:
[Stage 2] Shiftry HP 120 [D]
Evolves from Nuzleaf
shiftry.gif

NO. 275 Wicked Pokémon HT: 4'03" WT: 131.4 lbs
[Ability] Get Outta Here
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a Pokémon-EX in your hand. If you do, choose two of your Prize Cards and place them face up for the remainder of the game.
[G][C] Slice N' Dice 40
Flip a coin. If heads, discard an Energy attached to one of your opponent's Pokémon. If tails, discard all Pokémon Tool cards attached to one of your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness: [F]x2
Resistance: [P]-20
Retreat: [C]

A Shiftry right after Flashfire's release, really didn't saw THAT coming. XD But anyways, let's get to it:

Creativity/Originality: 20/20pts
In my long judging career(cough*2 months*cough), I haven't seen something like this. It's very original that a mechanic forcefully requires Pokémon-EX to use it, but not necessarily in a bad way. And another card in the format so we can see prizes? Yes, please! And the attack is also funny, I've not seen, as of today's cards, an attack that combines Energy and Tool discarding, and a flip to decide it makes it even funnier to play. Many things not seen so much were combined perfectly in a fine-tuned balance, way to go!

Wording: 13/15pts
The reason why I'm docking points are just because, in the Ability, it should read "from your hand" instead of "in your hand"(most recent reference:Flame Torch); and that only "Prize" in "Prize card" should be capitalized(most recent reference:Luxio FLF). But apart from that, perfect wording, good job!

A nicely done card, to be honest. Sure, some decks MIGHT get some out of it, the most being Ho-oh and Flareon, but apart from that, it's good, but not good enough to be Yveltal-EX broken. I like it, I'd definitely love to see it as an upcoming card. Nicely done!

Good work this month, Reggie, a significant improvement from last time! Keep on going!

Total Score: 48/50pts
Lord Dracula said:
Porygon-Z [Prime] 130 HP [C]
Stage 2 - Evolves from Porygon2

Poké-Power : Dubious Data
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search in the Lost Zone (both yours and your opponent's) for a Trainer card and use the effect of that card as the effect of this power. (The Trainer card remains in the Lost Zone.) You can't use more than 1 Dubious Data Poké-Power each turn. This power can't be used if Porygon-Z is affected by a Special Condition.

[C][C] Infection 20
Both player choose a card from his or her hand and put it in the Lost Zone.

[C][C][C] Primal Reboot 100
Shuffle Porygon-Z and all cards attached to it into your deck.

weakness
[F]x2
resistance
[-]
retreat cost
[-]

Oh, Porygon-Z Prime, I would have loved to see that back then... :D It's a card from an era I didn't play much, so it's harder to judge(I actually took a whole day to look for references... e.e), but let's do this:

Creativity/Originality: 18/20pts
It's actually very creative, as I see it. Yes, as many Pokémon Prime, it can deal with the Lost Zone, but it does it in a way that somewhat combines Smeargle and Mew Prime, but not to the point of being utterly boring and straightly recognizable, so kudos, good job!

Wording: 14/15pts
The card's wording is perfect... except for one thing: In the Poké-Power, it should read "you may search in the Lost Zone", excluding that "in". Other that that, it's perfect, so, nicely done!

Yeah, it could be a somewhat over-powered set-up card, but it's balanced out by the same thing that make people look Diggersby, Florges and Milotic DRX in the current format: It's an Evolution card, and a Stage 2, so it's even harder to accomplish that. Sure, Candy wasn't errata'd by then, but still, it couldn't have been as good as I hope it could, so that actually makes it TCPi material! :p Good!

Nice card, Drac, I actually liked it a lot!

Total Score: 47/50pts
Amazing Alex said:
Stage 2 Beedrill HP130
20px-Grass-attack.png

Evolves from Kakuna

beedrill.gif

NO. 015 Poison Bee Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 65.0 lbs.

SF-Ability
Kindergartner Attacker
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may search your deck for a Trainer card, reveal it, and put it into your hand.

20px-Grass-attack.png
TCGWhite
Infi-Needle
Flip a coin for each Energy attached to this Pokémon and the Defending Pokémon. Discard the top card of your opponent's deck for each heads.

weakess
TCGLight
resistance
SF-None

retreat
TCGWhite

It is a very territorial wasp and cares more about the safety of its dear Weedle and Kakuna than its own.​

Ok, a Beedrill in favor of child disturbance... This world is doomed... XD But on the card, though:

The card is very creative, I'm not gonna lie, you nailed it. The Ability is somewhat unique and the attack is very well thought. Good job!

Wording: 12/15pts
Well, you missed a couple of things: The first one, and the biggest one, is the "Shuffle your deck afterwards." Clause after the Ability, so 2 points for that. And the last one, and a really weird one, I gotta say, is the W/R. You use the Flying-type attribute often given to part Flying-type in the VG, but halfway through. If you use a
TCGLight
Weakness, use a
TCGRock
Resistance, and if you use a
TCGFire
Weakness, then use a
SF-None
Resistance (Reference: Emolga NXD vs. Emolga LTR). Using a complete different scheme of Weakness and Resistance that is logical to the Poké(such as using a
TCGWater
Weakness to an Yveltal to represent Ice-type and a
TCGGrass
to represent Grass/Bug-type is also valid, though, just FYI. Be aware that I'm docking just 1 point, so look better next time, ok? ;)

Believability/Playability: 14/15pts
Well, it's overall very balanced. It could be a replacement for Skyla as Ninetales was for Catcher in an eventual rotation or something like that. And of course, it has that mill DNA that can't be overlooked, although it can be abused a little. But it is good, though!

It's a nice card, Alexander, but the Wording sank you down a bit. :/ But you can learn from it and come back next month, so good luck!

Total Score:46/50pts
The Greedy Machamp said:
Stage 2 // Typhlosion // HP140 [R]
156.png
Evolves from Quilava
image.php

NO. 157 Volcano Pokémon HT: 5'07" WT: 175.3lbs.

[Ability] Flame Barrier
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a [R] Energy card from your hand. If you do, any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance) during your opponent's next turn.

[R][R][R][C] Powerful Eruption 150
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any Energy cards you find there into your hand. Discard the other cards.

weakness [W] X2
resistance
retreat cost [C][C]

If its rage peaks, it becomes so hot that anything that touches it will instantly go up in flames.

My God, Typhlosion, one of my favorite... *.* Let's hit it!

Well, it's an amazing Ability, I have to say. And the attack, though somehow seen before, took another road and made it different. Good work!

The wording is not bad per se, but it can be written better. The Ability could say "If you do, during your opponent's next turn, all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance)." I'm taking Registeel-EX and Eviolite as references here, but since I can't find any BW wording that involves both a coin flip and a partial damage reduction, I'm only taking a point there. The other point, which I'm more secure of this one than the last one, is that the attack should read: "Discard the top 5 cards of your deck. If any of those cards are Energy cards, put them in your hand." (Reference: Rayquaza-EX). The wording you used looks a bit old fashioned, it was used before, but just not in this era of the TCG. But besides those brain-twisting phrases, the card's text is good. Nice!

Believability/Playability: 14/15pts
To be honest, the card is actually good, the fact of being a Stage 2 gives it some trouble to set up and attack even(and specially) with Emboar, so we're fine here. But the Ability can be used plenty of times, but it's as usable as Barbaracle FLF's attack is, or even worse, so not bad to use in a fun deck of some sort. Nice job!

I loved the card, Machamp, nicely done!!

Lemonnade's reverse said:
Salamence - Stage 2 Pokemon Evolves from Shelgon [DR] 150 HP
NO. 373 Dragon Pokemon HT: 4'11" WT: 226.2 lbs.
Ability Fire Flier
If this Pokemon has any [R] energy attached to it, this Pokemon's type is both [C] and [DR], and any damage to this Pokemon by attacks from your opponent's [F] Pokemon is reduced by 20 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).
[C][C][C] Anger Management Problems 70+
If this Pokemon has both [R] and [W] energy attached to it, this attack does 50 more damage and the Defending Pokemon is now Burned.
Weakness: [DR] x2
Resistance: [G] -20
Retreat: [C][C][C]
"As a result of its long-held dream of flying, its cellular structure changed, and wings grew out."
PokéBeach CaC 29/30 Rare Holo

Alright, I don't know how good it is to see a Salamence with Anger Management Problems... D: You missed the "Judge with Caution" clause there, BTW. XDDD So, now I've made my joke, let's move on:

All points here. Amazing creativity, the Ability is something I've never seen before, the attack is really original, you gave Dragon-type one of the 4 Resistances it should have, is so good that I can't actually keep talking, I'm speechless... Except for the fact that I'm actually typing. :p Nice work!

Wording: 14/15pts
The only deduction here is the lack of accented é's in Pokémon, so 1 point there. But apart from that, the text is perfect, way to go, rev!!

The Ability is useful, but not really game-changing; the attack is relatively good for a Stage 2 and requires Energy combination/manipulation or 2 Rainbow to use to it's fullest; Burn only has a support in Volcarona DEX, that's another evolution card... This card is absolutely balanced and it can be even part any set, and it even has the Set number down there. Good job, you nailed it!

Wow, rev3rsor, this card actually turned out to be better than I thought, and I already had high hopes for it! Excellent work, keep on going!!

Total Score: 49/50pts
Wanderer of Night said:
[D] Hydreigon 150 HP
Stage 2 (evolves from Zweilous)
hydreigon.gif

Ability: Otherworldly Destruction
If your opponent's Pokémon is knocked out by damage from an attack of this Pokémon, place that Pokémon and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone instead.

[D][D][D] Disaster Beam 100
Discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon.

W: [Y] R: ___ Retreat: [C][C][C]

Their heads on their arms do not have brains. They use all three heads to consume and destroy everything.

A Hydreigon, from Keeper of Night, and is afraid of Fairies... seems legit. XD Let's bring Tinkerbell and judge this thing apart:

Creativity/Originality: 19/20pts
You brought back the Lost Zone! D: I'm actually ok with that, I like that mechanic as long as it wasn't very OP. :p That single Fairy Weakness is nice for a change, and a Vanilla attack that actually fits Hydreigon quite well. Nice, Keeper!

Just one deduction for one subtle, underrated thing in the Ability: "If your opponent's __________ Pokémon"? It could be "If your opponent's Active Pokémon", "If your opponent's Defending Pokémon", or even "If any of your opponent's Pokémon", but that clarification IS needed, so I'm taking 2 points from there. Keep an eye for that, you tend to lose points for dumb things in the Wording... xD

Well, even though bringing back the lost zone is a really dangerous move, TBH, it isn't very OP in Hydreigon. It can't OHKO everything in the format, it need constant spamming of energy... Is like a Lugia would do without Colress Machine and Deoxys. :p But that said, I believe this is one of the safest and one of the best ways to re-introduce the Lost Zone to the TCG, if not the most balanced. Great job, KoN!

So, overall, this card actually got a lot of my attention, I really liked it. Keep that effort going, Keeper, and buy a pair of glasses for the next time you take 3 weeks to check on Wording, would ya? :p

4th Place: AlexanderTheAwesome's fireproof Beedrill, scoring 46/50pts.
3rd Place: A TRIPLE TIE between GM DracLord's virus-filled Porygon-Z, [mod]Machamp The Champion[/mod]'s Forretress Typhoon Fortress Typhlosion and Keeper of Night's Fairy-phobic Hydreigon, all getting 47/50pts.
2nd Place: Reggie McGigas, surging from the ashes along his selfish, rude and lonely Shiftry, netting himself 48/50pts,
1st Place: A TIE between Scorched Feathers' brain-sucking Eelektross and rev3rsor's soaring Salamence with an almost perfect 49/50 points!

It was an excellent month, every entry got 9/10 in terms of scoring, and I want to see that continue!

Image Based:

Amperglyph:

anabel1406:

Heavenly Spoon:
x1vUMTv.png

(I see no issues here)
Fonts and Placement: 8.5/10
(Bolded ID number, slightly misplaced “Illus.” text, and missed italics in the Poké-Power)
Jeremy1026:
kGcbxsC.png

PMJ & Athena:
9QyupHA.png

(A great Ability which pairs well with the attack)
Zygarde:

Creativity/Originality: 19.25/20
Total: 48.75/50

So positions are:
5th Place: Jeremy1026 and his poisonous Metagross (?), getting 37.5/50pts.
4th Place: anabel1406's old-timey Plasma Infernape, winning 39/50pts.
3rd Place: Amperglyph's colorful and controversial Vivillon, hitting 43.50/50pts.
2nd Place: A TIE between Heavenly Spoon's Alakazam with, well, Spoons and the dynamic duo, PMJ & Athena, with their loony-looking Flygon, getting 48/50pts.
1st Place: The amazing Zygarde returns to the top along a Witch Delphox to get an amazing 48.75/50pts!

So this wraps up this month! I will see you once again on June, and I hope CMP does as well, so keep those top-notch submissions coming! :D See ya around! And of course, any doubts about the Judging just let us know. ;)

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

So, overall, this card actually got a lot of my attention, I really liked it. Keep that effort going, Keeper, and buy a pair of glasses for the next time you take 3 weeks to check on Wording, would ya?
-.-
It was only, like, one week. For the record.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Not what you said before... XD But nevermind, I won't edit the post for that. :p
Edit: I meant that in a funny way, just to be clear, KoN.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Ah darn. I forgot about Celestial Roar. Oh well, I can't win them all. :p

Congrats to SF, rev, Zygarde, and everyone else for their awesome entries! Can't wait for next month, as usual. I'll try to make my card before the last 3 days of the contest next time.

Zygarde

Z-Dawg

That was unexpected hahahaha
Feels good winning this one, cause I have no idea when I'll be able to fake again. PC problems suck. Congrats everyone who participated, entries were quite good this month!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

gg all, see you guys next month with another dragon probably

rev3rsor

目がピアノを弾く

Congrats to everyone :D
Just a side note, I was never docked in the past for not having the accent on the e, but I'll take it, seeing as everyone else put it in.
ecc656b732.png
(that's from December 2013, judged by DNA)

And in reference to
You missed the "Judge with Caution" clause there
I didn't think of that but now that you mention it that's a pretty funny idea :p

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Amperglyph said:
So, I've been unexpectedly busy since posting my entry, but I just wanted a chance to thank everyone for their commentary. The compliments are great, of course, but I'm also very happy with the constructive criticism - it's given me a lot to think about, and good ideas for what I can do to improve my custom blank.

You ought to make a thread here to discuss it! I'd love to see more cards using the blank, and I'd be very happy to share more detailed constructive criticism. :)

Luispipe8 said:
Hats off to Athena’s art, which looks perfect with the Dragon blank (psst…if you want to work on some cards for Neo Redux, I wouldn’t say no…)

That would actually be really cool. I've always admired your Neo Redux stuff. I'll have to remember to take you up on this at some point. :)

PMJ said:
gg all, see you guys next month with another dragon probably

It was a pure coincidence that they both happened to be dragons, honestly. >_> Dragonair turned out the best of the ones I did for the first month, and this month I was looking at a list of Stage 2 Pokémon and I just got that idea for the goofy, upside-down Flygon stuck in my head and couldn't get rid of it until I drew it. I guess we'll have to see what next month has in store for us. :D

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer

I... I won?
YATTA!~
Congratulations to rev3rsor too and thanks for participating, everyone!

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

rev3rsor said:
Congrats to everyone :D
Just a side note, I was never docked in the past for not having the accent on the e, but I'll take it, seeing as everyone else put it in.
ecc656b732.png
(that's from December 2013, judged by DNA)

And in reference to
You missed the "Judge with Caution" clause there
I didn't think of that but now that you mention it that's a pretty funny idea :p

Yeah, I know DNA didn't docked points for that, but I'm so meticulous that I can't not do it. :p

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: May 2014 - Stage 2 Results!

CMP said:
First glance it looks great! I’m a little confused about the faint diagonal lines running through the card, though…trying to make it look like scan lines?
I probably should've left them out... I added scan lines to the Venomoth card I made last time to lighten up the blank and to make it feel a bit less monochrome. But those were white, so they were less noticeable on the blank itself. I had to make them black here because they made Alakazam seem a bit too happy otherwise. I actually used gradients for the Alakazam art, so it's not like it would look bland without them...

Also, no italics? ... That's probably what I get for creating a card after midnight. Oh well, being tied with the PMJ/Athena combo isn't bad at all. Can't wait to see your next dragon, BTW!

Congratulations to the winners and all that. Here's hoping for a theme other than EX/lv.X/etc. for next time.

Reggie McGigas

-

2nd place?

aww-yeah-300x300.jpg

That's a tie for my best finish yet! Keep up the good work, and congrats to the winners.

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member

Congrats to the winners!

You all did a fantastic job (saw so many creative cards)! A major thanks goes to Luispipe8 and CMP for judging.

Hope you guys are ready for the next round. The theme has been chosen.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Keeper of Night said:
Looks like Amperglyph's beautiful card was cheated out of .5 points. :O
That's my bad when transcribing the results, fixed now. :p