Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2018 - Luck ~ Both Portions Up!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Now that we are in April, we should find out the theme of the next contest as soon as the voting results for March have been verified.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results
You have spoken!

Image-Based:
1st:
@Nyan - Lycanroc-GX - 13 points
2nd: @Robin Aisaga - Celebi-GX - 11 points
3rd: @MarshalBry - Mew ◇ - 10.5 points
4th: @PMJ - Swirlix - 8.5 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@DashKing - Arceus ◇ - 9.5 points
2nd: @Vracken - Chatot - 7 points
3rd: @VioletValkyrie - 6.5 points
4th: [TIED] @GekkisaiDaiNi - Klefki || @Anime Psyclone - Ash's Ash-Greninja-GX - 4.5 points

Sorry about the late results everyone - they're here now!

Last edited:

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
BUMP: Will we find out how the cards from this contest were judged this month, or will that now happen in May?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
BUMP: Will we find out how the cards from this contest were judged this month, or will that now happen in May?
The image-based judging is complete, while the text-based portion judging is still underway. They'll both be released soon!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge: @bbninjas

Kangaflora:
create_a_card_s_bellossom_by_kangaflora-dc4r3vx.png

I’m not sure if this was intentional, but Flower Aqua Lift is a nice nod to the old delta [W] Bellossom!

Flower Pollen is a nice and fun spin on the luck theme. That said, I’m not quite following the design choice, when deciding to assign Asleep for 1 heads, etc. I’d expect that the most potent effects would be more difficult to flip, or at least that similar effects would have similar probabilities. Instead: 3% chance (Poison / Can’t attack), 16% chance (Asleep, Paralyzed), 31% (Burned / Confused). The attack base damage does also seem a tad too high for a Bellossom - I’d expect a similar effect to be printed with about 70 base damage instead.

Wording errors:
- “this Pokemon has no Retreat Cost” should be “it has no Retreat Cost”. (-1pt)

Fonts and Placement errors:
- The fonts used for the card name and attack name should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The attack name text are a couple of points too large. (-1pts)
- The attack name text should be quite a few more pixels over to the right. (-1pts)
- The illustration text is a few pixels too high and a few points too large. (-1pts)
- The Retreat Cost orbs are a few pixels too far too the right. (-0.5pts)
- The attack effect text starts a few pixels too early and ends a few pixels too late. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Fun effects and nice flavour.)
Wording: 14/15
(Just a minor slip.)
Fonts and Placement: 4.5/10
(A number of placement errors.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Some odd design choices in Flower Pollen.)
Aesthetics: 2/5
(Uses artwork from an existing card.)
Total: 33.5/50

steffenka:

It’s about time that we see you here, steffen!

Gamble is an interesting effect and not one that I’ve seen before, with the added bonus of being very true to the spirit of the theme! It is a tad abusable since each of your Krookodile can flip for the gamble, and the chances that at least one will be heads is quite likely (you just use some switch shenanigans to activate the one you’d like). The effect alone probably would be fine since this is a Stage 2, but Play Dirty’s fairly simple attack cost means that you could be easily swinging for 120+, with a decent chance of getting rid of that ever valuable energy. It wouldn’t be game-breaking, but it is a slight power creep.

The art is great and once again meets the theme perfectly, but the nature of the medium does detract a little from the overall card. I know it’s not something you can help too much, although you can decrease the art saturation to make it less grey / washed out.

Wording errors:
- There should be a “During your turn,” clause in front of “this Pokemon’s attacks”. x2 (-3pts)

- The HP150 text looks to be a couple of pixels too large. (-1pt)
- The fonts used for the card name and attack name should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The attack effects text should be justified. (-1pts)
- The x2 in the Weakness should be a couple of pixels lower. (-0.5pts)
- The “Evolves from Krokorok” text in italics is noticeably too slanted, especially on comparison with official cards. (-0.5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(A unique effect that meets the theme great!)
Wording: 12/15
(A missing clause.)
Fonts and Placement: 6/10
(A few minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(A cautious -0.5pts for power creep.)
Aesthetics: 4.5/5
(A small -0.5pt as the art looks washed out.)
Total: 40/50

Yog:

The art often makes-or-breaks these GX cards, but it’s looking spot on! Great job!

Champion’s Purse is a different spin on the standard Victory Star Victini effect, so that’s nice. It is potentially abusable with the right effects though - it defeats the point of any “Flip 2 coins, if both are tails, this attack does nothing” effects, and is pretty lethal combined with any effects that discard Energy, such as Skin the Cat - since it guarantees at least one discard. Additionally, only one Champion’s Purse may be used per turn, as otherwise you could treat multiple tails as heads.

That combo makes Incineroar-GX rather lethal in its own right - a fairly low attack cost hitting for 110 with a guaranteed Energy discard is undoubtedly a power creep. Malicious Moonsault is fairly standard, but it does work nicely with the Ability.

Wording errors:
- ‘energy’ should be capitalised as ‘Energy’. (-1pt)
- There should be a “Once during your turn” clause at the start of the Champion’s Purse Ability. (-2pts)
- Champion’s Purse should be written more like Victini’s Victory Star Ability: “If you flip 2 or more coins for an attack, you may treat 1 tails as heads.” (-2pts)
- Malicious Moonsault GX should have “70x” to the right of the attack name. (-2pts)

- The text used for the card name should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The Illus. Text and the set number text should be a few pixels more to the bottom. (-1pts)
- The [P] orb and the -20 text in the Resistance should be quite a few pixels more the left. (-1pts)
- The effect text ends a few pixels too late (it should end a few pixels in from the final digit of the base damage). (-0.5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Playing around with new design space.)
Wording: 8/15
(A couple of minor and major errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 6.5/10
(A few minor errors.)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Champion’s Purse is a bit abusable, and overpowered without restricting the Champion’s Purse Ability to once per turn.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Looking good!)
Edit penalty: -2pts
Total: 32.5/50

Robin Aisaga:

I wonder if this Celebi knows how you will place? :eek:

Future Glimpse is interesting. It’s a splashable effect, but that is kept under check fine with the coin flip. Some players may decide that Celebi would be a worthwhile 1-off tech, but I’d imagine that most will use that valuable slot for something else (mostly since it isn’t 100% reliable).

Rewind is an interesting gamble. There’s the big reward of nullifying your opponent’s hand (which isn’t a huge advantage when many decks run Ability-based draw these days), and that’s not even that reliable. I probably would have liked to see that draw increased by a few more cards though, just to better weigh out the gambit.
(or [G]-types in general) don’t have an [L] resistance, so that’s a bit weird.

I noticed how the leaf shapes in the background and the shapes in the background texture are rather complimentary, which is pretty difficult to pull off! Kudos!

Wording errors:
- ‘one’ should be ‘1’. (-1pts)
- ‘This Prize card’ should be ‘That Prize card’. (-1pt)
- Your opponent “draws” 2 cards, not “draw”. (-1pt)
- You must turn one of your ‘face-down Prize cards face up’. (-2pts) (Ref: Umbreon XY Promo)

- The text used for the card name and the attack names should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The Celebi-GX text should be quite a few more pixels more towards the top of the card. (-1pts)
- The “You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in the game” text is quite a few pixels too small. (-1pts)
- The [L] orb and the -20 text in the Resistance should be a few pixels more the left. (-0.5pts)
- The attack effects text should be justified. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 11/15
(An interesting gambit and exploring design space.)
Wording: 10/15
(A few simple misses.)
Fonts and Placement: 5.5/10
(A few minor slips.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(An odd resistance.)
(Looking good!)
Edit penalty: -2pt
Total: 33.5/50

blahblahbal:

I’ve seen an effect make all coin flips tails, but not heads! There’s probably a reason for that too - treating all flips as heads sorta defeats the point of flips in the first place, and the whole point of the theme. It is also brokenly powerful with that Tempt Fate attack, and with any flippy trainers (or any other particularly nasty flip-attacks). I would have liked to see Good Luck more as a gamble - Flip a coin, if heads - treat all coin flips you make during this turn as heads. If tails, treat all as tails. :p

Tempt Fate is definitely temptingly fun! However, none of the potential results would make a particularly negative impact on your game (in fact, most a very strong!), so there’s not much risk involved, and as such, not much luck.

Wording errors:
- “before your attack” should be in italics. (-1pt)
- “treat all coins flips you make during this turn as heads” should be “whenever you flip a coin during this turn, treat it as heads.” (-3pts)

- The “Jumpluff” card name should be a few more pixels to the left and a few pixels higher. (-1pts)
- The pokedex information in the bar between the art and the effects should be a point or two smaller. (-1pts)
- The Illus. credit should be a tad smaller, and the set number should be slight larger. (-1pts)
- The size of the text of each effect should be the same size, even when you need to reduce the size to be lower than normal. (-1pts)
- The Energy attack costs should be a few more pixels to the left, and the base damage numbers should be a few more pixels to the right. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 6/15
(Interesting effects, but they defeat the point of the theme.)
Wording: 11/15
(A minor and major error.)
Fonts and Placement: 5/10
(Some more obscure placement and size errors.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(A broken Ability that defeats the point of coin flipping, a luck-based attack without any real negative effects.)
Aesthetics: 3/5
(It does look like this Jumpluff is feeling lucky, so that’s cool!)
Total: 27/50

PMJ:

Long time, no see! I don’t think I’ve ever judged one of your cards before, come to think of it.

I’ve always been a sucker for Retreat Cost based effects, and I like how you’ve combined luck with this one. I don’t think it would be too potent in the SM-era, as with 4 Dugtrio / 2 heads from Swirlix / a Stadium, and assuming the average Retreat Cost is [C][C], you could expect to be hitting 90 base at the most from Fairy Impact, or 180 from 20x attackers. That’s still not enough to take a KO on a large bulk of GX Pokemon!

Wording errors:
- Looks fine to me!

- The Swirlix text should be a few more pixels more towards the top of the card. (-1pts)
- The HP 50 font should be a few more pixels larger, and a few more pixels towards the top of the card. (-1.5pts)
- The PokeDex information in the bar between the art and the attack effects should be a point or so smaller. (-0.5pts)

(A fun integration of coin flips and Retreat Cost-based Abilities.)
Wording: 15/15
(XXX)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(A few minor errors related to font size.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(All good~)
(Very nice, cheeky art!)
Total: 44/50

MarshalBry:

It’s great to see you around again, Marshal!

Final Ties is a fairly standard Mew Ability. I’m not really feeling that coin flip on it (it just seems to be there for the sake of being there), but it does have some synergy in that if you flip tails, Cast Away still bolsters the power of the Final Ties Ability.

Cast Away is a nice, not-so-obvious choice for a luck effect. You don’t really have control over what cards your opponent picks, and in that sense, it is a bit up to chance.

Wording errors:
- “all Pokemon in the Lost Zone” should be “any Pokemon in the Lost Zone” (Marshadow-GX) (-1pts)
- There should be a comma between “your turn” and “this Pokemon”. (-1pt)

- The Mew name text should be a few more pixels towards the top of the card. (-1pt)
- The HP 110 text should be a few more pixels towards the bottom of the card. (-0.5pts)
- The Illus. text is much too small. (-1pts)
- The names of the attacks are a few points too small. (-0.5pts)
- The set symbol is a few pixels too high. (-0.5pts)
- The effect text starts a few pixels too early and ends a few pixels too late (it should end a few pixels in from the final digit of the base damage). (-1pts)
- The effect text should be justified. (-1pts)

(Exploring some design space, with fun and synergetic effects.)
Wording: 13/15
(A few minor slips.)
Fonts and Placement: 4.5/10
(A few misses in font size and placement.)
(Seems fine to me.)
(Some nice art, with bonus points for doing it yourself!)
Total: 39.5/50

KnightofDust:

The aesthetic design here is an immediate standout! The art choice has a rather unique style, but it works! The purple gem in the background of the card is also a nice touch.

Mischievous Contract has plays around with some nice design space. It’s a small twist on the Victini Victory Star effect, while also sporting a rather fresh sort of draw support. It’s not too overpowered by itself due to its reliance on your opponent, and is the chance element meets the theme nicely! However, there is a bit too much going on for a single Ability - it feels like you’ve put two different effects together into a single Ability, when each effect would stand alone as their own Ability fine. Additionally, the Ability is overpowered without restricting the use of a single Mischievous Contract Ability per turn. This is because you could have multiple Sableye in play and change the outcome of up to 4 flips (that’s enough to guarantee Paralyze flips, effects that discard multiple Energy etc), and means that a single heads flipped by your opponent could lead to 4 cards drawn, instead of just one.
Aces In Hand seems to be a fairly standard effect, although it is freshened up with that Energy discard. There’s some nice synergy there too. However, that base damage is pretty high for a Sableye, even with a discard - with a 5 card hand (which is not hard to reach), you could be very easily hitting 100+ damage, and even higher is barely more difficult.

Wording errors:
- “Mischevious” is spelt “Mischievous”. (-1pt)
- “You may change the outcome of 1 of your coin flips” should be more like “you may choose 1 of those coin flips and treat the results as whatever you like.” (reference: Victini Victory Star) (-1pts)
- There should be a “after you flip any coins for an attack” after “Once during your turn”. (-2pts) (reference: Victini Victory Star)
- Although it’s implied, there really should be a “during their turn” after “any number of coins”. (-2pts)

- The HP80 font is a pixel too high and a pixel too far to the right. (-1pts)
- The text used for the card name should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The PokeDex information in the bar between the art and the attack effects should be a point or so smaller. (-0.5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(A very fun card with nice exploration of design space and synergy.)
Wording: 9/15
(A few complicated wording errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 7.5/10
(A couple of minor slips.)
Believability/Playability: 2/5
(Some overpowered effects, and too much going on in the Ability.)
(Some great art choices and implementations!)
Edit penalty: -2pts
Total: 34.5/50

King1313:

Definitely a lot of coin flipping going on here! Wish is a fairly standard effect with a coin flip added to it, while Doom Desire is interesting and suitable chance-based. I would have liked to see a bit of a higher attach cost than a single [M] Energy though - that’s a single [M] for a potential Knock Out or spread damage - odds that a boosted further by the presence of any reflipping Abilities (i.e. Victini) or Trainers (i.e. Trick Coin).

I’m going to assume that you did the art, even though there is no illustration credit on the card? I like your effort, if that’s the case, but it doesn’t quite do it for me unfortunately.

Wording errors:
- ‘one’ should be ‘1’. (-1pt)
- “Pokemon”, “Defending” and “Knocked Out” should be capitalised. x4 (-2.5pts)
- The “Defending Pokemon” should be “Your opponent’s Active Pokemon” in the SM-era. (-1pts)
- “If both coins flip heads” should be “If both are heads”. “If one is heads and the other is tails” should be “If 1 is heads”. x3 (-2pts)
- “every Pokemon” should be “each Pokemon in play”. (-1pts)

- You’re missing the illustration text, both Pokedex information and the set number. (-4pts)
- The font for the attack names and the card name is incorrect - it should be more bold and condensed. (-1pts)
- There is number of rather obvious placement errors, including the positioning of the HP, the name, and both attack effects. Some placements look like they’ve been randomly guessed. (-5pts)

Creativity/Originality: 9/15
(Some fun effects.)
Wording: 7.5/15
(A few simple slip-ups.)
Fonts and Placement: 0/10
(You should use a reference for your card placements, if you want this category to improve.)
(A slight power creep.)
(Nice effort.)
Total: 22.5/50

TheKangaskhanKid:

Fun fact! This is an art piece that I actually used for one my own image-fakes a few years ago now. ^.^

Infernal Spell is fairly basic Energy acceleration, of course a bit less potent than your typical Deluge Blastoise. Psychoburn is a fairly standard coin flip attack, and being the only luck-based effect on the card, I would have liked to see some more exploration of design space. Mystical Fire is also reminiscent of a recent Supporter effect.

Wording errors:
- “[R] Energy” should be “[R] Energy card”, as the card is not yet attached to a Pokemon. X2 (-1.5pts)
- “before you attack” should be “before your attack”, and the clause should be in italics. (-2pts)
- The “e” in “Pokemon” should be accented. (-1pt)

- The text used for the card name and attack names should be more condensed (i.e. squished slightly length-ways). (-1pts)
- The Ability symbol and the left-most Energy symbol of the attacks should be aligned. (-1pts)
- The attack effect text should be justified. (-1pts)
- The Energy orbs and text in the Weakness and Retreat Cost should be a number of pixels over to the left. (-1pts)
- The MAR2018 text and the CAC symbol are much too large, and are too high. (-2pts)

Creativity/Originality: 7/15
(Doesn’t really explore design space around the theme.)
Wording: 10.5/15
(A few minor errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(A number of placement errors.)
(Looks fine to me.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Some nice art and holosheeting work!)
Total: 30.5/50

DoubleAACE:

Aha! I found a card that isn’t from the SM-era! :p

Resonating Ball is a rather creative and interesting effect! I don’t think it’ll be too powerful as that Energy discard is rather hefty, but it would be useful every now and then. I would have liked to see a bit more chance involved in this effect though, considering the theme.

Mirror Shot is a fairly standard effect, but it works nicely within the theme. There is also some nice slight synergy between the effects, as even if you get unlucky, Resonating Ball does provide some safety net.

Wording errors:
- “this Pokemon’s attacks” should be “each of Bronzong Lv.X’s attacks”. (-1pts)
- The “after applying all other effects to that damage” should be in brackets. (-1pts)

- The HP110 font is a bit too large. (-1pts)
- The x2 and the -20 is too bold. (-1pts)

(Some fun effects and synergy.)
(A few minor errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(A few minor errors.)
(Seems fine to me~)
(A lovely choice of art.)
Total: 42/50

Nyan:

Headscout is a nice effect that forces your opponent to play smart, and as long as they do, it won’t take too much of a toll. I can see some scenarios where the effect could become part of a deck-lock strategy, but I’d imagine running this Lycanroc-GX simply for Ability would be too clunky to be viable.

-GX and -EX hate is always welcome, although there’s some irony here with the effect being on a -GX anyway. The attack cost / damage output ratio does seem to creep a tad too high however - along with standard damage boosters, you’re hitting at least 110+ reliably, and 150+ on GXs, and that’s not considering boosters such as Strong Energy.

Pack Hunt is a fairly standard effect, although nice flavourly. It would have been nice to see the theme incorporated in the other effects, and not just this one. :p

Wording errors:
- Seems fine.

- The “GX” in the attack name should be a few more pixels closer to the “Lycanroc” text. (-1pts)
- The effect text ends a few pixels too late (it should end a few pixels in from the final digit of the base damage). (-0.5pts)
-

(Some creative and fun effects, but lacks much exploration of the theme.)
Wording: 15/15
(Looks good!)
Fonts and Placement: 8.5/10
(A couple of minor slips.)
(A slight power creep.)
(Beautiful as per normal!)
Total: 43.5/50

BravenLion:

Welcome to the competition, Braven!

I like the effect of Crushing Blow, as it’s rather flavourful and fitting for a Tyranitar, and there’s some level of luck involved.

Earthquake is a fairly standard effect. It probably could do with an extra [D] Energy in the attack cost however, in comparison to other Tyranitar, and considering the potentially potent hand disruption that comes alongside that high damage output. Also, Earthquake is actually has an established effect in the TCG (i.e. spread damage), so this different variation is a bit odd.

Split the Earth has an interesting concept as its effect, as it has interesting synergy with Earthquake! You can Earthquake to put a majority of your opponent’s hand on the top of their deck, and then Split the Earth to mess that order up entirely. Very nice.

Wording errors:
- ‘energy’ should be capitalised as “Energy”. (-1pt)
- There should be a comma between “do” and “your opponent discards”. (-1pt)
- Numbers should be written in numeral form (i.e. 2) instead of written form (i.e. two). x3 (-2pts)
- “randomly choose 1 card” should be “choose a random card” (-1pt)
- “opponents” should be “opponent’s”. (-1pt)
- “if you would like” should be replaced with “attached to this Pokemon”. (-2pts)
- “your opponent discards two cards off top his deck” should be “discard the top 2 cards of your opponent’s deck”. (-3pts)
- “Put that card on top of his deck” should be more like “Put those cards on the top of their deck.” (-1pt)
- “If this attack does damage” should be something like “If the Defending Pokemon is damaged by this attack,”. (-2pts)

- The [D] Energy used in the attack effect should be a silhouetted version, not the orb. (-1pts)
- The fonts for the attack name and attack effects should be Gill Sans. (-2pts)
- On GX cards, there should be a white outline on nearly all text that is above the Weakness and Resistance section of the card. (-2pts)
- The HP210 text, the attack names and the attack effects are all much too small. (-2pts)
- The Illus. Text and the set number are much too large. (2pts)
- The attack effects text should be justified all the way to a few pixels inward from the base damage text. (-1pts)

(Creative and fun effects that meet the theme nicely, with synergy.)
Wording: 1/15
(A bunch of errors.)
Fonts and Placement: 0/10
(Quite a number of errors. I would recommend checking out our DIY Fonts & Placements guide if you’d like to improve this score!)
(A slight power creep in Earthquake.)
(The art doesn’t quite do it for me unfortunately - it doesn’t feel quite dynamic or GX-y.)
Total: 19/50

3rd Place: DoubleAACE’s Bronzong Lv.X, with 42/50 points.
2nd Place: Nyan’s Lycanroc-GX, with 43.5/50 points.
1st Place: PMJ’s Swirlix with 44/50 points

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Results

Judge: @NinjaPenguin

Judge’s Note: First things first, I really want to apologize for taking so long to get this out. Life was quite difficult on me and I hope to never need to take this long again. That is made even more unfortunate when you guys really did quite well this month! This is one of, if not the most, creative batches of cards I’ve seen for this contest. Not only that, I saw so many people here do their best ever, or at least something close to it, in wording! Congrats to all of you for that improvement! That being said, that still leaves Believability as something that needs to be worked on. Nobody got a perfect score in it this month, and many missed that mark by a good deal. For the future, I want all of you to take a closer look at your card and how balanced/believable/complete it may be.

I really am so sorry that this took so long to get to you, so please please please don’t be afraid to shoot me a PM and ask for help when it comes to improving your faking and what you can do better. I may have taken an eternity, but I promise to make it up for you guys by giving you the advice you need to do well at this in the future.

1. @jessalakasam
Wording Errors:

Risk It For The Biscuit:
-Decapitalize words like “for” and “the” in attack titles. [-1 Point]
-Add “GX” to the attack name. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize your. [-1 Point]
-Italicize (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)”. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 14/20
Lucky-ish Egg is quite a quirky and kinda cool attack. The other ones, however, have basically been seen before in the past.

The wording for this card is really quite clean. Just nail a couple of details about how GX attacks work and you’ll do great.

Believability: 6/15
For only two attachments of a DCE, you can be doing 200 damage by Turn 2. That’s absolutely insane, especially because the potential consequence of Egg Bomb is countered by the fact that Blissey is a 250 HP behemoth. Additionally, if you ever run into a bad matchup, you can always turn it into a 50-50 just by using Risk It For the Biscuit GX, which you should be able to set up against most decks (Garb might be needed for shutting down Lycanroc, but it would also help rid Blissey of its ability). Finally, the card doesn’t actually have a type on it, which creates a good amount of potential issues.

Edited: -2

Final Score: 29/50

The card is nice and polished up, which is quite good. In the future, just try to really infuse some new energy in your effects and know your mechanic/format a tiny bit more.

2. @Anime Psyclone
Wording Errors:

Battle Bond:
-Insert “Pokémon’s” after your. [-1 Point]
-Replace “deal” with “do”. [-1 Point]
-Note that you are dealing more damage to “your opponent’s Active Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Note that this damage buff occurs “(before applying Weakness and Resistance)”. [-2 Points]
-Decapitalize “card”. x2 [-1.5 Points]
-Delete “and draw a card”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “That card is the new Prize Card.” with “Then, take a card from the top of your deck and put it face down as your Prize card.”, like Rotom Dex SUM 131. [-3 Points]

Aqua Blade:
-There’s no reference on this kind of effect, but I’d hypothesize that you would want to note that you would only draw a card and attack this turn. [-0 Points]
-Replace “deals” with “does”. [-1 Point]

Strike of the Ninja GX:
-Delete “the attack knocks out the”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “Defending” with “your opponent’s Active”. [-1 Point]
-Accent e in Pokémon. [-1.5 Points]
-Insert “is Knocked Out” at the end of the second sentence. [-1 Point]
-Replace “this attack knocks out a” with “Knock Out 1 of your opponent’s”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “Do not” with “Don’t”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “draw” with “take”. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize “card”. [-.5 Points]

Creativity: 16/20
There are a lot of ideas with potential here. Battle Bond is interesting (though misses out on relating to the game) and Aqua Blade is very clever and I’m shocked we haven’t seen anything like it before. Strike of the Ninja, however, is a bit boring.

Wording: 0/15
There’s a ton of cases where you would just be helped but one simple reference to tell you how to write something. Just try to search for all the precedent you can find with the cards.

Believability: 3/15
Battle Bond has no indication of when you should flip a coin. Should it be when it’s evolved, once a turn, when you KO an opponent’s Pokémon, etc.? The HP is also incredibly low for a Stage 2 GX, coming in lower than Ash-Greninja EX. Strike of the Ninja also has quite a high energy cost. It’s a bit nitpicky, but there’s no specific reason or this card to be Ash’s Pokémon, and the era you’re faking in doesn’t have any cards with this mechanic. This card also has no Weakness, Resistance, or Retreat Cost. -2 Points for having a ‘Dex Entry on a GX and no GX rule.

Final Score: 19/50

You have some good creative ideas flowing here! Just take some more time to reference wording and check the balance of your card and you’ll do well.

3. @Lord Goomy
Wording Errors:

Keeper of the Trees:
-Replace “has” with “gets”. [-1 Point]

Quick Blades:
-Replace “one” with “1”. [-1 Point]

Forest Flying GX:
-Replace “one” with “1”. x2 [-1 Point]
-Treat is definitely not the right word to use in this case. There’s no precedent on what is, but treat is only used to refer to coin flips. [-0 Points]
-Italicize “(You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)”. [-1 Point]

Keeper of the Trees is a very fun ability and a good idea. Quick Blades and Forest Flying both have a nice gimmick to them, but it’s repeated on this card and the effects aren’t too exciting otherwise.

Your wording was very clean and all you really made was just small mistakes. Good job!

Believability: 10/15
Quick Blade is expected to do a large 130 damage for only 2 energy, and if it doesn’t, you’re getting to switch to a less valuable target (including a non-GX so your opponent can only take one prize card). Forest Flying has that same switching capability, but on an incredibly powerful snipe. For context, the ACE-SPEC card G Scope from the late BW era had similar limited use capability, but only dealt 100 damage, cost 3 energy, and couldn’t be affected by Weakness. This represents an extreme power creep from that point.

Final Score: 35/50

You did well in every category, but not great in any. Try to really take just a bit more time with your card next time, so you can hone it to perfection.

4. @Pikaboy333
Wording Errors:

Ice Claw:
-Capitalize attack names. [-1 Point]
-Put a period after coin and capitalize if. [-1 Point]
-Add a comma after “heads”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “opponents” with “opponent’s”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “the” with “your”. [-1 point]
-Insert “Active” before “Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Pokémon. [-1 Point]
-Accent e in Pokémon. [-1 Point]
-Insert “now” between “is” and “Paralyzed”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Paralyzed. [-1 Point]
-Add a period after “Paralyzed”. [-1 Point]

Dragon Tail:
-Capitalize attack names. [-.5 Points]
-There’s no such thing as a DCE in an attack cost. Instead, it needs to be [C][C]. [-1 Point]

Freeze Shock GX:
-The damage for the attack should be “200x”, not just “200”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “times the number of” with “for each”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Energy. [-1 Point]
-Energy is “Energy” when attached, it’s an “Energy card” when not. [-1 Point]
-Replace “opponents” with “opponent’s”. [-.5 Points]
-Add a period after “pile”. [-.5 Points]

Creativity: 9/20
Ice Claw has been seen a million times before and Dragon Tail is just vanilla. Freeze Shock GX is actually pretty unique, but that’s about it.

There are a ton of mistakes that could just be fixed by looking at a simple reference. There’s really no excuse for this when you can just copy an effect like Ice Claw’s off of one of the 1,000,000 cards with that exact effect.

Believability: 0/15
A one energy attack for 50 damage on what can be assumed to be a (strangely 250HP) basic is quite powerful. The GX attack is also only useful as a very specific meta counter against a type that isn’t competitively viable, making it not make much sense overall. Also, in the TCG, the type is Lightning, not Electric. It also doesn’t note that it’s a Basic, which means you physically aren’t able to play it. The GX attack also has no cost listed. -1 Point for no GX Rule.

Final Score: 9/50

Well, I always thought Kyurem was overdesigned, but at least they put enough time into it to check it against past creatures in terms of balance and fitting simple standards of things as simple as wording. This just completely misses the mark.

5. @rainyman123
Wording Errors:

Serene Grace:
-Delete “would”. [-1 Point]

The Luckiest Punch:
-“Before doing damage,” is not needed. [-1 Point]
-Move “for each heads” to the end of the sentence (this is a recent change made in SuMo). [-1 Point]

Creativity: 19/20
Serene Grace is quite new and a very smart effect of yours to create. The Luckiest Punch is similarly nice, and plays off of effects we’ve seen before, but in a new and very smart combination. There’s also quite fun synergy in this. All-around spectacular creativity.

This wording is really well done and clean. Just be sure not to insert and of your own words in there. Great job!

Believability: 8/15
There is one huge issue with this one: the fact that Serene Grace can stack and create a complete monster. Though Malamar-GX is the obvious partner, some other great partners that can attack with only one energy include Klink STS (KOs Gardevoir GX with 3 Chansey in play), Pancham FUF (KOs Zoroark GX with 3 Chansey in play), and Fearow XY57 (does 200 damage with 4 Chansey in play). The meta would then be forced to revolve around shutting down Chansey or losing, which is very unbalanced for a Pokémon that can still evolve.

Final Score: 39/50

It really is a shame that you didn’t include something that limited you to only one Chansey using Serene Grace per turn in the effect. If you did, this would be a 46 point masterpiece and a shoe-in for the winner of this month.

6. @Sup3rTaco
Wording Errors:

Victory Parade:
-Replace “when” with “whenever”. [-1 Point]
-Insert “Energy card,” before “card”. [-1 Point]
-Insert “Trainer” between “Energy card,” and “card” and a comma after the second “card”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Ability. [-1 Point]
-Insert “for” after “except”. [-1 Point]

Energy Assault:
-Replace “every” with “each”. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize Basic. [-1 Point]
-Replace “place” with “put”. [-1 Point]

Final Gambit GX:
-Specify that both “of them” are heads/tails. x2 [-1.5 Points]
-Capitalize Knock Out. [-.5 Points]
-Delete “to be”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Knocked Out. [-.5 Points]
-Move “Knocked Out” between “opponent” and “chooses”. [-1 point]
-Replace “Knocked Out” with “Knocks Out”. [-1 Point]
-Delete “chooses”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “one” with “1”. x2 [-1 Points]
-Capitalize Active. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Confused. [-1 Point]
-Delete “requirement”. [-1 Point]

Other:
-Replace “two” with “2” in the GX Rule. [-.5 Points]
-Capitalize Knocked Out in the GX Rule. [-.5 Points]
-Decapitalize cards in the GX Rule. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 17/20
Victory Parade is a great idea that I wish they’d put on real cards. Energy Assault I feel the same about, and Final Gambit is very unique and interesting.

The general phrasing and clauses are actually quite fine for the most part. The main issues come with things where you could fix by looking at the “Common Wording Errors” compilation.

Believability: 11/15
The effects are typical of a Victini: quite high-power to make up for low HP. That’s perfectly fine, though Victini’s HP is a bit low based on the example of Marshadow that we have in this generation. The exactly 9 Pokémon requirement, additionally, is quite strange and not something that would be created (without specific reasoning for such, which Victini doesn’t have). It’s also unsure what you actually do without the coin flips. Do we assume both were heads, does it just do 70 damage, is it something else? A more clarity there would be quite helpful.

Final Score: 28/50

It’s very sad that the wording was so riddled with small mistakes, as I thought you did really well otherwise. Just look into fixing those and you’ll do great next time.

7. @Blakers
Wording Errors:

Bad Luck Charm:
-Replace “Whenever” with “If”. [-1 Point]
-When in an Ability, you need to note that it’s specifically “an opponent’s attack”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “place” with “put”. x2 [-1.5 Points]

Lone Fighter:
-The damage for the attack should be “30+”, not just “30”. [-1 Point]

Bad Luck Charm is a fun effect, just adding some more chaos to the picture. Lone Fighter feels like something we’ve seen before, but it’s actually quite new and interesting.

Wording: 9.5/15
There are just a lot of small disagreements with the word choice Pokémon uses. Check with a couple more references next time.

Believability: 12/15
It’s definitely a good deal above the power level of an NFE basic to possibly be doing 80 damage for a DCE (and still do a pretty large amount of damage for an NFE even if the condition isn’t satisfied). I also feel like there’s quite low risk to using Bad Luck Charm, since you can choose where to place the damage counters, making it be able to be nullified or placed in a useless location pretty easily.

Final Score: 38.5/50

This is definitely the best card I’ve seen from you, Blakers! You were clearly inspired and it paid off! For next time, just check wording a bit more.

8. @RisingRaichuu
Splash Away:
-Accent e in Pokémon. x2 [-1.5 Points]

Giga Impact has been seen before, but Stealth Rock is just such a clever effect. It’s really well designed and correlates quite well with the annoyance it provides in the games.

Wording: 13.5/15
It’s really completely clean except for that tiny little detail. Great job on that!

Believability: 11/15
Stealth Rock may have a bit high power, but at the same time, fossils tend to be a bit OP as part of their whole gimmick. The recent change to the mechanic, however, may make a card like this slightly above the power level in an era when decks with cards like Zoroark GX play so many cards in a turn. The Retreat Cost is also high for Rampardos. -2 Points for no ‘Dex Entry or Stats.

Edited: -2 Points

Final Score: 36.5/50

It’s really a pretty cool card. Just try to make your effects a bit more new exciting than Giga Impact and you’ll do great.

9. @Professor_jplap
Wording Errors:

Other Dimensionly Call:
-Dimensionly isn’t a word. Dimensional would likely be the best choice here. [-1 Point]
-TPCI formats set names as “Sun & Moon—Ultra Prism”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “the” with “this”. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 9/20
Dragon Claw is obviously vanilla and weighs down the card a ton, but Other Dimensionly Call has a very fun and likable method of randomization.

Just be sure to check a couple more simple references before submitting and you’d be perfect this time.

Believability: 6/15
The big issue of this one is that it becomes very pay-to-play, and as much as TPCI loves their money, there would be way too much outrage to ever consider that kind of luck-based effect.Just imagine the problems this would create in a tournament setting if somebody didn’t bring enough packs with them! In addition, there’s about 1/75 chance of pulling a Giratina Prism Star in a ULP pack, making this effect a very low success probability and way too expensive of an attack cost to work. Also, 80 damage for just a DCE is completely ridiculous. Finally, every Giratina ever printed has some type of weakness and I don’t see any reason for it to change now. -1 Point for no ‘Dex Stats.

Final Score: 27/50

You have the fundamental wording down pretty well. Just try to expand your effects and consider power a bit more closely for next time.

10. @VioletValkyrie
Wording Errors:

Reaping Clutch:
-There’s no reason for drawing your cards first; delete “(You draw your cards first.)”. [-1 Point]

Cries for Forgiveness:
-Delete “in this way”. [-1 Point]

Reaping Clutch you know has been seen before as a Supporter. Cries for Forgiveness is pretty unique though, with a lot of interesting interplay between the effects.

Pretty clean. The only issues were just combining the references you found, which shouldn’t be too hard to fix in the future.

Believability: 10/15
Despite what everybody has been saying, it’s not as broken as it seems, since you still need to be revealing other Pokémon, which would require work to consistently get a Duskull out and powered up. Even then, it wouldn’t be getting a KO every time (unless maybe early game in a Vespiquen deck), but is still dealing out quite high numbers for one energy for a Pokémon which can still evolve twice. -1 Point for no ‘Dex Stats.

Final Score: 37/50

Really, the big issues with this card could have been fixed if it was a Dusclops or Dusknoir. Just consider power relative to the stage in the future, along with adding some new twists instead of recycling an effect.

11. @Zero Umbreon
Wording Errors:

Soul Burning:
-Replace “when” with “whenever”. [-1 Point]

Cascading Flame:
-Delete “a card from”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “top of” with “top card of”. [-1 Point]
-Delete type. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize energy. [-1 Point]

Inferno Torrent GX:
-Replace all with each. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize Except. [-1 Point]
-Add a for between “except” and “[R]”. [-1 Point]
-Delete type. [-.5 Points]
-Replace one with 1. [-1 Point]
-Add a period after “game”. [-1 Point]

Creativity: 15/20
Soul Burning is a really sweet idea which I like a ton and Cascading Flame is a really fun way to play around with typical effects. Inferno Torrent has, unfortunately, basically been seen before.

Wording: 2.5/15
Unfortunately, you’ve got a lot of tiny differences from Pokémon’s word choice of how cards are worded. This just needs some more time looking at the specific word-by-word details of references.

Believability: 13/15
There has never been a Stage 2 GX with less than 230 HP, let alone 200, and there’s no reason for Chandelure to have such low HP. -1 Point for no GX Rule.

Final Score: 30.5/50

You just got caught by a lot of deceptive errors this time. Just take a bit more time to look at a bit more references and you’ll be a big contender!

12. @DashKing
Wording Errors:

Otherworldly Blessing:
-Italicize (before your attack)”. [-1 Point]
-Italicize (before applying Weakness and Resistance)”. [-1 Point]

Pure Spark:
-Delete an. [-1 Point]
-Replace “card” with “Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “the attack” with “any attack”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “attacks” with “attack”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize Abilities. [-1 Point]
-Replace “in the” with “as your”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “position” with “Pokémon”. [-1 Point]

Thousand Arrows of Pain and Life:
-Decapitalize basic. [-1 Point]
-Replace “attached to” with “from”. [-1 Point]
-”If you can’t… this attack does” clauses were removed in SuMo. [-2 Points]
-Capitalize Benched. [-1 Point]

-There are more mistakes than just these, but there’s a lot of this insanely long effect to go and I frankly don’t have the time to go through all of them. If you really want me to tell you all of them, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Otherworldly Blessing is actually a pretty interesting effect, as is Pure Spark. Thousand Arrows of Pain and Life is as convoluted as the name would make you believe, though interesting in its own right.

It’s actually gotten a good deal better than before, Dash. There are still a lot of mistakes, but I can actively see you using references a lot in your cards. Just be more precise in integrating references together and keep up what you did in Otherworldly Blessing and you’ll keep getting better.

Believability: 0/15
First things first, there’s nothing explicitly wrong with the balance of this card. The Giratina, however, allows you to potentially draw basically your whole deck after you’ve used Pure Spark with just the help of one handy Max Potion. That’s absolutely insane. Way too many effects in this card, additionally, don’t really have a raison d'etre based on official canon and are really just making it more convoluted. For example, the Prize Card Bench vs Active thing in Pure Spark just makes the card longer and more confusing for no reason. Same goes for an effect that has so many steps, like Thousand Arrows of Pain and Life. There’s also nothing that tells me how long the damage boost from Otherworld Blessing will last. Finally, the high Retreat Cost and lack of weakness are different than typical Arceus for no particular reason. -1 Point for no ‘Dex Entry.

Final Score: 14/50

I think the largest issue with this card is honestly the extreme length. I feel like adding details just for the sake of it really hurt you in all three categories. Next time, just try to pare it down to what you need, to get a creative and clever effect that doesn’t look insane.

13. @Jadethepokemontrainer
Wording Errors:

Striking Steel:
-Delete “(before you attack)”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “players” with “player’s”. [-1 Point]
-Capitalize energy. [-1 Point]

Call to Arms:

Striking Steel is a very intriguing and unique effect, which is super interesting. Call to Arms feels like something we’ve seen before, but the new twist you put on it is quite good.

There are just a couple of mistakes that are pretty common errors. Look at the “Common Wording Errors” compilation and you’ll get most of them down.

Believability: 14/15
Though it may be strange to look for Metal energy in an opponent’s deck, I suppose it can mill it in the process. Otherwise, everything checks out. -1 Point for no ‘Dex Stats.

Final Score: 41/50

You did pretty well, Jade! All of your categories are pretty good, so just try to work on taking them to the next level.

14. @TheFlyingPidove
Wording Errors:

Bird’s Luck:
-Replace “each” with “the attacks”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “Pokémon’s” with “Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Delete attacks. [-1 Point]

Birdday Celebration:
-Add “of your Benched” between each and Pokémon. [-1 Point]
-Delete “on your Bench”. [-1 Point]

Bird’s Luck is pretty new and interesting, though nothing particularly special. Birdday Celebration isn’t really that new.

Most of your clauses are correct, but the details of how you put them together are in this case from older references rather than newer ones. Be sure to find the most recent one you can.

Believability: 12/15
When you see how much a card like Deoxys EX was used in its era, it’s worrying to see a card with a quite similar effect that only takes one prize (though is more vulnerable to bench snipe damage, I suppose) on a Pokémon that still can evolve twice. Keep in mind that cards like Ho-oh GX can get damage boosts as it currently stands.

Final Score: 34/50

Unfortunately, the card came up pretty short this time TFP. Try to get some real exciting and new effects next time like I know you can.

15. @Tails
Wording Errors:

Cat Meeting:
-Replace “place” with “play”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “Cathy’s Meowth” with “this Pokémon”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “as a Benched Pokémon” with “from your hand onto your Bench”. [-1 Point]
-Decapitalize Deck. [-1 Point]
-Replace “in your Deck” with “as you like”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “show them to your opponent” with “reveal them”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “place” with “put”. [-1 Point]
-Replace “in” with “into”. [-1 Point]
-In SuMo, “Shuffle your deck afterwards.” has been replaced with “Then, shuffle your deck.” [-2 Point]

Golden Coins for Meowth:
-Replace “re-flip” with “ignore the results of a coin flip and flip that coin again”, like Victini GUR 10. [-2 Points]
-Replace “cannot” with “can’t”. [-1 Point]

Beckoning Paw:
-Replace “times the number of” with “for each”. [-1 Point]

Cat Meeting is good support and interesting, Golden Coins for Meowth is a very nice way of incorporating a counter into a card, and Beckoning Paw has great and interesting synergy with it.

Wording: 1/15
Unfortunately, the wording was severely hurt by two things. First, the wording got a bit lost in translation in the first effect from Yu-Gi-Oh to Pokémon. Second, you forgot to make a couple of changes from BWXY to SuMo. Just pay a bit more attention to that and you’ll do fine.

There’s no specific purpose for this card to be Cathy’s, and the era you’re faking in doesn’t have any cards with this mechanic. That being said, the card itself is balanced very well.

Final Score: 30/50

The score may not look very good, but I really enjoyed this card! Just work a bit on your eras of wording and come back with that amazing inspiration of yours and you’ll be a huge threat.

16. @Vracken
Wording Errors:

Amplification:
-Put a period after coin, and capitalize if. [-1 Point]
-I would want to say replace “cost” with “costs” (e.g. Florges BKT 103), but I can’t quite determine why the wording is that way and it isn’t present on any other cards. [-0 Points]

Infrasonic Waves:
-Delete then. [-1 Point]
-Replace “opponents” with “opponent’s”. [-1 Point]

Amplification is quirky and interesting, but Infrasonic Waves is the real star of the show. Using the difference of two dice is quite clever and certainly a smart way to go about things and improve the balancing of your card.

You got all of the big picture wording down quite well! Your only real issues are just simple mistakes with English grammar. Fix those and you’ll be perfect!

Believability: 13/15
How long would your Chatot’s attack costs be cheaper? This turn, as long as it is alive, until the end of the game, etc.? Balance-wise, though, it’s perfectly OK. The expectation for the difference of two dice rolls is slightly less than 2 damage counters on all of your opponent’s Pokémon, about in line with Tapu Koko but without some of its benefits like consistency, higher HP, and free Retreat Cost. That is enough to make up for the benefit that Amplification can provide you in unreliably lowering the attack cost (and no other Chatot are nearly good enough to make this broken).

Final Score: 42/50

This is a really fun card, Vrack! You clearly put a lot of thought into it and it paid off quite well!

17. @GekkisaiDaiNi
Wording Errors:

Jangling Keys:
-Accent the e correctly in “Pokémon” (as opposed to “Pokèmon”). [-1 Point]
-Move “for each heads” to the end of the sentence (this is a recent change made in SuMo). [-1 Point]
-When discarding a Pokémon, you also need to discard “all cards attached to it”. [-1 Point]
-When discarding a Pokémon, you also need to note that “(this does not count as a Knock Out)”. [-1 Point]

Locking Mechanism:

Other:
-Accent the e correctly in “Key Ring Pokémon”. [-.5 Point]

Jangling Keys is a very interesting effect with a pretty cool tie in to Klefki’s flavor and Locking Mechanism is very clever also! Definitely a lot of fun!

Wording: 9.5/15
Just check a couple more references and dodge some common errors and you’ll do better. I think if you had more time, you would have been able to do that.

I feel like there are much better forms of energy denial that take up less deck space than Jangling Keys and don’t have so much luck/clunkiness with finding evolutions, but when combined with denial like Locking Mechanism (which basically creates an auto-win against Metal), it makes this card a bit too strong.

Final Score: 40.5/50

Nice card you got there Gekki! Just give yourself more time to check that wording next time.

3rd Place: GekkisaiDaiNi’s keen Klefki, with 40.5/50 points.
2nd Place: Jadethepokemontrainer’s ebullient Escavalier, with 41/50 points.
1st Place: Vracken’s chivalrous Chatot with 42/50 points

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
mfw my little no-skill nfe card beats out all the fancy-pants Pokemon-GX with the foils and actual Photoshop skills

1487988937283.jpg

Never got the tag. XenForo sucks.

gg everyone, maybe I'll play in May but not likely

Yog

Rogue
Cheers for the feedback bb.

My idea was to have it be just that abusable, and yes, stackable :eek: I figure the drawback of it being a Stage 2 and not all that great by itself would make it worth the while getting it out. If you can find the right partner for it, you still have to dedicate all this deck-space to it. I figure it's on par with say, Metagross - but still a sizeable step behind a Gardevoir in terms of usability. Like once you get up and running it has the potential to be fab, but it'll be damn hard to get to that point.

The only really amazing partner should be the other Incineroar-GX, and then you are capped by having to split your count in deck between the two versions.

e.g., look at this new Ninetales - I am seriously looking forward to seeing how people try to make both work together.

Thanks!