Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2017 - Nationalites - Results Are Now Up!

Ayyyy I wasn't last this time! Top half of image-based, in fact, and I'm okay with that. Thanks for the critique @Jabberwock ! Though if I were to defend myself somewhere, it would be the retreat cost. A Basic Poké that can deal up to 140 damage at once seems like the kind of thing to me that would be asking for a top cost. But then again, you gave me 5/5 for Believability+Playability, so it obviously didn't bother you too much, lol.

Congratulations @aschefield101, @NinjaPenguin, all the other runners up, and everyone who got a score they were happy with!

Image-Based Results

braviary-gx-jpg.13114

Oh man. This card. Can’t say I’ve seen anything quite like that before, and it certainly got a chuckle out of me, so well played. You’ve managed to capture a goodly amount of American stereotypes, stuff them into a blender with a couple birds, and somehow get a Pokémon card out of it.

So, setting aside for a moment the amalgamation of references and whatnot that make up this card, it’s hard to justify a 300 HP Stage 1 that can swing for 100 for a DCE and lock your opponent’s attackers. For that reason, I can’t give you much credit for Believability. Fortunately, though, your imagination does seem to be running wild, which is the whole point of the Creativity score. Props for that.

Wording errors:
- Missing the “(before your attack)” clause in the Ability. [-2 points]
- Missing the accented “é” in “Pokémon”. [-1 point]

Fonts and Placement errors:
- You seem to be using the Weakness icons rather than attack icons for the attacks. They’re much too small. [-1 point]

Creativity/Originality: 14/15
(What can I say?)
Wording: 12/15
(A missing clause and é.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Attack icons.)
Believability/Playability: 0/5
(The day TPCi prints this is the day I eat my hat.)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(You, sir, have earned it.)
Total: 40/50

I'm sorry to inform you but I have actually won this contest and the zero points for believably was my final American stereotype joke. As for the 300 HP, the joke there was nothing is more powerful than America and clearly you can't fight against freedom. The rest I noticed when I clicked the submit button but I decided not to lose more points so I left it as is. Still I had a lot of fun making this card.

Wooo! Congrats to the winners! Glad to be a part of it
(one day, i'll win one :p)

I'm sorry to inform you but I have actually won this contest and the zero points for believably was my final American stereotype joke.

Not so fast, my cheeseburger-devouring friend! I'll have you know that Britannia rules on this day! (On the image-based front, at least)

If you wanna believe or not. But i actually wrote the english one first and basically translated that one into german

But hey i'm getting better at wording. 2 Point's at the time

Last edited:
Not so fast, my cheeseburger-devouring friend! I'll have you know that Britannia rules on this day! (On the image-based front, at least)

I see what you did there but I can't actually link America's theme song without getting an infraction.

@bbninjas I really want to know what you think of my card in detail. A group of my friends also would like to know.

@bbninjas I really want to know what you think of my card in detail. A group of my friends also would like to know.

My 'detail' may not match your definition, but my immediate impression was something like the following. There's a number of American references on there that I didn't really get, but the reference that did made me laugh audibly - and I seldom laugh audibly - was the "America Doesn't Retreat". Pity PCL is never actually going to make a card like that. Dx'

beautiful cards here y'all! Congrats to Asche and the 2nd + 3rd place winners and see yah next (well, this month since it's April now) month!

Me? Perfect wording and believability? I'm flattered. Thanks Luis <3 Congratulations to the lovely winners and good job to everyone!

My 'detail' may not match your definition, but my immediate impression was something like the following. There's a number of American references on there that I didn't really get, but the reference that did made me laugh audibly - and I seldom laugh audibly - was the "America Doesn't Retreat". Pity PCL is never actually going to make a card like that. Dx'

Oh, I see, lol. I'll do my best to explain them though those I showed the card to also laughed at the "America doesn't retreat" too. I really did myself up on that one because I felt it was a missed opportunity if I didn't do that. Where to start...

The artwork I drew I wanted to make a stereotype American Soldier where they have very large muscles, sunglasses, guns and women around them and the first person I though of was the video game character Duke Nukem, who is also a stereotype American so I decided to design Braviary after him though Johnny Cage and Street FIghter's Guile were close seconds. Of course Pidgeot girls because why not.

As for the card itself, the 300 HP is there because "no one has more stamina than American soldiers" so 300 was the right number. I also couldn't pass up a God joke so I decided to make it "send by God" instead of evolving it because America doesn't believe in evilution and all soldier are warriors of God so I killed two birds with one stone on that joke.

The Ability "Cause 'Murica" is in reference to America taking whatever it want's, like your oil or other resources and there's nothing you can do about it so I felt taking the opponent's resources was the closes way I could reference this while be appropriate in game. Wing of Freedom was interesting because through game mechanics, you can't place an effect like that on a Benched Pokemon but this also plays into my America joke because America does whatever it wants, even if it breaks rules and since freedom is a thing, fighting against it makes you a terrorist, which this card resist by 300 damage.

Democracy GX is just a way to put your opponent back to six prize cards but Democracy is a joke in itself because other countries don't want Democracy but screw you because America is going to give it to you anyway (and take your oil).

The Weakness to Democrats is because they don't like war, which is a threat to the Pokemon named after war. Those muscles need war! The Resistance to terrorist is because America doesn't negotiate with them and they can't hurt America and of course, America never runs from a fight and now that I think about it, neither does Braviary. Good one TPC.

I think I covered everything but I would like to see TPC/i make a unglued set of cards with just silly things.

Thank guys! I really had to rush it on the wording, so I'm shocked everything was good.
Now I have all the pressure to beat you guys next time.

Back