Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2018 - Unused Types ~ Official Judging is Now Up!

that ivy guy

Aspiring Trainer
Put me in for Image. It's been genuinely something like 7 years since I last fooled around in photoshop for fake TCG cards

that ivy guy

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, I got totally engrossed and finished it today. Tried to recreate the classic Arceus feel with some obligatory wacky gameplay twists:
7Y8fMuS.png

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
VioletValkyrie's Entry: Rayquaza Prism Star
July 2018 Create-A-Card: Unused Types

Rayquaza ♢ - Flying – HP160
Basic Pokémon

♢ Prism Star Rule: You can’t have more than 1 Prism Star card with the same name in your deck. If a Prism Star card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

【 Ability: Serpentine Gale 】
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may have each player put cards from their hand into the Lost Zone until they have 5 cards in their hand.

[FL][FL][C] Grand Quazar 100+
Discard as many cards attached to your Pokemon as you like. This attack does 20 more damage for each card discarded in this way. Then, discard all Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness: [L] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat: None

PokéDex Entry: Rayquaza is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years. Legends remain of how it put to rest the clash between Kyogre and Groudon.

JL2018CaC // VioletValkyrie
➤ Thoughts and Creative Process:
I went for something big, something mainstream. This one's gonna be quick.

I originally planned to make something like an Ice-type or a Ghost-type and make clever things with that and the ability, but then the attack name came to me, and I knew I had to use the name "Grand Quazar" as an attack. So what better to use it than Rayquaza?

The rest of it was pretty straightforward. Just some clever concepts for abilities and some cool-sounding effect names, and it all comes together. It's kind of simple, but it leaves me feeling good. I like this entry.

(As a side note, I'd like to give special thanks to messletters.com for supplying me with the text symbols I've been using, I've been using it for my recent entries to make the formatting look nice, but I wanted to give special attention to it this month because of having to write a Prism Star entry, and needing the proper symbol for Prism Stars to use for a text fake. If you're writing any kind of text or want to make your text entries look nice as well, check that out!)

See you next month, hopefully!

➤ References:
Marshadow [Sun and Moon: Shining Legends – 45/73]
Checking for wording on activating an ability from placing a Pokémon onto the Bench, as well as an ability dealing with hand manipulating.

Solgaleo-GX [Sun and Moon – Multiple Prints]
Small wording checks on discarding all energy attached to a Pokémon.

EDIT: This post has been edited, I'll take the edit penalty for my entry.

Last edited:

Nyora

A Cat
Anyone who doesn't understand the references better Get Lucky becuase unlesss your Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger than me your gonna be Burnin'.

Regirock HP 130 Rock
Basic Pokémon
regirock.gif

NO. 377 Rock Peak Pokémon HT: 5'07" WT: 507.1 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ Robot Rock
Each of your Regice, Regigigas, and Registeel in play is now a [K] Pokémon in addition to its existing types. If this Pokémon would be Knocked Out for any reason other than being Knocked Out by damage from an opponent’s Pokémon’s attack, you may move any cards attached to this Pokémon to your other Pokémon in any way you like. (You cannot move any Pokémon Tool cards from this Pokémon to your other Pokémon with Pokémon Tool cards attached to them in this way.)

[K] Contact 30
Search your deck for up to 2 [K] Energy and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck. This Pokémon is Knocked Out.

Regirock’s body is composed entirely of rocks. Recently, a study made the startling discovery that the rocks were all unearthed from different locations.

Weakness: Grass x2
Resistance: Flying -20
Retreat: 3
[K] = Rock

Nyan

She/They
Gah!

I'm entering, hopefully I can pull through this month. If I do, I can almost guarantee you it won't disappoint!

In for image~

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Note on my entry: I intentionally left "Plant Cloak" out of the card name. There will be no "Alex's Wormadam" of any cloak, so I don't think there's any need for it.

Oh my gosh, you made that art yourself? Absolutely precious. The Gym profile picture is wonderful too. This is fantastic.
Yeah, I almost always strive to create my own art for cards. For me, faking is a way of framing my art. However, I can't seem to stick with any set style and I've gotten into a habit of making art for cards instead of cards for art...

Thanks!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
TiersDx.png

Notes:
  • Welkin blanks are awesome. li>
    • Power balancing for custom blanks always feels really weird to me –– I've always used Welkin as a DP analogue, though, both in terms of power and in terms of wording, so we'll go with that. Just pretend EX's existed at the time. :p
    • Types aren't really based around specific gameplay styles anymore, but if they were I'd say Flying should be a control sort of playstyle that aims specifically to wreak havoc by moving stuff around. Other Flying-types might move Energy cards or Pokémon Tool cards, or even switch the Active and Bench around a bit. Tornadus-EX, obviously, moves damage counters.
  • Thanks to ...
    • @Zygarde for the Welkin blanks, including the Flying texture
    • @TylerRVG for the custom Energy symbols
    • @aschefield101 for the holosheets
    • Various official Pokémon wallpapers for the art

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
My Entry : (Stage 1) Evolves from Scyther Scizor HP100 (Bg)

Pincer Pokémon, Length: 5’11, Weight: 260.1 lbs.
(Bg) Rough Dive
Put 2 damage counters on 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon. Then discard an Energy attached to that Pokémon.

(Bg) (Bg) Battle Blades 20×
This attack does 20 damage times the amount of damage counter on your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

Weakness : (F) Resistance : Retreat Cost : (C)

This Pokémon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object it gets a hold of into bits.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Question: If I update only the artwork of my entry, will points still be deducted? I was thinking about taking another shot where Burmy doesn't blend-in so much with the background, hopefully one that will look better on the card's yellowish texture.

aschefield101

is behind you !
Question: If I update only the artwork of my entry, will points still be deducted? I was thinking about taking another shot where Burmy doesn't blend-in so much with the background, hopefully one that will look better on the card's yellowish texture.
Yar points would still be deducted, also hai all o/

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry. Went through multiple iterations, but it's finally done.

Lasarat_CAC_test_10.png

index.php

The type is Sunshine. I was originally going to have the attack inflict Energized (a custom Special Condition) but then I realized the theme is custom types, not custom Special Conditions. Anyway, like I said above, the card went through many iterations. I'd like to thank PMJ, R3DX, Jabberwock, and steffenka, who all helped me out fixing problems and/or balancing issues.

that ivy guy

Aspiring Trainer
That's because the file uploader on this forum doesn't work for me lmao.
Maybe use imgur or some other dedicated host, since for me, your image is broken. Not sure about others. Probably have to be logged in on the terraria forums in order for the image to load.