PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary (Congrats to the winners!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: July 2014 - Legendary [Results]

Congratulations to the winners this month!

May I just ask what was your reference when judging the ability for my card? I had a hard time actually finding something to go by and I find 'in' a strange fit. Also, I'm pretty sure I understand why but I'm just gonna ask, why 'Mega Evolved Pokémon' and not 'Mega Pokémon'? I figured it would be just 'Mega' because when referring to a Basic, Stage 1 or 2 Pokémon the card would just read Basic, Stage 1 or 2 like it is in the top left corner of the card.

Mora said:
I though Gill Sans was the right font family for almost everything with the Neo blanks. What are the right fonts? Is there a link to a guide or something?

Also, sorry about the copyright on the blanks. I just submitted something I had already done without really looking at it. I'll try to fix that going forward!
The HP should be Futura Heavy, and while the stats bar is Gill Sans Bold Italic, yours looks a little too wide. Try messing with the width and tracking.

A few people have made guides for my Neo Redux blanks, but they won't be as helpful to you since you're using other blanks.

Momaster12 said:

May I just ask what was your reference when judging the ability for my card? I had a hard time actually finding something to go by and I find 'in' a strange fit. Also, I'm pretty sure I understand why but I'm just gonna ask, why 'Mega Evolved Pokémon' and not 'Mega Pokémon'? I figured it would be just 'Mega' because when referring to a Basic, Stage 1 or 2 Pokémon the card would just read Basic, Stage 1 or 2 like it is in the top left corner of the card.

Funny enough, I remember looking up the reference, I must have missed it. :p About the first part, I guess that "to the amount of damage counters in your opponent's" could fit good as well. And for the attack, I took for reference the Gold Breaker attack, from Bouffalant DRX and Vaporeon PLF. That's why I'm more leaned to place "If the Defending Pokémon is a M-Pokémon-EX" in the attack.

Luispipe8 said:
Momaster12 said:

Funny enough, I remember looking up the reference, I must have missed it. :p About the first part, I guess that "to the amount of damage counters in your opponent's" could fit good as well. And for the attack, I took for reference the Gold Breaker attack, from Bouffalant DRX and Vaporeon PLF. That's why I'm more leaned to place "If the Defending Pokémon is a M-Pokémon-EX" in the attack.

Yeah, I figured the second part would be correct. But as for your first point, my question was why 'in' and not 'on'? Unless that was a typo because every Pokémon that refers to damage/counters uses 'on' like this Walrein. And my kind of guideline for the Ability was to establish how much is to be healed then what target. As shown by this Serperior and Mr. Mime. However, I can see where this is flawed with cards like this Maractus and Joltik.

Momaster12 said:
Luispipe8 said:

Yeah, I figured the second part would be correct. But as for your first point, my question was why 'in' and not 'on'? Unless that was a typo because every Pokémon that refers to damage/counters uses 'on' like this Walrein. And my kind of guideline for the Ability was to establish how much is to be healed then what target. As shown by this Serperior and Mr. Mime. However, I can see where this is flawed with cards like this Maractus and Joltik.

Oh, God, it IS a typo! D: How could I not notice? TT.TT It doesn't affect the score because you used neither, but still, blame the keybord with "i" and "o" next to each other. e.e And what I corrected you in the Ability was merely the order of the sentences, because as you wrote it is a little bit confusing that it inserts a huge sentence right where the damage should be. Imagine this:

"Heal damage equal to the damage your opponent's Active Pokémon had before being attacked by an evolved Pokémon that was evolved during the turn the Defending Pokémon was put into play(...) from this Pokémon."
*It's just a rendom sentence, don't pay much attention to it. :p

As you see, the longer the underlined sentence gets, the more easy it is to understand that the bolded part should really be before the underlined one instead of after it.

I hope I made my point. xD

Next month I will not do a Legend because I knew I screwed this one up. :p

Thanks for the advice though!

Congrats to the winners!

Hurray! \o/ *^5 PMJ*

Pick something really boring and lame for next month so I don't have to feel left out not being around for it. >_>

Luispipe8 said:
Momaster12 said:

Oh, God, it IS a typo! D: How could I not notice? TT.TT It doesn't affect the score because you used neither, but still, blame the keybord with "i" and "o" next to each other. e.e And what I corrected you in the Ability was merely the order of the sentences, because as you wrote it is a little bit confusing that it inserts a huge sentence right where the damage should be. Imagine this:

"Heal damage equal to the damage your opponent's Active Pokémon had before being attacked by an evolved Pokémon that was evolved during the turn the Defending Pokémon was put into play(...) from this Pokémon."

As you see, the longer the underlined sentence gets, the more easy it is to understand that the bolded part should really be before the underlined one instead of after it.

So the way you reworded it was the same exact length but just rearranged. Right. But now I'm confused as to what in the world you were trying to say with the length of the sentence and the bold part.

Congrats to everyone for participating and especially to the well-deserved winners, this month was very fun! =D

Momaster12 said:
Luispipe8 said:

So the way you reworded it was the same exact length but just rearranged. Right. But now I'm confused as to what in the world you were trying to say with the length of the sentence and the bold part.

Look the part of this quote in red, there I said exactly that. :p

And I meant that by placing the bolded part of it in the end makes it harder to understand. When it's before the underlined part, it's simpler.

I'm so glad to have finally made it to the upper 40s...after last month's big "Sunny" slipup, I was worried I'd never break 45.

August is going to be an especially busy month for me, so whatever the next theme is, I hope we find out soon - if I don't get my entry done by the first week, chances are I won't have time to later.

Momaster12 said:
Also, I'm pretty sure I understand why but I'm just gonna ask, why 'Mega Evolved Pokémon' and not 'Mega Pokémon'? I figured it would be just 'Mega' because when referring to a Basic, Stage 1 or 2 Pokémon the card would just read Basic, Stage 1 or 2 like it is in the top left corner of the card.

*cough*
That's directed at you and Luis, by the way.

Wow, I won the fan vote? I'm glad you guys liked it. Thanks everyone! :D

Anyway, congrats to PMJ, Athena, Keeper, SquirtleSquad, and HoC for winning, as well as everyone else for their fantastic entries! I really did love a lot of the ones you guys made this month. As always, can't wait for next month's CaC.

Wow, honestly can't believe I won! Haha!!! Congratulations to all the other winners :)
Thanks for your work judges :)
Keen for the next one! Trainers could be fun ;) hint hint... Haha!!!

Nice work to all the people who participated! I was hoping to get some comments on the punny attacks but never mind, thanks anyway :D

First time faking a card ._.
Well I guess I didn't do too bad
Anyway, my suggestion for next month
Teamwork!
Make 2 cards that are made to be played in a deck together, such as Electivire and Magmortar from Furious Fists.
We Wigglytuff are a friendly species, so this needs to happen
YOOM TAH!

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to everyone for participating! As always, if you have any questions regarding judging, feel free to let me know.

rev3rsor said:
Nice work to all the people who participated! I was hoping to get some comments on the punny attacks but never mind, thanks anyway :D
He didn't go overboard discussing them, but Luis did mention them at least! For what it's worth, I liked them.

Congratulations to PMJ, Athena, and Huderon of Canossa (+ having the most likes for image) for winning image-based and Keeper of Night and Squirtle Squad for taking text-based, and Machamp The Champion for getting the most likes in text.

Big thanks to the judges for working hard in judging each card and answering questions. We all appreciate it!

Next round will go up as soon as the banner is complete. Looking forward to meeting all you guys there!

Thank you all. Thank you, everypony.

CMP: The attack actually changes a lot if you change the wording. It does matter. Of course, attacking during your opponent's turn is not exactly something that's been done a whole lot (if at all), so it's natural to have it feel a little awkward. I felt weird writing it up, that's for sure.

I also like how we won in the image-based category but came in dead last for the fan vote. It seems the only one who liked our card was CMP. :x

See you all next month with a dragon, surely.

PMJ said:

Not with my art, sadly. My next few days are fulla prep and then Wednesday I'm flying off to Chicago for almost the rest of August. I won't have access to a scanner or software while I'm gone, so unless you feel like making a card off of my shitty MSPaint art, I'll have to be taking a break for next month.

Also, everyone hates us because we're popular. :(

Athena said:
PMJ said:

Not with my art, sadly. My next few days are fulla prep and then Wednesday I'm flying off to Chicago for almost the rest of August. I won't have access to a scanner or software while I'm gone, so unless you feel like making a card off of my shitty MSPaint art, I'll have to be taking a break for next month.

Also, everyone hates us because we're popular. :(

PMJ, please do that, it'll be hilariously good! :p

Back