Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: January 2018 - Grass Types ~ Update: Image-Based Finally Up!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I didn't think I'd have time this month. But surprise surprise, I do! So I'd like to enter. Also, here is my entry :v

8J4s2ir.png

I never really understood Decidueye's Ghost typing. I mean, I get the sniper under cover of darkness stuff, and even the extinct owl references - but that is not enough to qualify for Ghost type imo. But here we are, and it was enough to get my cogs turning.

I like in the TCG that that placing of damage counters is a very Ghostly thing to do, and I like the regular Decidueye-GX snipe ability, so I got to thinking about how those two could be combined in a [P] type Decidueye. I came up with this (very possibly waaaay too OP) GX attack. With three [G] type Decidueye on the bench, and this fella in the active, you could very quickly and easily get yourself into a position where you can sweep the entire bench in one attack.

I had to tone it down a bit so I did limit it to just the Bench and not anywhere at all :v I also gave it a pretty horrible attack cost on both attacks (which can be lowered with Dimension valley in Expanded of course).

But the biggest tempering of it's power is simply having it also be a Decidueye-GX card. So you can only have four in the deck, and how do you maximise benefit from both the [G] and [P] types? It would be pretty difficult for sure. But on the plus-side, you get a mixed weakness deck a lá Gardevoir/Gallade, and of course you get to compress your mons since a 4-4-4 offers you multiple strategies and you don't need to mix lines of two different Stage 2s. I guess Lycanroc Day & Night forms does this a bit, but the cards don't particularly compliment each other to the point where it's worth trying to make it work. I think with this card, it would certainly be worth a try, and would be a new (old) type of build we haven't seen in a while. Could work with these alt type cards we'll be seeing more of too.

Also it gets slammed by Zoroark and a full bench :cry It would lead to some interesting strategy though. As an opponent, you will be trying not to ever let the damage on your bench mount to half your total HP or you are in trouble, so there are reasons to both fill your bench and keep it empty.

The ability is the same as the recent Spiritomb. A decent ability, that can easily be played around - but would be very beneficial if it were on a card that can actually do some damage too. Especially in a snipe deck. The second attack is similar to Trevenant XY. A little more powerful to scale up to today's standards, but again with an awkward attack cost because the card already has a lot going for it.

The attack names are terrible archery puns :p And Decidueye's Z-Move seemed fitting for the GX attack considering what it does.

SM era card. References: Trevenant XY, Honchkrow GRI, Umbreon-GX, Spiritomb SLG, Oricorio GRI

These three stocks images combined for background:
https://darkdevil16.deviantart.com/art/Foggy-Forest-Stock-273653117
https://wyldraven.deviantart.com/art/Moon-STOCK-147754760
https://fairiegoodmother.deviantart.com/art/FGM-Premade-Background-048-309498743

This set of swooshes:
https://resources.psdbox.com/textures/colors-motion-light-textures-pack

And as ever, the wonderful Aschefield for template & symbols & font guide and all that good stuff.

Oh and the main render of Decidueye is official stuff from the Pokken games : https://i.imgur.com/Si0LNfS.png

Anything else you see in there is my own Photoshopping.
C'mon Yog, you got my hopes up with that spoiler title. Can't believe you're making us all settle for Decidueye instead. :U

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry I won't be able to finish, I completely forgot the date and I'm out all day at prerelease. If I have to take the penalty that's ok.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Woo this isn't last second or anything... what is it with me and always being so late?
Anyway, time for a blast from the past in the good "old" XY era.
Basic\Gogoat EX\HP 170\Grass

gogoat.gif

Ability: Crazy Munching
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may discard a card attached to this Pokémon.

[G][G][G] Reckless Taxi 100
You may switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon with his or her Active Pokémon. If you do, your opponent may switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon and put 4 damage counters on this Pokémon.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
This card is very explicitly supposed to be printed in Primal Clash, to go with the cards in there. At that time, a few decks had separated themself from the rest: Seismitoad-Slurpuff, Landorus variants, Donphan, Virizion Genesect, and Yveltal variants. I'm gonna focus here on two of them. First up is Seismitoad Slurpuff. With a combination of item lock, deadly trainers, and those obnoxious Team Flare Tools, there was little you could do to set up against it. Next up is Yveltal, which everyone knows as the menace that did more damage for more energy attached to both Pokemon. At this time, it was generally paired at this time with Seismitoad and Garbodor.
In Primal Clash, a couple new and important cards were also introduced: Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon, and Wailord. The first two were deadly attackers; the second a quite powerful stall deck.
Now then, why should you care at all about this? This card just so happens to be built for this meta.
Crazy Munching, based off of the fact that goats can eat anything, allows you to remove those extremely pesky Team Flare tools and potentially even get you just out of Yveltal EX KO range. At first it might look simple and useless, but nothing like that has been in the TCG before (that I can tell).
Reckless Taxi is based off of the fact that Gogoat acted as a taxi in Lumiose City in Kalos. In this attack, it transports the defending Pokemon, admittedly while going a bit psychotic on the way and disobeying a speed limit or two. The switching effect may look OP, but with Rush In and Float Stone from Keldeo so common at the time, it wouldn't have that huge of an effect (since it happens after doing damage). In fact, giving your opponent a free Lysandre and damage on you would make it not worth the risk the majority of the time. At the same time, the attack gets a KO on Seismitoad and Garbodor and gets the KO on Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre with a Muscle Band.
All of this would likely give it a positive matchup against about half of the format, and a mediocre at best one against the rest of it.
Goodra FLF, Lysandre, Alakazam EX, Switch

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I am extending the deadline by 24 hours from the timestamp of this post, since I did want to post a reminder a bit earlier than I did.

Nyan

She/They
Leafeon_GX_EX.png
Woah!
Well, my initial idea for this month was definitely not Leafeon-GX. My initial blank idea was also not this. But, then things happened and I made this. So basically, I accidently put a GX blank in front of a regular blank, and the look reminded me of EX mons ala BWXY-era. I fell in love with the look of it, and then put this blank together. Not really knowing what to use, I kinda just started to mess with the Leafeon art from ULP and then decided to use it. This card was a hassle to make, but i'm really amazed at how well it came out. Credits to asche for the blank, which I, of course, messed with a bit, and the artwork is the Ultra Prism wallpaper artwork for Leafeon.

An interesting one this month!

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Here it is. I'll come out with inspiration and honorable mentions for my idea later.
Back to that,
References go to the video games for the true synthesis and Torterra's defense stat as well as the current turn of the TCG for Sinnoh.
Honorable mentions go to Sceptile GX(planned for my first entry but never did it), Venusaur GX, Shaymin GX, and Mow Rotom GX.

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Tropius ◇ – [G] – HP 90 HP
Basic Pokemon

◇ (Prism star) rule
You can't have more than 1 ◇ card with the same name in your deck. If a ◇ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

Ability: Forbidden Fruit
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may put 1 card from your Lost Zone into your hand. If you do, put this Pokémon into the Lost Zone.

[G] Gusty Flap
Discard the top 3 cards of your opponent’s deck

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
what happened, and why cant I vote for the best fake here?
I believe that Edwin's card did not meet the requirements because Genesct is a bug type, not a grass.

Good luck to everyone this month! I'm sad I had to drop, but looking forward to see who wins :D

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
what happened, and why cant I vote for the best fake here?
The entry didn't meet the theme requirements for this month; after Edwin and I discussed it, he decided to just drop out. That doesn't mean you can't simply enjoy looking at it, though! ^.^

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results
You have spoken and the results are in!

Image-Based:
1st:
@TheNyanCatXD- Leafeon-GX - 25 points
2nd: @Jabberwock - Shaymin - 19.5 points
3rd: @Yog - Decidueye-GX - 15 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@VioletValkyrie - Abomasnow-GX - 13 points
2nd: @GekkisaiDaiNi - Budew - 6 points
3rd: @Tails -Sunflora - 5.5 points
4th: @P3DS - Tropius ◇ - 5 points

Congratulations to the winners of the fan voting! The official judging is coming along rather quickly, so you should seem them published in the near future. Otherwise, join us in the February competition to celebrate one year since the Create-A-Card reboot!

Yog

Rogue
I should really start being a little more self-serving and vote for myself :v

Cheers for the nod, looking forward to full results!

Yog

Rogue
Any sign of feedback happening for this? I have been holding off on deciding to enter Februarys since I have a similar concept and I don't want to just lose points for the same mistakes.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
We are just waiting on the finalising of the image-based judging, so we should be able to get up your's and everyone else's official critique up in the near, near future!