Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: February 2017 - Alola Pokedex - Results Are Up!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I have the image, it's that I can't find the artist. I'll try again and see if I can find it. Well... I found the deviantArt page. Problem is, the last post on it was in 2010 XD. Not even sure if the artist is active anymore. I'll post and see.

I don't know why I couldn't find the artist the first time I tried a google search, lol. It was pretty easy this time.

I've talked with Pichu90 over the past few years and he has become inactive on art sites I know of. You may want to look for another image, find someone who can draw it for you or draw it yourself. You could also use a clip from the Pokemon anime and just credit them but I'm not sure how that would work.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I've talked with Pichu90 over the past few years and he has become inactive on art sites I know of. You may want to look for another image, find someone who can draw it for you or draw it yourself. You could also use a clip from the Pokemon anime and just credit them but I'm not sure how that would work.

The artist is Blood-Asp0123, and he made a fantastic Gengar piece. I've posted a reply on the page, but haven't gotten a reply yet. His last deviation was on Jan 23, so it looks like he's still active. I might just use an anime clip, though. Would save some time.

EDIT: I think the normal procedure for anime clips is to just credit 'Pokémon,' but I'm not sure.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The artist is Blood-Asp0123, and he made a fantastic Gengar piece. I've posted a reply on the page, but haven't gotten a reply yet. His last deviation was on Jan 23, so it looks like he's still active. I might just use an anime clip, though. Would save some time.

EDIT: I think the normal procedure for anime clips is to just credit 'Pokémon,' but I'm not sure.
I just took a look at his DeviantArt page, and it says he was last online 16 hours ago, so I wouldn't worry if I was you. :p

For Anime, Pokemon is the pretty standard credit, and Pokemon Anime works as well.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Ok, all Text-Based entries so far are drafted and I'm going through the early judging phase as of right now.

And why am I telling you this? Well, if you make an edit, it'll mostly be overlooked, so you might as well poke me to let me know and change that in my draft (and also reminding that it comes with a free -2 :v).

Let's fill those Image Based spots as well so Jabber can suffer the same that I will!

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Alright, gonna go with an anime clip for my entry. I'll post it tomorrow if the guy doesn't reply :v.

On second thought, I might wait a little longer. I need to look into fixing some things on my entry.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, I think it's time for me to post my entry. I'm pretty sure it's OP and won't win, but who knows. Lol.

14e80d214b.png

I do just have to include the logo down there, right? No need for a set index right?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
@SneaselGenesis; I noticed you post a text-based fake but ended up deleting the post. While there are no text-based slots open, would you be interested in participating in the image-based section? Now is a great time to learn, and we have a bunch of resources available for your use. ^.^

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Ah, what the heck, here goes nothing.

Salazzle-GX – Psychic – HP190

Stage 1 – Evolves from Salandit

Ability: Corrosion

As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, Pokémon on your opponent’s bench can be affected by one Special Condition by this Pokémon’s attacks.

[P][C][C] Flame Burst: 80 damage. You may choose one of your opponent’s benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is now Burned.

[P][C][C] Venom Drench the Bench GX: 50 damage. All of your opponent’s benched Pokémon are now Poisoned. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat: 1
So let's see if I did this right!

SneaselGenesis

Aspiring Trainer
Okay. I will enter the image contest. Here is my entry.

Note: Intended for the Base Set-Gym Challenge era.

Halas%20Hariyama_zpst3u5dfa2.png

Credit to icycatelf for the blank and energy symbols.

Last edited:

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Ah, what the heck, here goes nothing.

Salazzle-GX – Psychic – HP190

Stage 1 – Evolves from Salandit

Ability: Corrosion

As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, Pokémon on your opponent’s bench can be affected by one Special Condition by this Pokémon’s attacks.

[P][C][C] Flame Burst: 80 damage. You may choose one of your opponent’s benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is now Burned.

[P][C][C] Venom Drench the Bench GX: 50 damage. All of your opponent’s benched Pokémon are now Poisoned. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack a game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)

Resistance: none

Retreat: 1
So let's see if I did this right!

Not accusing you of anything just saying that ability looks kinda familiar to my Salazzle GX

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Yeah, I just noticed that when I checked out your set. I wish I could prove that I thought of this myself, and didn't copy yours. I'm sorry about that!:(

@bbninjas Due to the similarities between the cards, would it be ok if I redid my entry without a points deduction?

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Yeah, I just noticed that when I checked out your set. I wish I could prove that I thought of this myself, and didn't copy yours. I'm sorry about that!:(

@bbninjas Due to the similarities between the cards, would it be ok if I redid my entry without a points deduction?

Like I said I never accused you of copying, just pointing that out :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member

If you edit the entry, you would still recieve a point reduction. You shouldn't need to worry about similarities - it has happened before and if it was your own idea and not copied, then it's fine. :p

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
Just checking, is the Create-A-card contest going to be a monthly thing, or will it only occur on some months?

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Alright, I think I spent enough time working on my entry, Oricorio-EX. I wanted to design something that is both familiar and different that could be played in both Expanded and Standard, while keeping in mind cards that exist now to not break them. Anyway, here it is.

qqpggl.png
I wanted to design the Baile Style Oricorio to be high energy in spirit of the dance style it was inspired from. It was designed to be a glass cannon as the dancing is very energetic but usually leaves the dancer tired. I had to actually look up this kind of dancing to get an idea of how I wanted to make this card. One of the biggest problems I had while designing it was keeping Volcanion-EX from breaking it, since having a two energy attack that can be paid with a DCE with potentially have access to 120 more damage so I reduced the base damage from 60+ to 20+. For the actual attack, I wanted something powerful as well but something that can be played around if managed poorly. I noticed that hand sizes now in a competitive back and forth game tend to float around 3 to 6 cards at the end of a players turn so if there were a total of 8 cards in the hand of both players, this attack can do 130, not including any other outside buffs. I also kept Fighting Fury Belt and the new Choice Band in mind while making this card.

I also wanted the cards to do a bit more should they be swapped and this is where Nectar Set comes in. It allows them to gain their Ability for the turn and have their attacks do a bit more. This Oricorio can attach two more basic energy cards from your hand to one of your Pokemon and each Oricorio style does something different. To prevent this from being broken, I decided to make Nectar Set be usable once per turn, so you have to decide which one you want at that time. I also wanted this to play well with Ninja Boy so they don't get their effects if you put them into play that way but gives some interesting cheese with the two cards.

I also wanted the cards to looks like they would in real life so they are shiny. Now the Nectar Set card is just a bonus card I made for myself. I really do like how the Full Art Item cards look in Sun and Moon and I wanted to try to capture that look, since as a professional Photoshop user, I wanted to make it looks as nice as possible at the highest rarity. It isn't worth anything for the contest but I wanted a visual for Nectar Set.

From the very start of this project, I wanted each Oricorio-EX to have a swap play style since I feel it does them the most justice. I do have the other Oricorio-EX drifted and they are each unique in their own way for what they offer. As per usual, I did all the art for the cards myself and proof can be provided if anyone ask for it. Other design parts were a little hard to manage due to crashes, commissions and general things like weekly Pokemon leagues and such. I did enjoy making this card and I find Oricorio (explicitly the Pom-Pom one) super adorable. The hardest part was to find the right balance of the card because of Volcanion-EX so I did my best to not break it but we have single prize attackers that are more powerful than this card so I don't feel as bad.

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
How did you do the holosheets?! I wanted to do something like that on mine, but I couldn't figure it out. :O

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Here we go. Wanted to do something less flashy but I still think it might be a bit much. Been busy with life but managed to get this together with basically no knowledge of how Sun/Moon wording works!
MiniorHP90Fighting Type
Basic Pokémon

minior-core.png

[Ability] Shields Down
If this Pokémon has 4 or more damage counters on it, each of this Pokémon's attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance) and this Pokémon has no retreat cost.

[.] Starlight Signal
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may reveal a Trainer card you find there and put it into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck. This Pokémon does 10 damage to itself.

[F][C] Konpeito Bomb 20+
This attack does 30 more damage for each of your Benched Minior.

Weakness – Steel (x2)
Resistance – None
Retreat Cost – 1
I don't really know the format so I just wanted to make a card I'd enjoy using, with a Pokémon I like a lot. Shields Down is pretty self-explanatory, Minior becomes stronger and faster when its defences are low. Starlight Signal is there because the card felt a bit empty otherwise, and it's a fun utility attack with a drawback. Konpeito Bomb comes from Minior possibly being based on Konpeitou candy, as well as the general Self Destruct/Explosion movepool element. Wanted it to feel like the opponent is barraged by each Minior on your bench, but I don't know if it's too strong or not. With Shields Down and 3 Minior on the bench, it does 130 - with a Professor Kukui, 150, though I feel the HP90 makes it fair. Damn, the powercreep in SM sure was something. Hope my entry is okay!

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
How did you do the holosheets?! I wanted to do something like that on mine, but I couldn't figure it out. :O
Grab a foil effect pattern (or perhaps if you're feeling artsy, make one yourself!), and try playing around with different Blending modes and levels of transparency.

A tried and true method if you use Photoshop (I have no idea about anything to do with Gimp) -credit to aschefield101- is to do the following:
  • Take the Holosheet, and duplicate it so that you have three layers of it.
  • Set the top layer to "Color Dodge" and set the opacity to 70-100% (depending on background used.)
  • Set the middle layer to Color Burn and opacity 10-20%. (Again, depends on background used.)
  • Set the Bottom layer to Multiply and opacity 30-70%. This one is highly based on background used. The darker the initial background, the less opaque this layer should be. (aka closer to the 30% area).
Should look something like...
254- Sceptile EXPL.png

Last edited: