PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #3: Image-based winner: DXM147! Text-based winner: 47bennyg!

Zeto

Milotic
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #3: Summer Edition!

Oh god, I just missed the most awesome competition EVAAAAA!!!!
I will remember to log on pokebeach once a while... But obviously, there s a reason...

Anyway, too bad, all those cards looks cool! I really liked the Fan Rotom, it was... Unexpected.

The Fire Wyrm

Aspiring Trainer

Keeper Of Night said:
^ I'd take a flaming bug over a killer fan any day. :p

Who wouldn't?

By the way, there have only been like 3 fire types in the thread, two of them are volcarona lol.
Great minds think alike.

So bennyG, your statment is invalid.

47bennyg

Hmmmm

5 fire types if you include sunny day, a fire type move. Versus 1 Normal, 2 Electric, one Steel, 3 water including a trainer card that benefits water types, and one Ground. Fire holds a pretty nice plurality there :p

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Awesome entries, guys!

I'll get to judging them, but it might take a while. :p I couldn't be happier with the quality and creativity this round, though. Great work to everyone!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

CMP said:
I'll get to judging them, but it might take a while.

Patience please. =) Sb will be making a portal post about this on Thursday.

Judging 17 cards in the detail I do (by myself this round) while fitting in to a 50-hour work week takes some time.

DXM147

Gregghead

No problem! I just saw that the thread went onto the second page of the portal and I was just curious. Take your time CMP!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

CMP said:
Patience please. =) Sb will be making a portal post about this on Thursday.
I hope he steps it up a notch, because it's already a quarter to 10pm in my time zone and I still don't see it.

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member

In case you're wondering, the portal post was postponed (not by me) and it is going up tonight.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Text-Based

DNA

Ninetales - Stage 1 (Evolves from Vulpix) - 100 HP - {R} Type
Weakness {W} +20
Resistance {G} -20
Retreat Cost {C} (1)

Poké-Body: Sweltering Heat
Any damage done to the Active Pokémon by attacks from {R} Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's) is increased by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Any damage done to the Active Pokémon by attacks from {W} Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's) is reduced by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

{R}{R}{C} Inferno 60
Discard all {W} Energy in play. If you do, put 2 damage counters on each Pokémon that you discarded {W} Energy from for each Energy card you discarded from that Pokémon.

Creativity: 19/20
Ninetails’ access to the Drought ability in the VG makes it a very interesting choice for the summer theme! Both its attack and Body pair perfectly with this in-game ability. Great work!

Wording: 13.5/15
Not seeing anything majorly wrong here, but the way Inferno is worded sounds…off, though. Not sure if you need the “If you do,” clause…unless you added “You may…” I understand why you put it (in case there were no {W} Energies in play), but as I said, it sounds strange.

Believability/Playability: 14.5/15
100 HP just seems a little high – even in the more recent sets, Ninetails usually has around 90 HP. The 10 point difference isn’t enough to take off a full point, though.

Total: 47/50

Keeper Of Night

{W} Ludicolo: Stage 2 (evolves from Lombre) HP 140

Ability: Beach Party
As long as this pokemon has any {G} energy attatched to it, each of this pokemon’s attacks do +10 damage for each Lotad, Lombre, and Ludicolo you have in play.

{W} {W} Life Preserver 10
Remove from this pokemon the same amount of damage you did to the defending pokemon.

{W} {W} {W} {C} Ride-The-Wave 70
Does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s benched pokemon. Discard 2 {W} energy attached to this pokemon.

Probably due to high summer heat, many tend to go with Fire-types. I like how you strayed away from this, with a beach theme! The ability and attacks go great with the direction you took it. Well done!

Wording: 10/15
This is where the card falters a bit. While you have the general wording down, you must remember to ALWAYS capitalize Pokémon (and use an accented ‘e’), Energy, Defending, and Benched. Additionally, the “discard Energy” clause usually comes before the rest of the attack effect.

Believability/Playability: 13/15
I don’t see anything that could prevent the card from being made, despite the very heavy beach theme.

Total: 42/50

Fraxureking

Volcarona EX - HP 120 {R}
<>

Ability - Solar Diety
Once per turn, you may search your deck for a {R} Pokemon, and put it in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Ability - Burning Heat
Once per turn, you may search your deck for a {R} energy, and attach it to one of your Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

Creativity: 17/20
The Sun Pokémon was a nice choice, if a bit obvious! :p I like cards with just abilities, as I think it adds a cool touch. This would be a great set-up card!

Wording: 12/15
Try to remember the accented ‘e!’ Solar Diety should be worded: “Search your deck for a {R} Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.“ and Burning Heat should be worded: “Search your deck for a {R} Energy card and attach it to 1 of your Pokemon. Shuffle your deck afterward.” Always use numbers instead of spelling them out.

Believability/Playability: 12/15
Up until now, all EX Pokémon have been legendary and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Playability-wise, though, this would be a great asset to most Fire-type decks!

Total: 41/45

47bennyg

Mow Rotom - Lightning - HP100
Basic Pokémon

[L][C][C] Plasma Vine 30+
You may discard a [L] energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, this attack does 50 more damage.
[L][G][C][C] Mow the Lawn
This attack does 50 damage to each of your opponent's [G] Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

Creativity: 20/20
Definitely what I was looking for in regards to theme interpretation! I can’t think of many things more summery than the smell you described, and the second attack is great. Awesome stuff.

Wording: 14/15
Remember to capitalize Energy. Other than that, great!

Believability/Playability: 14/15
Not sure if I see a Rotom card with 100 HP, even with the large HP bumps in the BW-series.

Total: 48/50

9Tailz

Groudon - 140 HP - {F}
Basic

Ability - Drought
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, do 10 damage to each {G} type in play between turns (both your and your opponent's). All {W} type Pokémon's attacks do 20 less damage (both yours and your opponent's).

{F}{F}{C}{C} Evaporation Claw 60+
If the Defending Pokémon is a {G} type or {W} type, this attack does 60 more damage.

Weakness: {W} x2
Resistance: {L} -20
Retreat Cost: {C}{C}{C}{C}

Kind of an obvious choice, but not necessarily a bad one! I like how you brought both {G} and {W}-types into the card’s effects.

Wording: 13/15
In the future, please spell out Pokémon. Evaporation Claw should read: “If the Defending Pokémon is a {G} or {W} Pokémon, this attack does 60 more damage.” (see Cryogonal NV32)

Believability/Playability: 15/15
Everything is nice and fair. Seems like pretty good HP and damage. I could definitely see a card like this getting made!
Total: 45/50

Congratulations to [member]47bennyg[/member] for winning the text-based round! The interpretation was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, with great execution.

Scores for the image-based should be up ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator:

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #3: Text-based winner: 47bennyg!

Second place in text-based is cool by me! Grats, Benny! I loved yours most of all.

I understand why you put it (in case there were no Water Energies in play), but as I said, it sounds strange.
Go read Flygon RR (or Electivire LV.X MT) and you'll realize why I worded it that way.

47bennyg

Hmmmm

Thanks DNA and good job everyone! I love these competitions we need to do them more often!

MewMew

Really bad at the Metagame

Congrats to you Benny! Everyone did a great job! :D

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Image-Based

Nekoban Ryo

surfsparce_sml.png

Creativity: 16/20
I loved the nod to Surfing Pikachu, and surfing in general. When I think of summer and beach-related activities, surfing definitely is at the top of the list! The same nod to Surfing Pikachu, though, also is what took some points away as the attack isn’t too creative.

Wording: 15/15
An automatic 15/15 by default. :p

Fonts and Placement: 10/10
Everything looks like it checks out here! Nice work.

Believability: 4.5/5
As much as we all love Dunsparce, not sure this would ever happen. Then again, it’s realistic enough that, who knows, maybe it might!

Total: 45.5/50

RayquazaMaster

Creativity: 13/20
While I do love me some Feraligatr, and yeah, it’s a water Pokémon, I think you could’ve connected it a bit more to the summer theme through more themed attacks or something. I do love your international cards, though, so I gave a bonus point here!

Wording: 10/15
Because you used BW blanks, BW wording was required. Since this TCG-era began, the Pokémon name is never referenced in the attack text – it’s always “this Pokémon.” Therefore, Crocodile Tears should read something like: “If this Pokémon is affected by a Special Condition, this Pokémon's attacks do 10 more damage. Any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 20 (after applying Weakness and Resistance). Also, remember to capitalize Prize.

Fonts and Placement: 5/10
Fonts are incorrect, and placement looks off. Try making the font a little larger and spacing it out a little bit more so that all of the attacks aren’t bunched up at the top of the card.

Believability: 4/5
Again, as creative as the country cards are, I don’t foresee it happening. However, the Ability and attack seems like a possibility.

Total: 32/50

theGardener

6b67afcc27b1f7ae51705d70d1a77fea.png

I love the fact you chose a different route and went with a Trainer card – a custom blank TM card, no less! In-universe and very fitting for a summer theme. Great choice! Looks to me to be one of the winners in terms of creativity this round!

Wording: 13/15
Looks pretty good to me! I did notice some grammar/spelling mistakes, though. In the TM rule box, Pokémon isn’t capitalized as it is in the attack portion. Additionally, “during” is misspelled as “durring” in the attack, and instead of spelling out the number of damage counters to remove, the number should be put there instead.

I love this blank, and everything seems to fit where it is. I can’t find any faults.

Believability: 5/5
TM cards have been featured in the TCG before, and with the Item/Supporter/Stadium separation, I could see TMs making a comeback with their own type of Trainer card...

Total: 48/50

Charganium

charizard_sun_by_charganium-d57q4rp.png

Nice idea coming up with a new type of Pokémon to fit with the theme. However, as interesting as it was, it did seem a little forced and tacked-on. Regardless, the card has consistent solar/sun themes throughout, which is fitting.

Looks to be correct.

Fonts and Placement: 8/10
I know you use GIMP and not Photoshop so I can’t fault you too hard for the fonts looking a bit off. Placement and sizes look fine, though, so I chalk it up to the program itself. =) The sun symbol might look better if it was either all-black or transparent, though – the white is somewhat off-putting.

Believability: 3.5/5
Not sure if I see a new type of Pokémon like this coming out anytime soon. I could see a Charizard with attacks similar to this (minus the Pokémon-sun part and replaced with {R}-types or something in the Ability).

Total: 43.5/50

DXM147

mechatyranitar_by_dxm147-d587um4.png

Definitely the other creative winner here! I love the route you went, and how you applied it to the Pokémon world. Nice touch looking up the stats of Mecha Tyranitar from B2W2 as well. Great reference in the attack as well.

Looks good to me!

Looks pretty official.

While I’d love to see a Mecha Tyranitar card, I’m not sure it’ll ever happen.

Total: 49/50

47bennyg

rotom_bw_by_47bennyg-d58hxea.png

Summer is definitely hot…and fans are one way to keep cool! Great thinking here. Definitely out-of-the-box!

Wording: 14.5/15
Looks pretty good, except that Confused should be capitalized.

Fonts and Placement: 9/10
Everything looks pretty good, except the first attack name should line up with the second. Really nothing else to nitpick here.

Believability: 4.5/5
I could see a Fan Rotom card similar to this appearing in the TCG, although the Fan Rotom card already existing in the TCG had 70 HP.

Total: 47/50

MewMew

card.jpg

Nice idea, if a bit obvious (beach-theme).

Wording: 14/15
The part in parentheses should probably be italicized.

Fonts and Placement: 5/10
Something looks off – it doesn’t look like you used the proper fonts. Additionally, instead of using Energy symbols in card text, a black silhouette of the Energy type is used.

I guess this could be a real card, though I’m not sure if it would be limited to Water types if it were. Still, not a bad job!

Total: 40/50

Therefore, it looks like our winner is [member]DXM147[/member]! Congrats -- it was well deserved. Congrats also to [member]theGardener[/member] for a close second place!

Sorry it took so long, guys. Life's been busy. Look forward to another round upon conclusion of the current round of Ice Arceus' Leaders of the Region Contest

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeto

Milotic
Oh c'mon, Rotom was so awesome, nobody thought of that, creativity should have been 20/20.
The card s image looks so much like a real one's.
I am rooting for 47bennyg.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
I gave benny 20/20 on his other Rotom...this one is still creative, but I found two others to be slightly moreso for the image based category. Though fans= heat = a theme touched upon by others. ;)

Zeto

Milotic
^fan is a "counter" to the heat, which is a perfect rogue anti-meta, if i may in the TCG language :)

But finally I agree to your ranking, because like a mistake you made, Benny s attacks weren't aligned, if u take a .5 out there, and add a .5 to creativity (yes, I still think it deserves better), it d be 48/50.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Would you like to help judge the next round? Trust me, I could use all the help I can get! =)

Zeto

Milotic
^i would love to, but I am afraid that my faking skills are not great enough to be one!
Anyway, congrats to DXM147!