PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #3: Image-based winner: DXM147! Text-based winner: 47bennyg!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Cacbanner3.png

Now that we're finally in the midst of summer, I think it's appropriate to bring back everyone's favorite PokéBeach competition: PokéBeach Create-a-Card! And since the last round's themed competition was met with such enthusiasm and creativity, I figured having a summer theme would be ideal!

Therefore, let your imaginations run wild and come up with a card(s) representing summer. There's really no limitations....just have fun with the theme!

I'm aware that some of you may not have the means to get Photoshop or other graphic editing programs such as GIMP. For that reason, this competition will have two separate categories: text-based and image-based. Each category will be judged, obviously, on different factors.

You may enter up to one (1) entry in both categories, for a total of two (2) combined submissions. You can certainly enter just one or the other, though! If you choose to do so, the total number of entries you can submit is still just one (1) for that specific category. In addition, you may not enter the same card in both categories.

Here's the point breakdown...

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We're all tired of effect-less attacks. Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Power/Body/Ability/attack effects. Let's see something cool!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points

There you have it. Point breakdown is a little different in text-based versus image-based fakes, simply because there is such a visual shift in image-based fakes. As with any fake card, please be sure that when using others' artwork, you have explicit permission to use it (as per forum rules). Because the amount of effort needed to put into judging this competition, spots are limited. There will be a 10 person cap for each group, so sign up quick!

Try and have fun with this contest. Show off the talent that we have here at the 'Beach!

Deadline: Wednesday, July 25th

--------
Anticipated Participants
--------
[td] Image-Based:
  1. RayquazaMaster
  2. ShinyBill
  3. theGardner
  4. theducktamer
  5. Charganium
  6. Nekoban Ryo
  7. Blui129
  8. DXM147
  9. 47bennyg
  10. MewMew
[/td][td] Text-Based:
  1. DNA
  2. Keeper of Night
  3. Bippa
  4. Blui129
  5. Fraxureking
  6. 47bennyg
  7. 9Tailz
[/td]

Good luck to all!

RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #3: Summer Edition!

You can definitely count me in, though how general this theme is might make this difficult. :'D

Nah...not too general! It's just open enough to get the creative juices flowing! ;)

For which category(ies) are you entering, RM?

Sign me up for the text-based category only, please!

Do I need to go only by a specific era in terms of wording and text and such, or can I just go by any era I feel like doing?

I'll be entering for image-based. Sorry I forgot to mention that. :'D

I'll give the image-based part a shot.

I could try the Text-Based part.
Do I PM it to you when I finish?

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Sign me up for the text-based category only, please!

Do I need to go only by a specific era in terms of wording and text and such, or can I just go by any era I feel like doing?

Yep, as long as you make it clear what era it's supposed to be from!

Keeper Of Night said:
I could try the Text-Based part.
Do I PM it to you when I finish?

Yes, you may. But because this isn't a community vote, anonymity isn't require, so you may post entries here for the forum's enjoyment as a whole.

I will say, though, that entries should be finalized once posted -- please do not edit your posts with updates after posting!

So it's posted publicly, not sent to you via PM first?

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
So it's posted publicly, not sent to you via PM first?

Correct. Since it's not a public vote, and I can see when participants edit their posts, I don't see any reason for entries to be sent via PM. =)

I don't plan to win anything, but are we allowed to enter pre-made fakes? I kind'a already made a card to commemorate this summer...

Yeah, I don't see why you can't enter pre-made fakes. =)

Alright, I'll enter Image-based then. :)

surfsparce_sml.png

If nothing else, it may get some lolz.

Here's my entry:

6b67afcc27b1f7ae51705d70d1a77fea.png

I've been experimenting with what sort of art to use with my new TM blanks. I like the idea of abstract images somehow evoking the technique in question, but they're hard to come up with.

The only thing I remember about summer is how hot it is. So, in the interest of that, here's my entry!

Ninetales - Stage 1 (Evolves from Vulpix) - 100 HP - {R} Type
Weakness {W} +20
Resistance {G} -20
Retreat Cost {C} (1)

Poké-Body: Sweltering Heat
Any damage done to the Active Pokémon by attacks from {R} Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's) is increased by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Any damage done to the Active Pokémon by attacks from {W} Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's) is reduced by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

{R}{R}{C} Inferno 60
Discard all {W} Energy in play. If you do, put 2 damage counters on each Pokémon that you discarded {W} Energy from for each Energy card you discarded from that Pokémon.

My favorite thing about Summer is going to the beach:

{W} Ludicolo: Stage 2 (evolves from Lombre) HP 140

Ability: Beach Party
As long as this pokemon has any {G} energy attatched to it, each of this pokemon’s attacks do +10 damage for each Lotad, Lombre, and Ludicolo you have in play.

{W} {W} Life Preserver 10
Remove from this pokemon the same amount of damage you did to the defending pokemon.

{W} {W} {W} {C} Ride-The-Wave 70
Does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s benched pokemon. Discard 2 {W} energy attached to this pokemon.

edit: Not really over-powered, though it seems that way. The maximum it can hit is 130, then it has his bad draw back...And it can be OHKOd by a few things. But it would be fun in this format.

Back