PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1! Winners: PMJ and aschefield101!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Cacbanner.png

Since the faking community here at PokéBeach is definitely one of the strongest (if not the strongest) in the fandom, I think it's definitely due time that we hold a Create-a-Card competition! This contest will be ongoing, with a different theme each round to spice things up.

To start things off, this week's theme is Water-type Pokémon! This can include Ice-types as well, since they are considered water types in the TCG.

I'm aware that some of you may not have the means to get Photoshop or other graphic editing programs such as GIMP. For that reason, this competition will have two separate categories: text-based and image-based. Each category will be judged, obviously, on different factors.

You may enter up to two (2) entries in both categories, for a total of four (4) combined submissions. You can certainly enter just one or the other, though! If you choose to do so, the total number of entries you can submit is still two (2) for that specific category. In addition, you may not enter the same card in both categories.

Here's the point breakdown...

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We're all tired of effect-less attacks. Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Power/Body/Ability/attack effects. Let's see something cool!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points

There you have it. Point breakdown is a little different in text-based versus image-based fakes, simply because there is such a visual shift in image-based fakes. As with any fake card, please be sure that when using others' artwork, you have explicit permission to use it (as per forum rules). Special thanks to Gliscor who will be helping judge this contest!

Try and have fun with this contest. Show off the talent that we have here at the 'Beach!

Deadline: Sunday, November 6th

--------
Anticipated Participants
--------

1. [*]PMJ (text, image)
    [*]Bippa201 (text, image)
    [*]pokemonjoe (text)
    [*]47bennyg (both)
    [*]Charganium (image)
    [*]Xdogking (text)
    [*]Flame Claw (image)
    [*]dolphinluv2010 (image)
    [*]SPM3 (image)
    [*]JuStuPro (image)
    [*]Delta Nite (image)
    [*]RayquazaMaster (image)
    [*]Cris (image)
    [*]EricDLee (image)
    [*]YakobTheRed (image)
    [*]Alvin and the Minezumis (image)
    [*]Fangking Omega (image)
    [*]shinygyarados (text)
    [*]Zyflair (text)
    [*]GoobieDoob (image)
    [*]Chillarmy (text)

Good luck to all!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: Create-a-Card Competition!

I am in this

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
RE: Create-a-Card Competition!

Awesome, PMJ! For what category?

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-a-Card Competition #1!

Well, that depends. I have Photoshop CS5 but I can't do art to save my life. I have no problems with taking images others have made and using those for cards and I am pretty good at nailing placement (see Unsung Heroes (sig) or, most recently, my pony cards done in HGSS style). I guess what I'm asking is would it be okay if I submitted my piece using art I didn't draw?

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Definitely, as long as long as you have the permission to use it.

Slowbro

Aspiring Trainer

Quick question. I can't make the actual cards, but I have some ideas. Could I make spoiler tags with the text and just enter the text-based category?

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Yeah, you can do one or the other, or both. =)

47bennyg

Hmmmm

I guess this will help me get back in the faking saddle. In. Both categories please!

Xdog

Pokemon X(dog) and Y

I'm in for text category, please :3

Flame Claw

Blue, dressed in black

So we can enter two cards, right?

As this is the first contest, I will enter my two favourite water fakes from last year.
RQ_03_Poliwrath_by_FlamingClaw.jpg
holon__lunatone_by_flamingclaw-d3632bw.jpg

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member

FC: I believe you enter one for each category.

I will be entering both categories.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Nope, you can enter up to two for each category...Flameh's good to go!

Sounds good, PMJ. I'll note it.

Spammy

8^)

I will enter for the image category.

We can enter previously made fakes, correct? =o

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Yep, as long as it's a Water-type, it can be pre-made!

JuStuPro

Aspiring Trainer

I think I will enter image category, good way to get back into faking =D