PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species (Congrats to the winners!)

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species

Text Based: (Judged by Luispipe8)

The guy that looks like an ocean said:
Chesnaught DELTA SPECIES 140HP [R] [L]
Stage2 Evolves from Quilladin

This Pokémon is both [R] [L] type.

Ability: Delta Strength
This Pokémons attacks do 10 more damage for each Holon Energy attached to this Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[L] [L] Shocking Ivy 30
You may discard all [L] Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Poisoned.

[R] [R] [R] [L] [L] Burn Down The Forest!
Discard all Energy attached to this Pokémon. Put 20 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. If one of your opponent's Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack take 2 prize cards. This Pokémon does 100 damage to itself.

Weakness: [R] Resistance: Reatreat: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Alright, the first Delta Pokémon and it's a dual-type! Let's see how this goes:

Creativity/Originality: 20/20pts
This card is very creative, the effects are good and original, and you even brought back the Holon Energy! Also nice touch on the name. Let's hope it literally doesn't burn down the forest. xD Great work, Lugia!

Wording: 14/15pts
I'm just docking a single point for 2 minor errors in typing: You missed an apostrophe in "Pokémon's" in the Ability and also a comma in the "from this attack, take 2 prizes" in the second attack.

Believability/Playability: 14/15pts
I want to start this by pointing something out: In the second attack, you state that you take 2 prizes, not "an extra prize". That's actually very interesting because it lets you take a knockout on a regular Pokémon for 2 prizes, but not being insanely OP to take 3 for an EX. That's actually neat, intentional or not, because it actually gives this card a lot of balance. And if it wasn't enough, the attack cost combined with the drawback are INSANE! xD You can take 3-5 turns charging up the attack, then make one of the most suicidal moves in the TCG and then get KO'd by a plethora of things afterwards. And even though you attach something like a Protection Cube or that stuff, it's nearly impossible to stream this things! xD The ONLY way I can see this "working", is to play both Eelektrik and Heatran Lv.X: Attack, Rush In with Keldeo to charge the Lightnings, manually attach a Fire and retreat, but it's still an almost impossible set-up that could work like 1 out of 250 games. All that said, its very Under-powered. D: But apart from that, the rest of the attacks are good, the Ability can't be abused that much... but yeah, it's an under-powered card. But the real reason I'm docking a point is because Delta Species Pokémon, when Dual-typed, generally have Metal as it's secondary Type, so, that's the only thing that actually wrong.

Wow, I can't believe I actually got to see an Under-powered card... xD But putting this aside, the card is actually very nice, you did an amazingly good job this month, Lugia, keep it up!

Total Score: 48/50pts
The Rising Star said:
Stage 2 Greninja δ DELTA SPECIES HP140
20px-Psychic-attack.png

[sprite]657[/sprite] Evolves from Frogadier

658.gif

NO.658 Ninja Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 88.2 lbs.

SF-Ability
Ninja Shadow
When your Active Pokemon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack (yours or your opponent's) and this Pokemon is in your discard pile you may put this Pokemon onto your Bench and attach 1 [P] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokemon. If you do, switch this Pokemon with your new Active Pokemon.

20px-Psychic-attack.png
20px-Psychic-attack.png
Shadow Sneak 60
Switch the Defending Pokemon with 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. That Pokemon can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.

weakness
20px-Lightning-attack.png
x2 resistance

retreat

It appears and vanishes with a ninja's grace. It toys with its enemies using swift movements, while slicing them with throwing stars of sharpest water.

I almost feel that making Pokémon like Greninja, Kecleon and the such a Delta Species should not be allowed because they can be of those types at will. xD Alright, let's get going:

The Ability is something one of a kind, and the Attack is actually something very creative. Way to go!

First of all, I want, with all of my guts, to reword the Abiliity... But I just don't know how. :p So you got away with that. But what you DON'T get away with are the un-accented é's in Pokémon. Just one point from perfect wording. But the rest is great!

Believability/Playability: 15/15pts
I really can't see this card being OP. I mean, sure, it attacks and then Lysandres, but you can't stall someone Active with it because it forces you to Switch it, and the attack output looks corresponding to a Stage 2 for that amount of Energy. Nice, Squirtle!

This was a fantastic entry, as usual. But just one tiny error kept you from a 3 month perfect score streak. u.u But it's still top notch! Nice job this month! :D

Total Score: 49/50pts
That girl from Rocket Power said:
[Stage 2] Charizard δ Delta Species HP 150 [N]
Evolves from Charmeleon δ
charizard.gif

[R][D] Dark Fire 60
Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's Active Pokémon is now burned.

[F][D][C] Flames of Justice 160
Discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokémon. If this Pokémon has 20 HP or less, don't discard the Energy.

Weakness: [N] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C]
This Pokémon is a different type and color of what it normally is. Scientists believe the odds of this are 1 in billions.
RMG04

Delta Dragon Charizard, gotta say I was expecting this. xD But y u no Delta Regis?! D: Haha, let's hit it:

Creativity/Originality: 18/20pts
This card is very creative, I gotta say, but it lacks that POW that says "Wow, this is awesome!". Still, Flames of Justice is an awesome name! ;)

Wording: 12/15pts
I noticed 3 errors about this card: First, you forgot to capitalize Burned in the first attack. Second, the second attack's second part should say "If this Pokémon's remaining HP is 20 or less, don't discard the Energy" (Reference: Archeops PLB). And finally, the "Evolves from" clause shouldn't include the δ (Most recent reference: Ampharos δ, which evolves from Flaaffy δ, that evolves from Mareep δ). Nothing TOO big, good work on everything else!

This cards is very balanced to me, except for it's final attack. Even though it requires a Dark to attack, it's still a little too much for 3 Energy. Consider that Charizard LTR needs 1 Fire and 4 Colorless to hit for 150, and discarding 1. Maybe adding an Energy to the attack cost or nerfing the damage to somewhere near 130 might work to it being a bit more balanced.

I actually liked this card a lot, Reggie, it just had some minor issues. Take care of those and I'll see you next month! ;)

Total Score: 44/50pts
The weird looking Binacle said:
[Stage 1] Trevenant δ [Delta Species] HP120 [R]
Evolves from Phantump δ

trevenant.gif

[R] Will-O-Wisp
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned.

[R][R][C] Phantom Force 90
If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks during your opponent's next turn, flip a coin. If heads, prevent that damage.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat: [C][C][C]
Using its roots as a nervous system, it controls the trees in the forest. It's kind to the Pokémon that reside in its body.

Alright, another Grass-type that's supposed to be burning down... xD Let's see how hot is this:

Creativity/Originality: 16/20pts
Will-o-Wisp is kind of vanilla, but Shadow Force, although a bit predictable, does make up for it a little. Nice overall, though.

I actually found only one error: the "Evolves from" clause shouldn't include the δ (Most recent reference: Ampharos δ, which evolves from Flaaffy δ, that evolves from Mareep δ). But you still nailed the rest! :D

This card is actually really balanced. The only way I can see this getting SOME use is in an Agility-like deck with Victini, but it's a really bad call... xD Nicely done!

This was a nicely built card, steffenka. Just try to think outside the box a bit more next time, ok? ;)

Total Score: 45/50pts
The comeback said:
[Stage 1] Volcarona δ Delta Species HP 110 [W]
Evolves from Larvesta
tumblr_n9v4q7qdp91rveypto1_250.png

NO. 637 Sun Pokémon HT: 5’03” WT: 101.4 lbs.

[Ability] Rainbow Scales
For each different type of basic Energy attached to this Pokémon, any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[C][C][C] Refracting Blast 50
If any basic Energy card attached to this Pokémon is the same type as the Defending Pokémon’s type, this attack does 30 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [W] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
Thought to be an embodiment of the sun, it appeared during a bitterly cold winter and saved Pokémon from freezing.

Illus. Ken Sugimori

Wow, that's a nice twist to this Contest, images instead of sprites! :D Let's see how this goes,

Great Ability, amazing attack, it's nicely creative overall. Excellent!

Wording: 13/15pts
I spotted 2 errors here: First, the Ability should say "Any damage done to this Pokémon by attacks is reduced by 10 for each different type of basic Energy attached to this Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).", in inverse order of what you depicted (Most recent Reference: Cubone Triumphant). And second, the attack should go "If this Pokémon has any basic Energy attached to it that is the same type as the Defending Pokémon, this attack..." (Reference: Ninetales LTR. Everything else seems fine!

Well, this card just can't be broken. I mean, it's a 110 HP Stage 1 that needs 3 Energy to attack, but the secondary effect is SO situational... And also playing a lot of basic Energy has proven to be bad in most decks. So kudos on a nice, balanced card!

I really liked this card a lot, XDog, I see you're a worthy contender in this Contest. Now go for the gold next month! ;)

One of the many Steven Stones in PokéBeach said:
BASIC || Tyrantrum EX || HP180 || [Y] || δ Delta Species

697.gif

[Y][C] Delta Surge
Put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent's δ Delta Species Pokémon.

[Y][Y][Y] Robust Clobber 150-
Discard the top 3 cards of your deck. This attack does 150 damage minus 50 damage for each Trainer card discarded in this way.

Weakness: [M] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]
Pokémon-EX rule
When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.​

Haha, a Fairy Tyrantrum... xD Let's see how this goes:

This is an amazingly nice card in terms of creativity. Nice attack effects overall and the names are actually funny! xD Nice job!

I found 2 errors about your card: First of all, in the first attack you are basically saying "Delta Delta Species Pokémon". You should write "Delta Species Pokémon", "δ Pokémon". or even the old way, "Pokémon that has δ in its name". :p Either would have worked. Considering that as writing M-Mega-Gengar, as example. Sounds weird, right? Oh, and the second one, is that the final wording in the attack should go "This attack does 150 damage minus 50 damage for each Trainer card you discarded." Reference: Heatmor PLS). Apart from that, everything else is fine. :D

Believability/Playability: 11/15pts
Well, this card is not that balanced. It just bugs me that being a Basic EX that can get acceleration from Xerneas and potentially attack T2 it's a bit too much. I do get that usually around 2/5 of a deck are Trainers, but I believe that adding maybe [Y][Y] to the Energy requirement could make it a bit more balanced. And also, the Weakness is not corresponding to a Tyrantrum. If a Pokémon is Delta Species, it retains its original Weakness and Resistance, so a [M] weak Dragon is kind of weird. Specially since if you took inspiration from a Figthing type Tyrantrum, no incarnation of Fighting in the TCG is weak to Metal. So another 2 points there.

I liked this card overall, Momaster, it was just a bit unbalanced. Take note on those things and get ready for next month! :D

Total Score: 44/50pts
A Cradily bandwagon member said:
Clawitzer δ DELTA SPECIES // HP100 [N]
STAGE 1 Evolves from Clauncher
clawitza.png

NO. 693 Howitzer Pokémon HT: 4’03’’ WT: 77.8 lbs.

[C] Ammunition Swap
You may discard an Energy card attached to this Pokémon. If you do, search your discard pile for an energy card (excluding the one you discarded) and attach it to this Pokémon.

[C][C][C] Ammunition Burst 60
You may discard a basic Energy card attached to this Pokémon. If you do, this attack’s damage is dealt using the type on that Energy instead of this Pokémon’s type.

weakness resistance
[G] x2
retreat [C][C]

Their enormous claws launch cannonballs of water powerful enough to pierce tanker hulls.

Great, a Dragon Clawitzer! Never thought of that one before!

Fantastic card when it comes to effects, it's really creative! I personally love the second attack, it's really cool! Nice job!

Wording: 12/15pts
First of all, you forgot to capitalize Energy once in the attack, so there's a point. Then. the first attack should say "You may discard an Energy card attached to this Pokémon. If you do, attach an Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon..."(Reference: Landorus FFI), and then place the "You can't choose an Energy you discarded with the effect of this attack." Clause (Reference: Superior Energy Retrieval), so 2 points in that one. Also, I believe the second attack can be reworded better, but there's no reference for that. :p Nice job. ;)

I think everything that has to be done was said already: It's a good attack, but to pull it off effectively for a lot of turns is very difficult, so this card is in a perfect balance. Kudos!

Wow, I knew this card would do nice! Keep up the good work and go for the gold next month! :D

Total Score: 47/50pts
YOOM TAA said:
STAGE 1 Wigglytuff δ Delta Species HP180 [N]
Evolves from Jigglypuff
wigglytuff_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48oh.gif

NO.040 Balloon Pokémon HT: 3’03” WT: 26.5 lbs.
/Ability/ Bouncy Body
If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, put 4 damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon.
[D][Y] Ferocious Leap 50
The Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Burned. Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.
Weakness Resistance
[Y] x2
Retreat: [C]
Wigglytuff's body is very flexible. By inhaling deeply, this Pokémon can inflate itself seemingly without end. Once inflated, Wigglytuff bounces along lightly like a balloon.

I'm not particularly amazed you went with Wiggly. xD Let's take it down:

This card is of course creative. A very funny Ability, a nicely thought attack... I like it!

Wording: 15/15pts
No mistakes here, moving on...

Believability/Playability: 7/15pts
Ok, you fell straight down. First of all, it's a 180HP Wigglytuff, which is very scary for a non-EX Stage 1. Then, the attack is absolutely SCARY in a Pokémon like that. Just use Xerneas T1 to accelerate Energy and then start a lock by T2 while attacking and hiding behind something like Trevenant, or Pyroar. And, the fact that it goes back to your bench makes a lock far more do-able. It's just scarily OP. I'd make it be worth [Y][Y][Y][C] to make it A BIT less broken. And also, the Weakness is not corresponding to a Wigglytuff. If a Pokémon is Delta Species, it retains its original Weakness and Resistance, so a [Y] weak Fairy is not really from a Delta Pokémon.

Well, the overall concept of the card looked nice... But it was freakin OP! D: Try to deal the power creep down a bit for next month, ok? ;)

Total Score: 42/50pts
The guy who got his internet filtered by the government said:
Crobat STAGE 2 130 HP [M] δ Delta Species
NO. 169 Bat Pokémon HT: 5'11" WT: 165.3 lbs.
Ability Moderate
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and would be damaged by an opponent's attack, and that attack would do more than 50 damage, that attack does 50 damage instead.
[M][C][C] Scizzor Wing 40x
Flip 4 coins. This attack does 40 damage times the number of heads. If this attack would do more than 120 damage, this attack does 120 damage instead.

weakness [L] x2
resistance [G][F] -20
retreat

"Having metal wings allows it to be stronger in combat but makes it more difficult to fly silently and swiftly."

Alright, a Metal Crobat! Talk about Poison resistance. xD I wonder who was supposed to know what's behind the card, though... Let's see:

Amazing imagination there, rev! Cool Ability, a Moderated attack as well... Oh, and that dual Resistance! Nice!

Well, the text, even though there's no real recent reference, looks goodly enough. Although "Scizzor" is literally nothing(seriously, I Googled it). D: I guess that it was a typo, but since it's an attack name and looks legitimate enough, so, you dodged that one. ;)

Believability/Playability: 13/15pts
Well, the only thing that makes this card a bit unbalanced is that it LITERALLY can't be OHKO'd, but AT LEAST 3HKO'd. It also makes Weakness a bit, well, useless. Maybe to make that Ability luck-based might do the trick. ;)

I really liked this card, rev, keep up that amazing work! :D

Is he a bowl? said:
Ninetales (δ Delta Species) 100 HP [P]
Stage 1 Pokémon - Evolves from Vulpix
038.gif

#38. Fox Pokémon HT: 3'07", WT: 43.9 lbs.

[Ability] Eternal Curse
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, whenever your opponent
flips any coins for an attack, treat those flips as tails.

[P][R] Ghostfire -- 30
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned and Confused.

[P][C][C] Kitsune's Revenge -- 40+
You may discard as many Supporter cards from your hand as you like. Then,
this attack does 10 more damage for each Supporter in your discard pile.

Weakness - [W] // Resistance - none // Retreat - [C]

Very smart and very vengeful. Grabbing one of its many tails could result in a
1,000-year curse.

Good, a mental Ninetales! :D Let's see how spooky it is:

Properly earned them, nice Ablity you have there, the attacks look nice... Nice job! :D

I see no errors in Wording, so let's continue...

This card is actually very balanced. Energy requirements are fine, damage output as well, but just one thing hit your believability: The Energy in the first attack. The Energy placement follows the order of the types as in any BW-On set (as in Grass, Fire, Water, Lightning, Psychic, Fighting, Darkness, Metal, Fairy, Dragon and Colorless). That said, you should have placed the icons the other way around (Most Recent Reference: Noivern FFI).

Wow, bowlerdude, you made a fantastic job this time, congrats! Keep up that amazing work!

Cradily The Champion said:
Stage 2 // Reuniclus δ delta species // HP90 [Y]
reuniclus.gif

NO. 579 Multiplying Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 44.3lbs.

[Ability] Overtake
Once at the end of your turn, if you have 6 Stage 2 δ Pokémon in play, you may choose to win the game.

[C][C] Multiply
Search your deck for a δ Pokémon with the same name as 1 of your Benched δ Pokémon and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

weakness [P] X2
resistance
retreat [C][C]

align=right]When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power.[/align]

Haha, what I like the most from that ripped Reuniclus is the fact that the Battle Arena can still be seen through it's body. xD Let's see how this goes:

You have a very creative card here, Machamp. Nicely thought and very original. Perfect!

Welp, you forgot the "Evolves from" clause. Nothing more besides that, though. ;) *Thanks for noticing D:*

This card's balance is actually very good. The chances that you actually get 6 Stage 2 Pokémon in play at one is extremely low, low enough to guarantee a win. And the attack is simply a bench-filler, so, it works nicely. ;)

Wow, Machamp, you almost nailed this card! Keep up the good work! ;)

That girl on fire said:
Kyurem EX (δ Delta Species) 180 HP [D]
Basic Pokémon

Ability - DNA Slice UP
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Black Kyurem EX or White Kyurem EX and switch it with Kyurem EX. (Any cards attached to Kyurem EX, damage counters, Special Conditions, and effects on it are now on the new Pokémon.) If you do, put Kyurem EX on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more than 1 DNA Slice UP Ability each turn.

[D][D][C] Raging Storm 100+
Discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded a Holon Energy card , this attack does 50 more damage.

weakness - [M] x2
resistence -
retreat cost - [C][C][C]

[When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]

Awesome, a Delta Kyurem that's a Dark-type. Where's Team Plasma when you need it? xD Let's unpiece this:

Awesome card, Drac, the Ability looks really cool and the attack is very original, specially because you brought back Holon Energy! Well done!

I'm docking 2 point because of the Ability, that's supposed to say "Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Black Kyurem EX or White Kyurem EX and switch it with Kyurem EX this Pokémon. (Any cards attached to Kyurem EX this Pokémon, damage counters, Special Conditions, turns in play, and any other effects effects remain on the new Pokémon.) (...)". And also, I should dock a point because of the extra space in the second attack after AND before the comma, but since it's not a big deal, consider that it's part of the first mistake.

Well, first of all, given the Energy requirements in all Black/White Kyurem-EX, the Ability can't really be that abused, and the attack out put is not that big and is dificult to pull off every turn, so it's a perfect balance! Nice!

Very nice card overall, Drac, note those little things if you were to continue faking in BW/XY Era and keep this nice work going!

THE Cradily that took over PokéBeach said:
[D] Cradily δ delta species
Keeper's Pokemon
Stage 1 (evolves from Lileep)
cradily.gif

Ability: Wretched Weed
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Benched Pokémon, you may attach as many basic [D] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon as you like.

[D][C] Tumbling Bash 30+
Does 10 more damage for each Item card in play (both yours and your opponent's).

[D][D][D][D] Hide-and-go-Destroy
Does 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: [F] Resistance: [W] Retreat [C][C][C]
It ensnares prey with its eight tentacles. It then melts the prey with a strong acid before feeding.

Ah, the Cradily that started the madness... xD Let's see how even crazier it gets:

Not going to lie, it's really nice! The Ability is very good in terms of creativity and the second one is actually very interesting(I'll get to it later). The last attack can also be a snipe, so that's neat! And to top it off, it's a Keeper's Pokémon. Nicely done!

Well, the most noticeable thing is the lack of HP, so -2 for that. But apart from that, everything else is fine

Believability/Playability: 12/15pts
Well, the attacks are very balanced, TBH. The first attack, actually, I don't know how many Item Cards can be in play besides Tools, so, that's funny. :p But the fact that it has no HP makes it, LITERALLY, unable to be Knocked Out. You can attack him for 500 + Weakness that it survives, Poison will keep ading indefinitely... It's just hilariously insane!!! xD At first I considered a -5 here, but I'll take less because it's a small mistake, probably because of distraction, and it's a first-timer. But be aware that next time I'll have no mercy.

Well, the Cradily DID turned out to be wacky! :p But be a bit more careful next time, ok, pal? ;)

Total Score: 45/50pts
The last minute entry of the month said:
Stage 1 Lampent (Delta Species) 80 HP [Y]

Ability: Fanciful Fairy-ness
Once during your turn (before you attack), you may attach a [Y] Energy card from your hand to 1 of your [Y] Pokémon. If you do, put 1 damage counter on that Pokémon.

[Y][Y][C] Magic Wand 100
Return all Energy cards attached to this Pokémon to your hand.

W: [M] x2
R: [D] -20
RT: 1

The Pokémon floats around in the shape of a lamp feeding on people's souls​

Well, the darkest card I've seen this month is a Fairy! xD Haha, I really need to stop joking around..:

A very nice card, ATA, the Ability is very nice, and the attack is not really something you see everyday. Nice job!

All the wording is fine except for one thing: The Ability should say "Once during your turn (before YOUR attack),...". Nothing apart from that.

Believability/Playability: 13/15pts
When it comes to balance, the card is fine, but a little rock hit your believability: The Weakness is not corresponding to a Lampent. If a Pokémon is Delta Species, it retains its original Weakness and Resistance, so a [M] weak Fire-type is not really from a Delta Pokémon.

Well, it wasn't your best work, Alex, I gotta say. Try again next month and climb back to the top! ;)

Total Score: 47/50pts

3rd Place: The bronze goes to 9Tailz's Clawitzer and also to AlexanderTheAwesome's Lampent, both scoring 47/50 points!
2nd Place: Here stands 4 contestants: Lugia123, Xdog, rev3rsor and GM Draclord, all netting themselves 48/50 points!
1st Place: The gold medal goes to 3 persons! SquirtleSquad's Greninja, bowlerdude04's Ninetales and [mod]Machamp The Champion[/mod]'s Reuniclus, all getting 49/50 points! Congrats to all!

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species

Image Based: (Judged by CMP)

Arcticwhite:
fakemon_cansu_by_arcticwhite2000-d7v8wsw.png

Arcticwhite is back again, and this time with a Fakemon! Admittedly, I would’ve preferred to see an official Pokémon for a Delta Species theme as we’re not as familiar with your Fakemon so the different type (and its shiny-ness) can’t be as appreciated. The blank is technically incorrect, as you’re missing the Delta Species border. Not sure if asche has made them available or not, but it would’ve been nice to see you attempt to make one yourself, use one of Purity/Fang's old Delta Species blanks, or rip it from Mew . Also, Delta Species cards didn’t use the traditional holosheet, so it takes a bit off of Believability here. Placement of the HP looks good, but it’s important to remember that on ex-series
star.gif
cards, the name and HP don’t line up; the name should be moved down a few pixels. Ironically, the ‘DELTA SPECIES’ should be in line with the HP, so it’s almost as if you switched the two. I’d consider moving the ‘Illus.’ down a pixel or two as well – it’s much closer to the bottom of the border on real cards. The Poké-POWER symbol should be moved a full circle to the right, as seen on Salamence ex Delta. Additionally, you’re putting too large a space between the symbol and Power name (shoot for about 11 or so pixels). Also quite obvious is that your effect text box isn’t even on both sides – try extending both text boxes to the right about 9 pixels. Wording checks out on Delta Splash, and touché on the naming – very fitting for a Delta Species card. In Aquatic Acrobatics, however, you don’t need the “This attack” part at the beginning; cards from the era started with “Does ____ damage times...” Because I mentioned the text boxes are too far to the left, this affects your damage too. Also remember that the ‘x’ should be bolded. Oddly, you misplaced a single Energy in the attack cost (the Grass and Water are lined up, but Colorless is up a single pixel). Not a huge deal either, but in the ex-series, attack names are either lined up with the Energy cost or a pixel or two below it, so it needs to be moved down. Also important to note that Delta Species should retain their normal Weakness despite their Delta type – since you mentioned it’s normally a Grass-type, its Weakness should be Fire. Overall, a nice card…just make sure to double check everything before posting!

Creativity/Originality: 18.5/20
(Fakemon are cool to see, but it doesn’t really fit in with this month’s theme; attacks are nothing we haven’t seen before)
Wording: 14/15
(Incorrect wording in the attack)
Fonts and Placement: 5/10
(Misplaced name/DELTA SPECIES, misplaced Poké-POWER symbol, too large a space between symbol and Power name, effect text isn’t even on both sides of border, Colorless symbol is up a pixel in the Energy cost, misplaced damage, ‘x’ multiplier not bolded)
Believability/Playability: 3/5
(Incorrect blank and holosheet, incorrect Weakness)
Total: 40.5/50

Auride:

iTFAWD2.png

Ah, a FA EX. The bane of my existence. But really, though, you’ve done well here; I especially like the Delta symbol being a part of the EX symbol – a neat decision that makes the Delta symbol very unobtrusive. Since Hydreigon cards use Psychic Energy in the TCG, it might’ve been cooler to see Hydreigon Delta represented as a type less associated with it, but from a design standpoint the purple looks good. Alright, I admit, my knowledge of the TCG past the Wizards sets is limited (which is why I judge Image-based and not Text-based), but it doesn’t seem like attacks costing [C] less for each Prize your opponent has taken justifies Knocking Out your Active Pokémon – what if Hydreigon Delta is your Active Pokémon? Does the Ability still Knock Out Hydreigon Delta? Otherwise, wording seems to be fine in the Ability. Delta Meteor, though, should read, “This attack does 150 damage minus 10 damage for each Pokémon in your discard pile.” I used Walrein FLF as a reference. The power level seems about right, but you need to line up the right edge of the number with the effect text and move the ‘-‘ a pixel or two to the right, past the effect text box. I’d suggest moving the text box in a few pixels on either side; the left edge should be a few pixels in from the bar above the W/R/RC. Weakness and Resistance are pretty much where they should be, but the RC should be moved to the right a bit (with the left edge of the third symbol lining up with the first ‘s’ in ‘resistance’). The ‘Illus.’ Text needs to be moved quite a bit to the right: see an example. A nice sophomore effort from Auride this month!

(Interesting Ability, even though I don’t see its use, but it would’ve been cool to see Hydreigon as a type less associated with it)
Wording: 14/15
(Incorrect wording in the attack)
Fonts and Placement: 7.5/10
(Need to move the effect text boxes in a few pixels on either side, damage and ‘-‘ symbol misplaced, some issues with RC and ‘Illus.’ placement)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(I’m not sure about that Ability, although the rest of the card is pretty believable)
Total: 43.5/50

Amperglyph:
VileplumeEntrycopy_zps23d7486f.png

Out of all of the custom blanks you’ve used so far, Amperglyph, this one seems to be the least changed, and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing! I really like the gold borders on the blank, especially mixed with the intermittent glow on the illustration border (very reminiscent of the original Delta Species cards). Choosing Fairy-type for Vileplume was a nice choice. HP works for a Vileplume, too. The Ability is quite interesting, though if you’re going for XY text you need to use ‘this Pokémon’ instead of the Pokémon’s name. I also would’ve worded it a bit differently, “Once during your opponent’s turn, if this Pokémon is Asleep or Paralyzed and you have any Benched Pokémon, switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.” This way it uses wording already established in the TCG. Scattering Stench is a cool attack. Situational, but cool. On both the Ability and attack effect text, the text box isn’t even on either side on the card. Attack damage needs to be lined up with the edge of the text box, so its placement is incorrect in a couple ways. I’m not sure how I feel about the overlapping Retreat Cost symbols. Since the attack’s Energy cost are side-by-side, the overlap is slightly jarring; had the Energy cost done the same thing, it might’ve looked better.¬ The custom stuff at the bottom is interesting, though I’m not sure if it fits a Pokémon blank (even in your alternate-universe). Nonetheless, it’s a pretty clever “what-if!” As always, I commend you for your constant creativity and imagination – it definitely shows in your stuff! Well done, Amperglyph!

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
(Odd, but interesting, “alternate-universe” take)
Wording: 13.5/15
(Use of ‘Vileplume’ in effect text designed to be XY-era, incorrect wording in the Ability)
Fonts and Placement: 8/10
(Effect text isn’t even on both sides, damage doesn’t line up with the effect text)
Believability/Playability: 3.5/5
(Situational attack, “alternate-universe” card idea)
Total: 45/50

bigfootaus:
delta_species_rayquaza002.png

First of all, let me just say how much I love the way you incorporated the Delta symbol into the background/holosheet/border. So subtle yet so effective! I also like how you incorporated a Pokémon-δ rule to show off the new typing, although it probably would’ve fit better in place of the Pokédex entry; it would allow you to better showcase your art. Placement of the name and HP looks good. I wouldn’t say 130 HP is necessarily too much, although I disagree that ORAS will be any more powerful than XY; it seems that power creeps tend to happen between generations, not between groups of sets within the same generation. Placement of the Ability symbol is too far to the left; it should be at least 10 pixels to the right, with the left edge only about 2/3 pixels to the left of the bar above the W/R/RC. Wording is so close on the Ability, but you should say “If you have 3 or more [N] Pokémon…” The way you numbered it isn’t quite clear; I can’t tell if you mean 2 or more or 3 or more. The only time I’ve seen ‘more than ___’ is used is when it refers to damage counters. Also, neither the Ability effect text box or attack text box are even on either side of the border (there’s more space on the right). Both text boxes should be moved to the left about 5 pixels (or about 2 pixels in from the W/R/RC bar), and you should adjust the right side accordingly. The left edge of the first Energy symbol belongs a single pixel to the right of the left edge of the Ability symbol. Additionally, you need to align the Ability and attack names. I like the concept behind Coiled Strike, but I’d word it differently, “During your opponent’s next turn, if this Pokémon is damaged by an opponent’s attack (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), this attack does 120 damage to the Attacking Pokémon.” While the KO clause isn’t italicized on the Item card, it should be when used on Pokémon (see Chesnaught). I’m thinking that even with a power creep in ORAS, 120 damage might be a little too high. Regardless, it would definitely scare your opponent into thinking twice about damaging Rayquaza. W/R/RC look great, but I think the ‘Illus.’ text looks off. It should be Futura Medium, Faux Bold Italic. It also should be moved to the right about 10 pixels or so (the right edge of the text should be about 86/87 pixels to the left of the right edge of the Pokédex bar). Besides some little things here and there, this was an excellent interpretation of the theme. Bravo, bigfootaus!
Creativity/Originality: 19.5/20
(Great execution of the Delta Species theme with fitting Ability and attack to match)
Wording: 13.5/15
(Small wording errors in the Ability, wording errors in the attack, KO clause should be italicized)
Fonts and Placement: 6.5/10
(Misplaced Ability symbol, incorrect Ability and attack effect text boxes, Energy symbols slightly misplaced, Ability and attack names misaligned, odd and misplaced ‘Illus.’ font)
(Perhaps a tad too heavy on a power creep that probably won’t happen)
Total: 43.5/50

Delta & Gadget Jax:

tumblr_nb19sw5NMF1snsyxqo1_500.png

The other deadly duo of Delta and Gadget Jax strikes again this month! It’s good to see that Tauros has an equally soft spot in its heart for small, round Pokémon as Bouffalant. 110 HP is right in the wheelhouse for an XY-era Tauros. The art is awesome, Delta. You’ve done a great job using different styles in each card you’ve entered! It would’ve been nice to see some indication it was a Delta Species Pokémon, be it a fancy additon to the illustration border, a Delta symbol, etc. Nothing too major, though! There’s a couple errors on the stats bar. You’ve listed the height as 4’17’’ instead of 4’07’’, and you forgot a colon after ‘WT.’ Placement of the Energy costs look pretty good, but they should be closer together. Taking a look at some official cards, you only really need a pixel between each Energy. The attack names are placed slightly higher in regards to the Energy symbols in Rodeo Smash compared to Stampeding Bullet. Oddly enough, Rodeo Smash is 4 pixels higher than the bottom of the Energy symbols and Stampeding Bullet is 2 – and what you should be aiming for is 3. This has an effect on the attack damage…which is also slightly misplaced. The right edge of the number should line up with the effect text, with the ‘+’ sign extending past that. Attack effect text is correctly lined up on either side, but from BW-on the same size should be used for both attacks. Rodeo Smash, though, is a fun attack that has both benefits and drawbacks. Fitting for a wild bull Pokémon like Tauros! The second attack is also fitting for a bull Pokémon (especially the self-Confusion), if a bit standard. Placement of W/R/RC looks good, but Normal-types no longer have a Psychic Weakness, so it’s really unnecessary. Using handy dandy fractions, the illustrator credit should be moved slightly to the right, with the right edge about 93 pixels to the left of the rightmost part of the Pokédex bar. Also, the ‘Illus.’ credit and card number need to line up; the card number is a pixel too low. Otherwise, you guys prove yet again what a formidable team you make!

Creativity/Originality: 18/20
(The second attack is pretty predictable for a Tauros, no indication of being Delta Species)
Wording: 15/15
(Looks good to me!)
Fonts and Placement: 7/10
(Energy cost and attack names slightly misplaced, damage misplaced, different sizes used for each attack effect, ‘Illus.’ credit should be moved slightly to the right, ‘Illus.’ and card number don’t line up)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Small errors in the stats bar, otherwise a nice Tauros)
Total: 44.5/50

Heavenly Spoon:

wxJjZDX.png

I really like your custom blanks, my Belgian friend. Not only are they large and super HQ, they’re very well designed, and the Delta Species/dual type iteration of them is no exception! You went above and beyond in creating this Mew’s own little backstory, which really enhances the card itself. The Poké-BODY makes perfect sense in context of the card’s background and is worded perfectly. The attack, as you mentioned, is a great nod to Mew’s in-game TM prowess, and is a completely unique method of utilizing Technical Machine cards. Again, worded perfectly. If I could critique anything, it would be to use the same font for the dual type/Delta Species rule as the Body and attack name. It stands out a little too much.
There’s really not much to be said that hasn’t already. Thank you, Spoon, for making a quick entry to judge.

And I’m out.

(Spoon is good at creative things)
(Spoon is smart)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Spoon has custom blanks where nothing looks out-of-place)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Spoon could work in PTCG development)
Total: 49.5/50

Huderon of Canossa:

MISMAGIUSdelta_zpse57707f0.png

Each CaC that goes by shows HoC has yet another trick up his sleeve! I’m loving this card – it goes to show that faking is an art. Great choice in using an uppercase Delta (ex -> EX, δ -> Δ makes sense). The Grass/Fairy symbol is beautiful, and much more creative than the colored symbol on the other type orb. Beautiful art, as always, and the golden borders really fit the bright colors of the card. Like Heavenly Spoon’s entry, I appreciate the backstory behind the card, as it creates a richer card as a whole. I’m not sure that would work for every round, but it certainly works well for Delta Species cards! The Ability is very interesting and not something I believe has been seen in the TCG. I’d word some things differently, “During your opponent’s turn, if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, your opponent may use Energy attached to this Pokémon as if they were attached to their Active Pokémon for the rest of the game. If he or she does, your opponent’s Active Pokémon now has[Y]x2[G]+30 Weakness and no Resistance. This effect lasts as long as Mismagius stays in play.” The ‘During your opponent’s turn’ came from Silcoon RS. I started with it instead of the Active Pokémon clause because that’s when you (or really, your opponent) can use it, with the Active Pokémon clause specifying details. You really make me do my research on your effects, HoC! Sweet Tincture has another wonderfully creative effect. Few wording issues: as seen on Unown N SW and Escape Rope, ‘he or she does/doesn’t’ is used instead of ‘they do/don’t’; XY wording uses ‘both Active Pokémon’ instead of ‘all Active Pokémon’; ‘two’ should be ‘2’; ‘each of the Defending Pokémon’s’ should be ‘the Defending Pokémon’s’; the end clause should be italicized. I like how the card really does force your opponent to make some tough decisions – but I think they’d always choose to not discard and take the 30 damage hit. Otherwise, they’d be forced to use the power, and when you use Mismagius again (and they didn’t discard/have no more Energy to discard), that 30 damage could quickly turn into 90 (30x2+30). Great strategy on a single card – I love it. Another wonderful effort from HoC this month!

Creativity/Originality: 20/20
(Yep)
Wording: 12/15
(Wording errors in the Ability, some use of ‘they’ instead of ‘he or she’, missed capitalization of ‘Active’ once, wording errors in the attack, missed italics in the end effect clause)
(Nothing I can see, although the ‘xs’ in W/RC don’t perfect line up – possibly an anti-aliasing effect)
(Perhaps not the most believeable, but in the proper deck there’s some great Playability)
Total: 47/50

PMJ & anabel1406:

pgjzX7R.png

Surfs up for PMJ and another CaC verteran, anabel1406! That sounded way too much like a SSB intro than I intended. HP works for a Hawlucha. Ankle Buster has a good double meaning, with an appropriate power level. Delta Wave is a perfect attack for this card; it, too, has a double meaning (waves, surfing, do the wave lol) but uses the ‘Delta’ in the name that so many of the old Delta Species cards had. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve looked up so many small details judging your cards that I often use your cards as a font guide, PMJ. I even did some nifty fractions from some huge cards to check to make sure the ‘+’ and ‘x’ are in the correct place…and they are! One minor thing, and it’s something I have to apologize for. When I told you to move the Weakness symbol over a pixel last month, I was using a PokéBeach scan as reference. However, looking it up on a preprint, it actually appears to be about 2 pixels to the left of the effect text. I’m not taking any points off, obviously, because it was my error; just something for you (and everyone else) to know. You may not’ve had Athena this month, PMJ, but anabel did you well, too. Great job this month guys!

(Creative overall theme)
(Simple but effective)
(Always fly)
(Low HP but a nice attack if you can get it set-up)
Total: 49.5/50

professorlight:

Lilligant%2520delta.jpg

Whoo! Professorlight! I can’t think of a better Delta typing for Lilligant than Fairy. Beautiful artwork, my friend, but it looks like the holosheet is covering poor Lilligant! The HP font looks a little off – not condensed enough, and slightly too close to the Energy symbol. See Quilava HGSS for a better idea of how the HP should look (I’ve only faked once using HGSS blanks, so my knowledge of these isn’t the greatest). The ‘Evolves from…’ font is needs to be italicized. It also appears you didn’t use a PNG file for the blank, as I see some artifact under the ‘STAGE 1’ part of the border. The stats bar font is also incorrect. It would appear to be similar to, if not the same as BW-on, which is in the Frutiger family. The Poké-BODY symbol/name/effect should be moved down a few pixels. Both of the effect text boxes are misplaced; they should be centered on the card with even distance to the border on both sides. Additionally, the Body and attack effects aren’t lined up. The left edge of the text boxes should line up with the left edge of the Pokédex text. The Body is wonderful, though, and shows off Lilligant’s nature. You’ve got a few wording errors, though: ‘before your attack’ needs to be italicized, there should be a comma after it, the ‘you’ should be lowercase. Wording is graded based on blank era (per the rules), so ‘this Pokémon’ should be ‘Lilligant.’ It appears you’re using pretty low quality (and bBase-DPish) symbols, here’s a link to some higher quality HGSS-on symbols. It’s important to align the Body and attack names, even on cards which have a 2-Energy attack cost. Wording should be, “Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does 30 damage. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Lilligant during your opponent's next turn.” Wording from Togetic UD. Placement looks pretty good on the W/R/RC (despite the wrong era/poor quality), but the ‘x2’ and ‘-20’ aren’t lined up with each other. The ‘-20’ is correct, so move the ‘x2’ up. The CaC logo should probably be a bit smaller and higher up. Overall, though, you did well! I’d love to see the full illustrations of both Lilligant and Petilil as they look stunning. If you need any fonts, let me know and I’ll try to send them to you. I hope you continue to participate in CaC, professorlight!

(Fun card)
Wording: 12/15
(Need to italicize ‘(before your attack)’, missing a comma, ‘You’ is capitalized, use of XY wording on a HGSS blank, some errors in the attack)
Fonts and Placement: 5/10
(HP placement/width, ‘Evolves from…’ text not italicized, effect text boxes not centered or aligned, Body/attack names not aligned)
(Cards that force your opponent to make decisions are fun to play)
Total: 39.5/50

Zygarde:

deltaporygonz_zps1b063c04.png

I love your thought process behind Porygon-Z’s typing. Creative! The concept behind the Ability and attacks both work well with the bug/glitch theme. HP looks pretty good (I might make the ‘HP’ a size or two smaller), but the card name could be moved up a few pixels (the name should be higher than the HP, not lower – check out Porygon-Z PBL). I love the Delta Species helix around the illustration – Bill’s blank, I believe? It’s an awesome way to bring Delta Species to BW/XY. The Ability symbol looks like it could be moved to the left a bit – it should be a bit to the left of the W/R/RC bar. I’d also suggest moving the left side of the effect text box in about 2 pixels (then you’d also have to move the right side in 2 pixels as well). Wording looks good, though! Like the Ability symbol, the Energy cost of the attack should be moved a few pixels to the left as well (keep it a single pixel to the right of the Ability symbol). I like the attack a lot – it fits thematically as well as having the potential to be quite useful. While the [C][C] Retreat Cost fits with the theme, it does take a slight hit in the Believeability/Playability category. The Weakness symbol could be moved over a pixel or two (it should be further to the right than the attack cost). Otherwise, everything looks great!

(Great idea to use bug as Bug-type, consistent theme throughout card)
(No errors I can see)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(Name slightly high, effect text boxes should be moved in slightly on either side, attack cost and Weakness symbol slightly misplaced)
Believability/Playability: 4.5/5
(Despite theme, [C][C] might be too heavy a Retreat Cost for the card)
Total: 48/50

3rd Place: Third place is Huderon of Canossa's, with his quirky Mismagius, getting 47/50 points!
2nd Place: Second place goes to Zygarde's buggy Porygon-Z, getting 48/50 points!
1st Place: And there's a tie for the gold! The winners are Heavenly Spoon with his demon-looking Mew and the PMJ & anabel1406 team with their Hawlucha, both getting a near-perfect 49.5/50 points!! Congratulations!!

Luispipe8 said:
So that's a wrap for this month! Congratulations to all of the winners, it's good to see how all of you did with this theme! :D Let's see what September has in store for us! See you next month! Also remember to tell us any doubts you have about the scores and stay tuned for the Fan Votes!

Wigglytuff

Professional Shadow Stitcher
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species (Results)

Yeah I messed up this month XD
I had copy pasted one of my other fake cards (it was an EX) and just changed all the names and attacks to use it as an outline, but I forgot to change the HP somehow, and ended up keeping 180 HP :(
And I also didn't know that Deltas kept their original Weakness. Oops.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Wigglytuff said:
Yeah I messed up this month XD
I had copy pasted one of my other fake cards (it was an EX) and just changed all the names and attacks to use it as an outline, but I forgot to change the HP somehow, and ended up keeping 180 HP :(
And I also didn't know that Deltas kept their original Weakness. Oops.

Haha, I figured, but it's not a big deal. Take into consideration that you had all points in Creativity and Wording, so that's good already! ;)

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

:O I won? Yaaaaaaay. :D Thanks, Luis. I'm glad you liked my card it. I probably shouldn't tell you I forgot to put "evolves from Duosion" on the card.

Congrats to the winners of image-based, and everyone else for their awesome entries! I was right when I said this month would get a lot of creativity out of you guys. Let's hope next month is even better than this one.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

Machamp The Champion said:
:O I won? Yaaaaaaay. :D Thanks, Luis. I'm glad you liked my card it. I probably shouldn't tell you I forgot to put "evolves from Duosion" on the card.

Congrats to the winners of image-based, and everyone else for their awesome entries! I was right when I said this month would get a lot of creativity out of you guys. Let's hope next month is even better than this one.

That's actually a -1, Machamp... Now that IA holds the results I can't change it. Dx Well, for all practical purposes:

1st Place: No one.
1st Place: MTC, SquirtleSquad and Xdog.

I'll see if I can get the Judging itself fixed.

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head

Luispipe8 said:
Machamp The Champion said:

That's actually a -1, Machamp... Now that IA holds the results I can't change it. Dx Well, for all practical purposes:

1st Place: No one.
1st Place: MTC, SquirtleSquad and Xdog.

I'll see if I can get the Judging itself fixed.

Yeah, I kinda rushed this month's entry. :\ At least now SquirtleSquad and Xdog get to win, too. lol

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker

Congarturations everyone!

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

GadgetJax said:
Congarturations everyone!

Whoops, that moment when I thought I forgot about your entry... and then remembered you were in Image. xDDDD

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

CMP, your logic works against you! Power creep between generations is exactly right, and there hasn't been a new Rayquaza card since Dragons Exalted in the BW era! A slight power creep from a card from Dragons Exalted isn't completely out of the question...
On average, Rayquaza gains 20HP with each generation (regular cards only, obviously). Because the attack is kinda strong, I only gave it a 10HP boost. The attack also has no guarantee of doing damage, hence a little more damage there.

And a lot of stuff about pixels! That's fine. I forgot to realign text boxes (and a heap of other stuff) after using the two-piece Mega Pokemon blanks (they're all built off one master PSD file, yay for laziness). I had to move everything around a split down the middle and a Mega Stone, and didn't move them back afterwards...
I could totally get around a lot of that pixel/alignment stuff by doing an animated card next month with my current animated card method sooooooooooo cue an evil laugh
I'm glad you liked the card overall, it was very fun to make! :D

This month was very fun, there were a lot of creative cards all around! Congratulations to the winners, and I can't wait until next month's Create-A-Card! ^_^

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!

I didn't even know they retained original weakness
Didn't play then. Oh well.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

AlexanderTheAwesome said:

Neither did I, had to take an exhaustive quick course on Delta Species myself. :p

Oh, and thanks to [mod]Turtwig[/mod], the correct results are now displaying. Thanks to you, and to MTC for your honesty! ;)

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

Luispipe8 said:
Neither did I, had to take an exhaustive quick course on Delta Species myself. :p

This type of theme (old mechanic with new Pokemon/format/era/etc) is really good for that: learning about the TCG. Its history, what it used to be, and how it could be applied to other eras of the TCG. I found that very interesting for this month~

professorlight

Ice Queen

Thanks for the advice and the symbols, CMP, I know I'll get to use them later.

But yeah, the blanks I had were taken from here years ago (it was those or base set/rocket, or BW, and I don't like BW blanks), and have been sitting in my computer since then, and some stuff was missing and I had to patch them with pieces taken from scans (STAGE 1, evolves from), so yeah.
But this was fun, I'll keep playing, for sure.

Anyway, here are the images; they're not anything special, really, the holosheet hides more than a few blemishes.

Auride

Periodic Visitor

For future reference, I'm a little more familiar with the competitive side of the game than many fakers here (as far as I can tell), so the way I balance cards isn't exactly obvious (or even perfectly correct) all the time.

The idea with Hydreigon-EX was to essentially force the player to use 1-prize attackers in order to gain any sort of advantage. It gives your opponent an incentive to bring up their 1 prize attackers to gain any sort of advantage. Because you give up prizes using the ability, it sort of accelerates itself through positive feedback. If you don't play it strategically, it can run away and lose you the game. Because the ability doesn't give you the choice of when to use it (sem Garbodor or Scoop Up), you have to be careful even when deciding if you should play it from your hand. It's a high-risk, high reward kind of card.

Even though "Brutal Command"'s effect doesn't seem that great, it greatly patches up the weakness of many stage 1 and 2 pokemon: their attacks are simply too expensive to justify getting them out AND attaching so many energy (especially since it leaves them vulnerable to Yveltal and Mewtwo-EX). By midgame, you could have a lot of pokemon attacking for 1 to 0 energy. Snorlax PLF, for example, becomes really scary when it's attacking for just a DCE.

To answer your question, yes, Hydreigon WOULD knock itself out if it attacked. Delta Meteor is in this weird place where it's a a cheap attack that blows things up, but it's only cheap in the mid-lategame (when your opponent has taken enough prizes), and it only blows things up in the early game, when you don't have too many pokemon in your discard pile (unless you use, say, use Sacred Ash). Attacking with Hydreigon would probably be a game-closing move, since it gives up 2 prizes when it KO's itself.

It's Psychic because the idea of a psychic-resistant psychic type appealed to me. There's literally none of those right now.

Besides all of that, this was a really fun contest. I look forward to next month, but I definitely WON'T be doing another full art...

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!

Auride said:
For future reference, I'm a little more familiar with the competitive side of the game than many fakers here (as far as I can tell), so the way I balance cards isn't exactly obvious (or even perfectly correct) all the time.

The idea with Hydreigon-EX was to essentially force the player to use 1-prize attackers in order to gain any sort of advantage. It gives your opponent an incentive to bring up their 1 prize attackers to gain any sort of advantage. Because you give up prizes using the ability, it sort of accelerates itself through positive feedback. If you don't play it strategically, it can run away and lose you the game. Because the ability doesn't give you the choice of when to use it (sem Garbodor or Scoop Up), you have to be careful even when deciding if you should play it from your hand. It's a high-risk, high reward kind of card.

Even though "Brutal Command"'s effect doesn't seem that great, it greatly patches up the weakness of many stage 1 and 2 pokemon: their attacks are simply too expensive to justify getting them out AND attaching so many energy (especially since it leaves them vulnerable to Yveltal and Mewtwo-EX). By midgame, you could have a lot of pokemon attacking for 1 to 0 energy. Snorlax PLF, for example, becomes really scary when it's attacking for just a DCE.

To answer your question, yes, Hydreigon WOULD knock itself out if it attacked. Delta Meteor is in this weird place where it's a a cheap attack that blows things up, but it's only cheap in the mid-lategame (when your opponent has taken enough prizes), and it only blows things up in the early game, when you don't have too many pokemon in your discard pile (unless you use, say, use Sacred Ash). Attacking with Hydreigon would probably be a game-closing move, since it gives up 2 prizes when it KO's itself.

It's Psychic because the idea of a psychic-resistant psychic type appealed to me. There's literally none of those right now.

Besides all of that, this was a really fun contest. I look forward to next month, but I definitely WON'T be doing another full art...

That awkward moment when you open your lone hydreigon.

Auride

Periodic Visitor

That awkward moment when you open your lone hydreigon.

That's why it's called Brutal Command!

rev3rsor

目がピアノを弾く

Nice work to everyone :D
I'm just waiting for the one person who should understand the concept behind my card, to comment on it :p

Squirtle Squad

Aspiring Trainer

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what a rookie error!!! Hahha as if I forgot those silly accents on the E's!!!

That's why I'm a rookie faker :( hahahaha

Congratulations to all the winners :) it was good learning about the delta species!

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer

Luis didn't judge my MissigNo. because it was too flawless even without knowing where attached cards go.
Congratulations to the winners! Hope I can participate next time xP