PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species (Congrats to the winners!)

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species

Let see what happen next

Kyurem EX (δ Delta Species) 180 HP [D]
Basic Pokémon

Ability - DNA Slice UP
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Black Kyurem EX or White Kyurem EX and switch it with Kyurem EX. (Any cards attached to Kyurem EX, damage counters, Special Conditions, and effects on it are now on the new Pokémon.) If you do, put Kyurem EX on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more than 1 DNA Slice UP Ability each turn.

[D][D][C] Raging Storm 100+
Discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded a Holon Energy card , this attack does 50 more damage.

weakness - [M] x2
resistence -
retreat cost - [C][C][C]

[When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.]

I think this card can speak for itself. I'm not sure if i took the appropriate example as i'm not really into the BW format nor do the XY format wording

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

[D] Cradily δ delta species
Keeper's Pokemon
Stage 1 (evolves from Lileep)
cradily.gif

Ability: Wretched Weed
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your benched Pokémon, you may attach as many basic [D] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon as you like.

[D][C] Birthday Bash 30+
Does 10 more damage for each Item card in play (both yours and your opponent's).

[D][D][D][D] Hide-and-go-Destroy
Does 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [F] Resistance: [W] Retreat [C][C][C]
It ensnares prey with its eight tentacles. It then melts the prey with a strong acid before feeding.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Keeper's Pokemon
cradily.gif

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your benched Pokémon, you may attach as many basic [D] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon as you like.

[D][C] Birthday Bash 30+
Does 10 more damage for each Item card in play (both yours and your opponent's).

Does 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.

It ensnares prey with its eight tentacles. It then melts the prey with a strong acid before feeding.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

GM DracLord said:
Let see what happen next

Basic Pokémon

Ability - DNA Slice UP
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your deck for a Black Kyurem EX or White Kyurem EX and switch it with Kyurem EX. (Any cards attached to Kyurem EX, damage counters, Special Conditions, and effects on it are now on the new Pokémon.) If you do, put Kyurem EX on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward. You can't use more than 1 DNA Slice UP Ability each turn.

Discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you discarded a Holon Energy card , this attack does 50 more damage.

weakness - [M] x2
resistence -
retreat cost - [C][C][C]

I think this card can speak for itself. I'm not sure if i took the appropriate example as i'm not really into the BW format nor do the XY format wording

I gotta say, Drac, I'm surprised you didn't went the old-timey way. I guess it's best for me! xD

Anyways, to all of the procrastinators out there, the deadline is one week from today, so get your entries going! :D

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special

Keeper's Pokemon
cradily.gif

When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Benched Pokémon, you may attach as many basic [D] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon as you like.

[D][C] Tumbling Bash 30+

Does 100 damage to 1 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

My avatar and this image are out of sync.
Deal with the fact your minds are imploding.

professorlight

Ice Queen

I better do it now, then, or I may forget, here is my entry, plus one.

Lilligant is my entry, petilil is not.

Lilligant%2520delta.jpg
Petilil%2520delta.jpg

I used HGSS blanks, but XY wording, since I prefer both; don't the HGSS blanks look so much better when they actually contain text?
The power scaling is somewhere near XY, and the attack style is around Gym or DP era, my favourites.

With this card I wanted to emphasize lilligant's grace and class, so the fairy type was a must (despite the fact that every other person here used it too; I guess we all wanted to play with the new toy); added to that, an ability that gives your opponent the choice on whether to let you get a free card or make extra damage, but does it politely.

The attack is a win-win coinflip, which I adore, and it's not too overpowered, since considering how powerful lilligants are (usually) it doing a protection plus card draw, or 30 plus card draw or 30 plus protection, or 60, didn't seem too excessive.

Amperglyph

Irresponsibly Colorful

professorlight said:
With this card I wanted to emphasize lilligant's grace and class, so the fairy type was a must (despite the fact that every other person here used it too; I guess we all wanted to play with the new toy); added to that, an ability that gives your opponent the choice on whether to let you get a free card or make extra damage, but does it politely.
I think it's only natural that there's so many Fairies this month - we've only got one chance to help even out the complete lack of Fairy in the Delta world, right?

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death

Luispipe8 said:
GM DracLord said:
Let see what happen next

Basic Pokémon

Ability - DNA Slice UP

weakness - [M] x2
resistence -
retreat cost - [C][C][C]

I gotta say, Drac, I'm surprised you didn't went the old-timey way. I guess it's best for me! xD

Anyways, to all of the procrastinators out there, the deadline is one week from today, so get your entries going! :D

Since Delta is already old timey...
I was planning to go back in time and do Neo era but.. to troublesome.

BigfootAUS

Game Dev & VR Consultant / Trainer

With all these Fairy Pokemon around, I guess there should be something for them to be super-effective against~
delta_species_rayquaza002.png

So with this Pokemon, I wanted to bring Delta Species Pokemon to my ORAS-predicted-era set's power level. Rayquaza-Delta has more HP and a lower Retreat Cost than the recent non-EX Rayquaza cards, and has the Delta Species fun of having a unique Ability and Attack.

The Ability encourages mixed decks, and is based on the wording of Lucario from Plasma Storm.
The attack is a fun addition to the TCG that allows you to "attack" in your turn, and then waits for your opponent to attack to actually do damage. It's kinda like the videogames in that regard, I guess. Wording is based on Plasma Freeze's Rock Guard, but uses damage instead of damage counters to make the most of the Ability.

With regards to the blank itself: The Delta Species rule is mostly the same, but with some improved grammar for the new era. "This Pokemon is both Psychic and Metal type." sounds better than "This Pokemon is both Psychic Metal type."
The holosheet for this blank has Greek delta symbols in the card border, with the Pokemon delta symbols randomly placed in the artbox. The borders and the symbols in the artbox are the only areas that would be holo if this were printed or animated.

Sorry for no animation in this month's entry. I couldn't nail down something with a real "wow" factor without cluttering the card, so I'm omitting it altogether. Maybe for November or December or something, once uni is done for the year... Those desperate to see what animation progress I made this month can look in my thread; you'd see a draft of this card, plus an old Klefki card.

Anyway, I hope everyone likes this entry! Everyone's Fairy Pokemon cards will finally have a punching bag! =P

Nod3

her majesty

Aargh I want to enter but I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to get a card done on time! And I don't want to lose points in the case of a next round.

Amperglyph

Irresponsibly Colorful

Nod3 said:
Aargh I want to enter but I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to get a card done on time! And I don't want to lose points in the case of a next round.
There's no danger of running out of slots this month, so you can always just work on the card and then announce you're entering as soon as it's done.

Zygarde

Z-Dawg

OK, I'm in for image.

... so it may be a bit buggy.

deltaporygonz_zps1b063c04.png

Grass because Bug type, Metal because vanilla Delta Species secondary type. I chose to make it Bug because Dubious Disc is some kind of 'pirate' upgrade, and succeptible to glitches and what not. Reassign stands for reassigning a variable value, in this case, an attack from a Pokémon EX. The attack name is a play on cache memory, referring to how it scrambles your discard pile and your deck. It helps getting resources (such as the infinite amount of EXes you'll be discarding) back. Its Retreat is double the usual amount for a Porygon-Z, since this one is buggy, it takes a bit more buffering time.​

Nod3

her majesty

Zygarde said:
OK, I'm in for image.

... so it may be a bit buggy.

deltaporygonz_zps1b063c04.png

Grass because Bug type, Metal because vanilla Delta Species secondary type. I chose to make it Bug because Dubious Disc is some kind of 'pirate' upgrade, and succeptible to glitches and what not. Reassign stands for reassigning a variable value, in this case, an attack from a Pokémon EX. The attack name is a play on cache memory, referring to how it scrambles your discard pile and your deck. It helps getting resources (such as the infinite amount of EXes you'll be discarding) back. Its Retreat is double the usual amount for a Porygon-Z, since this one is buggy, it takes a bit more buffering time.​

It looks like it could be real! One minor issue, the difference, or contrast, between the grey and the green in the type symbol are kind of "eyesore" so to speak.

Heavenly Spoon

Back???
Advanced Member

For the longest time I wasn't sure what to do with this theme. Then I came up with a pretty nifty Mew attack which sadly wouldn't really fit my current fake TCG set. I also tried to make Mew art based on the old Pokémon Red and Green sprite for the other Mew card in that set, and realised it sort of looked like a failed experiment. Putting 1 and 2 together gave me a pretty clear idea of what to do for this month's contest. Beware, as I might've made it a bit too disturbing.

wxJjZDX.png

The idea behind the art is that this thing is sort of Holon's failed attempt at a Mew clone, their very own Mewtwo. What we've seen from Holon is that they're all nice and friendly (see: Holon Lass), but to do these freaky type-changing things to Pokémon they have to do at least some experiments. And what better Pokémon to study when you want to manipulate Pokémon than Mew itself? This card sort of reveals the dark and sinister face of Holon behind the fair facade they've been presenting to us. Also, it's Mew so yay!

The card itself is based on Mew having access to everything within the Holon labs, considering it's connected with wires and whatnot. The Body uses the Holon's cards in a way we haven't seen before while also being faithful to the typical Mew trope of allowing it to use other Pokémon's attacks. The attack is a nod to Mew's ability to use every TM in the games.

The card uses my custom blanks partially because I'm so familiar with them now, and partially because I usually lose far too many points for placement issues which are sometimes the fault of the blanks rather than my own. I'm lazy and I want to win is what I'm trying to say. Any discrepancies between the tradition e-series placements and the placements on this card are totally deliberate and intended as an 'update'.

I've added an 'and' to the delta species rule because it always felt oddly missing to me in the old one. This is not a mistake, it is deleberate. Like everything else which looks like it might be a mistake. Even if I somehow misspelled 'discarp discard pile' again.

I would usually place the era for the cards using my custom blanks between Skyridge and ex-Ruby and Sapphire, but honestly this card would fit any pre-B&W format, considering it deals no damage by itself.

I wasn't sure I would be able to come up with something original this week (which is usually my primary goal), because I've been working on my set all month. But nevertheless I feel quite proud of what I've accomplished. I look forward to my inevitable 3rd place because I overlooked something stupid again.

Oh, and as always, here's a wallpaper. You know, for if you want to scare and alienate all your friends and family.

Huderon of Canossa

Deranged Tinkerer

I've put this off long enough I suppose.

MISMAGIUSdelta_zpse57707f0.png

I won't go too in depth with this one - mostly because this was a real slog to finish (mostly because of other happenings but that's neither here or there).

This is an idea of how the delta species mechanic may be reintroduced into the TCG I guess. Pokemon ex have been revamped as Pokemon EX, same kind of thing here. The capital delta symbol denotes a major change (rather than a slight one as indicated by the lowercase delta) and I tried to reflect that by showing the Pokemon itself in the midst of branching off into an entirely new species - hence the obvious physical changes from what you normally would expect of a Mismagius. I also wanted to keep the rule that delta pokemon still count as regular pokemon (mostly because in this case I wanted them to evolve from the regular misdreavus as well as delta misdreavus) - so I avoided putting delta in the name. I read on Bulbapedia that after the initial wave of Delta Pokemon - who were all electric/fire/metal mutations induced by Holon's Mew searching device, it has been theorised the other typed deltas are further generations introduced by the breeding of the initial generation with wild Pokemon. I liked that idea, and speculated this may be a way for new forms, and even species of Pokemon, may come about - hence my earlier comment about the Mismagius being in the middle of the transition.

Don't let my random Macbeth reference fool you, the inspiration actually comes from the folk tale of Hansel and Gretel - more specifically the witch that lives in a candy cottage in the middle of the woods. Only this instance the witch is actually a benevolent, if not destructively clumsy Pokemon. I wanted to stray from the usual creepy/evil pokemon art I am so prone to do. I'm not sure if I succeeded, really. The artwork is actually unfinished, I had planned on doing a proper background but time was not on my side this time. Better than nothing I suppose, no?

The idea was that this estranged Mismagius was busy living a mostly solitary life inventing all sorts of weird sweet potions and magical consumables using its fairy/grass attributes. Of course, she's also not very reliable - though she gets excited when more test subj - er visitors arrive so she can have them try out her newest product. Any negative effects are not intentional whatsoever - so I tried to show this in the card itself by having effects that deal with the opponent choosing rather than you. I guess flips would have fitted better but I don't like using that mechanic all that often. Plus some mind games, those are fun, right?

The attack/ability are really wonky as I really didn't want this Pokemon to be a good fighter on its own - it's more actually like a weird stall card that will punish the opponent if they make the wrong decision (using that Ability really would seem like a bad idea for the opponent - but temptation I guess). It's supposed to be a very annoying card - I added self Confusion in there too when it actually deals damage so that there is somewhat a balance.. meh. I guess in concept, Mismagius would be confused too if her tincture screws up in her guest's face.

Honestly I spent too much time tinkering with the card layout and less on the attacks/ability this round - I'll make sure not to do that next time!

Whew, still managed to write a bit. Best of luck to everyone!

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

Started judging tonight! Spent 2.5 hours on the first two cards. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow (and Thursday). :p

Zygarde

Z-Dawg

Huderon of Canossa: Oh my god. That must be one of the most gorgeous cards I've seen. Simple, classy and still a Delta Species. Absolutely love what you made with the dual type symbol. Incorporating the Fairy symbol 'star' into the Grass one.. Absolutely genius. I wasn't as fond of your use of uppercase delta until I saw that nifty golden triangle around the type orb. Creative spoilers and character-driven Pokédex entry show how much thought and love you put into this.

I'm trying to make this post classify under 'constructive criticism' instead of 'brbgoshing', but I can't find anything for you to improve on. 50/50 would collect.

edit: Ok, now I saw some wording issues, but they're quite minor compared to the whole thing. Mostly the use of 'they' instead of 'he or she' when refering to your opponent. Still, my favorite CaC entry this month so far.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor

CMP said:
Started judging tonight! Spent 2.5 hours on the first two cards. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow (and Thursday). :p

^ This. At least I have 2 entries done already, but Text-Based is stacked up. xD

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!

About four (and a half!) entries in, and after taking a good look at each card, I can't tell you guys how impressed I am with how each of you handled the Delta Species theme. It was a difficult one, sure, but you guys pulled it off (and them some). I know I sound like a parent, but you guys should be proud of yourselves!

Let the judging commence resume!