PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species (Congrats to the winners!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species

Luispipe8 said:
Zygarde said:
Are we free to discuss future CaCs themes on this thread while waiting for the results?

You might as well, why not? It'll keep you guys busy while I finish with the results. :p

To begin with, I told this to IA last month and he was so rude he ignored me(Just kidding, BTW):

Why not a RANDOM round? By the time you claim your spot in the Contest, a PM will be sent to you saying the Pokémon you were assigned. This would be done via Random.org.

Any thoughts about this Theme?

That seems like a cool theme. I had a couple more ideas for themes myself.

There could be one where you have to make either a full line of a Stage 2 Pokemon (so if you're making Charizard, you have to make Charmander and Charmeleon as well), or a Mega and it's EX pre-evolution. You (the judges) can chose to make it just 1 of them, if you wanted. This one might be a little exhausting for imaged-based, but I'm just throwing it out there.

The other idea I had is you could make a card of any type, then pair it up with a real life card and judge the card based off of how well it works in a deck with that real card. I think this idea would be cool, as it allows your cards to interact more with real cards, and makes you think about what your card would be like if it was real.

These themes both seem more oriented towards text-based, but if you think they'd fail as image-based themes, you could always have different themes for text and image. I'm sure you could think of really cool themes exclusive to image-based.

I was about to suggest Fossils... Until I remembered that they were only 11, not counting Pre-evos... :p

Different themes for image-based and text-based would be very cool!
I do like the 'random Pokemon' idea because it'll force me to work on Pokemon I don't normally have anything to do with.
I like the 'evolution line' idea, but I'm not sure how it'd work with branched evolutions such as Eevee or Slowpoke. And it would definitely be too much for some image-based users, but I think it'd be a good challenge for those that could handle it too.
I'm not sure about 'pairing a fake card with a real card' because isn't that where the Believability aspect of the judging comes in? Alternatively, you could make 2 or 3 fake cards and make them all have decent synergy as that month's theme.

Going off of the idea of giving image-based a separate theme, I think it'd be cool to make everyone use a custom blank. Brand new stuff.
A theme for both sides though: Baby Pokemon. Bringing them back to the TCG. (Admittedly there are only 18 Baby Pokemon, so I'm not sure how good that'll be for a full competition.)

Machamp The Champion said:
The other idea I had is you could make a card of any type, then pair it up with a real life card and judge the card based off of how well it works in a deck with that real card. I think this idea would be cool, as it allows your cards to interact more with real cards, and makes you think about what your card would be like if it was real.

Well, I already take that in mind when Judging. I look at the current format and look how good/bad and broken/underpowered it is considering how it pairs up with some other cards in there.

Sorry for the delay guys (been getting caught up with a few IRL things).

Voting is now open!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jJamrVGAf1U78Ja_TG7N3VibM7rMaUS4_2k309FkVlo/viewform?usp=send_form

(Closes on September 1st)

What if Scorch wins... WITH MISSING NO.? D:

Basic MissingNo. HP70
TCGMind

δ Delta Species
%21.png

No.000 ??? Pokémon HT: 10'0" WT: 3507.2 Ibs.

SF-Ability
Glitch Universe
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may flip a coin. If heads, turn your opponent's Active Pokémon face down. (That Pokémon cannot do anything). During your opponent's next turn, they may switch their Active Pokémon with one of their Prize cards, and flip that card face up. If it's a Pokémon, your opponent takes a Prize card. If it's a Trainer card, take a Prize card and your opponent adds that card to their hand. (They choose a new Active Pokémon). If it's anything else, both players draw a card and your opponent adds that card to their hand. (They choose a new Active Pokémon). You cannot use more than 1 "Glitch Universe" Ability per turn.

TCGMind
TCGWhite
Sky Attack 30

weakness
SF-None

resistance
SF-None

retreat
TCGWhite
TCGWhite

コメント さくせいちゅう​
You asked for it Luis.
Judge it as a bonus, if you will~

If only you were 24 hours early...

/me goes and steals Time Machine from Feathers.

As the subject of a future Create-a-Card Contest, how about new game mechanics? Introduce something completely original, such as a new type of Pokemon (along the lines of Lv.X, ex, EX, Delta, etc.), or perhaps something different entirely (such a new special rule, or effect type).

or

Create-an-Archetype!
Design a card to be the focus of its own, distinct deck archetype for competitive play (any era, of course). Submissions would come with a decklist and brief strategy blurb, similar to the format used in Deck Garage threads.

Auride said:
As the subject of a future Create-a-Card Contest, how about new game mechanics? Introduce something completely original, such as a new type of Pokemon (along the lines of Lv.X, ex, EX, Delta, etc.), or perhaps something different entirely (such a new special rule, or effect type).

That theme was done in January by Teal.

Auride said:
Create-an-Archetype!
Design a card to be the focus of its own, distinct deck archetype for competitive play (any era, of course). Submissions would come with a decklist and brief strategy blurb, similar to the format used in Deck Garage threads.

This idea could also work, but people who aren't as well-versed in the game will be at a severe disadvantage to the ones that are. I wouldn't be complaining if that was a theme, but I think a lot of people would.

I sent in my results a while ago, so they'll be posted once Luis finishes up Text-based!

Back in September we had a word challenge where each card had to feature the word Flash somewhere in the attack, Pokémon Power, Poké-Power, Poké-Body, or Ability. Would you guys be interested in a similar round?

It gives a lot of freedom in choosing Pokémon, type, Stage, era.

Machamp The Champion said:
There could be one where you have to make either a full line of a Stage 2 Pokemon (so if you're making Charizard, you have to make Charmander and Charmeleon as well), or a Mega and it's EX pre-evolution. You (the judges) can chose to make it just 1 of them, if you wanted. This one might be a little exhausting for imaged-based, but I'm just throwing it out there.
It's hard enough judging 10+ entries each month, so I don't think that would work well for Image-based. Even if only 1 card was actually judged, I'd want to make sure I was judging the card that would get the highest score...so I'd probably end up judging each card anyway. :p

Auride said:

or

Create-an-Archetype!
The new type of Pokémon is a neat idea (that I'd probably skip judging for that month), but it might be hard for some Image-based fakers with less experience making blanks. The Archetype is a nice idea, too, but not all Image-based fakers have the greatest grasp of the TCG...plus, judging takes long enough when judging individual cards, let alone entire decklists.

Yeah, I received them and confirmed that this month we (most probably) broke the word count again, so after I finish judging my side(I'm finishing up 9tailz's Clawitzer as we speak. Yeah, I'm a bit behind), I'll send all to Ice Arceus for him to post them. ;)

CMP said:
I sent in my results a while ago, so they'll be posted once Luis finishes up Text-based!

Back in September we had a word challenge where each card had to feature the word Flash somewhere in the attack, Pokémon Power, Poké-Power, Poké-Body, or Ability. Would you guys be interested in a similar round?

It gives a lot of freedom in choosing Pokémon, type, Stage, era.

I was never that big a fan of the Word Challenges, honestly. They were too open ended, and I felt the word wasn't that influential to people's attack/ability effects.

Another idea for a theme. Make a Pokemon with no attacks? Pokemon with only Abilities/Poke Powers/Bodies are usually really cool. At this point I'm just saying whatever comes into my head. :p

I'd like to see a month where a specific era of the tcg is the theme. It could be by generation, so that would allow for a bit of blank variety for image based (eg, if gen I was the theme, people could use both classic and gym blanks, or both dpt and hgss if gen IV, etc), while being a challenge for both image and text as fakers would need to adapt their entries to the wording used on that era. To me, the biggest advantage of these kind of themes is that people would need to work out of their comfort zone and use it as an opportunity to improve their overall tcg knowledge. Also, such themes could span for half an year, making themes not as random as in the past 3 months while not so boring like the overkill that was last year's thing with type based contests.

I'd love to do the random round next month :p

As someone who only ever does the pictures and nothing else... I don't really have a preference, I guess, since most of the work seems like it would be on PMJ's end for most of these ideas. I guess my own real preference would be to definitely not do something that involves multiple cards; not sure if I'd have the time/patience for that much art.

I used to make gen 3 fakes all the time. There are only a couple of them left on pb, though. I'm okay with doing past cards, though I haven't done gen 3 or 4 faking all the time and I've only done classic fakes once.

How far in advance are the rounds decided? I know you need to commission banners for them.

I think we should do ghost types seeing as the next set is ghost themed. It can be psychic or a brand new ghost typing!

Ghosts would be good as a theme in October - Halloween and such.

We could do Owner's Pokemon. Make a Pokemon that would be used by a certain person/place.

Stay calm, guys, results are not coming later than tonight. Hopefully just a couple hours more, so stay tuned!

Edit: Just 2 Entries to go! :D

Back