PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species (Congrats to the winners!)

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: Aug. 2014 - Delta Species

Amperglyph said:
9Tailz said:
The art didn't turn out quite as well as planned, but it looks a lot better on paper, and also when it isn't shrunk down all the way. Oh well, I tried. :p
I think you did an amazing job on the art. Obviously, entering text-based there's no requirement to do any sort of special art, so the fact that you went to that extra mile is remarkable in its own right.

Ice Arceus said:
I found the art to be rather fitting within the card (probably because the general pose just seems to match what you would normally see on an official TCG card). Definitely something you should consider doing more often, in my opinion! :)

I'm glad you like it! I'll definitely try to do it more often.

I'm not afraid to post this early even though I've been sitting on this art for like two days and I've just been feeling bleh when it comes to faking lately

pgjzX7R.png

all right so explanation time

I'm not good at using Photoshop. I can barely whip up traditional fakes, and whenever I try to go outside the box it turns out ridiculous.

So I kept things simple. Similar to the third-gen Pokemon ex and the sixth gen Pokemon-EX, I've decided to break away from the third gen Delta Species mechanic and actually include the

PMJ said:
So I kept things simple. Similar to the third-gen Pokemon ex and the sixth gen Pokemon-EX, I've decided to break away from the third gen Delta Species mechanic and actually include the

Include the what? Stop with these unintentional (I presume) cliffhangers...

Wow. My entire post, wasted.

Oh, come on, just because Athena's sitting out this month it isn't the end of the world.

I think your team did a pretty good job this month. It's hard to go wrong with an Aschefield blank, and I'd say you did a solid job. Anabel's art isn't far removed from some of the Vending Machine arts, so there's definitely official cards with art in a similar style.

My Entry (XY Era)

STAGE 1 Wigglytuff δ Delta Species HP180 [N]
Evolves from Jigglypuff
wigglytuff_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48oh.gif

NO.040 Balloon Pokémon HT: 3’03” WT: 26.5 lbs.
/Ability/ Bouncy Body
If any damage is done to this Pokémon by attacks (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, put 4 damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon.
[D][Y] Ferocious Leap 50
The Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed and Burned. Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.
Weakness Resistance
[Y] x2
Retreat: [C]
Wigglytuff's body is very flexible. By inhaling deeply, this Pokémon can inflate itself seemingly without end. Once inflated, Wigglytuff bounces along lightly like a balloon.

Dragon Type Wigglytuff!
Be afraid world…
BE AFRAID

Well, here is my entry, plus one.

Lilligant is my entry, petilil is not.

Lilligant%2520delta.jpg
Petilil%2520delta.jpg

I used HGSS blanks, but XY wording, since I prefer both; doesn't the HGSS blank looks so much better when it actually contains text?
The power scaling is somewhere near XY, and the attacks's style is around Gym or DP era, my favourites.

With this card I wanted to emphasize lilligant's grace and class, so the fairy type was a must; added to that, an ability that gives your opponent the choice on whether to let you get a free card or make extra damage, but does it politely.

The attack is a win-win coinflip, which I adore, and it's not too overpowered, since considering how powerful lilligants are (usually) it doing 20 plus protection, or 50 plus a card draw, or 80, didn't seem too much (by truly realistic XY standards it should probably make 40+ or something like that, or not, since it's not an EX).

fakemon_cansu_by_arcticwhite2000-d7v8wsw.png

So, here's my card. I've tried everything I can do to make sure it has no silly mistakes on it, but regardless, I think it still has a few minor mistakes here and there. It's a Fakémon; one of my starters from the fake games Kyanite and Fluorite. It was originally a grass type, and I thought it would be suitable to make it into a water type. I also like making shining Pokémon cards, so I thought why not make it Delta and Shining? Even though I'll be marked down for believability/playability, hopefully I'll get those creativity/originality points. Oh, and if you haven't noticed the little code on the bottom left, it says 'PB C4C 4UG'... And, I purposefully made the last move a tongue twister.

Amperglyph said:
Oh, come on, just because Athena's sitting out this month it isn't the end of the world.

I think your team did a pretty good job this month. It's hard to go wrong with an Aschefield blank, and I'd say you did a solid job. Anabel's art isn't far removed from some of the Vending Machine arts, so there's definitely official cards with art in a similar style.

I don't think you understood my post correctly.

I had written up a lengthy description of the card and apparently after I posted it, PokeBeach ate it because it doesn't like the delta symbol I used in my post. That's what I meant when I said my whole post was wasted - there was a lot more words that were eaten.

Fortunately, I was able to switch symbols, and apparently PokeBeach likes them, so it should be okay now.

Thankfully I remembered the "no editing" rule before I went and edited my post, so I'm just going to post it again.

Here's what I originally had:

I'm not afraid to post this early even though I've been sitting on this art for like two days and I've just been feeling bleh when it comes to faking lately

pgjzX7R.png

all right so explanation time

I'm not good at using Photoshop. I can barely whip up traditional fakes, and whenever I try to go outside the box it turns out ridiculous.

So I kept things simple. Similar to the third-gen Pokemon ex and the sixth gen Pokemon-EX, I've decided to break away from the third gen Delta Species mechanic and actually include the δ in the Pokemon's name. This was the easiest way for me to incorporate Delta Species into the card without trying to sully the quality of the blank by hacking it up to try and make one as cool as Amperglyph's. So we have Hawlucha δ.

"Ankle buster" has two meanings here. The first refers to what surfers call ankle busters, or small waves. The second meaning alludes to the extra damage potential of the attack, as an attack that will literally bust your ankles.

The second attack is Do the Wave all the way from Jungle Wigglytuff, powered up for gen 6. Note the "Pokemon δ" it refers to. It would get increased damage from any Pokemon with δ in its name (specifically it would exclude all old Delta Species Pokemon). However, when playing unlimited, the new Pokemon δ would be included when using a card that calls for a Pokemon "with δ on its card", because all Pokemon δ fit that description. The attack costs WWC only because of the absurd damage potential. I wanted to make it just WW, but even if I limited it to your own team that's still 120 for two and I didn't think even making the cost WCC would be good enough to balance it. The low HP holds it back from running rampant.

also, lel, wave, surfing, ho ho ho I'm so clever

I moved the Weakness symbol one pixel to the left, so it lines up with the attack effect text. The only things that might be off are the + and x symbols, and I don't care enough to move them. (If they're in the wrong spot, let me know where they should go and I'll remember that the next time I use them.)

It's the 19th of August and there are only two image based entries submitted.

I'm not mad, Pokébeach. I'm just disappointed.

Nod3 said:

August is a month of transition for a lot of people, so I think that's affecting this month more than anything check out last year's July versus last year's August. Now, granted, I wasn't around back then, so a more experienced member can define this more clearly, but the same sudden dropoff in participation happened from July to August last year, too.

I was refering to completion not participation. Participation looks normal-ish.

And what do you mean by transition?

Gee, maybe image-based should have a mid-month deadline instead of an end-month deadline. [/sarcasm]

Image-based entries usually come in later in the competition, so this sort of thing isn't exactly new behavior.

Nod3 said:

For image-based, I'd imagine there would be a spike of completed entries much closer to the deadline - perhaps you'll see most of them a couple of days prior to the deadline.

As for myself, I just need to finish the illustration - the rest of my card is good to go :p
I even have the unfinished one on my dA x'D

Here comes another image text entry! Sorry to disappoint you.
Crobat STAGE 2 130 HP [M] δ Delta Species
NO. 169 Bat Pokémon HT: 5'11" WT: 165.3 lbs.
Ability Moderate
If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon and would be damaged by an opponent's attack, and that attack would do more than 50 damage, that attack does 50 damage instead.
[M][C][C] Scizzor Wing 40x
Flip 4 coins. This attack does 40 damage times the number of heads. If this attack would do more than 120 damage, this attack does 120 damage instead.

weakness [L] x2
resistance [G][F] -20
retreat

"Having metal wings allows it to be stronger in combat but makes it more difficult to fly silently and swiftly."

BW wording. Man, that wording was awkward.
There's one user who's going to understand the motive behind this card, and you know who you are :p

Got a little bit of time to do my entry for this, so here it is:

Ninetales (δ Delta Species) 100 HP [P]
Stage 1 Pokémon - Evolves from Vulpix
038.gif

#38. Fox Pokémon HT: 3'07", WT: 43.9 lbs.

[Ability] Eternal Curse
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, whenever your opponent
flips any coins for an attack, treat those flips as tails.

[P][R] Ghostfire -- 30
Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Burned and Confused.

[P][C][C] Kitsune's Revenge -- 40+
You may discard as many Supporter cards from your hand as you like. Then,
this attack does 10 more damage for each Supporter in your discard pile.

Weakness - [W] // Resistance - none // Retreat - [C]

Very smart and very vengeful. Grabbing one of its many tails could result in a
1,000-year curse.

I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to drop out. It's taking a bit longer to finalize the art than I thought, plus I don't think it will work well for the style of fake I had in mind. I could edit some blanks to make it work better, but I don't see myself getting it done by deadline. :(

Yay I got my entry in. Oh who am I kidding? I've had this made for like 2 weeks, but kept being too lazy to post this. Well, here it is now, I guess.

Stage 2 // Reuniclus δ delta species // HP90 [Y]
reuniclus.gif

NO. 579 Multiplying Pokémon HT: 3'03" WT: 44.3lbs.

[Ability] Overtake
Once at the end of your turn, if you have 6 Stage 2 δ Pokémon in play, you may choose to win the game.

[C][C] Multiply
Search your deck for a δ Pokémon with the same name as 1 of your Benched δ Pokémon and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

weakness [P] X2
resistance
retreat [C][C]

When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power.

I know that in the ex era, Delta Pokemon referred to other Deltas as Pokemon that have δ on their card, but I feel like if the mechanic was reintroduced in the XY era, they would simply call them δ Pokémon. That old wording is just needlessly awkward.

[D] Lileep δ delta species
Basic
lileep.gif

Ability: Evil Regrowth
Whenever you play this Pokémon to your bench with the affect of Root Fossil, you may attach as many basic [D] Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon as you like.

[C][C] Multiply
Search your deck for a δ Pokémon with the same name as 1 of your Benched δ Pokémon and put it onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.

weakness [P] X2
resistance
retreat [C][C]

[align=right]When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power.
[/spoiler]

Here's my entry.
iTFAWD2.png

This was an incredibly difficult project to pull off, but I think it's come together fairly well considering it's my first full art and my second image-based fake in general. The art started from a hand-drawn sketch, which was then shaded in in Photoshop (far more meticulously than in my last entry), and generally refined until I was happy with it.

I've chosen to make a few modifications to the old delta species scheme to bring it into the XY era. I've chosen to replace the colored "aura" that they used to give them with an outline of the same color (as opposed to the standard gold). The other change is removing the delta symbol from it's own place on the card, instead subtly fusing it with the EX symbol (did you notice?).

As for the actual card's mechanics, the wording was tough but I found a source for almost everything. The ability is Drifblim PLB + Lucario PLS + Plusle ex Dragon (literally the only remotely similar wording I could find, but maybe you can do better). The attack is almost equivalent to Flareon PLF.

You can see view the raw artwork used on the card here,
Fun Fact: There are exactly 50 layers in the .psd for this fake!

Back