Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2017 - PokéDex Colours - Results Are Up!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
5AIWFnS.jpg

Welcome to the April round of the Create-A-Card!

The theme for this month is PokéDex Colours! This theme is based around this list of Pokémon, and associating each colour with a card type. As shown by this table, the card type of the Pokemon you choose will correlate with their colour in the PokéDex, not their actual type. A bit like the Delta Species Pokemon! For example, Eelektross must be a [W] card, as it is classified as blue. You cannot pick a Pokemon that has a type that is the same as its colour, however. For example, you cannot make a Weavile card; its type is [D] already, and its colour is black.

As an artist, you will not be restricted to a specific card era when creating your card. However, if not otherwise stated, we will be assuming that the card you create is for the current TCG era.

This contest has two sections, text-based and image-based fakes. For text-based fakes, all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the image-based fake, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them: your cards must be completely original!

Registration

• To sign up you must reply to the thread below. Make sure to include whether you’re in for text or image-based fakes!
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 15 spaces now 20 spaces available for text-based entries and 15 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based fakes is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Pokédex Information

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This should be a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve innovating new gameplay mechanics, blanks, templates, etc.
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Believability/Playability
    Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it’s still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, You may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

So that’s the point breakdown for this month’s Create-A-Card. @Luispipe8 will be judging the text-based portion of the contest and @Jabberwock will be judging the image-based part.

General Rules

• For those entering image-based you will have to include this logo OR this one on your card or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. Alternate Set Symbol #1, Alternate Set Symbol #2. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done!
    --
  • Participants who fail to submit a card by the deadline will automatically lose 2 points for next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). You must drop out by the 22nd of April at 12 PM to not incur the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • All CAC entries should not be posted elsewhere in the PokéBeach forums while the current month’s contest is ongoing. If you have a personal thread or gallery where you post your fake card creations, you must wait to post your CAC card there until the contest is complete and full judging results have been posted. This is to ensure that CAC judges can continue to give proper feedback both within the contest and in the forums.
    --
  • Members will be able to weigh in on their favorite fakers! Members are free to vote for ONE text-based entry and ONE image-based entry, both spectators and entrants, though we encourage participants to not vote for themselves. A poll will be linked in-thread shortly after the deadline has passed, or votes can be PMed to myself (@bbninjas).
    --
  • Artists (illustrators) are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • When making your fakes be sure to follow forum rules; if you are using someone else’s art be sure you have their permission to use it or it is otherwise considered art theft.

Deadline: April 27th (Thurs.) 12:00pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. Blui
  2. Kangaflora
  3. TylerRVG
  4. J.Cole
  5. Jadethepokemonmaster & Yog
  6. pokesage101
  7. wonderful_whismur
  8. Crystal_Pidgeot
  9. NyanCatXD
  10. Deku
  11. NinJamezor
  12. ThatOneHoundoomLover
  13. WastedSkyPirate
  14. ProfessorLight
  15. MarshalBry
  16. TheR3DX
  17. Nod3
  18. THIS COULD BE YOU!

Text-Based:
  1. Celever
  2. double o squirtle
  3. NinjaPenguin
  4. TheFlyingPidove
  5. Lunarwork
  6. ZygardeChronicles
  7. Little Cherrim
  8. Tails
  9. SneaselGenesis
  10. Adam Ryder
  11. garchompcrescent
  12. Professor Palutena
  13. Lord o da rings
  14. thegrovylekid
  15. rainyman123
  16. John InCENAroar
  17. Scorched Feathers
  18. Vracken
  19. Vom
  20. Niteclaw1028
===TEXT-BASED IS NOW FULL!===

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!

Code:
[url=http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/pok%C3%A9beach-create-a-card-april-2017-pok%C3%A9dex-colours-sign-ups-open.139291/][img]http://i.imgur.com/5AIWFnS.jpg[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo for the banner.

Last edited:

Celever

Wheeeee~
In for text-based!

I hope y'all appreciate the subtle hint we gave you with the April Fool's edition of the competition. Technically the theme is colours, just not in the same way. :p

I still think my banner should've been used in the final contest though.

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
This time I won't be beaten to signups (though I unfortunately won't be able to be judged on my Celeverness either). In for text-based.

Lunarwork

Just causing a total lunar eclipse....
Scizor - {R} - HP120
Stage 1- Evolves from Scyther
NO. 212- Pincer Pokémon- HT. 5'11" WT. 260.1 lbs

Ability- Metalflame Depressor
If this Pokemon were to be damaged by an attack from a {M} or {R} Pokemon,
flip a coin. If heads, damage done to this Pokemon from {M} and {R} Pokemon
is reduced by 30. If tails, this Ability does nothing. (You can't use this Ability more
than once in your turn and you can't prevent more than 90 damage in this
way.

{R}{M}- Flame Crunch - 30
Flip a coin after your attack. If heads, if this Pokemon has more than 2 {R}
Energy cards attached to it, you may search your deck for a Special Energy
card and attach it to one of your benched Pokemon. If tails, discard an Energy card attached
to this Pokémon.

{R}{C}{C} - Lightspeed Flame - 110
You may discard a Special Energy card attached to this Pokemon. If you do, search your opponent's deck for
up to 2 Trainer cards and search your deck for 2 Energy cards. You may switch the effects of those cards and
shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness- {W} x2
Resistance- {P} -20
Retreat- {C}
This Pokémon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object
it gets ahold of into bits.

EDIT: Just had to change something AGAIN. I'll take the 6 point deduction.

Last edited:

Lunarwork

Oh, and for my entry (its other aspect for Scizor, this doesn't count for points)-

Scyther- {G} -HP80
Basic Pokémon
NO. 123- HT. 4'11" WT. 123.5 lbs

{G} - Fury Cut - 30
Discard an Energy Card attached to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

{G}{C} - Leaf Storm
Flip a coin. If heads, you may put 4 damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon
in any way you like.

Weakness- {R} x2
Resistance- {F} -20
Retreat- {C}{C}
It tears and shreds prey with its wickedly sharp scythes. It very rarely spreads its wings out to fly.

Last edited:

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Here's my entry.

I hope I haven't messed up big style like I have my past fakes.

cac_s_kadabra_by_kangaflora-db4eupt.png

Adam Ryder

Aspiring Trainer
Text-based please!

So the pokemon has to be the same colour as a card type but can't be it's own card type? I think I can do this!

Lunarwork

And for Kanga, the fact he did a Kadabra is very much a good card ethic of defiance (Uri Geller) , which means I like it.