Finished PokéBeach Big Brother: House of Horrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
therefore I have some people to contact and will have to work out that solution I wasn't looking towards.

Oh god. I honestly have no way to write this into the flavour of the game like I would every update. But as the game needs to be informed, I have to make another revision. Out of flavour. Again.

@quakingpunch73 has joined the jury as the last houseguest to die before the introduction of the Haunted! The Jury has once again been rounded out to its proper amount of seven members, two of which have still not asked any questions (@mirdo and the mentioned Quaking) and five of you have yet to submit your final votes on the winner!

You're just a few hours over having four days remaining for your votes, and three days remaining for questions!

Alright guys, it's me again, in flesh, or ghost body, whatever it's called. Whatever it is, I suppose its only fitting, considering that in this game, your ghosts will come back to haunt you, whether you like it or not.

I'm going to start with Blakers. Right now you talk a big game, and you certainly made some big moves throughout the game, pulling off numerous blindsides without a hitch. But were your big moves necessarily good moves? Was getting rid of loyal allies in myself, NP, and Hermes really worth it? From my point of view, we were close allies and I was never going to betray you the way you did to me. All of this reeks of bad judgement on your part, and it seems like you were playing more for Lorde than yourself. You two played near identical games, but all of your big moves benefitted Lorde more than yourself. Actions speak louder than words, and your actions throughout the game have painted the picture that you were merely Lorde's puppet throughout the game. @Blakers my question to you is: What was one time you went against Lorde's wishes and made a move that had a noticable effect on the game and benefited you as well?

Now, onto Lorde. You've definitely got a reputation around here, having been the host of the first two seasons and winner of the third. However, your game was only clean because of the fact that you started off in a better position than anyone else here because of your reputation alone. You were a bit privileged when it came to having allies in this game because of that, compared to others, who started off with practically no one. However, your game is drastically less impressive because of that fact. Your big moves came from the fact that you already had allies going into the game, who were more than willing to work with you. In retrospect, starting off the game with no allies and making it this far is more impressive than your situation throughout the season. @Lord o da rings my question to you is: Why should we vote for you when you started this game off with an abundance of allies, compared to someone who started off with almost no allies?

Finally we have TE, the finalist who is the biggest enigma to me. From what I understand, you worked with quite a limited group of people, contributed little to alliance discussion, and were just floating through this game with little agency. However, I want to hear from you about your entire game so far. @TOTAL_EPICNESS my question to you is: Can you give me a play-by-play of your game every week and explain your contributions to your alliances to the jury?

Thank you guys and Violet so much for making this an amazing season! My vote is still up in the air, and even if I was a bit harsh, I still love all you guys and there are no hard feelings either way. We'll have to discuss everything after this season is over!

Now, onto Lorde. You've definitely got a reputation around here, having been the host of the first two seasons and winner of the third. However, your game was only clean because of the fact that you started off in a better position than anyone else here because of your reputation alone. You were a bit privileged when it came to having allies in this game because of that, compared to others, who started off with practically no one. However, your game is drastically less impressive because of that fact. Your big moves came from the fact that you already had allies going into the game, who were more than willing to work with you. In retrospect, starting off the game with no allies and making it this far is more impressive than your situation throughout the season. @Lord o da rings my question to you is: Why should we vote for you when you started this game off with an abundance of allies, compared to someone who started off with almost no allies?
First off, interesting question, and nice to see you made the jury! But in my opinion starting standings can influence the game, but I don't think it should really matter when it comes down to who you pick. I'm not going to argue making it this far without as many connections isn't impressive (especially since I don't really see it as a major factor), but I am going to argue you thinking I started this game in the best spot out of anyone.

Hermes proved incredibly useful, but as far as my "reputation" extended that's as far as it went. LC + TE originally worked with NP, not myself, and when it came to your blindside especially a lot of work had to go into it (only flipping TE, as NP ultimately voted FL in case you returned and LC was on TDW). Then there's the NP eviction, where I put myself in an even better spot. LC and I had not spoken privately once all game, but once NP was gone we never seemed to stop. I used that to gain his trust (and potentially TE's but I'm unsure), and the fact Blakers was now this perceived traitor to get my foot in the door, so that if I needed to I could get LC or TE to bring me to the end over Blakers (and as evidenced by the silver bullet, that logic worked flawlessly).

Nick was strategically useless, and was just another number in my circles. Blakers was working with Cody (who had at the time more potential to steal competitions) and Cody's eviction was actually motivated to help put me in the best spot in the first place (alliance or "safety agreement" that's still a vote in your favour) since Blakers had him and since Cody would've targeted me for sure down the line. I definitely started in a good position, but so did most of the imperials (you, NP, Blakers), we were all in multiple circles that had potential to run the game. I made moves (whether they were actual votes, working people, etc) to put myself in the best possible position, and I think the perception that I specifically had a better start than any of you is straight up wrong. I started in a good position, yeah, but so did the rest of you, and the reason my position continued to get better over the course of the game as opposed to yours was because I was making the best moves to situate myself in better positions as the game progressed. I openly admit I was looking out for myself above anyone, and I made the moves I believed would help me the most in coming weeks as opposed to others. That is why I am here.

I'm going to start with Blakers. Right now you talk a big game, and you certainly made some big moves throughout the game, pulling off numerous blindsides without a hitch. But were your big moves necessarily good moves? Was getting rid of loyal allies in myself, NP, and Hermes really worth it? From my point of view, we were close allies and I was never going to betray you the way you did to me. All of this reeks of bad judgement on your part, and it seems like you were playing more for Lorde than yourself. You two played near identical games, but all of your big moves benefitted Lorde more than yourself. Actions speak louder than words, and your actions throughout the game have painted the picture that you were merely Lorde's puppet throughout the game. @Blakers my question to you is: What was one time you went against Lorde's wishes and made a move that had a noticable effect on the game and benefited you as well?
Ultimately, the point of betraying you and NP was that you were unpredictable. I didn’t think that either of you could realistically target me without upsetting a lot of people, unless it was at the very end. But you two are both unpredictable players, and I didn’t want to take the chance of you building up webs of connections that could outclass my own. Quaking had FL locked down completely, and tried to set up an alliance with TE that I talked TE out of. NP was probably going to be LC and TE’s number three, and he was getting to be one of the few mirdo trusted. In both of your situations, I decided that you were fires that had to be put out before you could grow to be too large. Since after probably a week or two more, if you really wanted to, which I wasn’t sure if you did, @quakingpunch73 you could have held the social prowess to take me out.

Lorde was not somebody who I had that problem with. She told me everything throughout the game, and I knew that she could never target me, and I could never target her, because it would be social suicide for the one orchestrating it, assuming it would even work. So there wasn’t a reason for me to go against what she wanted, and more often then not, the moves that we decided upon were things that I initially suggested first. I will say, however, that cutting Hermes for her was probably worse judgement than anything you could argue for me. Hermes was seemingly loyal to her to a fault, and she would beat him easily in the end, because she would’ve essentially carried him through a game that he lacked social webbing in. If she had chosen not to use the Idol at Top Six, she would have had the potential to be everybody’s number one going into the final four, and I think if she would have thought of it herself instead of listening to me and everyone else, and done it, she would be the clear winner of this game. So while it wasn’t going against her wishes, I think that I was at least able to paint up the picture that Hermes was unbeatable at the end and sell it to multiple people, when Hermes player worse than both me and her.

I will say, however, that cutting Hermes for her was probably worse judgement than anything you could argue for me. Hermes was seemingly loyal to her to a fault, and she would beat him easily in the end, because she would’ve essentially carried him through a game that he lacked social webbing in. If she had chosen not to use the Idol at Top Six, she would have had the potential to be everybody’s number one going into the final four, and I think if she would have thought of it herself instead of listening to me and everyone else, and done it, she would be the clear winner of this game. So while it wasn’t going against her wishes, I think that I was at least able to paint up the picture that Hermes was unbeatable at the end and sell it to multiple people, when Hermes player worse than both me and her.
I'm gonna defend myself here, the reason I wanted Hermes out of the picture was for all either of us knew he could easily get his way through competitions. There's also no reason he couldn't have flipped, and if he did so while in power I would've been the one going home. He had every reason to do so, just because he didn't look like he would doesn't mean he didn't have plans to do so later, as some means of revenge. As far as he knew, you didn't do anything to harm him specifically, and he easily would've seen LC as an easier goat to the finish line than either of us (and he would've cut me because, as I said, I betrayed him).

You saying it was a lapse in judgement is simply false, it was entirely thought out and the rationale for it was sound. You didn't sell me on that one, Hermes should've been the one to go and I knew that w/o you "suggesting" anything to me. In fact, It's hard to remember what you explicitly "sold me" on. Quaking is really the only one I can think of, but I sold myself on that idea when I did some digging into the votes and found he was actively working against the agenda.

There's also no reason he couldn't have flipped, and if he did so while in power I would've been the one going home. He had every reason to do so, just because he didn't look like he would doesn't mean he didn't have plans to do so later, as some means of revenge. As far as he knew, you didn't do anything to harm him specifically, and he easily would've seen LC as an easier goat to the finish line than either of us (and he would've cut me because, as I said, I betrayed him).
He didn’t care when he saw that you planned to manipulate him, he didn’t care when I threw your name out as a potential nominee, he didn’t even care when you nominated him and said you needed him gone. I think the odds of him flipping on you were pretty slim.

He didn’t care when he saw that you planned to manipulate him, he didn’t care when I threw your name out as a potential nominee, he didn’t even care when you nominated him and said you needed him gone. I think the odds of him flipping on you were pretty slim.
I thought this was the point where we were supposed to stop lying, so I'm going to kindly request you do that. Thought you were supposed to be "the honest player" smh.

>Hermes didn't care because he wanted to prove he wasn't one of them. I'm still mad at Nick for openly inviting him to that same conversation, but Hermes had no allies and was looking for some, his reaction was perfectly logical.
>He actually did and he told me about it, told me I should be worried about you. I told him not to worry about it.
>He actually did and considered our alliance "off" the second he was nominated Week 7. But he proposed a deal to try and renew it. I'm not saying he was/wasn't loyal, but he definitely did care. And for all even I know that could've been an attempt at regaining my trust so that I didn't see a blindside coming.

I thought this was the point where we were supposed to stop lying, so I'm going to kindly request you do that. Thought you were supposed to be "the honest player" smh.

>Hermes didn't care because he wanted to prove he wasn't one of them. I'm still mad at Nick for openly inviting him to that same conversation, but Hermes had no allies and was looking for some, his reaction was perfectly logical.
>He actually did and he told me about it, told me I should be worried about you. I told him not to worry about it.
>He actually did and considered our alliance "off" the second he was nominated Week 7. But he proposed a deal to try and renew it. I'm not saying he was/wasn't loyal, but he definitely did care. And for all even I know that could've been an attempt at regaining my trust so that I didn't see a blindside coming.

>Nothing was stopping him from gathering other allies and outing your game and bringing you down, he had multiple chances in pre jury to do this.
>I think you misinterpreted that statement. I mean that I offered him up the idea of taking out the person who planned to manipulate him, and he still didn’t take it. Of course he would warn you about me in that case, since I had said I wanted you gone, even if it wasn’t true.
>There’s no way that he would’ve explicitly told you that your alliance was off if he tried to keep it going with a deal. That’s entirely counterproductive, and as for a blindside on you, he didn’t contact anybody to try to piece this together, and he definitely would’ve known that something like that would need votes in his corner.

>Nothing was stopping him from gathering other allies and outing your game and bringing you down, he had multiple chances in pre jury to do this.
>I think you misinterpreted that statement. I mean that I offered him up the idea of taking out the person who planned to manipulate him, and he still didn’t take it. Of course he would warn you about me in that case, since I had said I wanted you gone, even if it wasn’t true.
>There’s no way that he would’ve explicitly told you that your alliance was off if he tried to keep it going with a deal. That’s entirely counterproductive, and as for a blindside on you, he didn’t contact anybody to try to piece this together, and he definitely would’ve known that something like that would need votes in his corner.
>And we've already discussed how there's literally no one more socially isolated not only in this game, but out of these players on the site than Hermes. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to but had no way to go about doing it. He wouldn't approach you since your loyalty to me was "confirmed" in his eyes, the only people he would've been able to talk to were LC, TE, and mirdo. None of which he had contact with! Something very important to note here is Hermes never actually opened conversation with anyone, whenever he was approached people came to him first.

>Because at that point I'd done nothing to him, why would he betray me? I assume you're talking about the whole Quaking eviction device, where you through out the names of the past winners (Quaking and myself). Yeah he told me about what you'd said, but why would he have a reason to betray me at that point when I'd done nothing to him? Especially with both of us throwing Quaking's name out there? The logical window for him to reasonably get rid of me didn't actually form until 2 weeks later.

>After he was nominated, he was basically like "well it's been fun, but I guess we're not working together anymore". It wasn't until after he won that POV that he tried to strike up a deal. I'll send you a screenshot of it once this is all over.

And we've already discussed how there's literally no one more socially isolated not only in this game, but out of these players on the site than Hermes. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to but had no way to go about doing it. He wouldn't approach you since your loyalty to me was "confirmed" in his eyes, the only people he would've been able to talk to were LC, TE, and mirdo. None of which he had contact with! Something very important to note here is Hermes never actually opened conversation with anyone, whenever he was approached people came to him first.
We’re talking about two very different time periods of the game here. I’m talking about the perjury, when he thought I was against you, and he had two HOH reigns to try to bring down the person who he knew would try to manipulate him. Of course he didn’t have a way to get rid of either of us in the top 6, I was HOH and he knew we were working together. But my point is that he knew you couldn’t be trusted from the get go, and yet he made no attempt to get rid of you. Discounting the fact that he allegedly told you the alliance was over, you wouldn’t have had any reason to think otherwise, because he had been incredibly loyal thus far.
>After he was nominated, he was basically like "well it's been fun, but I guess we're not working together anymore". It wasn't until after he won that POV that he tried to strike up a deal. I'll send you a screenshot of it once this is all over.
That’s some incredibly fishy logic, but fine, I’ll take your word for it.

@Lord o da rings, @TOTAL_EPICNESS, @Blakers:
Which one of you played me the hardest?
Lorde or Blakers, between them I can’t really choose who (probably Lorde tho)
@TOTAL_EPICNESS Last season, the most memorable part of you playing the game was being unaware of Jessica stealing your boyfriend. This season, you're in the finale, and though your humor may be on par with that of with last season, I don't think your game has anything that I'll being remembering nine months down the line. What was the largest move you made this game?
I did not make many large moves like some other competitors, however I don’t feel that in order to win or be successful in this game you need some sort of massive move that totally blows everyone out of the water. But if I had to pick one it would be when I gained the advantage in week 4 as it showed how I was able to predict what Violet as the hostess would and wouldn’t do.
Sorry for not being active, I haven’t had a chance to get on here lately, but quickly looking at the thread, there is only one thing I want to ask the survivors. Is there any reason you want the other players to win, and why?
If I were on the jury the reason I would vote for one of the other players would be their social abilities and their ability to predict what would happen in the future of the game. but i don't want them to win so please ignore that and focus on their negative aspects.
I’ll answer Quaking’s question soon but I’m on mobile rn and don’t have time

If I were on the jury the reason I would vote for one of the other players would be their social abilities and their ability to predict what would happen in the future of the game. but i don't want them to win so please ignore that and focus on their negative aspects.
As someone who’s been a part of the jury three times before, it’s only fair to all the finalists that everyone has their pros and cons equally weighed, and that’s what I’ve always done when I have placed my vote.

I did not make many large moves like some other competitors, however I don’t feel that in order to win or be successful in this game you need some sort of massive move that totally blows everyone out of the water. But if I had to pick one it would be when I gained the advantage in week 4 as it showed how I was able to predict what Violet as the hostess would and wouldn’t do.
I still maintain that you didn't know that because if you knew exactly how she would've operated you wouldn't have gone to talk to her during Dainslef. And in my opinion deciding who deserves to win over what the host did as opposed to their opponents is generally a crummy way to pick a winner. The host isn't playing this game, we are.
Alright the bolded pisses me off. The jury is in an ideal world impartial, and decides the winner with as little bias as possible, while also weighing the pros and cons of each player's gameplay equally. You suggesting that you want the jury to ignore the good things about specifically your opponents is hugely upsetting not only as another finalist but as someone who's hosted two of these games. It simply isn't fair.

You have almost 48 hours remaining to get your votes in!
Keep in mind that you also have almost 24 hours remaining for questions as well as the finalists answering those questions, as those are on a different deadline by 24 hours.

The following jury members have yet to ask questions:
@mirdo

The following jury members have yet to submit a vote:
@mirdo
@Brave Vesperia
@NinjaPenguin
@quakingpunch73

Last edited:
Jury Questioning is now closed! No player, alive or dead is allowed to comment on this thread until the next update.

Due to reaching our first deadline of the finale, discussion in this thread will be forbidden until I release the next update. The only discussion allowed will be in the game's Jury chat.
...The reason for that being I have only received 3 out of 7 votes. The game will end early if a single finalist gains the majority of 4 votes and you will be notified in-thread once this happens. Jury members are allowed to change their vote as long as it's before the deadline, or the final vote is submitted, whichever comes first.

The jury members who have not yet voted are:
@mirdo
@Brave Vesperia
@NinjaPenguin
@quakingpunch73

The jury may continue to discuss all aspects of the game, including their vote choice, to the other members of the jury.

Your final deadline for votes is in 24 hours, or until October 30th at 5:00PM PST. You will not be given any extension.
Here is your countdown!

8wYE8oT.png

F i n a l e N i g h t - E n d g a m e

The screaming finally dies down after so long. You'd be sure you'd gone deaf by this point if you couldn't still hear the Hostess and her continued giggling...

"Well now, I believe we've come to a final decision, haven't we, victims?"

The Haunted begin to shake from their ropes and continue to scream before she raises her hand, silencing them. She giggles again.

"Good good, I'm glad. Now, I'm sure one of you will be happy to end this torturous game, wouldn't you?"

You're still not sure if you believe that you're leaving safely tonight. Knowing her, you're sure she's got something up her sleeves...

"Well, first of all we've got to do something fun."

She gets up from her throne and snaps her fingers. As if the ropes were cut at the top, the Haunted all fall from the ceiling, along with the ropes keeping their necks airborne.

She grabs the rope as you watch helplessly. Your head is still ringing from the screams. Casually, she walks over and begins tying your hands and feet with the ropes. You try to move and stop her, but you simply don't have the strength after being kept up for days endlessly from constant screaming.

"Now that we're all prepared... I believe it's time for the big reveal!"

She grabs the Axe of Despair and pulls a letter from the seat of her throne. She smiles and opens the letter.

Lorde, the Reigning Queen: Riding the wave straight from her victory in BB3, Lorde entered the game wishing for a jury spot and ended up pulling the game and taking another finale spot. With her strong social ties and competitive power, she ran through the game exactly like she was used to last game, her past victory not only giving her guidance on how to take the finale once again, but her strong social ties continuing to pull her through and manipulate the game once again.
She's proven her spot as the queen of the game twice, but will the jury really support a two-time winner?

Blakers, the Unlucky King: After three fourth-place finishes in previous forum games, Blakers was finally able to break through the streak and finish with a finale spot this game. Immediately teaming up with Lorde and becoming each other's ride or die, he easily started off with a strong ally. However, he also showed his own strength in orchestrating the team's planning and won enough competitions to tie for first-place wins with Lorde and Hermes, showing strength and perseverance.
He's been secure the entire game, but can he really push past the other competitors to show he's worthy of a win over his allies?

TOTAL_EPICNESS, the Cunning Joker: TE, while not a previous finisher, was shown as an important player by devising the tricks of the house, learning what moves were safe and when to not overstep his boundaries. Most of the time. Though he lost out on the Estoc of Faith, the Naginata of Suspension came smoothly into his arms, from predicting his reads safely. TE played a risky game and showed no fear, doing his best to carry on and use the house itself to his advantage.
He outplayed the house itself, but can he really win if he doesn't have a social game or competition wins to show?

We finished with a vote count of 3-3-1, and in order to break the tie, the receiver of one vote was chosen to pick the other two finalists to find a winner. The votes are as follows:

@Fiery_Lugia voted for TOTAL_EPICNESS
@quakingpunch73 voted for Blakers
@Brave Vesperia voted for TOTAL_EPICNESS
@NinjaPenguin voted for Blakers
@Hermes voted for Lorde
@mirdo voted for Blakers
@Little Cherrim voted for TOTAL_EPICNESS

@Lord o da rings voted for Blakers

By a final vote of 4-3-1, the winner of PokéBeach Big Brother: House of Horrors is...
@Blakers!
Congratulations!​

Last edited:
You feel your heartbeat quicken as you witness the final two deaths to take place in the house. You're not sure what scares you more, the deaths themselves or the feeling that you've become numb to witnessing multiple murders like this.

Blood splattered everywhere, she walks to you next, and you brace for a blade straight to your stomach. However, being slammed in the side of the head by the blunt end of the axe wasn't the impact you expected, and you're knocked out cold without a couple seconds to react.

PokéBeach Big Brother: House of Horrors
Epilogue

Yikes, what a blow... You wake up on the floor of the ceremony room, with no one around.
The ceiling is fixed, the walls are no longer torn, and the room is no longer on the brink of ruin. The void is gone.

You slowly rise from the floor, taking a look around, the room looks a lot nicer than it did the last time you were in there. No corpses, no blood, no haunted.
The Hostess doesn't seem to be around either...

The room is most certainly empty. You're not sure why, but it seems like this is a good enough time as any to make a run for it. You head for the doors and push them open.
Unlocked.
Running through the hall to the main entrance, your memory floods with the other houseguests. The rest of the people captured, forced to play this sick game. You can't help but feel angry at the Hostess, sad for the lives that were lost, but also quite thankful yourself that the one good thing the Hostess did...
...was hold her promise.

The doors to the main entrance are unlocked. Twisting open the doorknobs and pushing, the rays of sunlight feel incredible. You take a step out of the house and that's when the realization hits you.

You're free.

Free from this game, from the torture and the murder, the pain and the fear of losing your life...

It's over.
You won.

You step further out of the house, but upon taking your third step out, you hear a familiar giggle.

Hope to see you again sometime!

The giggling fades as you walk further and further from the house. You'd be sure to never explore this area again.

Hostess Note

...He left today. Or did he? Was he ever really in the house in the first place?

After so long... I never did find who I was looking for. The long wait, and all the pain... it never led up to anything.

Instead, what happened was terrifying. Absolutely frightening.

Over the past ten weeks... I'd subjected several unknowing souls to torture, pain, and murder. It was all for my personal gain. All to see them again.

This house... This house is nothing but a dark being that has trapped so many people and subjected them to these horrors. Death, fear, torture, despair... and all of it... all of it was caused by me, wasn't it...

All because of my resentment.

I never did find him. After all this time, I never did.

This game, and these victims... all they taught me was that all this pain was caused by my resentment. This house seemed to feed on it, the pain I had and my unwillingness to forgive others.
...That's how I became Hostess.

I thought I was in charge of everything. If I gave in, I'd become stronger. Strong enough to find him and seek my revenge. I gave in and it felt amazing.

I can't believe anyone could let that happen. How insane did I have to be to let something like that happen?

...All because I died, myself.

The Hostess grabs the Axe of Despair. Taking a deep breath, she relaxes her arms. Tightening her grip on the weapon, she swings.

A final scream resonates through the room.

You know that looking behind you isn't something you should do, but you can't help yourself. Peeking over your shoulder on your walk to freedom, you're left stunned.

...The House of Horrors is gone. The victims, the Haunted, the Hostess... all of it. Disappeared.

The next day, you happen to hear on the news of several people in the area gone missing.

And unfortunately, you know that none of them...

...None of them will ever be found, for the rest of time.

Game End

Hi, your hostess VioletValkyrie here. I just want to thank you all so much for being a part of my first solo Forum Game project. I've absolutely adored PokéBeach Big Brother ever since I started playing in the second game, and ever since I started playing the third it's been a big dream of mine to host a game of my own. It's been an absolute wild ride and this game had an incredibly long production time, it took me eight months to plan everything necessary to start it, and even then I had to change so many ideas and create so many new ones, some of them even happened while you were playing the game!

I'm here in this final post out of character to give you guys some explanation on things as well as just give my general thoughts and once again, really show my appreciation for your engagement and support in this game. Waiting eight entire months to make something people enjoy to this degree has been incredible.

> General Concept
The setting of a haunted house you can't leave isn't that original, sure. This setting meant a lot to me after a few friends and I from years ago came up with a running joke that we were trapped in a house just like this and had to catch a killer. If I wanted to make a horror-based game, this was my best shot at making a comfortable setting, where I could just easily add rooms for whatever I wanted to make in the house. I've heard from some people that they imagined the house as similar to Luigi's Mansion, and I honestly wouldn't disagree with that, as funny as it sounds.
After playing BB3, I had thought that the game had balanced itself by just making every possible advantage very strong. Sort of a "If everyone is overpowered, no one is overpowered" concept which I never agreed with. When making something horror based, the most important idea is that people are afraid of the unknown, and playing a game like Big Brother, there are times where you're unsure of what will happen next in the game, and this gets frightening as a player.
My general theme for this game was a false sense of confidence. As the hostess I wanted people to question everything that would happen and wonder if it was ever truly safe. My favourite moment of this is at the beginning of Week 4, where Lorde says she's actually angry because of thinking that someone died just due to something outside of the competitions, and I honestly had a good laugh at that because it's exactly what I wanted. At the very beginning of the game, I had told the players that the Hall of Knives was a complete red herring. The point was never to win the competition, but it was something that immediately scared everyone in the game into thinking they could do nothing to win, and that it was all based on random chance.
I drew a lot of general inspiration. Some of the more apparent ones are Castlevania (due to the reliance of weapons, a life-form that clearly isn't human as the ruler of the game's setting) and Doki Doki Literature Club (the area of the finale being an enclosed space with a void outside, and the theme of a false sense of confidence in a horror game) but I had also pulled ideas past DDLC. That game is somewhat linked to a horror story about a woman murdering someone just to feel what it's like and specifically using an axe, however she used the blunt end of it in a smart way. This is why the Hostess is depicted with an axe, and why the blunt end of the axe is mentioned several times throughout the game. That horror story is one of my favourites, and easily created the original concept for the Hostess.

> The Hostess and the game's Story
I viewed this project not only as a forum game, but as an actual horror story with writing, so I went very deep with flavour and created things like the house, the Hostess and several aspects to make this not only a fun game, but an enjoyable thing to read through. That's why the threadmarks for the weeks have been renamed to chapters, and the game has an epilogue.

First of all, reading that epilogue you may be a bit confused on what the Hostess is referring to at a couple points. This was mostly addressed at the end of Week 8 but I want to clear this up. The Hostess is a previous player of the game (who isn't based on myself or another actual player, rather just one who was made up to give this character to) and had been backdoored by another player who she trusted. Backstabbed and left to die, she began to resent this other player and made it her goal to find him and take his life once she realized she was stuck in the house. After a while and learning about the house itself, she had assumed the role of Hostess in order to achieve this goal, attempting to pull people in, which ended up drawing in the actual players of this game, you guys. Through the entire game, she watches the house and hopes one of the players is the person she's looking for so she can fulfill her revenge and avenge her death. However, unbeknownst to her, the other player isn't found in the house, and she ends up feeding her resentment into constant murders. By Week 8 she snaps and resorts to all she can to accomplish this goal of hers. This is the point where's basically shown to go insane, and some ridiculous game mechanics start coming in. I felt this would be a fun way to make the later rounds of the game more engaging for older players. Dainslef, Gungner, and the Silver Gun and Bullet are specific advantages that can only be used after the red moon rises, making players have to change their plans and adapt to things they never saw coming.

> Twists and Advantages
BB3 was very interesting to me in the fact that in contained Advantages, something I believe should become a staple in the series, changing up gameplay and offering interesting abilities to the players who collect them. I fell in love with the idea of tying the advantages to a certain theme, which at that point were the Seven Deadly Sins. I considered re-using the idea but quickly dropped it due to seeming unoriginal. I wanted to create something completely new.
I then thought to find things that were more unique and couldn't be guessed easily. The theme for BB3's advantages were guessed very quickly, and I wanted to still surprise players by preventing them from guessing what was coming. My theme for advantages was weapons, many people were quickly aware of this, but something no one was aware of was that these weapons are all based on different weapon types from Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. The knife, axe, polearm, mace, and sword all have different play styles and change combat differently in the game, so I thought it would be a neat idea to implement that. The Red Moon advantages were all based off specific or high-leveled items of some of those weapon types. Dainslef is a powerful greatsword that can curse foes, Gungner is a powerful polearm that can attack with lightning and the Silver Gun is the best handgun in the game.

For those of you who never got them, or never used them, here is a list of the normal advantages with a small description of what they would do.
Trusty Pocket Knife - Raise your score in the current competition at the risk of having 2 more votes against you in the next death ceremony.
Axe of Judgment - Break ties yourself, instead of the Grand Reaper for that week.
Naginata of Suspension - Okay, you all saw what this did. Gain a free week off, but die if you tell someone before the week ends.
Mace of Misfortune - Ignore every vote during that week's ceremony and one of the two tagged houseguests are killed at random. Lose your vote weight for the game.
Estoc of Faith - Use it on another player to swap scores with them during a competition. They'll be told it's just an advantage that boosts their score.

This is a big one that I'm sure people are wondering about: What about the statues?
...I wasn't lying when I said if you guessed correctly, you would instantly win the game. I created the statues as a way to distract people from playing the game itself and getting too greedy, and thinking they could simply win by guessing something rather than winning the game properly. One person had told me they refrained from guessing the theme of the statues because they were afraid the statues would kill them. This is something I never thought of and honestly, the whole thing backfired. Now that the game is over, I'll tell you the correct answer.
UMA.
The three statues depict the Yeti, Flying Humanoid, and Mothman enemies from Dawn of Sorrow and act as the final advantage to follow the theme. These three are secret enemies you wouldn't normally encounter, but the game teaches you about their locations and how to defeat them through the in-game magazine UMA News.
I intentionally created the statues absolutely sure that no one would ever guess correctly, and I was right.

As a small touch, before they were re-worked and changed, Dainslef had originally planned to be the Portrait of Markov, as a reference to Doki Doki Literature Club, as well as the Mace of Misfortune being A small wooden box with a heart on it, as a reference to the horror story linked to the game.

Some of you may be wondering about other features the game had. The graveyard was planned as not only a method to earn an advantage (The Trusty Pocket Knife) but I had hoped a player would continue making confessions and feed into a late-game trap. Somewhere during the last three weeks, I had planned for an End of Week event to reveal every single graveyard confession publicly to the entire game. This never happened due to the overall lack of confessions made.

Crying for help during End of Week was a very valid strategy that most of you ignored! It ensured that you were never at risk of any negative effects during the week to come, and eventually, Gungner was given to the last player standing who had cried every single week. This eventually went to mirdo, who cried at the end of every week until his elimination.

> Closing Thoughts
I think this shows just how massive this game was and how much work and effort was put into putting it all together for you guys. I'm actually incredibly happy we were able to fill sixteen entire spots for sign-ups as that's a big number compared to the first two games of BB on the site. I really enjoy playing this game and I hope I could help continue to spread the appreciation and fun I've had with it for quite a while. I hope this post just shows the amount of fun I've had creating this game because putting eight months of thought into this game... Wow. You come up with a lot of stuff.

So that's about all from me, where do we go from here? What's next for PokéBeach Big Brother?
Well, the funny thing is I've already had someone ask me if I'm planning a BB5. The answer would be no, but there are some plans hanging around, and honestly I'm just excited to be a player again. I'm sure some great stuff is coming soon.

I really do appreciate everyone signing up for this game and I hope that over the weeks I could make this a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone involved. It was an honour being your Hostess.

0HAzKiw.png

Last edited:
Oh my god jury, y’all took your sweet time. But woohoo, it’s finally over! This was such a nerve wracking season, yet so fitting due to the theme of death. Also no comebacks, that’s a first! Vi I said I wanted all your plans multiple times throughout the game, that hasn’t changed, hit me up. Congratulations to @Blakers for winning, if it wasn't me it had to be you, I'm so glad one of us took home the gold!

Thanks @Little Cherrim, @TOTAL_EPICNESS, @NinjaPenguin and Blakers for being killer allies throughout the game. We never had a name for our group, but I'm officially naming us the Fab Five and there's nothing you can do to stop me. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thanks @VioletValkyrie for hosting a breathtakingly clean game, with no short supply of tasteful twists and likely the best hosting job the series has had thus far. But, I intend to one-up you there, as I have a completed draft ready to use for the 5th season of this series. If I get the app approved, I plan to give players a breather in the case that they’ll be playing, but I hope you’re all as pumped about it as I am!

And thanks to each and every one of you for signing up to at least try the game. Hosts love to see their games get filled (and I remember the scramble for a full roster this season in particular had), so no matter your finish or reason for elimination, thank you.

Blakers03/19/2018
Are you kidding me? Lorde and I are both dead at the word go in BB4.
Princess Violet03/19/2018
You not so much.

I feel like I built a legacy for myself, 3 for 3 with finales (including TC8) and having played high-level games in both BB3 and BB4. I guess that’s what I did, make it to end at all costs. Even though the jury doesn’t seem to agree, I played a damn good game this time around and I’m proud of it.

I believe myself, over multiple seasons, to have been one of the best players of the BB/TC archetype... and I don't know how to improve on that. These games have sparked debates, been the source of lots of laughter, and have really challenged my skills when it came to weaving my way through. I'm proud of myself, and I don't regret a single one of them.

My long-term FG career likely ends here I won’t be able to touch one of these games without instantly being eliminated. My “story” has been told, and admittedly it's time to let other people into the bigger playing field. It's been nothing short of an amazing ride.

Thanks for an incredible season you guys, it’s been a pleasure!

- Lorde ・゚✧*・゚✧

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back