Contest PokéBeach Create-A-Card: April 2018 - Member's Pokemon ~ Official Judging Up!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
The text-based seems to have a lot of competition, but the image-based has badly struggled, with only three entries up for the vote.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Fan-Voting Results
And that's the deadline! We didn't have near as many people cast a vote this month, which was slightly odd. Any ideas on why that may be?

Image-Based:
1st:
@Jabberwock - Keeper's Cradily - 42 points
2nd: @Nyan - Gekki's Kartana - 25 points
3rd: @MarshalBry - _____'s Mimikyu - 17 points

Text-Based:
1st:
@VioletValkyrie - Lorde's Alolan Ninetales-GX - 5.5 points
2nd: @blahblahbal - Gekki's Kartana - 4 points
3rd: [TIED] @double o squirtle - Vracken's Gengar || @Professor_jplap - The Last Shaymin's Shaymin - 3 points

Otherwise, see you in May!

VioletValkyrie

You're out of your mind.
Thank you once again for another first-place in fan-voting this year! I'm incredibly honoured to create work people enjoy and eagerly look forward to seeing judging! Thank you!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Image-Based Results

Judge: @bbninjas

Jabberwock:
xrukbsa.png

The aesthetics are absolutely on point! I am impressed that the card isn’t eyesore, despite that smorgsoban of colours. The slight disparity between the holosheet over the art and the holosheet over the borders is a nice touch.

Ancient Host is a fresh swing on your typical acceleration, and has a neat side effect of increasing Cradily’s longevity. I am a little bit concerned about power-levels, though. Since the PokeBody can activate on the Bench, you could easily be increasing your damage output for attacks that do damage based on the number of Energy attached to all of your Pokemon, by at least 2 each turn - and that adds up to huge numbers. Fortunately, the DP format tended to put limits on such attacks, nor is there many easy ways to get so much Energy in the discard, and so this effect can’t be that abused.

Minion Call has some very fun flavour and is a rather unique effect, so I like that. Final Farewell has a fairly standard effect, but I like the fun interaction it has with Ancient Host. I also like how both this effect and the Minion Call can help create a sustainable cycle, and show that Fossil Pokemon can still be a viable mechanic.

Wording errors:
- Nothing seems off.

Fonts and Placement errors:
- Nothing looks odd.

Creativity/Originality: 13/15
(Very fun flavour and synergy.)
Wording: 15/15
(Everything looks fine.)
Fonts and Placement: 10/10
(Nothing seems out of place on this custom blank.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Should be right!)
Aesthetics: 5/5
(Stunning.)
Total: 48/50

Nyan:

Another poppy card from you, Nyan!

Smart Strike isn’t anything particular new, being reminiscent of Greninja’s Water Shuriken Ability. It seems fine power-wise, since you can only ever see that Ability in play once per game - an simply Guzma / Lysandre will take care of it.

I really like Ascending Katanas as an attack! It is a very clever and elegant way to give more power to the Bench Pokemon, without just adding an Ability that allows it to attack from the Bench, which is very tempting.

The HP does seem to be a little too high for Kartana, especially considering it’s such a light-weight, glass-cannon Pokemon. Kartana-GX has only 170HP, for exampme, even though the threshold is a couple of 10s higher than that for GXs. I’d imagine the HP would be closer to 100.

Wording errors:
- The “(You still need the necessary Energy to use this attack.)” clause doesn’t feel quite right in the attack, probably because it is the last thing you read (and often will act on). I’d imagine that this effect would be written something like... “If this Pokemon is on your Bench and has the necessary Energy to use this attack, you may switch this Pokemon… and use this attack.” There isn’t a good reference for it though, so no points docked.

- The attack effects should start be a couple more pixels later than they already do. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 12/15
(Fun flavour, and a very elegant attack.)
(A n odd structure in the attack, but nothing to substantiate either argument.)
Fonts and Placement: 9/10
(A minor placement error.)
Believability/Playability: 4/5
(The Hp is a bit too high.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Looking very nice!)
Total: 44/50

MarshalBry:

I really like your take on the theme, Marshal! It keeps within the confines of the official card game, yet still having the potential to be personal.

Nothing strikes me as particularly new, otherwise. It’s a fun card with some nice birthday-related twists, although I would have liked to see some more out-of-the-box ideas on how to incorporate those twists.

Wording errors:
- There should be a comma between “Bench” and “you may”. (-1pts)
- “Birthday” shouldn’t be capitalised. X2 (-1.5pts)
- There should be a period after “...Resistance for Benched Pokemon”. (-1pts)

- The card name is a number of pts too small. (-1pts)
- The HP70 text should be quite a few pixels more down. (-1pts)
- The Ability symbol (and consequently the attack names) should be quite a few more pixels towards the left. (-0.5pts)
- The attack effects should start be a couple more pixels later than they already do. (-0.5pts)
- The fonts for both sets of PokeDex information is incorrect. (-1pts)
- The Illustration font is the incorrect font and is too small. (-1pts)
- You’re missing the set number. (-1pts)

Creativity/Originality: 10/15
(Fun flavour, but could do with some more out-of-the-box thinking.)
Wording: 12/15
(A few minor slips.)
Fonts and Placement: 4/10
(A number of misses in both departments.)
Believability/Playability: 5/5
(Seems good to me.)
Aesthetics: 4/5
(Delightfully comical!)
Total: 35/50

3rd Place: MarshalBry’s Birthday Mimikyu, with 35/50 points.
2nd Place: Nyan’s Gekki’s Kartana, with 44/50 points.
1st Place: Jabberwock’s Keeper’s Cradily with 48/50 points

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Text-Based Scores

Judge: @Luispipe8

1. @double o squirtle
Vracken’s Gengar Stage 2 HP: 130 [P] (Evolves from Vracken’s Haunter)
No. 094 / Shadow Pokémon / HT: 4’11” / WT 89.3 lbs

Ability: Sweet Tooth
Once during your turn (before you attack) you may discard as many Energy cards attached to this Pokémon as you want. For each Energy you discard, heal 10 damage from this Pokémon.

[P] Meanie Madness
Flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, put 1 damage counter on each Pokémon in play.

[P][C] I Know These Things 60
Your opponent can’t play any Pokémon from their hand to evolve the Defending Pokémon during their next turn.

Despite its love for fooling around, this Pokémon has a surprisingly low amount of respect for jokes.

Weakness: [D] x2 / Resistance: [C] -20 / Retreat: None
Creativity: 16/20
(Sweet Tooth looks good. A bit reminiscent of Goodra FLF but good. Meanie Madness follows Gengar's behavoir about messing with damage counters. And I know These Things is cool, though a bit similar to Banette ROS's Evolution Jammer. Interesting Resistance, tho, old-school.)
Wording: 13/15
(Going by Gourgeist CIN wording, the Ability should say you may discard any number of Energy cards from this Pokémon. Heal 10 damage from this Pokémon for each Energy you discarded in this way. I see no other errors.)
Believability: 15/15
(Balance-wise the card is nice. Ability is really hard to abuse unless used with something like Malamar FLI and keeping energy in play would be troublesome. Meanie Madness is a way worse version of Tapu Koko's Flying Flip. And IKTT is nowhere near as a heavy punishment as Archeops was. I mean, Banette himself was better than this and saw no play, so, it's all good.)
Edit Penalty: -2pts

Overall the card wasn't bad, just effects too similar to existing ones. Keep it up!

Total: 42/50

2. @Anime Psyclone
DragonFang101’s Druddigon EX / Basic/ HP:120 /Dragon
[C][C]Dragon Fang: 50
Discard the card on the top of your deck.
[C][C][C][C] Dragon Rush: 50+
You can discard an energy card attached to this Pokemon. If so, this attack does 50 more damage.
Weakness: Dragon+10
Resistance: Grass -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]
When a Pokémon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards
Creativity: 12/20
(Card's too generic.Effect's are nothing espectacular, although not vanilla. Only plus is the Weakness, I guess.)
Wording: 11/15
(First, the attack should say Discard the top card of your deck. Then, Dragon Rush should say You may discard an Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you do, this attack does 50 more damage. Also, unaccented é here.)
Believability: 13/15
(Well, balance wise is alright in terms of balance, only putting aside the HP. 120 for an EX is quite low, specially Druddigon where his normal cards have had 100-110 HP. Also, that weakness is certainly weird. I mean, it has been literally eras since we had added Weakness instead of multiplied ones.)

The card was too simple for my liking. Weakest link was definitely Creativity, you should work on it for next time.

3. @Professor_jplap
@The Last Shaymin's Shaymin –[G] – HP70
Basic

Ability: Innocent Curiosity
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to your bench during your turn, you may switch it with your active Pokémon. If you do, during this turn this Pokémon's attacks do 40 less damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

[G] Grass Knot

This attack does 40 damage for each [C] in your opponent's Active Pokémon's Retreat Cost

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat:

This rare species is only found in the Pokebeach region. It loves cats and Splatoon, and getting like from the region's mysterious Professor_jplap,as well as making lots of profile posts.
Creativity: 13/20
(Innocent Curiosity is similar to Tapu Koko-GX's Ability (and some others beforehand), but with a curious twist. Grass Knot, however, is wildly predictable and not original. Can be improved.)
Wording: 12/15
(First, Active and Bench go capitalized, and the Ability should also say before applying Weakness and Resistance.)
(In terms of balance the card is good... No Retreat could be abused, but it's overall worse than Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX since it can only be triggered when played. No retreat in a Shaymin, though, it's kinda weird to see. And also, you forgot Dex stats.)
Edit Penalty: -2pts

It wasn't bat per se, it was just a bit too simple. Work on your creativity a bit more.

Total: 38/50

4. @Dusk Form Lycanroc
Anime Psyclone’s Flygon – [D] – HP 150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Vibrava

Ability: Levitate
Prevent all damage done to this Pokemon by your opponents [F] Pokemon.

[F][F] Dragon Tail 100
During your next turn this Pokemon’s Dragon Tail attack does 20 less damage

Weakness: Fairy (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C]
By flapping their wings, Flygon cause sandstorms that conceal Krookodile. The team then splits the prey they catch.
Creativity: 13/20
(Levitate is... well, what you would expect from it, what else could it be? :p And Dragon tail is alright, the damage reduction is... interesting.)
(First, you're missing an apostrophe in opponent's for the Ability, and a comma after turn in Dragon Tail. Also, unaccented és in Pokémon.)
(In terms of balance, the card is alright. Type-specific immunities are troublesome but there are countless waysto deal with them, as well as being a Stage 2 it'll be relatively slow to set up. Dragon Tail's effect is off from what it should be (read Druddigon DRV), and you also forgot the Dex stats.)

You should work on your effects a little bit more, perhaps.

Total: 37/50

5. @VioletValkyrie
Lorde's Alolan Ninetales-GX - Water - HP220
Stage One - Evolves from Lorde's Alolan Vulpix

【 Ability: Right-Hand Duchess 】
Once during your turn (before you attack), If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may discard a Violet's Luxray from your hand. If you do, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to this Pokémon during your opponent's next turn.

[W][C] Rallying Empire 20x
This attack does 20 damage times the amount of Energy attached to all of your Pokémon.

[W][W][C][C] Hail to the Queen GX
Search your deck for up to 12 [W] Pokémon and discard them. Shuffle your deck afterward. Then, place two damage counters on your opponent's Pokémon in any way you like for each card you discarded. (You can't use more than one GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [M] x2
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C]

Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Creativity: 18/20
(The Ability looks really good, I like it. Rallying Empire is nice, but we've seen some attacks like that. And Hail to the Queen is just awesome.)
(First, in the Ability it should say If this is your Active Pokémon, once during your turn (before youR attack), and if in lowercase. Finally, it should say you discarded IN THIS WAY.)
Believability: 5/15
(The Ability is worrysome. Sure, you could run only 4 Luxray... but there are /countless/ ways to retreive them. Rescue Stretcher, Super Rod, Puzzle Of Time, Brock's Grit... I lost count of how many Luxrays could be used. Sending it to the Lost Zone would have been better. Both Rallying Empire and the GX attack are fine cost/damage wise, but definitely the Ability is off the charts...)

I really liked the card a lot, but it turned out to be uber-broken. Watch out for those details a bit better.

Total: 34/50

6. @rainyman123
Violet’s Luxray HP 150 Lightning
Stage 2 - Evolves from Violet’s Luxio
NO. 405 Gleam Eyes Pokémon HT: 4’07” WT: 92.6 lbs.

[L] Queen’s Glare
If the Defending Pokémon has any Special Energy attached to it, you may leave the Defending Pokémon Paralyzed and your opponent can’t play any Supporter cards from their hand during their next turn. If you do, this Pokémon can’t use Queen’s Glare during your next turn. If the Defending Pokémon does not have any Special Energy attached to it, put 5 damage counters on it.

[L][L] Thundering :knife: 100+
If this Pokémon or any of its previous Evolutions were damaged by an attack during your opponent’s last turn, this attack does nothing. If this Pokémon has no damage counters on it, this attack does 50 more damage.

Beware of this special breed of Luxray, it has learned to use a knife!

Weakness: Fighting x2
Resistance: Metal -20
Retreat: 2
Creativity: 19/20
(Queen's Glare is definitely an interesting Attack, really complex. And Thundering Knife is actually really nice. At first glance it can be a bit confusing, but it does have sense. A really nice job!)
(Wording's a-okay!)
Believability: 14/15
(At first yeah, I see how you see the Attacks are balanced since there are impediments to its triggering being consecutive... But well, effects go away when a Pokémon is moved to the Bench. As easy as playing a Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX with a Float Stone you are guaranteed both a Supporter Lock and Paralysis as long as the Active has any Special Enery and once there, only by playing something like double Switch/Escape Rope to bring it back up and retreat to discard it you'll be able to get rid of it, so the lock would be almost permanent. HOWEVER... you're not dealing damage. For a Paralysis lock like that I'd rather use Raichu BUS instead. And if your opponent doesn't have any Energy then it's a mediocre attack at best. One of its effects /can/ be abused to a certain point with some sort of disruption strategy, but it'd be way more complex than the infamous Gothitelle/Accelgor/Mew-EX/Dusknoir/Munna deck played some years ago. You did well enough!)

I thought this card had nothing really spectacular going for it, but I was gladly proven wrong. Keep up the good work!

Total: 48/50

7. @blahblahbal
Gekki's Kartana - Basic - Metal - HP110
Ability - Brotherhood of the Blade: This Pokémon's attacks do 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon for each Aegislash on your Bench.

[M][M][C] Bladey Bois 90-
This attack does 10 less damage for each Aegislash your opponent has in play. If this Pokémon's remaining HP is 60 or less, this attack does 20 less damage for each Aegislash your opponent has in play.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: 2
Creativity: 20/20
(Brotherhood of the Blade is amazing, the way it deals damage to the Bench with attacks that shouldn't... it's something we've rarely seen, if ever; I can only remember an old League rule for a Fennekin challenge. And Bladey Bois is really good as well. Simply outstanding!)
(First, the clause for applying/not applying W/R to Benched Pokémon should be in the Ability. And although the wording isn't necessarily incorrect, the Attack isn't clear enough: if Kartana has 60HP or less, it should extract 20 damage times the Aegislash in play OR it should deal 20 damage less APART FROM the original 10. An instead of additional somewhere in the text could have made it a bit clearer.)
(Balance-wise is perfect. Damage cap is quite low for the Energy cost and potentially could deal less damage; and even if it deals damage to the Bench then it'll deal less damge to the Active because of the same reason. The points I'm deducting is for the lack of Dex stats/data.)

This was quite a really good work, blahblahbalablhablahbalhlblabhalbha, keep it going!

Total: 46/50

8. @Zero Umbreon
Lord Goomy's Goodra/Dragon/180 HP
Stage 2 - Evolves from Lord Goomy's Sliggoo

[Ability] Tidal Wave
Once per turn, (before your attack) you may search your deck for a Goomy, Sliggoo, or Goodra and put it onto your bench. If you do, put 2 damage counters onto this Pokémon for each Goomy, Sliggoo, or Goodra on your bench.

[W][W][W] Ya Bois! 100
This attack does 20 more damage for each energy attached to your each of your Goomy in play. Flip a coin for each Goomy in your discard pile. During your opponent's next turn, their active Pokémon's attacks will cost [C] more for each heads.

Weakness: [Y] x2
Resistance:
Creativity: 19/20
(Tidal Wave is really good, in my opinion. it gives off a sensation that those things are an actual plague. And the attack is quite interesting as well, given we've rarely seen effects like that that add attack cost. Quite fitting for a Goodra as well, nice job!)
Wording: 7/15
(In Tidal Wave, it should say Once DURING your turn, Bench should go capitalized and also the Shuffle clause afterwards, and there shouldn't be a comma after Sliggoo. For the attack, Energy goes capitalized, and the wording should be almost identical to Raichu-GX: This attack does 20 more damage times the amount of Energy attached to your Goomy. (Also, YOUR each of YOUR?) Finally, Active goes capitalized and the will shouldn't be there (read Goomy FLI).)
(This card is pretty well balanced, the Ability has an acceptable drawback and the only Goodra I can think of being somewhat abuseable is the PHF one and it's still quite bad... And the attack is pretty good since any sort of Water acceleration that can keep up a stream of Goodras attacking is just not going to fit in a deck like this; and also you lose a lot of stead if a Goomy gets KO'd; and let's not forget the added effect is based off of chance and that it can be dealt with by switching or retreating, while being powerful enough for a Stage 2 Pokémon with an all [W] Energy requirement. Points deducted are for the lack of Dex Stats/Data.)

The card was really good on paper, Zero. Just look up to those Wording mistakes and I'm sure you'll do great next time!

Total: 39/50

9. @GM DracLord
Gallade PB Lv. 55 HP 90 [F]
[BASIC]

*The background is dark with spotlight centre orund Gallde on a stage in a stance of that of a person waiting for his partner*

SP [PokéBeach Member's Pokémon] [Luispipe8]

[Poké-Power] Psychotic Dance
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may discard up to 2 cards from your hand. If you do, draw cards from the bottem of your deck until you have 5 cards in your hand. This power can't be used if Gallde PB is affected by a Special Condition.

[F][C] Sharp Tango 30
You may shuffle 2 Gardevoir PB from your discard pile into your deck. If you do, put 1 damage counter on each of your Opponent's Benched Pokémon.

weakness - [P] +20
resistence - [-]
retreat cost - [C][C]
Personal note: Psychotic Dance reminds me a lot of Psychotic Cut, an attack I did in my 2nd submission for the CaC... Oh, the nostalgia...

Creativity: 18/20
(Whenever I see a discard/replace and draw engine the first thing I think of is Claydol GE, and this is no exception. It's not the same, of course, but it's reminiscent of it, you gave it an interesting variation. And Sharp Tango is actually interesting, recovering Gardevoirs and dealing damage to the Bench. Nice card indeed.)
(Wording is imppecable. There are 2 typos, tho: bottem and Gllade in Psychotic Dance.)
Believability: 10/15
(Card's Balance is really close to the edge of too powerful. You have a draw engine in a Basic Pokémon and you can draw up to 5. Uxie was absurdly good and you drew until you had 6, and it was a 1-time use. With this you can have 2 Gallade in play and have a REALLY powerful draw that was really easy to put into play. You do have a drawback and it sorta pays out, but the effect is still too powerful for a Basic and considering how Claydol GE played.)

Card was alright, but the Ability is off-balance. Watch out a bit more carefully next time.

Total: 65/50 for being a Gallade of my own 41/50

10. @DashKing
Vracken’s Gastly
Basic 50HP
[P] Pokémon

Ability: Vengeful Spirt: If this Pokémon had been knocked out during your last turn, place it on your bench with a Spirt counter. If this Pokémon is knocked out during your or your opponent’s next turn, your opponent does not take a prize card. This Pokémon cannot use Willing Sacrifice if it has a Spirt counter on it.
[.] Final Wish
Remove a Spirt Counter from this Pokémon. If you can’t discard a Spirt counter attached to this Pokémon, this attack does nothing. Place 1 damage counter on all Pokémon in play. Choose one of your opponent’s Pokémon. That Pokémon and all cards attached to it are shuffled back into your opponent’s deck. This Pokémon and all cards attached to it are placed in the Lost Zone. Search your deck for 1 other Vraken’s Gastly and place it in the Lost Zone. You may take one card from your lost zone and put it into your hand (Other than Vraken’s Gastly).
[C][C] Willing Sacrifice
Knock out this Pokémon. Discard 3 Pokémon Tools from your Pokémon. If you can't discard 3 Pokémon Tools from your Pokémon, this attack does nothing. If this Pokémon has a Spirt counter attached to it, this attack does nothing. At the end of your turn, the Defending Pokémon will be knocked out. Place a damage counter on all Pokémon in play.
Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat:
(It's clearly evident the amount of thought you must have given each effect, with how complex each and every one of them are, and not to an exaggerated way. Nice job!)
Wording: 3/15
(Can I deduct 50 pts for Spirt?Ehem... First, the Ability should have its activation clause Once during your turn (before your attack); Knocked Out, Bench, Prize should be capitalized, and counter all lowercase. Then, the attack should say If you can't remove(...) Shuffle that Pokémon and all cards attached to it into their deck. Put this Pokémon and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone. You may put a card from your Lost Zone (except for Vraken's Gastly) into your hand. The other attack should read Knock Out this Pokémon.(...) Put 1 damage counter on each Pokémon (both yours and your opponent's). Also, I'm 150% positive it's spelled Vracken...)
Believability: 12/15
(Well, the card is pretty much balance. Effects /could/ be powerful but the requirements are quite complicated... I mean, Doom News Absol laughs at Willing Sacrifice. Introducing a counter so specific for a Pokémon is something, albeit seen a long time ago, something that probably won't be done in a while. Also, lack of Dex Stats/Data.)

Card's thought wa marvelous, although the wording needs a lot of work.

11. @Vracken
Jabberwocks Honedge – Metal – HP02
Basic Named Pokémon
WSz9Sjv.png

Named Rule - You can only have one Jabberwock Pokémon in play at any time. If you would have two, choose one, put the other into the Lost Zone. (This does not count as a Knock Out.)

Ability: Accident Prone
If this Pokémon would take damage or have damage counters placed on it (or be hit by a light breeze), it is Knocked Out. No effect can prevent this Knock Out.

[M] Sacred Shadow Sneak Sword
The Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out at the end of your opponent’s next turn if this Pokémon is in play. (but seriously, how? Is your opponent trying to lose the game?).

Weakness: Everything (x Does it matter?)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C]
Somehow being knocked out constantly this Honedge relies heavily on the healing from a naive Riolu.
NO. 679 Sword Pokémon HT: 2’07’’ WT: 4.4 lbs.
(Okay, apart from the effects being original to a very decent extent, it also made me crack out of laughter, so it's a very well deserved 20/20.)
(Ok, I'm aware of the jokes, but judging is no joke to me (?). So, (or be hit by a breeze) is unnecessary since merely a soft exhalation would KO it, (but seriously, how? Is your opponent trying to lose the game?) is though accurate not supposed to be there, Does it matter? isn't in any numerical scales unless it's a combination of physical, chemical and mathematical constants, which could result in an awfully bizarre number.)
Believability: 5/15
(Jokes aside, the only reason I'm giving this card 5 pts is because it could be printed in a similar way as Imakuni's cards. But the funny text combined with the Everything Weakness and 02 HP just take this card lower than my humor threshold (?). I'm not even going to go into Balance, I feel it's not necessary and that the card is so underpowered that I feel bad for the poor guy.)

In retrospect, you got waaaaay too many points for a joke card xD But I definitely enjoyed it, keep it up!

Total: 38/50

12. @TheFlyingPidove
Vracken's Gengar / Stage2 / HP: 130 / Psychic
~ Evolves from Vracken's Haunter

094.png

[ NO. 2849 | Meanie Pokémon | HT: unknown | WT: unknown, but very fat. ]

[Ability] Ghost Lock
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, your opponent can't attach any Energy cards from their hand to 1 of their Benched Pokémon.

[P] Hug of Death ^w^
Put 3 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon for each Energy attached to that Pokémon.

[P][C][C] Meanie Move [60+]
This attack does 20 more damage for each Energy card in your opponent's discard pile.

Weakness: [D] x2
Resistance: [F] -20
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

[Dex Entry: This meanie is mean.]
Creativity: 15/20
(Ability is interesting, we've seen some Energy blockades before but nothing this direct to deal with Bench; Hug of Death ^w^ (God, the name...) isn't that extraordinary, and Meanie Move is nice but we've seen attacks like that, I remember Drifblim DRX at first thought. Not bad, but could be better.)
(To begin with, the Ability isn't really badly worded, but it is ambiguous. I'll cover it in the next section. Apart from that, everything looks good.)
Believability: 10/15
(Balance is alright-ish. Meanie Move's damage output can be utterly high but being a Stage 2 Pokémon with a 3 Energy requirement can be difficult to stream. I'll pack a punch, tho. And the Ability's weirdness is that, the way you wrote it, cound be interpreted as all Pokémon, where the 1 of should be taken out, OR, one specific Pokémon that you choose, but you lack a sentence explaining it, like choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon (...). Also, so mean with the Dex Stats)

Well, TFP, same as Vracken: a really good job for a joke card. :p

Total: Meanie/50 40/50

13. @Lord Goomy
Basic: @The Last Shaymin's Shaymin <> [G] HP100

<> (Prism Star) rule: You can’t have more than 1 <> card with the same name in your deck. If a <> card were to go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

[Ability:] Colorful Star
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your bench, you may search your deck for up to 4 Basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like.

[G][C] Grateful Scratch 20+
If you attached an Energy card to this Pokémon during this turn, flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 70 more damage. If tails, this attack does 40 more damage.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance:

Interests: Cats, Splatoon, Cats, Splatoon, Cats, Splatoon
Creativity: 17/20
(Ability is good, Energy acceleration from the deck is rarely seen (although for a reason...); and the attack has an interesting requirement, to be fair.)
(First, the Prism Star rule should say would go instead, and Rule goes capitalized. The Ability should read Bench capitalized and during your turn in the first sentence. Also, the Then, shuufle your deck. sentence.)
Believability: 11/15
(As I said, Energy acceleration on a Basic /is/ a complicated thing to work with. For a while, the most we had was Abilities like Afterburner and that had a sort of drawback; until we had Vikabolt... but still in a Stage 2 and limited to 2 specific types of Energy where you can only get one of each and not 2 of the same and only once per turn. On this case, you have an Ability several notches stronger in the way you can get 4 Energy and in the combination you desire. And despite being a Prism Star Card, the fact that it's a Basic Pokémon can leat to several ways of recycling it, with Super Scoop Up and Acerola to begin with (and Expanded adds Scoop Up Cyclone, Cassius and AZ to the pool). So you can abuse this effect at least 2 times per match, statistically speaking. Other Prism Stars are more complicated to trigger, like Giratina needing you to have Energy in hand every time, but this one searches the Deck directly. It can be abused quite a bit.)

Not really bad, it just fell a little short in each aspect. Try to polish up your entries a bit more next time!

Total: 39/50

14. @DoubleAACE
Aschefield's Torkoal GX - Fire - HP 180
Basic

[R] Sunny Day 30
During your next turn, all of your Pokémon's attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon for each [R] Energy attached to the Attacking Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

[R][C][C] Card Blank
Choose a Pokémon from outside of the game and put it onto this Pokémon to evolve it.

[R][R][R] SUNLAVA™ GX 150
If you opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, you may take 1 of the cards that would go to the discard pile and use it to try to reflect light into your opponent's eyes for the rest of the game instead. (That card is out of the game for the rest of the game. At the end of the game, return that card to your opponent.) (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Pokémon-GX rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: [W] ×2
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: [C][C][C]
(God, prank cards just keep coming...! Hahahaha, and Sunny Day is, interestingly, something you'd see in an actual card, it's not bad at all. Nice job!)
(Unlike the other prank cards, your effect is written in serious way... I think. And for those effects to be possible, that's the most appropiate wording I could see.)
Believability: 2/15
(Sunny Day is not that overpowered, since you need to keep using it for it to be a perpetual effect and it's highly probable your Torkoal will die. Card Blank can e used in a plethora of ways; being Mega Evolutions and Fossil Pokémon the most clear usage... unfortunately, given how wide the Pokémon in the attack is, you could even grab a Jumbo card of the overpowered kind and just sweep the floor with the opponent! c: And, as funny as SUNLAVA is, I'd personally give you an Unsportsmanship Behavior Penalty out of that. And, if it indeed was a card akin to Imakuni, you'd place you can't play this card in tournaments or something like that, so... Torkoal World Order, anyone?)

I have to admit I just can't avoid laughing at this cards, thank you for that! And in seriousness, keep up that work, everything else is perfect!

Total: 37/50

3rd Place: double o squirtle’s Vracken's Gengar, with 42/50 points.
2nd Place: blahblahbal’s Gekki's Kartana, with 46/50 points.
1st Place: rainyman123’s Violet's Luxray, with 48/50 points.

So this was April!
There was a tendency for spoof cards, which I really enjoyed, but general level wasn't quite in par to last Contest. I hope everyone keep in mind the judges' suggestions and try to improve your faking!

DoubleAACE

Professional Lurker
So, has anyone actually gotten lower than a 2/15 for believability before? XD
Or has the absurdity of Sunlava Torkoal managed to set a record?