Collecting Please can somebody help identify this card?

Oscar Francis

Aspiring Trainer
Hi There,

I have posted on another PTCG forum but havent had much luck in finding out about a card that i have.

It is a Pikachu Card 025/151 - It says on it:

'This is an extremely rare Pikachu card, You are very lucky to have found it'.

So the same text is on the 114/115 BW secret rare, but the image is different.

I bought these in December 2018 from Smyths toy store in Hampshire, England.

The image below is from a google search i did and found one the same after a long time looking. I have some pictures of my one and will upload them, as the image below doesnt seem to show its actually a shiny gold card.

I just want to find some more about it. Whats its official name etc. Is it actually rare?

Thanks all in advance

Oscar

extremely_rare_pikachu_cardgood_in_quality_have_plastic_cover_1487069025_c4a4971f.jpg

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm 99% sure it's a fake unfortunately. All the fonts are incorrect, and the Energy symbols used both in the attack and next to the HP are the wrong proportions. There's a few other tell-tale signs: Kouki Saitou, did not draw that art as far as I can find and incorrectly crediting an illustrator is something he Pokemon Company would never do. Kouki Saitou actually illustrated the BW Pikachu SR card, which is more evidence that this is just copied from them. Also, the set symbol is missing, and the set number is conveniently 25 / 151 -- Pikachu's PokeDex number is 25 and there were 151 original Pokemon -- and official 'extremely rare' cards would not have the "This is an extremely rare card" text on the card itself.

To confirm, you can try putting the card up to a light and:
-- Try to see through the card. If you can sort of see through, it's fake (official cards are not see-through).
-- Inspect the side edge of the card. Official PTCG carboard has a very thin black strip in between the front and back pieces of the card.

And if you would like a bit more certainity, you could try tearing the card a little and inspecting the inside. Official cards tear in a specific way (you can look up what ripped PTCG cards look like on Google).

Oscar Francis

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there,

Many thanks for your insight.

I have had a few responses from others elsewhere who seem to confirm what you are saying is correct regard images and numbering.

Still, its an oddity, but i quite like it.

It did come from a store bought pack, which is concerning.

Thankyou for your assistance.

Oscar

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Do you still have the pack? I have seen fake packs sold at dollar stores and flea markets, and they have become more sophisticated in the recent years.