Discussion Playing Tech for Cyrus

Connor Ritter

TCG Player
Advanced Member
So I was looking at how powerful Cyrus is in this format with benches full of evolved and support Pokemon, and was wondering: Is it worth adding a tech to a deck in order to play Cyrus?

Cyrus ◇ – Trainer, Supporter

This card can only be used if your Active Pokemon is [W] or [M].

Your opponent chooses 2 of their Benched Pokemon, then shuffles their other Benched Pokemon and all cards attached to them into their deck.

This means hindering decks like Zoroark, Metagross, Gardevoir, Solgaleo & anything else that fills their bench. Yes it also means they'll probably be removing an easy to target Tapu Lele, but probably not without a couple important stage 1 or 2 Pokemon as well.

From what I could find, the top tech contenders are Alolan Vulpix GRI, Octilery BKT, Starmie EVO or Stardust Jirachi in order to satisfy Cyrus's play condition in a deck that otherwise wouldn't play a Water or Metal Pokemon.

Do you think it's worth it? Would just playing 1 tech be feasible to get a Cyrus play in a game? Any other good Water or Metal Pokemon you can think of worth teching in?

Rensje

Departing for another world.
Cobalion comes to mind.

You would need to use Rainbow Energy to make it work in a deck that's not already using Metal typing, but its first attack basically protects you from attacking Basic Pokémon for a turn. Not too bad in a format where cards like Buzzwole are running rampant. It's second attack can also hit pretty hard, but it does specifically need 2 Metal Energy, which makes it a little hard to pull off if you are just playing it as a tech Pokémon in decks of another type.

Whether it's worth it, well.. I think we can all agree it's a very powerful effect when played at the right time, but it also gives your opponent the opportunity to reuse cards that have a 'slap-down effect' like Tapu Lele-GX.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
One top contender to use this with will definitely be Glaceon-Gx in my opinion. Returning Lele's into your opponents deck is not a problem if their ability is disabled.

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
If you're running Parallel City alongside Cyrus, and there's room for Rainbow Energy, I'd say Tapu Fini-GX is an instant candidate.
Bringing down your opponent from 6 Pokémon to 1 is a massive tempo play, if you can afford the pieces (which I assume you will, since Cyrus is the reason you'd be inputting the tech).

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
If you're running Parallel City alongside Cyrus, and there's room for Rainbow Energy, I'd say Tapu Fini-GX is an instant candidate.
Bringing down your opponent from 6 Pokémon to 1 is a massive tempo play, if you can afford the pieces (which I assume you will, since Cyrus is the reason you'd be inputting the tech).
They would still have 2 pokemon left over, Cyrus puts them down to two remaining pookemon

K-Genesis

Aspiring Trainer
They would still have 2 pokemon left over, Cyrus puts them down to two remaining pookemon

Parallel would bring the bench down to 3.
Cyrus would force 2 out.
Tapu Storm GX removes the active, leaving the sole benched Pokémon as the active.

Rensje

Parallel would bring the bench down to 3.
Cyrus would force 2 out.
Tapu Storm GX removes the active, leaving the sole benched Pokémon as the active.

Actually, Cyrus reduces the bench down to 2 Pokémon. The literal translation says 'Your opponent shuffles their Benched Pokémon and all cards attached to them into their deck until they have 2 Pokémon on their Bench.' So after you've used Tapu Fini-GX's attack there would still be 1 more Pokémon left on the bench.

Rensje

Of course, to really hit them where it hurts you would space these cards out. Play Parallel City first, make them think it won't happen again because most decks play a single copy, and then later hit them again with Cyrus. They'll have weeded the unnecessary cards out by then so when you get around to playing Cyrus you're forcing them to shuffle essential Pokémon back into their deck.

Danglesmcjangles

Spice Master General
Kartana-GX seems like a potential inclusion. Its got a pretty relevant ability right now, a decent GX attack and fits the bill for its metal typing. It also has an easy retreat cost so its not too big of a liability