TCG Fakes PikaMasterJesi's Image-Based TCG Fakes

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
Hey there guys! I've decided to give card faking a shot, so here goes!

First up, I've got a text-based fake of Pikachu. Nothing special here, just me giving it a shot.
Pikachu [Basic] - HP60 [L]

025.gif

[L] Thunder Jolt 10

[L] [L] [L] Thunder 100
Flip a coin. If heads, discard two [L] Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Weakness [F] x2 Resistance [M] -20 Retreat [C]
Like I said, it's pretty basic. Nothing special. However, I spent my lunch block today making a really bad image version. Here it is:
Bad Pikachu Blank.png
The fonts and Energy icons need some cleaning up here, for sure. They're off and the symbols definitely need cleaning up. I also didn't feel like putting in another [L] icon for the text under Thunder, so I put in "Lightning" and called it a day. To be fair, though, I made this in Clip Studio Paint, which isn't even a photo editing software. I'm definitely going to have to learn how to use GIMP for this stuff.

There you have it! I might make more, but it'll be on my own pace and they'll most likely be text-based. Thanks for taking a look!

Nice start! For the image fake, I suggest you check out our image faking guide here, particularly the step-by-step guide of the second post. GIMP would be much better to use, however, so you may want to get somewhat familiar with that first.

I used to use GIMP for drawings, but now I just use Clip Studio because it's so much easier to draw on it. Heck, I almost used my video editing software to make the image fake! I was just giving it a shot for fun, and I won't be making many of them. Thanks for linking the guide!

Meanwhile, here's another one, this time a Supporter that would be nice in the actual meta:
Each Pokémon in play, in both players' hands, or in the discard pile have no Ancient Traits until the end of your opponent's next turn.
I for one would love a card like this in the format. Helps with Bunnelby and Groudon.

Actually, I would advise against any form of Ancient Trait manipulation like that, if you're looking for maximum realism. Ancient Traits were designed so that they could not be turned off or otherwise manipulated. Otherwise they are no different to Abilities. Besides, I don't think Bunnelby and Groudon are that powerful - I think they are solid and balanced. I've actually written a mini-article on ATs, here. :p

I forgot about M Rayquaza and Entei. Honestly, I just find them a pain to deal with, and I wish there were some way to get around them. Once again, thanks for the link!

I forgot about M Rayquaza and Entei. Honestly, I just find them a pain to deal with, and I wish there were some way to get around them. Once again, thanks for the link!

Hey, let's make that a challenge for you! Why don't you design a way that gives decks opportunity to get around Bunnelby AT, P Groudon-EX, M Rayquaza-EX and Entei AT? However, here's the criteria:

- You cannot turn off or manipulate the AT mechanic itself directly
- Design/s cannot create a broken combination or be overpowered
- Design/s cannot be direct counters to the cards that make those cards unviable

(Hint: Bunnelby AT, P Groudon-EX, M Rayquaza-EX and Entei AT are already countered by using the correct game strategies - they really aren't that powerful. Perhaps you could design something to nurture these game strategies.)

EDIT: Forgot to credit myself on the Supporter. Whoops.

After finally getting Photoshop on my Mac, I decided to give image faking a shot again! Both examples I'm going to post aren't of actual Pokémon, though, even though it's Pokémon card faking. Oh well!
I also promise this will be the first and last time Benjamin Cloviet shows up in this thread.

The first one is this Supporter based off one of my OCs and one I mention way too much: Benjamin Cloviet. I literally grabbed a foil Lysandre, grabbed a blank and an old drawing, slapped the drawing on the card, and called it a day. Oh, and I added a random background onto the drawing. Here it is:
Creditmyselfnexttime.png
Very visually unappealing with the art, though I at least got font placement right, at least in my eyes. Used a Winchfall PSD as a reference. Basically, this is just a buffed Lysandre with flavour because why not? (This is one of few times flavour will show up, don't worry.)
Now onto the Pokémon card! This took considerably more time than the above Supporter (and had much more time put into it, and I used it to basically experiment around with Photoshop. I'm really proud of the holofoil, and I'm just really proud of how this turned out.
Benjamin Final?.png
After I finished the Supporter, I felt it didn't justify a proper blank enough and decided to make Benjamin into a Pokémon-class card. I was originally going to use Winchfall, which got scrapped, and then I was going to use an SR Colourless BW blank, but I was having trouble with the textured border and eventually gave up. I'm really happy with how this turned out, and although I still have a few improvements to make like font sizing, it looks fairly convincing, and it's something I feel really good about.
(I actually made the art specifically for this card, and it's actually pretty decent. Here's the full image.)
Benjamin Cloviet Card Art.png
Anyways, I hope you guys like these new fakes, and I hope to bring you guys more image fakes in the future!

Last edited:
Decided to make a Tapu Koko card by the request of @thegrovylekid! Shoutout to him for the spoiler, @double o squirtle for the art, and @Nick Sourtoshi for finding the holosheets from PTCGO!
Tapu Koko FA.png
I'm actually really happy with how this turned out. The attack spacing is great and the overall appearance of the card greatly improves on my previous image fakes. With the EX indicator, I took the standard XY holosheet and set it to Colour Dodge on 66% opacity and 12% scaling. The other holosheet was the first holosheet from Sourtoshi's thread layered on top of each other with Lighten 10%, Screen 30%, and Colour Burn 20%. With the background, it reminds me of a swimming pool.
I've decided that I really like image faking and will continue to do it. If you guys have any Pokémon you'd like to see me image fake, feel free to tell me and I'll make it! Thanks for stopping by!

Decided to make a Tapu Koko card by the request of @thegrovylekid! Shoutout to him for the spoiler, @double o squirtle for the art, and @Nick Sourtoshi for finding the holosheets from PTCGO!
View attachment 11070
I'm actually really happy with how this turned out. The attack spacing is great and the overall appearance of the card greatly improves on my previous image fakes. With the EX indicator, I took the standard XY holosheet and set it to Colour Dodge on 66% opacity and 12% scaling. The other holosheet was the first holosheet from Sourtoshi's thread layered on top of each other with Lighten 10%, Screen 30%, and Colour Burn 20%. With the background, it reminds me of a swimming pool.
I've decided that I really like image faking and will continue to do it. If you guys have any Pokémon you'd like to see me image fake, feel free to tell me and I'll make it! Thanks for stopping by!

It looks great, the only thing is the -EX indicator, as TPCI uses a vertical refractor holo for that instead of the typical XY diagonal refractor used on XY-series holo rares. Here is a compilation of foil sheets that I've found around (mostly on DA). In there is a horizontal refractor foil (I think I got it from either shiningbill or Cascade Gonpory). You'd probably need to shrink it down in order for it to look any good on the -EX indicator, but otherwise I think it should work.

~SS

Nice work Jesi! It's great to see you are tackling an EX. Everything looks quite nice, however there is still a lot that you can do with the holosheets. to dramatically improve card quality. On your card, you've placed a single holosheet over the art and the EX. While this is cool, it can be improved. First off, you may like to experiment with using different holosheets (this [rotated vertical] or this are nice) for the background and the art (which is best done using the clipping mask tool). This allows for the art to stand out a bit more and makes it look more polished. I've written up a list of what I did for my Gardevoir-EX FA in another thread, and you can find it here. The second thing I recommend is using various textures on the border, bars, art and background to spice your card up a bit, and make it more EX-y.

Thank you guys for the feedback and holosheet links! I've checked them out and I'll be sure to use them to improve my card faking!

EDIT: I put "afterwards" instead of "afterward". Fixed now.

It's been a while since I've been here. I just haven't been really inspired to fake, although I really should do more of it.

Recently, I drew a Meloetta, so I decided I'd make a card out of it! It's using a Winchfall blank this time, and it honestly didn't turn out that badly. Here it is!
Meloetta.png
I hope you guys like it! I also hope to do more image fakes in the future, although I'm not sure how that'll go with school and everything. ^v^

Last edited:
Done another card! I was told to do a Mimikyu a while back as a challenge, so I've done as such!
Mimikyu Final.png
The Ability name colour doesn't look right to me, and I feel like the Ability symbol is a little too low, but I'm not too experienced with doing Abilities. I actually had two different holosheets on this prior to the final version seen above, so since I couldn't decide between them, I'm going to show them off anyways.
Mimikyu4.png
This holosheet was done by @Nekoban Ryo. It's his Japanese Neo Shining holosheet.
Mimikyu5.png
This holosheet was done by @aschefield101. It's his BW Holo Rare holosheet.
Spoiler was made by @TheFlyingPidove!
Art was made by @double o squirtle!
Blanks and the holosheet on the final version of the card done by @aschefield101!

Thanks for taking a look!

Back